“Beautiful hotel, amazing location”

Delano South Beach Hotel
Ranked #43 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I stayed here in March for a couple of days.
From pulling up to the hotel where your greeted by helpful staff and the beautiful entrance everything about this hotel is great.
The lobby in the Delano is something in itself, visitors come just to come and have a look at the famous furniture which includes some Dali pieces.
Check in was an easy process.
The room was beautiful, I have a seaview, huge bed that very comfortable. The iPads in the bedroom are a great touch and the e-services work great - I ordered a few things like toothpaste that came promptly. The white on white decor isnt for everyone but when your in a boiling hot city like Miami it's a refreshing detail.
The bathroom is lovely and spacious with a huge rainfall shower. I quite like the option a bath so that's my only issue.
The Delano has a very distinct smell - an scent they pump all around the hotel that contributes to the chilled out vibe of the place.
The pool area is beautiful and the pool staff are very helpful regularly bringing round complimentary smoothies/fruit/ice cream etc.
I tried out Umi Sushi which is amazing. Not cheap but if you like sushi it's well worth a visit.
I also went to the newly renovated FDR, best to go later I was there about midnight and it was still pretty quiet.
Breakfast is at Bianca restaurant, again very good food and the service is great.
I tried Bianca for dinner too, I can't recommend the grilled octopus enough - it's amazing!
The spa is also well worth a visit - situated on the top of the hotel and there is an amazing deck area which has the best view. I had a massage which was lovely.
Overall an amazing hotel, the location couldn't be any better, the staff are great very attentive, rooms are lovely and the restaurants are great. You just need a pocket full of cash to really enjoy this place.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,796)

Reviewed April 24, 2012

Being born in Miami and having moved away for work, I have occasion to travel back to Miami Beach on a frequent basis. I have stayed at nearly every 4 and 5 star hotel there, and I must say that the Delano Hotel provides exemplary customer service, that is beyond compare. The doormen greet you with a smile and a warm welcome from the moment you set foot in the hotel. The check-in process is easy and the receptionists provide all the needed details for your stay. The concierge D'Michael greets you warmly and offers assistance for any dining/entertainment needs during your visit. The pool staff are friendly (which can be quite hard to come by on the Beach) and the restaurant, though a bit pricey, has excellent food and is staffed by servers who again, always greet you with a smile, and provide prompt, efficient service. The hotel lobby and room decor is typical deco, which gives you a genuine flavor of Miami culture. The hotel location is also ideal. On the beach, with private beach access for hotel guests, one block from Lincoln Road, which provides a host of traditional shopping and dining options, a few blocks from Espanola Way, filled with European style architecture and great outdoor cafes, and a couple of blocks from the Miami Beach Convention Center, if you are in town for business/conventions. Whether as an oasis away from your business meetings in Miami, or for a true vacation experience, I would highly recommend the Delano Hotel. As many trips as I make to Miami, I will stay at no other hotel.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean front instead of ocean view room for the best view of the Atlantic.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank nyrhed
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The Delano

After starting our vacation to Miami at The Tides, we switched hotels and move along South Beach to arguably the most famous hotel in Miami - the iconic Delano.

We had feared its glory days were over and that the attention to detail would have waned. But not at all. It really is the real McCoy. It just exudes contemporary class. The lobby area is stunning. The vibe is cool and European. The pool scene is like being in a Hollywood movie. The service is 5 star, but not starchy. You can book into the Delano and experience Miami in one building (plus the section of private beach that hotel guests have access to).

We had a city view corner room, thinking that the pool view rooms might be noisier. It was white white white. Some of the signature Philippe Starck features did feel a little cramped. The shower room/toilet was tiny. But the bed was huge and so comfy.

We had one meal at the hotel's main restaurant. It was proper Miami fine dining. Not cheap, but delicious and plentiful and really worth the money for the quality and the experience.

If you are going to Miami, I'd recommend The Delano whole heartedly.

Room Tip: Request a room as high as possible and a city facing room is fine. You see enough of the ocean while...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrionUK
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The Delano is an icon. It is an icon for style and scene... But service and comfort are slipping. After a 10 day trip to Costa Rica we took a layover in Miami's South Beach. Always a scene... Love to people watch and design drool. The Delano still greets with an amazing entrance... But this trip it just seemed a little faded. Snooty front desk staff seeming out out by answering questions, and noticeably worm spots in hotel and room make me think some polishing is needed. Makes me sad to stay I wish I had stayed at the Ritz where service is always consistent and your comfort their goal. Or maybe I'm just maturing.....

Room Tip: Apparently you can smoke at breakfast at this hotel. Be aware. We had a rude French woman who smo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CanCookWillTravel
Reviewed April 19, 2012

This is a very cool hotel. Very cool. Good service, good food and a spectacular venue, location and ambiance. You could stay the the Ritz-Carelton, the W or the Loews, but then you'd miss the essence of South Beach. The chains just cannot provide the jounrey into South Beach no matter how hard they might try. Last year we stayed at the Ritz; this year the Delano. I feel younger, hipper and much happier. Skip the Ritz; go for the glitz.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Techvestco
Reviewed April 17, 2012

This is my favorite Miami Beach hotel. From the moment we arrived everyone was really nice and attentive. Our stay was very pleasant. Our room was very clean. Everything looks so pretty in white. They also had fun pool parties going on. I will definitely go back and stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sweethoney1624
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We went to The Delano to have a look and experience a touch of the 5 star luxury it is infamous for and to relax with a drink by the bar. . well that was plan.

On our first attempt to enter the hotel we were greeted by a burly doorman who was very picky on who he would let enter the hotel. We were dressed for the occasion with suitable evening attire and the doorman asked if we were residents at the hotel. My partner said no but we had come to have a drink at the bar - to which he said did we have a reservation - since when do you need to book a reservation to have a drink at a public bar? Since when did you need to be a resident to enter a hotel? We asked if this was hotel policy and he said it was introduced in the last few months that you were only allowed in if you were a resident or had a reservation. My partner asked why a reservation was required to drink at the bar and he said the bar is very small. He turned several guests away with his jobs worth attitude, so we left without gaining entry on that occasion.

We were actually staying at the hotel next door and enquired if they were aware of this and they said they had never heard of that. My partner even asked our concierge to ring up to ask the bar if we could come in for a drink and they said that would not be a problem.

So a few nights later we approached the hotel once more. This time there was a different person on the door and no questions asked, he opened the door for us and let us through.

On entering the lobby of the hotel you walk in to a calming tranquil area with long white drapes floating around you and the boutique design of Philippe Starck is evident. As you pass through the lobby and walk pass the Rose Bar and the Bianca Restaurant you are greeted by the infamous infinity pool surrounded by tall palm trees which line your path through to the Beach Bar.

The bar itself is small although there is plenty of outdoor seating and beds for you to relax on. The bar staff were efficient and when I asked for a vodka I was offered a selection to choose from although I wouldn't say they went out of their way to wow me. As I was having a drink with my partner, we were taking photos of each other - it would have been nice if one of the bar staff who were loitering around the edges offered to take our photo together, or even to ask if we wanted a refill once our drinks were finished - but we were left to our own devices.

So The Delano for me has exquisite decor, and ambiance although it didn't live up to the high expectations I had as it only takes one rotten apple to sour the experience - shame.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MonicaOr
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Thank you for such a detailed and informative review. We do promote exclusivity for our guests, however, it is important that visitors like yourself get to experience our offerings as well. I apologize that you were treated less than graciously when you approached the hotel the first time. Certainly I have addressed your concerns with our door staff.
We look forward to having you back, this time, with nothing to dilute the experience you've come to expect from Delano!

Many Thanks,