“Tourist Trap”

Ranked #41 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Tourist Trap”
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Here we go. What can I say about the Clevelander? Let’s preface this with the notions that I have been visiting SOBE since 98 and had lived there for a short time as well.

I went with a bunch of friends to the Clevelander for a Bachelor party. This is my 2nd bachelor party hotel review on trip advisor. The first of which was a review of the hotel mine was at in New Orleans (much better Location for a bachelor party).

Let’s start with the review of the hotel itself. This place is a SOBE Landmark. One of the hotels that appear lit up in night time shots on the fronts of postcards. They closed the hotel for a while to do some much needed renovating. Many improvements were made. Still the overall look and feel of the hotel is the same. Additions include 2 rooftop lounges, improved rooms, and a huge stage over the pool. The lobby is cleaner and larger. There is a sports bar now on premise and I am sure there are other improvements that I am missing here. The most important improvement is the cleanliness of the rooms and hotel overall. Although a landmark, the Cleve was a real dump. Dirty and sticky with the feel of an old hotel in an aging beach town. The staff at the Clevelander was accommodating and helpful. We had reserved tables on Sat and Sun, days poolside and were treated with kindness and like honored guests. The management was accommodating and unlike some experiences I have had in similar situations. There did not seem to be any surprise charges or extras on the bill. I was however completely hung over when we checked out. The rooms were cleaned nicely every day regardless of how much of a hell hole we left them. The rooms themselves were tiny. Probably one of the smallest double rooms I have ever stayed in. That being said they are modern and decently appointed. They are clean and new as well. The bathrooms are also tiny but they are new and clean and have modern fixtures that give off the feeling of being in a boutique hotel.

The food at the hotel is kind of like at a Hard Rock Café or Planet Hollywood. It is decent quality bar type food at very high prices. With so many great places to eat in this town don’t waste your money unless you are like my friends and I and are way too drunk to organize and move out. We ordered room service one very late night or early morning, to put it better and it came on time and without mistake. Same type of food, Chicken fingers, cheeseburgers, ECT.

The reason why people stay here is the location. The Clevelander is located right smack in the middle of ocean drive. If you DON'T know anything about SOBE you would think this is the place to be and be seen. It actually kind of has a Cancun Spring Break feel. If that is what you are looking for than this is your Hotel. They played Loud Hip Hop until 4 AM and tourists from all over getting drunk at the pool. It’s like a rap video minus the gunshots. Ocean drive itself has become an extension of that culture. Morons in rental Ferraris with oversized T-shirts and matching hats cat calling women walking on the sidewalk ruining people’s dinner. The real south beach exists off ocean in hidden spots where the DJ’s don’t have to speak over the music to get the crowd going and celebrities and models can mingle with regular people without being bombarded and annoyed. Miami doesn’t even get good until after 3 AM and the weekends best parties are daytime poolside at places that make the Clevelander look like a hotel at the Jersey Shore. But if you need to be told that then you are probably not looking for that kind of fun and you don’t need this review.

Overall my stay at the Clevelander was a good one. I had a great time with my friends and the weekend went off without a hitch. No one got locked on the roof for 2 days and we didn’t steal a tiger. We did have a good time though. Would I go back to the Clevelander? No. Would I suggest it to Friends? No. would I Suggest it to someone who has never been to SOBE and is looking for a place that is always a party? Yes. Do I Still Love that town? Absolutely!!!!

• Stayed May 2010
3 Thank cmmonaco78
Clevelander-MGT, Manager at Clevelander South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2010
Dear cmmonaco78,

Besides the title of your review, we are glad to hear that you got the opportunity to experience the Clevelander before and now after the multimillion renovation. We do appreciatte your comments and we are glad to hear that you noticed the improvements on cleanliness throughout the hotel, our helpful and accommodating staff, as well as the additions to our Food & Beverage experience. Yes, we are a unique place and as you mentioned a SOBE Landmark, place to be and be seen, that many of our daily guests and regulars can't miss!

The best part is to hear that as an overall your stay was a good one, that you had a great time with your friends and the weekend went without a hitch!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Chicago
Reviewed May 14, 2010

While the party atmosphere and location of the Clevelander were exactly what we were looking for in South Beach for my friend's bachelorette party, the constant problems and disorganized staff/management were not. I booked 8 hotel rooms over the course of 3 nights at the Clevelander for a girls' weekend, and ran into MANY issues along the way.

First of all, there is no real "pool" at this hotel, although they advertise that there is. There are a few "splash pools" (ankle deep) and a dirty small pool in the middle of the ground floor bar scene. Secondly, every time we would put our hotel keys in our purse (not even close to credit cards), they would deactivate. It was not fun coming home every night and having to have the front desk reactivate our keys again and again. I complained about this, and did receive a $25 credit, but after spending $2K on hotel rooms, it was too little too late. The rooms are BEYOND small, with bathrooms that have a sliding door and are airplane-like (there is not enough room to have a real door open from the bathroom). The rooms are so small that there was no good place to even put a suitcase without cramming it against a wall somewhere.

After returning home, I found that the hotel had accidentally charged another girl for one of the rooms, instead of my credit card as instructed numerous times. The same girl also had a charge on her credit card for $220 worth of "damage" from supposed wine stains on towels. She is still arguing with them now over this charge.

All in all we still had fun at the Clevelander, but if I were to organize another bachelorette party in South Beach, it might be worth the extra $$ to book a nicer hotel with actual amenities and space to breathe in the rooms.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed May 10, 2010

Spent (2) at the Clevelander Hotel in South Beach. The hotel is very nice and for the most part we had a great time. The only complaint that I have is that, when I arrived at Hotel (which was a Sunday) the room was not ready which is to be expected. The bellman helped unload my car with my luggage and a 12 pack of beer and stored for me. When room was ready they brought everything to my room including my beer, but after the bellman brought it into my room, he then picked it back up and informed me that alchol was not allowed int the rooms and he took it. The hotel also put a $ 500.00 hold on my credit card and upon checkout I had a number of unauthorized charges on my room including excess charges for parking? If you go to this Hotel, make sure you ask alot of questions get the rules and regulations up front

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 50207Florida36
Forida
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Firstly, we were supposed to be booked into the sister hotel the Essex. All owned by the the same company, Clevelander. Essex is a block off Ocean and so it is quieter. and since we were on business the Clevelander and the noise were fun to a point. The Hotel staff however were wonderful real world class service. Great location if you are wanting to light it up and party. The rooms are small but bedding and etc very comfortable.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Stayed here for two nights in a Rock Star Suite. Live entertainment both nights, two rooftop areas for lounging. Only complaint I had were the SoBe drink prices... $9.25 for a Heiniken, ouch!...
Best part of the stay was the helpful staff. They went out of their way to answer any Miami questions I had and were full of suggestions for restaurants, shopping, etc.. Breakfast was not included but "News Cafe" is a 5 minute walk and serves up good food + people watching.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed April 21, 2010

"TOP GUN" service from all of the staff, that are genuine in their efforts to make your south beach stay all that it is suppose to be. You will regret not staying at this hotel, trust me i have stayed at most others during the past 15 years. All rooms are fresh from having been renovated, and keep you close to all of the accomodations with easy access to both roof top decks and outdoor bars. The largest outdoor party area is highly charged with beautiful and tasteful ladies, and a stage that blows the other Ocean Dr. hotels away. If you fail to book your stay at the "Cleve", you will see those who are way ahead of you having the time of their lives. All prices conform with other hotels in every area, but you get so much more for your money here. Do not settle for a field goal and make your vacation a touch down!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Hamburg
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Went on April 7-10....Got a cab at MIA and went directly to the Clevelander....right when we pulled up a gentleman came out and helped us out of the cab...took our bags and checked us in...came back 2 mins later with a complimentry pina colada for me and my friends...very cool...took us to our room then kindly showed us around the hotel. The rooms i thought were very nice..nice comfortable beds but yea the glass doors on the bathroom are kinda see thru so you could tell what the other person was doing in the bathroom. Fell in love with the roof deck..absolutley an awesome view from up thier..food was excellent...drinks were extremely good..was a little trouble sleeping on a friday night when you had to be up at 530am but hey its a party hotel so what can i say...wish i could of joined them...shook hands with the gm which was cool...friendly staff...even has a cab waiting for us when we checked out...overall i give a 5 out of 5....good job...will be back next year!

Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends