WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of The Colony Hotel

The Colony Hotel
Ranked #179 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
CT
“Nice tv, not nice hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2005

I stayed at the Colony for 3 nights including Hurricane Katrina's passing (August 23-26) and was somewhat disappointed. I say somewhat only because I kind of knew what to expect. I was relieved to have been given a room with a plasma tv, but unfortunately that was the only good thing about the hotel. The room was extremely small, extremely. There was the bed which is basically at floor level and nothing else in the room besides a dresser. I mean nothing. Also, the safety lock to prevent others from entering the room was broken off the door!!! When I told the front desk they wrote it down but never replaced it. The bathroom was extremely small too. The shower drain was clogged and the water was almost overflowing. There was a slight improvement after I guess someone checked on it after I requested it. Since there are only about 6 oceanfront rooms, I had a room with a view of the windows of the adjacent hotel, not even a partial ocean view. There is no bellman and the breakfast is very little. Housekeeping or maintenance felt free to eat some of my snacks. Besides the plasma tv and the fact that it is located in the hip strip of Ocean Drive near all the bars and clubs, (it's adjacent to Wet Willie's and News Cafe, Mango's and Clevelander are steps away too) the only good thing was that I only paid about $117 a night to stay here. I went through AA Vacations and when I checked on Expedia it was twice as much! Don't stay here, it's just not worth having a plasma tv if you are going to be crammed into a tiny room, with possibly no lock. You may say you'll only be there to sleep, but if the weather turns sour you will be stuck in there.

• Stayed August 2005
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
5 Thank maura76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2005

We decided to stay here the night before our flight so we could tour south beach. The room was very cheap, and now I know why. The room only had two beds, no other furniture. There was no room to put anything else. There was about 5 inches between the end of the beds and the dresser to walk. I can't tell you how many times I hit my ankles on the corner of the bed. To top that off, we had 2 small children with us, with no room to move (not an exaggeration). No room for luggage, we had to sit it on the bed with us. The bathrooms are tiny and were dirty with only one towel and no wash cloths or hand towels. Also, I may as well have slept on the street. It was the loudest room I've ever been in. The VERY loud annoying music played until 1:30am and then all the drunks started coming in, slamming doors and yelling (the walls are paper thin). There was one window in our room with a view of a building window about 2 feet away. Will never stay here again!!!!

• Stayed August 2005