“Calling All Workaholics”

Ranked #89 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Branson, Missouri
“Calling All Workaholics”
Reviewed November 9, 2010

To be honest I came to this hotel to relax and enjoy myself as I had not taken a vacation for more than 3 years. During my stay, I thoroughly pampered myself from head to toe in the spa at the Catalina hotel. Pedicure, foot rub, and manicure; I tried them all and it felt damn good to indulge in this kind of relaxation after a long time. I would thoroughly recommend it for all workaholics like me! Do take some time off from work to enjoy yourself here and you will not regret it.

Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Usa
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Room and bathroom were so small that they were almost nonfunctional. Musty smell inside room, dirty and dark corridors outside.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Reviewed November 4, 2010

I only stayed one night lol my complimentarty night. I made the huge mistake of checking into the congress hotel on ocean drive. NEVER AGAIN . the Catalina will be the only place I stay on South Beach from now on. the rates are good no hidden fees the staff is friendly and they have happy hour from 7-8 loved it Ill see them soon

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Oceanside, California
Reviewed November 4, 2010

We loved the location, the rooms, the atmosphere. We thought the service at the desk could be better and friendlier (Bell Boys were great!). The room could use more lighting. I would consider staying again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2010

My husband and I decided to go to Miami for the first time. Many of the terrible reviews contradicted what the Catalina was really like. The front desk immediately checked us in and brought our bags straight to our room. We decided to hang by the pool for a few hours. There were tons of people our age and a little bit younger having a blast with a live dj playing inside the lobby bar. There were free strong drinks from 7-8. Then it was dinnertime and we got ready in our beautiful room with our tempurpedic mattresses and the shower head felt like heaven. We ate at Kung Fu Sushi for dinner and had the most amazing rolls we've ever had. The front desk attendant gave us all the nightlife activity passes that were going on. The next few days we relaxed on the beach, which was only a block away. We shopped on Washington Avenue which is also right around the corner, then came back to our home away from home. The check out process was super easy and had a shuttle waiting for us to take us directly to the Miami airport. We'd love to go again with some friends of ours!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2010

thought i'd write a review for any Brits who might consider this hotel .
Its in a pretty good location and the beds are very comfortable .......thats about it for the plus points !!
The bar and reception area are pretty cool looking and hip but step pass this area into the hotel itself and you'll realise its a dump. The lift looks like its not had an upgrade for 30/40 yrs , its small dingy with vile red and white patterns. The corridors leading to the rooms are very dark, poorly lit ,coloured two shades of brown with worn out carpets and a musty smell hits you !

The rooms are small , big old style tv wall mounted , a minibar fridge full of stuff they charge you for leaving little room to cram in anything you buy and chill. The bathroom is very dated , unclean , cracks in tiles , light fittings hanging off the walls , overhead shower that continues to drip for 10 mins after a shower. dirty windows and dirty curtains. the beds are nice though !!

The pools ....... one located on the roof is very small with little shade. The other pool is still pretty small but acceptable but because its enclosed by four walls 3 floors high you only get the sun on one side at a time so may struggle to bet a sunlounger.

we were moved 2 times on our first night, the first room they put us in was dirsctly behind a curtain adjacent to the bar with thumping music going on til the early hrs where you hear everything......impossible to sleep . we were moved to a second room (at 1 am) this time with the sound of footsteps on the wooden floor boards above being walked up and down on constantly for an hr non stop. not the hotels fault but bloody annoying so we asked to be moved again. 3rd room was roadside and still noisey but by then (2.30am) we'd lost the will to live and accepted our lot lol

We're not the sort to complain (reading the above you'll be thinking yes they are!) but this place ain't much cop . If you're out partying til 5 am and getting blotto and are under 25 you'll be fine otherwise avoid at all cost.

p.s. my mrs was convinced it was a swingers hotel ?! lol

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank itsthefog
Glen Allen, Virginia
Reviewed October 27, 2010

This Catalina hotel is has very nice decor but, I felt like I was in another country like downtown Italy or France. There were not a lot of Americans or English speaking guests staying at this hotel which made mingling during happy hour so awful. The staff was great including the doormen, front desk, concierge and without a doubt the shuttle driver Willie (cool and informative guy).

The restaurant Maxine's had great food and staff with the exception of one blond bartender who profiled my aunt and I during the free happy hour. I stood and waited for her to serve others then she corner-eye glanced at me wiped down the counter then came over to me and before I even asked for anything asked to see our room keys. I had not seen her ask anyone else and no other night had we been add. This ruined my opinion of the entire South Beach Club Hotels. Management should know this was on Saturday, August 21, 2010 during the Pool party for the hotel guests. While I understand it's her job and discretion, being the only blacks in the entire bar/lounge/restaurant made it seem that much more suspicious.

Kung Fu restaurant was very classy but it is extremely dark in there. There is a DJ and the staff are friendly.

All pools and pool areas (beds) were really nasty and we did not get to enjoy them at all due to unsanitary conditions.

The voucher for towels and beach chairs was really good but the guy who oversees the chairs on the beach was extremely rude. Extremely...

I loved the shower in the bathroom with it's ceiling large shower head like a rainforest. There were a lot of nets in the bathroom. Not sure where they came from or why and I question the sanitation of the water drains.

The elevator was so awful, very tiny and there was a dirty diaper in a bag left in there by a guest (terrible). The halls are very dark in the hotel but the entire three-hotel location was just dark overall. We couldn't read menus in either of the restaurants.

The rooms were very small but I heard that's all Miami hotel rooms. The bed and linens are what they said but not very impressive for the standard room that we booked. There is no refrigerator or microwave so food that you buy at their expensive restaurants will probably go to waste if you can't eat it all.

There is not much else I can say except I would not stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank MsAristocracy
CatalinaGM, General Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, October 29, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at the Catalina Hotel. I appreciate your candidness about your experience at the Maxine bar. I am incredibly sorry that you felt as though you had been “profiled”. Please know that we pride ourselves on both employing and serving an incredibly diverse mix of people and I will share your posting with our entire staff so that we can ensure that all of our guests feel welcomed.
Thank you as well for your feedback on your experience at the beach and your overall impression of the hotel standards. We rely on guest feedback to improve the quality of our product and hope that you will return so that you may see that your posting has made a difference.
Warm regards,