WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #178 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
Cedar Rapids, IA
“A little past prime”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

We chose this hotel for (a) price (b) location and (c) prominence in just about every Miami Beach picture/movie you've seen. You can read the downside in some of the other reviews: older lobby, tiny elevator, small rooms, etc. Valet parking is $24 a day (Hey! It's SoBe! See if YOU can find a place to park!)
Here are a couple of things to consider: It is right on Ocean Dr. - expect noise; late night parties that spill over into the hallways, doors slamming at all hours. Think New Orleans at mardis gras or spring break.
The staff could not have been more helpful or attentive. The room was clean, the bed comfortable to get a good night's sleep. The location - outstanding.
It's probably the Red Roof Inn of SoBe.

Room Tip: If you value quiet, ask for a top floor room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
zero11382, Director of Sales at The Colony Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Doug, we appreciate your honest review...I believe people mistake the lobby as old because of its Art Deco roots, furthermore we aim to keep the lobby as original as possible, we have certain things at the hotel which cannot be changed due to it's historical aspect...our elevator is quite small (up to 4 people can fit but not with too much luggage) and that is directly linked to the old age of the property (the Colony Hotel was built in the early 1930's), this also spills over to the rooms as big units were not something common during that time...as you mentioned the hotel is superbly located but that also means higher levels of noise because of the people traffic you get on Ocean Drive, your comparison to Mardi Gras in New Orleans was spot on...besides all of this it is good to know you liked the property and the staff!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Charleston, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We went to Miami for a conference for my husband as well as a vacation. Due to the large conference, there weren't many hotel rooms available anywhere. Unfortunately we didn't have much choice other than staying at Colony. I'll just give you the rundown. I don't expect much, and am fine staying in Holiday Inn's etc. but this place was pretty close to the equivalent of staying in a hostel other than having your own room/bathroom.
The lobby is ugly and the people working at the desk can be lazy about calling you a cab or getting you things requested, although they were pretty nice. The elevator fits 2-4 people tops so plan on walking up and down stairs to access your room. The hallways for the rooms are almost like you are in the shining - being dark, musty, and old.
Upon walking into your room, the humidity in the room hits you. There is no ventilation in the rooms so it is thick and musty air 24/7. It definitely smells of mildew. We couldn't get a queen room so we had to sleep in a double bed. The bedding is awful and super thin for a "comforter" but since it was so stuffy and warm (while still being mid 60's for highs outside) that worked out okay. Lucky for us there were no bed bugs, but when we walked in that was honestly a concern it was so run down. The room is super tiny and there isn't anywhere to sit other than on the bed. There was a mini-fridge that worked fine. The air conditioner unit never shut off, and we wouldn't have wanted it to, and thank goodness there was a ceiling fan for circulation.
The lighting in the room is horrendous. There is one lamp in the rooms with two double beds and it literally is the equivalent of a 15 watt lamp. At night you couldn't even tell if your socks were black or blue. There was nowhere to put anything as far as a luggage rack, etc., so we ended up sitting our luggage on the extra bed. There was a closet with a few hangers, so that was okay. When we got there our iron was broken but luckily they were able to give us a different one. The TV is huge and works fine, so I guess that's one redeeming quality.
If you're looking for a "view", all you're going to get is the tiny alleyway between the hotel and the building next to it and/or views of rundown windows next door. It's even hard to get any natural light into the room, plus the windows don't open.
The bathroom was probably my least favorite part of the entire experience. There is a pedestal sink with no storage what so ever. There was a "shelf" above the toilet but it was leaning and anything we sat there would fall off. It was too narrow to fit much anyways. We had to put any toiletries on top of the toilet. The lighting in the bathroom was abysmal, similar to the room. The one mirror in the entire hotel room was barely large enough for one person to see in it let alone two, but that didn't matter because two people couldn't possibly fit in the bathroom anyways. When showering, there was also no shelf in there, so any shower needs had to also rest on top of the toilet and you had to reach out to grab it, unless you wanted to sit your items on the floor of the disgusting shower, no thank you. The first day, when we tried to shower, we literally thought there was no hot water, only to figure out towards the end of the shower that it takes 15 minutes for the water to get hot, and once it does, it's scalding and you can't adjust it. That was quite an ordeal. You have to wake up, turn on the shower and then do something else for 15 minutes while it warms up. At least its a rainfall shower head so you can step to the side of the scalding hot water to shower. What a joke.
I'm sure there were more negatives but that's all I can recall at the moment. At least we weren't in our room much. I would only ever recommend this place to someone I despised, because it really shouldn't even be allowed to be called a hotel room.

Room Tip: Search for recommended places on trip advisor. Friends of ours did their research and paid just $70...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JLTP10
Dear Guest, I apologize for the issues you encountered at the hotel...I'm surprised you found the lobby to be ugly as most people really like it's charm and Art Deco feel...the rooms at the Colony Hotel are a bit small since the building was built back in the 30's and spaciousness is not something found in most of the boutique hotels in South Beach...I urge to please contact me I would like to speak to you in detail in regards to your stay and see if there is anything we can do to win your business and trust again (305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 or you may email me at sales@thekenthotel.com)

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Think Joe Montana. You know the name and he still looks good. He was the greatest when he played and knows the game, but you wouldn't want him to play the game now.
WiFi? Non-existent. Trash on the floor I know I didn't bring with me. A bed with a broken mattress and box springs. An in room safe that didn't work. The toilet lid was barely fastened Dow and the shower knob came off in my hands. The staff couldn't seem to care less so I stopped telling them a out the problems.

Did I mention that the staff of the "restaurant" on the sidewalk made getting to the door harder than busting through a zombie line on "Walking Dead"?

Sad really. I liked it. Once.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
zero11382, Director of Sales at The Colony Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest, let me apologize about the experience you encountered at the hotel, I can assure you that it is not what should be expected nor is it condoned, I would urge you to please contact me so I can speak to you in detail about your stay and I hope I can make it up to you and earn your business once again, please contact me at sales@thekenthotel.com or at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3010
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've stayed at the Colony and since it was right in the middle of everything on the main strip in South Beach, Miami, I even booked my parents a room there the following month! It's in the heart of all the main hotels/restaurants right there on the beach! They certainly loved their stay. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to friends, especially since it was so reasonably priced!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Lenura for the positive review, we are glad to know you enjoyed your stay so much you booked your parents for the following month!!
New Britain, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

I've been to Miami quite a bit. And everytime I've stayed at the Colony. It's in a great location. Just cross the street and there's the beach. The front desk clerk Harold is great. He always made sure my stay there is a good one. The rooms are modern & good size. I've never had a problem staying there. Great prices. There were a couple times when the elevator wasn't working but it wasn't a big deal for me. My last stay there I was upgraded to an oceanfront view at no extra charge which made it even better. There are alot of clubs and great restaurants close by. I am planning to go back this summer and best believe I will be staying at the Colony.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, thank you for the wonderful review, it's always a pleasure to know we have repeat clients who choose to only stay with us even though there are numerous hotels in South Beach
Naples Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just left a miserable stay at this hotel or should I say dump. There is absolutely no redeeming thing about this place. Where do I begin? Upon arrival we were greeted by a dirty looking doorman with no uniform. The front desk clerk was busy, too busy on Facebook to greet us. We had very big heavy bags and would have never been able to carry them up the steps due to no elevator access so after finally getting the front desk clerk's attention he had the worker, doorman,help. Now on to the room..or should I say walkin closet, The whole place is dark and has an odor of mold and dampness. The lighting consists of 1 lamp and a bathroom light. The refrigerator didn't work and there is no coffee machine. Don't look for any amenities. I wanted to turn and run but my friends talked me into staying. Things only got worse. No tissues,toilet paper or towels was a daily occurrence. Maid service???Never in my life have I stayed in a hotel where sheets aren't changed and dirty towels are picked up from the floor and rehung. Any beverages or food that you partially consumed from the previous night will still be in your room after the maid cleans just In case you want to imbibe the next night. Your maid is thoughtfull like that and doesnt sweep your floors either. How do I know? Ear plugs. Yes we had to buy earplugs and the same earplugs remained on the floor till the day we left. The noise level is horrible. There is alley noise from the restaurant workers arguing on one side. There must not be insulation because the doors slamming all night and the up stairs guest rollerblading all night long made it impossible to sleep even with ear plugs. On a positive note you can make friends easily with the alley restaurant workers by simply opening the window and shaking their hands. One last negative comment and that would be with the hooka slash bar restaurant and I use this term loosely. Everytime you enter or leave your hotel that you have been staying in for days you are greeted as if you are a new customer. What is wrong with this,you might ask? Well, they have no clue you are staying there. How many times are you going to enjoy an overly aggressive Hostess/host say,"2 for 1 happy hour, free shots,cold ,crappy food Ma'am? Yes, from my sarcasm you can tell that the free shots never appear at your table and the 2 for 1 drinks are weak and prepared by I'm guessing, the maid. There is no bartender at this location and until the day before we left there were no barstools. Unless you are a young man looking for a drunken evening and a cheap crashing pad, I would say go on down the strip to a real hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Reba G
Dear Reba, your review is worrisome to say the least, if you would like to speak to me in detail about your stay it would greatly help me pinpoint what went wrong and whom we can hold accountable, as your experience at the Colony Hotel is neither the norm or what we strive to provide. Please contact me at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 or at sales@thekenthotel.com
Tortona, Italy
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,097 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights, the choice to book this property has been a very good idea,in the heart of Ocean Drive, just fews steps from Miami beach, opposite the Lummus Park, in the heart of nightlife and the most "hot" south beach clubs.
The hotel in itself is very famous, scene of several films and TV series, Art Deco structure, I love the facade that overlooks Ocean Drive, but even more beautiful at night, when the daylights go down and the blue color of the hotel lights come on, taking part along with the other neighboring hotels to a combination of light postcard.
My room on the first floor was above all expectations, clean, tidy and with adequate comfort to a 3-star hotel.
For $ 40 per night frankly I expected much, much less.
Unfortunately, the window of my room not facing the Ocean, but it did not matter ..
Since this is bordered by cafes and restaurants, the evening was easy to feel a little noise come from outside, but it's South Beach, and this is desirable.
The hotel also has a bar and a restaurant at the reception, not included in the room price, I personally received a breakfast and dinner, prices are high and the food is not that great, but the location is excellent.
The reception staff was very friendly both at check-in to check-out.
From the Miami Dade airport to the hotel o vice-versa can be reached by a bus, the price is about $ 4 and the journey get 40 minutes, or more quickly by taxi in 15 minutes you will spend around $ 25.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Magellano81
Dear Guest, thank you for the honest, detailed and expansive review! Seeing the number of reviews you have left on Tripadvisor it is apparent that you are a very seasoned traveler, your opinion of our property is very much appreciated!