“Pleasant getaway”

Delano South Beach Hotel
Ranked #41 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Pleasant getaway”
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Delano from a Sunday to Tuesday. The Delano is a lovely hotel with nice clean rooms. The price per night is not inexpensive, but my experience with the hotels in South Beach is that you get what you pay for...worth spending a little more money for a clean decent hotel with attentive service. The only problem about checking in on a Sunday afternoon is that the pool and the beach were very crowded...Sundays in the Summer there is an all day pool party that caters to a younger crowd in their 20's and 30's...overall it was a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I normally do not write reviews but I had to write one after my recent stay at the Delano. The room was beautiful and the service was excellent. My girlfriends and I went down to South Beach for my Bachelorette weekend we were supposed to stay at the National Hotel - but when we arrived from the airport to check it we found that it was unexpectedly shut down by the city of Miami, and they provided zero notice to any of their reservations!!! So the 5 of us were completely stranded luggage in hand during a busy summer weekend (Miami Swim Week was happening hotels were booked up). I had 4 friends who have just flown from all over the US and no place to stay, we walked over to the Delano next door and the manager Stacey saved our trip! She was able to secure us an amazing room (bungalow #1) and offered to help with any reservations or anything we needed. Overall our trip ended up being awesome and it was thanks to Stacey and her staff.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Terrible room service! I travel alot and I don't think I have ever received such bad room service. Rooms are much smaller than described. Beds are not standard. They didn't clean our room or refresh towels. We had to call them many times to please bring us fresh towels. They don't clean the bed sheets and only make them look they are. We went to this hotel with high expectations because of the fame and we were truly disappointed. You feel like you are a part of military...They check your room key over 10 times a day. They charge you for 3 persons per room but only give you two bed by the pool because it's their policy however, they charge you over $100 per night for the 3rd person. We got our room over 4 hours later than when we were supposed to.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

if in Miami must eat here, absolutey beautiful food, possibly the best food i have ever tasted, i couldnt say much of prices as me & a group of girls were taken here as guest and enjoyed ourselves so much. but do try this hotel restaurant 5*

1 Thank livvy91
Chicago
Reviewed July 24, 2013

There is obviously no question that this is a gorgeous hotel. Ian Schrager did a phenomenal job with the decor and ambiance of this place...from the over-sized mirrors and massive billowing white curtains, to the hidden hedge entryway, to the ALL white rooms complete with a green apple. You really get the feel that you stepped into a fairy tale or fell down the rabbit hole, which I'm told was his intent. Superb!

However, for the amount of money you spend at this hotel, I'm not sure it's worth it. The location is great, the outside pool scene is amazing (during the day, and at night when it turns into a sort of lounge-y area)...but it's expensive! The staff is wonderful, IF you're spending a lot of money quickly...then, of course, you get very prompt service. If you're not spending a lot of money quickly, you get less attention.

Because the rooms are all white, you notice every detail that was missed in terms of cleaning. Even the floors are white. So every hair, or speck of dirt, is immediately noticeable. This isn't much of an issue when you know the mess is yours, but it's gross when, upon arrival, you notice stuff like this.

The maids are annoying. They come several times a day...it literally feels like every time you're in the room, they're JUST OPENING THE DOOR. They knock once and then just walk right in.

I've stayed here a handful of times and the concierge is always inundated with tasks...so much so that he hardly ever had time for our requests. If you want to book something you need to call before your arrival.

They are an AMEX hotel however they don't honor a lot of AMEX upgrades for some reason.

I mean, you go to this hotel for the location, the scene and the ambiance; not for anything else, in my opinion. Though I have to say, all of this being said, I honestly could not imagine staying anywhere else when returning to South Beach. It's a dream.

*I had to pick a date I traveled, though the options didn't go back to when I actually did. The actual dates were March 2011 & 2012.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lee G, Public Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your positive review and also for including some constructive criticism. We're always happy to take improvement opportunity advice in stride and we prioritize looking into all of the information provided by our guests. Thank you for your willingness to take the time to help us to continue to improve.
Our rooms are very white, you're correct. As one would imagine, it takes a lot of work to keep them pristine and our room attendants work tirelessly to do so. You should never feel intruded upon though and our staff will never knock or enter your room if you have the privacy sign on your door. I apologize that you had to deal with that inconvenience. Of course this will appropriately be addressed as well.

We'll look forward to seeing you again soon!

All the Best,

Lee
switzerland
Reviewed July 24, 2013

the layout of the rooms and the overall hotel design is very nice, the pool is lovely -and the music choice around the pool was very to our gusto, with a great sound system. unfortunately the pool closes well before sunset, and as we arrived at about 4pm, there were no more linens provided.

the minibar is hugely provided, and everything may be acquired in the rooms; so if one forgot something, everything is there: in ear phones, cd, etc ...; at an additional cost, needless to say.

a big negative point for the rooms: they are very poorly noise-isolated, each noise or person passing in the corridors is well heard. don't expect a quiet night here.

after leaving the hotel, we noted that the valet parking ($37/ night) was taxed 2x to us: once in cash by the valet when we left the hotel, then 2 days after via our credit card! after several requests and emails, we didn't even had an answer from the delano! $7 were also charged, we still don't know why (as we had nothing from the minibar). that's ridiculous for a hotel that wants to play worldclass.

the staff in general is not really welcoming -with the notable exception of the desk staff. the discotheque bartenders are the worst. maybe it's a pose that looks cool in such a place?!! aha!

as a conclusion we don't understand why the hotel of this price doesn't even answer a client request -an error may occur, but you have to respond to it aftewards; and because of the bad isolation of the rooms, at that price, we can't give more than 2*

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Noemie_jac
Hello,

Thank you for your review. I apologize for some of the negativity that you experienced...particularly with the double valet charge. It sounds as if you rather enjoyed the hotel and had a very pleasant stay save for some concerning occurrences that you made mention of. Our bar staff is extremely friendly and should portray that with all guests as should pool servers. Regardless of what you order or spend, service should be impeccable all the way around. I apologize that you didn't experience the best of what our staff has to offer and our staff makes a habit of offering the best service that you'll find anywhere.
Regarding valet: I'm not sure who you spoke to but I would love to find out. Please send me a private note and if possible, forward the original email. I will very promptly get this resolved for you. Additionally, I will be happy to discuss the Amex FHR partnership at Delano privately as well. I'm happy to satisfy any inquiries that you may have regarding the amenities that participating hotels offer for guests booking through this program.

Many Thanks,

Lee
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I just read someone else's review to think through my title. 'We're glad we didn't stay anywhere else'. I can say the same. Beautiful hotel and super friendly staff made us feel at home and well looked after on my first visit to South Beach (which is pretty crazy).

Cons

1) The air conditioning was fierce. Most of you probably love it but it was too much for us.

Pros

1) Super friendly staff including Bradford (the person, not my home town) and an Italian woman (I think) who kept pulling us to the front of the queue to get back in the hotel (we were there over July 4th).

2) A perfect location for a Perfect Manhattan. Thanks to the pool bar staff.

Mike