“Great Place, Great Service, Excellent Location”
Review of The Colony Hotel

The Colony Hotel
Ranked #152 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We just stayed at The Colony on South Beach and Loved It!! It is a great location with outstanding customer service. When traveling to South Beach, please keep in mind that you will not be staying at glitzy hotels with all the amenities. It is called the Art Deco district to preserve the good ol' days. The rooms and bathrooms are small but extremely clean. Modern furnishings, very tasteful - flat screen, refrigerator, etc. We had a problem with our AC and within 1 hr it was already fixed. We checked in with our two children (10 &8) and although South Beach isn't a huge destination for families, the gentleman at the front desk made them feel welcome and told them that the elevator (original from the old days with gate and door you open) is the original "Tower of Terror". That was a huge hit for them and every time we came or went from our room, yells of "Let's take the Tower of Terror" rang out. Thank you Colony Hotel for providing us a fantastic South Beach experience!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
zero11382, Director of Sales at The Colony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2012

Thank you for the great review, we are happy to hear your family enjoyed themselves while in South Beach and that the kiddies got a blast out of the "Tower of Terror" elevator!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,159)

Reviewed March 28, 2012

We stayed at the Colony Hotel for 4 nights for the WMC. We were upgraded to the suite and had a fantastic holiday. The suite was spacious and clean - just like the pictures.
The fridge, iPod dock and toiletries were useful.
I would highly recommend this hotel - the check-in staff were really helpful and very friendly.
News Cafe was just a few doors away for a hearty breakfast and lunch.
The barman at the Colony made a lovely Mohito.
Everything for the WMC was in walking distance. It was noisy but we were out 'til late most nights so was no problem for us.
Would definitely recommend this hotel and we will be coming back again soon!

Room Tip: the suite was lovely
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CheshamJill
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We were greeted by Carlos very friendly.
The entrance was clean and attractive fresh colors refreshing.
Went to our room, it was room 115.
When I walked in I immediately relaxed it was so inviting.
We asked Carlos for a nice cuban restaurant and we ate there.
In the morning when we needed to check out Carlos called a taxi. My fiancee
had very nice conversations with the staff. Everything wonderful. We enjoyed the flavor of South Beach during spring break, but when we went to our room, it was quiet and peaceful.
A great place to stay before a cruise.

Room Tip: Room 115 was very nice.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
zero11382, Director of Sales at The Colony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful review we are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at our establishment!

Reviewed March 21, 2012

I booked this hotel after a lot of searching as the reviews were pretty good, at the time, and I thought it would be a fun place for my 17 year old son. However, we were supposed to stay 3 nights and checked out after one. (Moved to the Beacon two doors down and it was a hundred times better!) The hotel is famous on the Art Deco strip, but sadly it's just not worthy of the rates they are charging. To be fair, we stayed on the St. Paddy's Day weekend so it was busy and all the rooms were booked. Here are the negatives with the room we got (again no other possibly better ones to switch to): 2nd lock didn't work and this made me feel less secure, barely room to navigate around room, toilet seat loose and slid around, no room in bathroom to put toiletries anywhere except top of toilet or around sink. Couldn't get hot water from shower, no place to put shampoo etc except on floor, free wifi kicked in and out, the beds were uncomfortable. The kicker was when I went to get ice and it was outside, down an alley, off the main desk (if you can call it that) down an alley. I have to say that I did not feel secure here and particularly as anybody could walk upstairs to the room. I mentioned this at the front desk and they said they watched for people going up, but when I passed, they were always busy with something and not looked. It would be easy to put a keyed lock to access the hotel floors, but there weren't any so anybody could get up. The one good thing - both Albert and the other guy on the front desk were helpful with suggestions on where to eat, etc. and understanding about our checking out early. Our money was refunded without question -- one good thing in an otherwise dismal stay. And btw it was my son who first asked if we could switch hotels!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank museumgal700
Reviewed March 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Colony for 3 nights. The room was very nice, modern and clean, with an iPhone-charging alarm, safe, flat screen TV (though who watches TV in Miami Beach...). Unfortunately, our window gave onto the kitchen, which was somewhat unpleasant (noise, mostly). Also, the bathrooms, while OK, could use some love.

That said, the downside here is service. The guys at the desk just don't seem to care (called the hotel FROM RECEPTION) to check in, took 15 min for anyone to answer, and the people at the bar / restaurant couldn't be bothered to care, though the place was empty.

All told though, not enough to dampen a good time.

• Stayed: February 2012
zero11382, Director of Sales at The Colony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Dear Phil, I'm disappointed to hear that staff was not attentive enough as that is usually one of strong suits...could you please contact me, Eddie Nunez at 305-604-5068m Ext. 3010 - I would like to find out the dates of your stay as I know the hotel was having an issue with their front desk phones a few weeks back, basically the phones would not ring and the only way staff knew if a phone call was coming was by the flashing red light on the phone...this is not an excuse, since you said you called from reception, they should have been able to see you, and should have acknowledged you, please call me as it would help to know who checked you in so that we can work on making sure it does not happen again.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

Went to South Beach just for a girls weekend getaway and had the best time. Harold at the front desk was so friendly and helpful. I will definitely rebook at the colony next time I am in Miami :)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank holly d

Thank you for the great review!

Reviewed March 4, 2012

Place is seriously outdated. Restaurant food was garbage and expensive. Not dirty, but not really clean, just average up and down the board. Service was typical So. Florida bad. Still a cheap room for Miami Beach, a place where you shouldnt be in your room much. Im sure much nicer accommodations can be had at slightly elevated prices.

Room Tip: I dont think there are many "good" rooms at the Colony.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nomadic_Iowan

Dear Guest, unfortunately we do not run the restaurant directly, as we lease out the space and it is not operated by our staff, we have minimal influence on their operations but we always forward them all of the complaints/praises that we receive about them so that they can improve their product. I hope that you could contact me, Eddie Nunez at sales@thekenthotel.com as I would like to speak to you about what you would like to see done differently (at the hotel) so that you would not find our establishment as "outdated".