“The WORST HOTEL period!!!!”

Delano South Beach Hotel
Ranked #46 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We booked the Delano for a quick getaway, which eventually turned into a nightmare. First impression, beautiful lobby (open and airy), pool/ beach gorgeous....beyond that it's all down hill. Check in - 1 person at desk so we had to wait 30-45mins before even getting to speak to front desk. First room, stinks of smoke (reservation was for none smoking room), second room- across from elevator, fifthly and clearly never cleaned from previous guest ( I took cell phone pics to show front desk)- since we had to wait on line again for another room (still only 1 person at check in at 3:30pm). Finally, third room TINY, OLD, MUSTY and overall SAD looking - clearly the room maintenance is pitiful - they only do "patch up" and "touch up" work on rooms. We were paying well over $800 per night for absolute crap! I couldn't wait to check out of this total dump, which we ended up doing. Left after one night and checked into Ritz... If I could give the Delano zero stars I would.

Room Tip: Do Not stay here!!!!
8  Thank Jo-T-Travel
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Jo-T-Travel,
Thank you for your review and please allow me to apologize for you went through with us. While your stay is not by any means typical of Delano, it is clear that we did not achieve your expectations. We always want our guests to enjoy their Delano experience and our staff is more than happy to go above & beyond to make certain you have a wonderful stay. I would like to take this opportunity to invite you back and personally handle your accommodations. I would greatly appreciate it if you gave us another chance to make up for the subpar experience you had. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at Dwight.Palacious@mhgc.com, I will make it my personal goal to guarantee the best stay possible.
Kind regards,
Dwight

There are newer reviews for Delano South Beach Hotel

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I stayed here in April 2013, and i know its a little late but the honest truth is that i simply forgot to come back on here to give the review.

I stayed here with about 60 co-workers as an all paid holiday and what an amazing hotel, friendly staff, great food, impressive pool, and right on the door step of the beach. Infact you can exit at the rear where the pool is located which takes you onto the beach.
The rooms are clean, tidy and well presented. Ths showers are large, marble and has pure luxury.
The beds are soft, and I had one of the best nights sleep ever! There is a flatscreen on the wall with plenty of channels to choose from. There are ipad located in the rooms, and ipod docks for music.
The views are truely breathtaking, the reception and hallway spectacular and the giant chair a nice touch.
Watch out, the mini bar as impressive as it is, is on the pricey side. Also the luxury soap stuff in the bathroom isnt free, which my friend found out when he was checking out.
The location is perfect, and within walking distance to the bars, shops and many restaurants.

I would highly recommend this hotel and scores a 10/10 on all levels.

On a final note, i received a nice email a few days later thanking me for my stay and if i had any thoughts on how to improve things via a survey.....something which i thought was a nice touch.

Will definately be coming back next time im in Miami!

Room Tip: i was in a room third from the top and at the front of the hotel by the main road. I found it to be...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank propertydealer
Reviewed December 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Delano for a two-night getaway. The room was immaculate. Very impressed with the stark white cleanliness and we had a wonderful ocean view. Rain shower head was soothing and the Malin and Goetz toiletries are fabulous.

Lounging at the pool though, made the trip for me. The warm water and rafts were so relaxing. The surroundings are lush with hammocks, large chess games (though a couple pieces were missing), bowls of apples, and lovely plants. The Delano loses a star for the service at the pool--we asked for menus and were never given any. We had to hunt down people to get towels, a chair, and then drinks. However, we loved that the bar staff did periodically come out with smoothie samples and the drinks we ordered at the pool bar were delicious.

We had services in the spa, and I can say that Alejandra has the most amazing hands! I first had a lemon-basil body scrub that left my skin super smooth. I then had a massage with her, and she did an amazing job. Her pressure never hurt and yet she still managed to work out so many knots and tensions points in my shoulders and neck. One of the best massages I've had. Definitely ask for her.

The location of the Delano is superb--so close to Lincoln Road yet right on the Beach Walk. We went to the club, FDR, one night, which is truly the "scene." We clearly weren't the "right" crowd and the bouncer made us show our room key before we went in, but it was something we were able to laugh off; truth be told, it wasn't our scene and we weren't the "right" crowd for it. But it was fun for a goof. Just be prepared to spend a small fortune on drinks.

The next night we had a drink in the Rose Bar. Friendly bartender, nice service, but an underwhelming selection. My husband was surprised by the lack of bourbon choices, however, I enjoyed my mixed drink quite a bit.

One thing I don't love at these boutique hotels is the "sell you something" feel of the rooms. I understand completely posting prices for robes and towels to discourage guests from walking off with them, but I hate the "shop box," filled with things to buy or being told I can purchase the room decor. I want to relax in my hotel room, not feel like I'm being shilled to.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the Delano. From the moment you walk in and see the billowing white curtains in the lobby, it sets the tone of a calm and soothing hotel experience.

Room Tip: We were on the 10th floor, ocean side, and I found the room to be quite quiet.
Reviewed December 27, 2013

The hotel is jaw droppingly amazing. Don't stay here if you want to scrimp on your hotel costs as it's an indulgance. If you want budget, stay elsewhere as this place is top quality, top notch and totally engaging. The staff of course are great, knowledgeable, helpful and warm. The pool area is like no other. It's the place to 'hang out' and feel like a million dollars.
This is a place that is definitely on the list of places to return to and stay longer. The location for the beach is great and for the Lincoln Road shopping too. All good, all fabulous.

Room Tip: City room is more expensive but I think you can manage without it...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The Moment You Enter, You Are In A Different World! The cool breeze, the movement of the sheer panels and the distinct scent of tropical heaven and flowers blooming that flows throughout the entrance and lobby all the way down the fashion runway and out to the Courtyard and Pool is ONLY the beginning of the "Delano Experience".

The Beautiful people (staff and workers) and setting may seem all beautiful and totally Jet Set, but aside from appearances, the kindness, friendliness and mood it is that of pure brotherly love and comfort.

Simply Put: "Breathtaking"......be sure to ask the pretty blonde pony tailed Bartendress poolside for a plate of 24 shrimp and a double screwdriver!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 23, 2013

The Delano in summary is like that really really nice person who just lacks the polish and details to be a top level player. Stayed in December 2 weeks ago.

THE GOOD:
Almost everyone on the hotel staff we encountered with the exception of 3 specific people were very friendly and did their best to be helpful.
Check in was handled well. I reserved the room on the website and my girlfriend arrived 4 hrs before me. I asked that they allow her to check in without using any of her credit cards till I arrived and that was accommodated.
I politely asked for a late check out and that was agreed to without any drama.
Pool service was very accommodating, they got us everything we needed in a relatively smooth fashion.
The pool is very relaxed with a great vibe as is the garden preceding the pool area.
Bed was comfy.

Highlight of the Delano was a guy named Julian who brought are bags to our room and when we left. Utterly nice fellow, charming, professional and extremely helpful.

THE "NOT SO GOOD":

There was lipstick on the headboard of the bed possibly from a previous guest's shenanigans but obvious enough to be seen by housekeeping.

There were no bathrobes in the room and after housekeeping insisted they were there, they finally relented and had to bring some up.

TV / Remote in the room was inoperable though eventually partially corrected by a technician, we were limited to 3 channels.

THE BAD:

The food and beverage service is both shockingly mediocre and gratuitously overpriced. I am specifically referring to the food and drinks not the people serving it. Whomever is conceptually responsible for the food and prices should really rethink the entire thing.

I do not like to complain like an entitled brat but the cocktail prices at around $16 are a joke especially compounded by the fact that they are mostly colored sugar water, and served in plastic cups. Yes I understand the glass/pool policy but either lower the prices or make good drinks.
Absolutely terrible value.
You can make money selling an actual margarita for $12 as opposed to a 7-11 slurpee with barely a shot of tequila in it.

The food at the pool is your standard pool/spa classics.
Not much to criticize suffice to say it is basic stuff you either like or don't.

We asked for salt 5 times till finally someone brought us salt on a plate.
First 5 salt shakers were wet and congealed thus no salt came out.
Even when you unscrewed the top it was wet enough that no salt came out and the entire rim was rusty on the glass screw top.
Even the servers were embarrassed.

Bianca Restaurant's food prices are ridiculous.
Even if it was the best pasta in the world, spaghetti with tomatoes for $27 is a crime.
Estimated food cost on that is less than $4
At a standard restaurant 30% food cost it would be $12.
It is being sold for more than double the average retail cost in any restaurant

Roast Chicken "Breast and leg" is $32
A non pedigreed whole chicken wholesale should be no more than $12.
Half of it $6.
Factoring labor still a greedy hike.

Branzino roasted in salt with potatoes and lemon. $45.
No luxury ingredients, just standard cooking for a farm raised fish that is less than $9/lb.

If this was a freestanding restaurant without automatic gratuities added to the bill, it would be out of business.

Basically you only eat here because you are a captive audience of the hotel.
However if you have more sense than money and you are not entirely lazy, you can find decent food without being gouged this badly.

I personally think I-pad menus are tacky in addition to the fact that electronic devices are the dirtiest things you can touch. I don't really want to touch an i-pad that everyone else has been touching right before or during my dinner. Seems well intentioned, modern and progressive but they ought to just put the money into better food.

THE ANNOYING:

The guy at the gift shop was entirely nonchalant about his job. We asked him if they carried a particular magazine and his response was "I don't know what we carry or if we have it"
I was almost going to say to him......so why the heck do you work here if you can't know your inventory or even pretend to care by getting up to check.

We came down for a late brunch but were not quite hungry yet.
Asked to sit on the porch and have a bottle of champagne because were were still trying to gauge our hunger. The hostess refused to sit us while some manager type guy looked on.
She explained that the porch was for brunch only.
We re-iterated that we were hotel guest and just wanted to drink a decent wine in a real glass before we ate and we were not hungry yet.
This was roughly around 1.45pm.
Porch was half empty.
They refused.

We went next door to the SLS Hotel.
They sat us on their porch.
Ordered a bottle of champagne.
Eventually ate lunch.
Total bill slightly less than $200.

Really pathetic that we had to leave our hotel to make the SAME EXACT request in a more expensive hotel next door and have it honored without any silly policies even though we were not guests there.

Went to Bianca for dinner, after ordering we got an emergency phone call and had to return to our room.
Asked for our food to be packed and sent to us which it was.
Paid the tip.
On checking out we were double charged for the same food because we ordered at the restaurant and then it was brought up by room service.
Of course we asked that it be removed which it was.

Overall Delano is a cool place with a great vibe except you might not want to eat or drink there.

2  Thank Thomas R
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

DearThomas R,
Thank you for taking the time to complete this review and all its detail. While I am glad to see you did enjoy some aspects of the hotel. I would like to lightly touch on a few of the not so enjoyable points you mentioned. I apologize about the problems you experienced with the TV, as well as the robes and headboard cleanliness. I would like to dig into the housekeeping issues you encountered and would like for reach out to me via email at Dwight.Palacious@mhgc.com.
I am sorry you felt the food and beverage was second-rate and overpriced. We do put a great deal of thought and effort into this to ensure that your dining and drinking experience at any of our outlets is matched by the service from our staff. Our prices, for both food and beverage, are comparable to almost any fine dining restaurant or high end bar in the Miami Beach. While we do want to enjoy the hotel in its entirety, we are always happy to make suggestions for outside venues, which could be more to your liking.
I would like to thank you for bringing the manner issue at the gift shop to our attention, and apologize for what occurred. The attitude you experienced is not acceptable by any standard, especially that of Delano. This is very concerning to me as we pride ourselves on being in the know as much as possible and for you to receive such a detached response from someone working in the hotel is completely intolerable. We are addressing this matter and will make certain that this does not take place again.
If you ever wish to return please feel free to reach out to me directly. I am happy to personally handle your reservation and any special request you may have.
Kind regards,
Dwight

Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

The best hotel ever ... The staff out if this world
Jose at the front desk, Sam the bellman
Willy at the concierge was the best of the best!!! And nothing was too much to handle ; )( we were a group of 6, he always had the best recommendations in restaurants, shopping, tourist attractions, for each of us!!) The pool area top notch, rooms white and crispy.

• Stayed: November 2013