“birthday celebration”

Ranked #46 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Staten Island, New York
“birthday celebration”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

The location its fantastic, the rooms so clean and cool, the pool its fantastic. all the staff were very helpful and nice. The set up all the dinner reservation for us, and the connections to clubs, they also have a club in the hotel and we had a good time on the last day. My only complain they smoke in the club but that's Miami for you. I have asthma so it sucks for me. We were lucky to have in a pool party were Chris Humprey was a guest, he was very nice, I most say but was hanging with some idiots. anyway the hotel its fantastic!!!

Room Tip: Ocean View
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Having stayed here 10 years ago, I was slightly apprehensive that the Delano had gone downhill. Don't let some of the reviews below put you off. This was a memorable experience.

Yes, the hotel has a slightly lived in feel, but personally, I think this actually adds to the vibe. The Starck lobby and bar is still very cool and the gardens and pool are stunning.

We didn't have any problem getting poolside loungers but always booked before 9am. Staff were always friendly and helpful, especially Willy the concierge. The pool attendants do focus on those people ordering drinks but we didn't ever experience bad manners. Food and especially drinks are expensive but realistically, this goes with the territory. Frankly, it was reassuring that security politely ask for your room number when you approach the pool...

Yes, the rooms are minimalist and it is a battle to keep white decor looking fresh but the hotel is well maintained. Yes the bathrooms are too small to swing a cat. If that bothers you, maybe you should book elsewhere. We had no problem with noise from neighbouring rooms or the nightclub. Location is perfect, 5 mins from Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive. Would we return? Yes. Would we benchmark the package on offer against the SLS next door, or the Loews? Yes.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear XYZ274707,

Thank you very much for your review. I am truly happy to hear you had a memorable experience with us. I would like to personally extend myself to you as your Delano ally, so whenever you are interested in returning, please do not hesitate to reach out to me. You may contact me at Dwight.Palacious@mhgc.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 6, 2014

First time to south beach hotel was not what I expected ,along with the rest of the restaurants and bars aside mangos. The pool area seemed only place of good quality, and of coarse to my luck just like many others the pool was closed for a "private party" when I wanted to go down to after resting. Room quality is terrible for the cost. Service seemed good, though I'm not one to request anything much anyway. Seems like 45+ Social group place to hang. Overall 3 star quality for 5 star pricing. Hate to see what 300$ a night would get you if this is what 700+ does.

• Stayed March 2014
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Dz1005,
I am sorry to hear that your South Beach experience did not turn out the way you had hoped, but glad to hear you did find Mango’s enjoyable. On occasion, we do host private events in our pool area, but these types of events are mostly limited to part of the evening time, so the pool area is available during the day time and later at night. I am sorry that you did not like quality of room you had. We offer an array of different rooming options and I am confident we could have provided a room better suited to liking, to which you would have been more comfortable in. If you would like to elaborate as to why you felt the room was so dreadful, I invite you to contact me directly at Dwight.Palacious@mhgc.com. It does not seem as if you had the opportunity to enjoy the hotel in its entirety and if you decided to return I would personal ensure a much better and more positive experience with us.
Kind regards,
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Nothing that compares to beautiful, iconic Delano,South Beach, and I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in Miami. I found Delano five years ago after a glowing recommendation from Travel channel and I have been visiting 3-4 times a year for a full week each time ever since. Special thanks to the amazingly thoughtful and talented Dwight Palacious - Guest Relations manager. You are Fabulous ! No detail is overlooked, and as you know, I notice EVERYTHING ! Also a big respectful 'thank you' to VP of Regional Operations, JP Oliver. Thank you for all that you do ! What you guys accomplish in a very challenging business market is impressive.
From the moment you arrive at Delano, between the beautiful hotel/grounds, and the amazing guest service, you realize you have arrived in a special 'one of a kind property' that can be used for total relaxation, for rest and pure indulgence, OR for a sort of celebratory atmosphere with opportunity for lots of socializing or dancing if you please . Really, there is no need to leave this gorgeous property......it is a self -contained hotel with beautiful South Beach right in its backyard. It is within walking distance of Lincoln Road, and many other attractions/eateries. When you do first arrive at Delano, you are greeted by efficient, pleasant staff that are very eager to please -this where you first experience the world-class hospitality at its very best in the infamous indoor/outdoor front lobby. Art Deco pieces everywhere in this gorgeous updated Philip Starke design. Dark floors, huge columns, and artful displays in this interesting area make for a lovely, comfortable arrival. The many varieties of seating areas for quiet time or for socializing, instantly set the tone. Some of the great food/ beverage choices include the Rose Bar, Delano Beach club and the delightful, delicious Umi Sushi. These eateries and seating /socializing areas, are scattered throughout this enormous lobby that extends itself all the way to the back side of the building where you will find Bianca - the main restaurant at Delano which proudly boasts incredible indoor and outdoor seating choices and an even more incredible variety authentic/organic cuisine. I am an avid 'foodie' , and these appetizers and entrees are among the finest dishes I've had the pleasure of experiencing. Ridiculously delicious ! Please see review of 'Bianca at Delano' . Excellent management by Director Mahmood Abousalem and Manager Rosario Magrelli with their pleasant 'ever presence'. Delano has a variety of gorgeous, clean, crisp guest room choices that are all simply divine- fresh, clean and entirely 'white on white' with the finest linens on an extremely comfortable, relaxing bed. The decor is beautifully accented with Carrera marble, a large HD flat screen, lots of beveled edged mirrors and a formal marble bathroom with rainfall shower. Each room has a Bose sound system and an iPad for information or ordering services. In room treats include fine bath products by Malin & Goetz , and comfy robes for your use during your stay at the Delano. Club Essentia Spa (fab Steve and Aida) is one of the best I've experienced, with quite a variety of high quality services to indulge in. There is a great fitness facility, and also the famous nightclub downstairs called FDR. The huge fabulous pool with its wonderful staff is perfect for relaxing or socializing with a great selection of food, wine, cocktails.Comfy lounge chairs, Cabanas, and day beds are all available to hotel guests with an extremely attentive staff that know just how to make your day perfect. Secure beach access (with service and umbrellas available to hotel guests) offer another lovely option to enjoy the weather which, by the way, is pretty much perfect.
In addition to the above mentioned Managers, special thanks and acknowledgment for outstanding guest care to:
Front desk and lobby staff- Stacy , Sheerley , Natalie , Zooley, Jose, Willy, Sam , Aldo , Cesar and Jean- Claude
Poolside- Eman , Soledad , Diego , Mariano, Marco, Julie, Laurie , Lorena , Roberto x2, Camillo, Jay, Stephanie, Anna, Jeremy , Melissa , Katy , David
In Bianca-Amazing Chef Luciano Sauto, wine specialist Flavio , Fabulous servers Jason , Bradford ,Etti, Jana , Theo, Chris, Paulo , 'Gigi' , Lazarro, Fernando, Miguel, Ludovic ,Julie and Claudia . Wonderful hostesses Lacey, Cassandra , Kim and Miliica
Room service and housekeeping- Alvina, Judith, Shanika, Rebecca
Love and many thanks to all of you. You are an amazing, hard-working, dedicated group, and I'm so proud to have come to know you all so well. Your dedication and work ethic is quite evident every day and it does not go unnoticed . I can't wait to see you all again in a few weeks, and enjoy the fabulous ' Delano experience' once again.
Travelers , do yourself a great favor and come to Delano, it will not disappoint !

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Dja D,
Thank you for your lustrous and methodical review. Reading reviews like this are like giving the perfect gift to someone on Christmas day, and I am overjoyed to see your Delano experience was nothing short of amazing. Thank you for mentioning all the staff members that helped make your stay that much more special; I will be sure to forward your kind remarks to correct departments and ensure the employees mentioned hear your comments. It was, and is always, a pleasure having you and cannot wait to have you return. I hope you are keeping warm up north in New Hampshire.
All the best,
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Once a year at least , i try to head from England to South Beach Miami , for a rest and some great weather .

For the last six years , I have made one hotel, mytemporary home . The Delano, on Collins.
And what a hotel it is !!

* Stylish beyong recognition
* Trendy
* Cool
* Welcoming
With superbly attentive service !
The breakfast is one of the best i have ever experienced
The Bianca restauarant for dinner is excellent
I love the beach area , which is for Delano guests only and is fully serviced .
Many would prefer the pool area which is always happening but i prefer a bit of peace and quiet to relax in the sun , usually after a dreary winter in the UK

The Delano staff are great . Really happy to see returning guests and they make you feel at home. Like family .

Especially deserving of mention are three members of the staff :-

* Pedro. The concierge . The best i have ever come across . A real star and assett to Morgan hotels. He is BRILLIANT , Really !
* Ette , in the breakfast and Lunch area. The way she works the breakfast area , which is like out of a movie scene , is amazing to watch . Guests greet her like long lost family and she looks after them like no one else i have ever seen . Amazing . I have my own business and I would employ Pedro and Ette tomorrow !!
* Steven Hiblum . Steve was the manager until a recent promotion but he ran such a good team and it shows . Always keenly interested in feedback and helping to make my stay enjoyable . He is the best and he makes you want to return again and again

In summary ,yes a stay at the Delano is not cheap . But in life , what can you get which is worth having , that's cheap . What is cheap usually ends up being dear and in my opinion , you get what you pay for .

Treat yourself and book the Delano. It is THE BEST and Unique .

I loved my stay and will return for sure

Simon Taylor
Manchester, UK

Room Tip: I like either the City rooms or the part sea view rooms . To be honest ., the city view at night is...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear Simon,

Thank you for your glowing review. It was a pleasure having you with us and I am happy to hear you had another wonderful Delano experience. I will be certain to forward your kind words to Etty and Pedro. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and please do not hesitate to reach out to me for anything.

Warm regards,
Bayside, New York
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel. The staff were extremely helpful. Loved the back section decor. This is the perfect place to stay. Clean rooms. Very classy.... I will definitely return.... Excellent stay... My girlfriend really liked this place.....
Finally, book early enough. It is also the perfect place for business power lunches....

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank georgeny01
Lombard, Illinois
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We went there for our anniversary and my husband booked there for 3 days. $$$$ for each day but it would be nice if their service could keep up to the price. Everyone is so slow and the only quick one was the one checking if you are real hotel guest by the pool. Yeah, if you are ordinary looking person you will be stopped and checked every time you walk pass the pool.

Do NOT expect anything if you are normal (Non-Ultra-Sexy looking or Not-So-Fun-Seeking) couple or family like us. Partial sea view is a tiny strip of window from which you can peep the sea. You can't even do it while sitting. The furniture in the room are extremely old. The fact that everything is so white in the room makes it even more bizarre. Many other countless hotels are right on the beach too so do not get caught by the word "oceanfront".

Oh and sleep quality, yeah, if you want to sleep during night time like many other fellow human beings, do NOT go there. Some people amazingly do not sleep at all. I could hear they did you-know-what all night long. What am I expecting, it is South Beach, but giving $$$$ and not having a sound sleep is just a nightmare for me! I know many people go there for that purpose but I am not suppose to hear their business right?

Yes, finally, in check out time, try your best to get attention from a slow and not-so-eager-to-work group of gentle men with fake tan standing by the door. No they are not fashion models but valets. Good luck, fellow travelers.

Room Tip: Read the above
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RHofLombard
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear RHofLombard,
Thank you for submitting your review. Your review is enlightening but also concerning. Our staff and our service are our trump cards. There is no reason why you should feel that you are treated any less simply because of your appearance; we are always happy to make everyone’s Delano experience memorable and we will go above and beyond to do so. I promise you that we will not treat you or anyone else lesser based on their appearance; this type of action is not only deplorable but wrong in every sense of the word. This type of action by its staff is not tolerated at Delano.
We do offer several room categories ranging from city views to full ocean front rooms. We also provide full descriptions of our rooms on our website. I am sorry you felt the room was not what you were told. Our partial ocean view rooms are just that, a room with a partial view of the ocean (and in some cases a view of the city).
I would also like to apologize about the noise from neighboring guests that disturbed you during the night. We have guests that stay with us for many reasons, but a fair bit of our guests are here to experience Miami’s nightlife in its entirety. While we want all of our guests to enjoy themselves, we will not tolerate other guests creating noise that disturbs others. Once we have been informed we will dispatch one of security specialists to handle the disturbance.
I am sorry for your experience with our bell/valet service upon check out. Our bell and valet service are among some of the most talented persons in Miami Beach. These persons are always eager to help anyone in the lobby or at the front of the hotel.
All the best,