“Excellent Beach Hotel”

Ranked #41 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
dublin
“Excellent Beach Hotel”
Reviewed January 15, 2008

The Delano is the absolute heart-beat of South Beach and deserves serious consideration as a base if you are visiting the area, and if you can afford the rates.

The staff who provide the first, and most lasting impression, are fantastic without being fawning. They effortlessly obliged my needs being both pro & re active.

The public areas are stylish and sexy. The lobby is airy and cool, with wonderfully eclectic furniture usually seating a skinny-assed model-a-like. I am of the firm belief that when on holidays people like to become the person they want to be - and the Delano provides a great stage upon which to strike a pose. Most of the guests do strike such poses, playing roles more glamorous than they actually are.

There is a small but excellently stocked gift store, which made me feel like a part of a focus-group derived marketing niche, because every magazine or paperback I could possibly desire was stocked on their limited shelf space. Top marks.

The rooms, again are sexy and stylish. Everything in the room is white, which works wonderfully in a beach hotel. Levels of luxury are high.

Ultimately the Delano is a resort hotel. Guests are given a credit-card style charge card on check-in and are free to build up a big debt during their stay. By day lounge around the pool or the fully-serviced beach. Pool access is reserved for hotel guests. It is worth getting out of bed early to reserve a poolside lounger (on the sunny side).

By night the hotel comes alive. In addition to the hotel lobby, there is a pool side bar which is lively and buzzing - usually full of ex-frat boys from Boston trying to undress already skantily clad girls from up-state NY. The recently launched night-club, Florida Room, is pretty dull. It is more of a drinking club than a night club. The nights i visited it was full of vacant looking punters looking around for fun, rather than having fun. Ultimately the crowd here were pretty, but pretty boring. The reputation of the club is based on paying stars to visit and make it glamorous by association. My clubbing tip is to skip this and go to the nearby Mynt Lounge (beside the Shore Club) for an old skool night of clubbing.

When arriving i had high expectation of this hotel, and it did deliver is spades. it truly is a world-class hotel. Forget the new kids on the block (setai, Shore Club), try this out.

• Stayed January 2008
2 Thank stannn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nantucket, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 12, 2008

this was my 5th stay since it's beginning.what i find interesting about this hotel is that the clientele changes everytime i come.
LIKES: the lobby is my favourite place on earth,breakfast on the serene terrace in the morning,refills of freshly squeezed orange juice,frozen grapes and other treats periodically by the pool,oh and did i mention the pool! exquisite. staff were very polite.
DISLIKES:the hotel's decor is changing,the rooms are cheaper looking and trendier.our mirror nightstand was cracked ,the hairdryer was broken (took 3 different dryers before 1 worked!) and the incredibly white room had black scuff marks all over it.small details perhaps? ,but if you're paying top dollar ,these are the things that matter, day and night by the pool theres music,night time it's like a rave,competing with next door for popularity.it felt like a 10 yr reunion for spring breakers!
i felt the loss of Ian schrager this trip,sadly i think it's the end of an era,the first boutique hotel is slowly being put out to pasture.

• Liked — the ambiance of the hotel
  • Disliked — the renovations
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cabnyc
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed December 29, 2007

Having read reviews on Tripadvisor before we went, we knew that some people complained about the noise from the late night partying at the bar. When we checked in to our room on Christmas (room 401) we asked the front desk clerk about the noise in the room because it was on a relatively lower floor. We were assured by the friendly staff person that it should not be a problem. Well it was. A huge problem. The music was so loud we could actually feel the bass reverberate in our bed. The next morning I complained to a front desk person (a different one) who assured me that the noise level was due to the Christmas partying and that it wouldn't be a problem normally. Well it was just as bad the next night. I complained to the manager in the morning who was very nice and promised to speak to the bar manager about lowering the music. Whether he did or didn't I don't know but the music was just as loud that night. I called the night manager who also was very nice and equally ineffective. The best she could do was offer me ear plugs. For $900 per night (holiday rates) I really don't think I should have to wear ear plugs to get to sleep before 2 AM. The hotel was lovely but after not sleeping well for four straight nights I would rather have stayed in a lesser hotel with a quieter bar scene.

• Stayed December 2007
2 Thank starfski
West Bloomfield, Michigan
Reviewed December 17, 2007

NO make-up mirrors,no shower cap,the lock on the door which is battery operated breaks down all the time which makes it not safe,never got the breakfast order correct,did not get the room i reserved with king sized bed which i booked directly to the hotel,beach attendents were rude and one said "if he had a gun i would kill all the birds on the beach",otherwise the hotel is acceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — THE SHOWER HEAD
  • Disliked — THE LOCK TO THE ROOM NOT SAFE
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chanel49
london
Reviewed December 14, 2007

Just spent a weekend in Delano. What an amazing place. Didn.t even need to leave the hotel for 2 days. The staff were great, loved the concierge. Rooms still look fresh after all these years. The pool area is great hang hang, night and day. I will be back..

Stayed December 2007
3 Thank giorgio100
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed November 21, 2007

I just returned from an 8 night stay at the Delano. My girlfriend and I wanted to chill out for a bit more than a week and we wanted a pool and beach easily accessible. We came to Miami as with the dollar rate right now, our Euro took us a long way. Hence it was also a bit easier to swallow the price of this hotel (in addition to the other outrageous costs in South Beach....not mentioning the idiotic practice of automatically including gratuity on every restaurant bill). By the way, this will be a long review as I'm writing it at the airport bored out of my mind waiting for a flight.

What did I like? Well, I found service to be quite good. I didn't experience the foot massages at the pool (never saw this on any of the days there and spent lots of time by the pool) but in general, I found the staff very helpful. We also disliked the fact that we needed to come down fairly early to reserve good poolside loungers and I guess since I didn't tip the poolboy, I wasn't automatically given one. I was simply told it's first come, first served in the morning. Yet, the poolstaff were always cordial and helpful with basics. I found one of the ladies serving food and drinks to be a bit disinterested but again, maybe I simply didn't grease enough palms. The reception was also always very polite and generally helpful as was the concierge. I didn't really feel though that anyone went out of their way except for one individual. I was up very early the first day due to jet lag and the guy working the front desk at 4am gave me a weeklong pass for wireless LAN. I believe they charged for this otherwise so this was a very nice amenity as I know wLAN can be ridiculously expensive at US hotels. Further, I found the ground floor to be stylish and it offered a very nice "air about the place". I've been to many designer hotels though and it wasn't outstanding, just fairly nice. The beds in the room are also worth noting as they were very comfortable. I also found the room cleaning to be very good and the couple of times I asked maids for something, they were more than happy to oblige, be it additional towels, or whatever. One positive also worth mentioning is that I called ahead of time looking to speak with Ellis, the customer relations manager. He was no vacation and I spoke to Amanda who was super nice and without even trying, offered to upgrade out room to oceanview instead of cityview as we really wanted this. It was worth the effort as waking up in the morning to a beautiful sunrise added to the effect of being in Miami. Maybe this isn't a big deal, but it meant a lot to us in terms of what we were looking to get out of our vacation. Thank you Amanda!

I'll focus more though on what I disliked. This may be nitpicking to some extent but that's what this site is for. It's always obviously very much my take on things so be careful not to forget that it's my opinion when reading this. I myself often read horrible reviews to find myself not seeing eye to eye with the reviewer after visiting a hotel. Anyway, here's what I disliked:

Exterior: the hotel is not "pretty" from across the street. It's a generally boring building. I know they can't go and rebuild the whole place, but for the price you pay and the "clout" this place has, I would expect more. It was quite disappointing to pull up to this place. I guess I'm spoiled living and often travelling in Europe and being used to much "prettier" hotels, usually with lots of architectural detail, etc. The Delano is a box in general and seems a bit in need of touching up.

Staff: Always courteous but it seemed to me like they would only go the extra mile if you were tipping them. I left my share of tips for service I found above and beyond basic but didn't tip everyone constantly. I shouldn't have to do this to get a "bit more". Maybe this is a general complaint about US hotel staff who depend more on tips, but it just seemed to me like the staff were overly eager to get something before giving something (this applies mostly to the pool and bar staff and definately not the maids or reception).

Room: The rooms are small. This is disappointing for the price. I get the same quality with more space for less than half the price at many other hotels (not in South Beach though I am sure). With two people in the room we had it was cramped. The bathroom is even worse. Don't even think about being in there with anyone. We couldn't both get ready in the morning at the same time as we had to alternate using the space in front of the sink and mirror. The "whitewash" on the rooms is nice when it's new but our room was showing age. Lots of scuffs and dings all over the place plus some tears and missing adornments from furniture. Further, on the first day, the faucet knob came off in my hand. This was easily fixed by the hotel's handyman but still, it left a bad impression on me. In general, the room is simply small and a lt less than you could expect in lots of other destinations. A big minus for me and probably the main reason I wouldn't be in a rush to book here again as I like my space. Even though we were by the pool mostly and out at night, it was still a bit of a drag bumping into each other in the bathroom and squeezing around one another.

Pool Area: Someone else wrote about this but I also found it extremely annoying....families with kids. This is not a family destination in my opinion and I really disliked crying babies around me one day and little kids running around and in the pool. It just wasn't my thing and I was surprised to see quite a few families which I would have never expected here. I also found the pool itself to not be up to par. It looks pretty from afar and in pictures but it's not the cleanest in terms of sediment around the edges, etc. Not that big a deal, but still. Finally, the last two days it was cold as hell. For some reason the heating must have crapped out or was forgotten. It was just as cold as the ocean which for me wasn't that big of a deal as I only used it to cool off but my girlfriend wouldn't even consider going in which also meant she had less interestin being by the pool (which is what we wanted to predominantly do).

Scene: This is obviously a place you're going to get all the tourists and wannabe scenesters coming to try and be part of the in-crowd. Well, there is a good vibe about the place but I really didn't see any real "partying" going on. It was more see-and-be-seen. Everyone was stiff as hell. Again, this is very subjective and maybe it was just the case on the few nights we hung out at the pool bar or the indoor bar.

Guests: Last point and I will stop nagging. It seemed like everyone was either noveau riche or a trust-fund baby. The majority of the people were quite gaudy. The guys with the Rolexes or AP's as well as bracelets and necklaces and the women decked out in all kinds of diamonds. Everyone had their Ed Hardy t-shirt, the name-brand sunglasses which were way too big and their LV handbags, Vertu phones, etc. I know it's South Beach but it just seemed like too much at this place. The real monied crowd is not this gaudy in my opinion and it reflected poorly on the other guests around me. There were obviously exceptions but I really had no interest in meeting people and mingling. We did our own thing when at the hotel.

In summary, we stil enjoyed ourselves quite a bit as the weather was good, the pool area and beach were nice and for hanging out, we had available what we wanted. I booked on the basis of al the positive reviews here and elsewhere. In hindsight I find that many of the reviews simply overdo the praise for the hotel (probably repaying the favor of outstanding service which is not reflective of the default level of service everyone gets). It's not spectacular and "once-in-a-lifetime" good...actually far from it. If money is no issue for you, you can do much worse in South Beach. If money is no issue for you and you still want to make sure you get a good deal, think twice about what it is you're looking for. There are people I know who'd love this place and I'd recommend it to them. There are also friends whom I would never recommend this place to. Know what you want and choose accordingly.

• Liked — View from Oceanview room.
  • Disliked — The overdone praise on review websites.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Joizee_HD
Hamden, CT
Reviewed November 6, 2007

I stayed at the Delano for 3 nights and 4 days in late October to celebrate my best friend's 25th birthday with a group of girlfriends. Let me start by saying that the Delano is a spectacular property. I have stayed in many great hotels all over the country and the Delano is at the front of the pack. The rooms are crisp and elegant, the lobby is minimalist and sophisticated, and the pool and garden areas are a perfect upscale Miami Beach retreat.

Not only are the hotel's facilities top notch, but the staff is just as amazing. We tipped our pool attendant on the first afternoon and he reserved 2 poolside beds for us on each of the following days without even being asked to do so! The poolside staff was extremely attentive - they kept bringing us ice water, free of charge, throughout the day - we must have looked like we needed to hydrate. Trust me, this would not happen in Las Vegas! All the poolside extras, including frozen grapes and ice pops, were a special treat that we definitely enjoyed.

My only negative would be the families at the pool - people paying good money to stay in a swanky hotel do not want to be splashed and kicked by children in the pool. I can understand why these families would also want to stay at the Delano, but i think they should be more considerate to the majority of the guests who are there without kids.

• Liked — The poolside service
  • Disliked — Room/Beds were a bit small - but thats the idea!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends