New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #178 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
Savannah
“Postcard Perfect-Colony Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2008

I always saw the Colony Hotel on postcards and publications pertaining to the South Beach area. I just knew there was no way we would be able to afford to stay there or anywhere else on the famous Ocean Drive. I thought this area of South Beach was the playgound for the rich and famous. Boy, was I fooled. Reasonable rates and friendly atmosphere. Not pretentious at all. You don't have to be rich or famous, but they sure made you feel like you were.

Loved the location of the hotel and the cleanliness of the rooms. The icing on the cake was the friendly staff. The service was impeccable. No swimming pool. Don't need one because the beach is right across the street. The decor of the room was modern and up to date and the TV was an LG LCD with a great picture. The views on the website are what you see when you get there. No surprises....

They have different beds, I noticed, in some of the rooms. We had a low to the floor platform bed. So, if you have a problem with that, you might want to ask to see the room first, or when making a reservation think to ask them about the bed. Rooms are small, but remember this is a boutique hotel. After all, you are not wanting to set up residency, you better be out having fun in the sun. We had so much fun, we stayed an extra day and they were very accommodating.

If you want the flavor of South Beach, this is the place for you. When recommending a place to stay in South Beach, I will not hestitate to recommend the Colony Hotel.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Fort Lauderdale, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2008

I stayed at the Colony with my sister and our good friend for one night. Our goal was to be able to go to the beach during the day and have a place to shower and change so we could also enjoy the nightlife AND not have to drive home that evening which would mean that one of us would have to be the designated driver. Having said that, The Colony certainly helped us accomplish our goal.

We arrived early around 12:30pm, and check-in of course is not until 4:00. The front desk staff was very nice and we were able to check our overnight bags at the front desk so we could head straight to the beach (they gave us tags with a detachable claim ticket to attach to our bags).

For $24, they valet parked our car. That one $24 fee covered us for up to 4:00 the next day, although we planned to leave at check-out in the morning.

Around 3:45, I returned from the beach to check-in and get our room keys. Even though there were 3 of us in the room, the maximum amount of room keys you can get is two--not a problem. Our room was on the "first" floor. Actually, you had to walk up a short flight of about 6 or 7 steps. The elevator doesn't service this floor. Not a problem unless you require accessibility.

The hallway leading to the room was narrow, but nicely lit and decorated. Our room (#108) had 2 double beds, a large flat screen TV, and a bath with a large shower (no bathtub). Keep in mind that all of the art deco hotels on Ocean Drive are very old buildings, so beware of comparing them to some brand spanking new Wyndham or Embassy Suites. The rooms are much smaller than your average "chain" hotel room in America. This, I expected. To my surprise, the beds were very comfortable. One different feature, though, is that they are lower to the floor than usual. They sit on a kind of platform. Watch your shins, as the platform is larger than the mattress and "sticks out" from underneath--potentially a real leg-banger.

The all white bathroom had a nice pedestal sink and shelves on which to put toiletries. Our toilet worked fine. The shower was large. Yes, the shower tiles showed a litlle wear in spots, but it wasn't bad. Everything seemed clean to me. When I stay at older properties, I just bring my white rubber flip-flops that I use exclusively for hotel showers, since I get a little skeeved (I admit) about standing on older/discolored tiles.

There were only 2 washcloths in the bathroom. I went down to the front desk and spoke to Maggie, who called Housekeeping. They told her they didn't have anymore. She gave me a couple of extra towells instead and said she would try again later for washcloths. When I came down for dinner, she had 3 extra washcloths for me and politely refused my tip. I was very appreciative.

There was a nice little bar in the lobby. Yes, the drink prices are quite high. My sister and I caught the tail end of happy hour while we were waiting for our friend to come down and got 2 drinks for $15. The gratuity is included, as it is everywhere on Ocean Drive (to protect the servers from getting stiffed). We usually drive down to South Beach once a year, and I must say, in previous years, the drinks were a bit pricey, but not nearly this much. Happy hour used to be 2 for $10. After happy hour, we were paying $15/drink. Ouch! I think we'll go in the off season next year.

We ate dinner at our favorite spot Oceans Ten. The food isn't that expensive considering it's South Beach and portions are generous. They have a nice Salsa/Flamenco type show with a guitarist and dancer. I'm not really sure what you call it.

I wouldn't recommend The Colony for stays of more than a few nights due to the size of the rooms since there isn't a lot of space to store your stuff. There is no closet. They have a rack of hooks on the wall with hangers for your clothes. There is an iron and ironing board. It's perfect for overnight or a weekend. It's right in the middle of everything, so you never need to get your car out of valet.

I found the hotel staff to be very nice and professional. I get friendly service most everywhere I go. A lot of it has to do with how you approach the staff. I smile, I am always pleasant (even when I have to complain about something), and I say "please" and "thank you." We will definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Small room size
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank w0rklesstravelm0re
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2008

If you are looking for a hotel that has a great location in South Beach, you can't go past the Colony ... right in the middle of the hustle and bussle of Ocean Avenue, South Beach at an affordable price.

The room we stayed in was nothing special but we paid a cheap rate and probably got the cheapest room, however, it was spacious and clean enough with good decor.

Unfortunately we were right next door to the Johnny Rockets Restaurant and were subjected to the noise of the restaurant (especially in the morning) but that is part of the experience of staying on Ocean Avenue.

If you are looking for a quiet location, then forgot about Ocean Ave, South Beach and this hotel. The place is crazily busy and this hotel is in the heart of the action!!!

Service was minimal but that never bothered us. They helped us out with a Cab when we checked out and the rooms and towels were cleaned and changed every day.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel due to the acceptable standard of their rooms (we are fussy with cleanliness!!!!), the location and the price which was the cheapest around this very busy Avenue. (around US$200)

I would stay there again!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Orlando
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2008

First, I will say the desk staff was really terrific to us when we checked in. The lady could see my wife was pregnant and said she would be happy to upgrade us to the suite (at the front, overlooking the ocean) at no additional charge. That's a $450/night room and we got it for $150/night. So our first impressions were very good. The room, of course, was nice, with a great view BUT the windows were horribly dirty. I can't believe nobody bothers to clean them when they have such an amazing view of the ocean. Other than that, the room was great.

The bar in the hotel is REDICULOUSLY overpriced. I paid $7 for a cheap El President (or something) beer. And $16 for a frickin margarita! They did have a great happy hour, though with 1/2 priced drinks so that was okay.

The restaurant service and food was just horrible. We tried to eat there twice and both times they were out of something we wanted. Plus the service was terribly slow. The people were great, I will say. But just slow. The breakfast special seemed like a good deal but it wasn't....it was cold and had obviously been sitting around. We were soooo disappointed by the food.

We went two or three hotels down to the Beacon, and it was SUPERB! The food was excellent, and reasonably priced. Same views of the strip, if not better. Service at the Beacon was top notch. I guess the Colony is thinks they don't need great food or service because they are such an icon.

So for us, the fact that we got upgraded to the suite for the same price, without even asking, made up for all the other shortcomings, which is why I will rate it a 3. However, if we had slept in one of the regular rooms overlooking the alley we would have been a lot less happy and rated this place a 1. Definitely not worth being in the middle of everything for second rate food, service and outrageous bar prices when it's not happy hour.

• Liked — We were upgraded for free
  • Disliked — Noise, but that was to be expected.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Fort Collins, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2008

Our vacation in Miami Beach was nice, but the lack of Hospitality at this Hotel from the Staff was the worst I've ever experienced. They were lazy and very unfriendly.

Stayed January 2008

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2008

I was just down in Miami for the Orange Bowl and I had the worst experience with the Colony. They have the worst customer service possible in South Beach. When we arrived it took 10 min to get someone to help us check into the hotel even though we were the only ones at the front desk and they only would give us one key for four people and said that if we wanted another they would have to charge extra. The biggest mistake we made was eating at the restaurant downstairs. They first screwed up each one of our orders and after receiving our food though once again the place was empty they took 20 min to bring our table a bottle of ketchup. The entire time we were eating our waiter did not come over once to check on us and the worst part was the only time someone came over was this girl who stole our waters that we all were still drinking!! If you expect any kind of good service I would suggest staying somewhere else there our plenty of other cute hotels along ocean drive in south beach that our worth while staying at!

Stayed January 2008
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2007

The Colony hotel is perfectly situated in the heart of the Ocean Drive strip. The volleyball courts, the beach, the restaurant strip are all steps away... right in front of the hotel! The club district is on Washington Ave., just a couple of blocks north.

The hotel itself is an older building so it has the charm of the classic old architecture and small boutique feel. The deluxe room we stayed in had modern decor, two double beds and a nice big plasma TV... A nice bonus!

There were some minor drawbacks. Since the hotel is older, the rooms are on the smaller side, specially the bathrooms. In the room we stayed at there was no tub just a tight shower stall without any place to put a soap or shampoo... this meant keeping all the shower toiletries on the floor... a shower caddy would have been handy. The elevator is slow and small, but it did work!

The hotel does not have parking. Street parking in the area is $1 per hour (free from 12AM to 9AM) if you can find it. Or there is a municipal parking lot on 7th between Collins and Washington (2 blocks from hotel) for $14/day.

Service in the hotel was nice, albeit a bit disorganized. The hotel does provide beach towels, a very handy detail. However room service kept leaving us 2 towels in our room although we had 3 people registered. Also they didn't have a lock for our room safe but did offer to keep valuables in their main lobby safe.

Overall a pleasant stay at the Colony!

• Liked — Great Location by a great Beach!
  • Disliked — Small shower, no shower caddy, tought to maneuver :)
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends