“Stay AWAY!!!!!!”

Ranked #88 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York
“Stay AWAY!!!!!!”
Reviewed July 29, 2007

I will never use Expedia again to book a hotel. We just came back from Miami and agree with all the negative reviews. The staff is extremely rude but I think it is because of the language barrier, they didn't understand a word I was saying.

The shag carpets were horrible, but worse in the Miami heat, our room
air conditioners barely worked - it was cooler in the lobby. I suppose the hotel staff needs to be cool over paying customers. Our hotel sheets were stained 2 days in a row. The front door folks and concierege were only interested in people watching or maybe they were hoping to get "discovered". I had to lug my stroller up and down the stairs myself the entire stay. Other unfortunate patrons of the hotel actually helped me open the doors as the person assigned to
the door was always busy chatting away and ignoring folks coming in and out.

The entrance for the handicapped ramp was always blocked, as this would have made it easier for me to manuever my stroller. This hotel is by far the worst in cleanliness and service - I will never stay here again - nor do I recommend anyone with children to stay as well
- its not worth bargain hunting for hotels for vacations - it will jsut ruin your entire stay.

• Liked — proximity to beach
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Mama70

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
New York
Reviewed July 24, 2007

Honestly, I have never felt compelled to write a review before staying at the Catalina. It was just plain nasty. The staff was incredibly rude and reminded me of the cartoon-esk characters that work at Mode magazine in the show "Ugly Betty" . They were so snotty that I thought it was actually part of an act. Aldo at the towel stand actually scoffed at us for asking for two towels each.

The shaggy red carpet in the lobby and stairwells is gross and I won't dare imagine what lies beneath. The maids leave their carts in the hallway at all times leaving a foul odor in the air. Our bathroom had a ring of dirt around it that really freaked me out.

What's up with the DJ in the lobby?! I didn't know I was booking a 24 hour club when I booked my room.

I'm especially sad that we spent $150 a night. I think we could have found something much cleaner and quieter for the same price.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service, fellow guests, dirty
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank navi14

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

MD
Reviewed July 17, 2007

THE START:

My friends and I came for a long weekend our first time in Miami. So we were waiting for the shuttle and kept calling the hotel to check on the time it arrived. We saw it pass us!! My friend had to chase it down. Come to find out, the shuttle has a designated gate for pick-ups and we were not told. They run one shuttle between six hotels! That's crazy!! The ride wasn't long so we packed in and were just ready to party! We didn't plan on spending much time in the room anyway.

THE GOOD:

We had a smooth check-in and they put our bags in our room for us and we came just in time for the daily happy hour! Every day from 7pm-8pm they have free drinks. Only you can choose from white rum and vodka mixed with orange, pineapple, or cranberry juice. The bartenders were great.

The front desk had passes to local clubs and were nice about giving directions and giving opinions about different places.

They have free bike rentals in the morning. And the paper was delivered to our door every morning.

It was a short walk to the beach and a lot of stores and clubs and Burger King.

THE HIDDEN:

On the internet they said that they had a garden where they held yoga every morning at 7am. We got there and the garden was TINY....barely big enough for two people. They stopped doing yoga, but they didn't change their website. The pool is located in the building next door and they didn't say that either.

THE BAD:

The cleaning staff was a bit.....abrupt. They came in without knocking and got mad because we were in there when they wanted to clean. Someone threw up on the carpet in the middle of the hall and they didn't clean it much, if at all. There were four of us in the room and they only left 3 towels and two wash cloths. It was a hassle to get towels.

Our phone in the room was broken and no one came to fix it for the first two days. On the third day (and several phone calls and visits to the front desk), a man came looked at it and left. We were not compensated in any way. We had to use precious cell phone minutes to call places.

THE END:

We had a 12 noon flight and they told us that we could catch the shuttle at 10am and to call at 9am to make sure everything was okay. Well we did and it wasn't. It was 10:40am and the shuttles (they had 2 this time) were outside and the men were talking. Time kept passing and we didn't want to have to rush through the airport. So the doorman offered to call a cab van for us so we agreed. It cost $32 though, but it was better than risking missing the plane. We were just ready to be done with The Catalina! It didn't ruin our trip though!

• Liked — Close to the beach, Daily Happy Hour, Close to stores, clubs and food
  • Disliked — Rude cleaning staff, broken phone, Shuttle service
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank geminiangel528
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2007

A friend and I (20something girls) stayed at the Catalina Hotel at the end of June 2007 for 4 nights.

We had some reservations about the hotel, after reading the hit & miss types of reviews on TripAdvisor, but we managed to snag a pretty
good rate on Expedia ($65/night) so we booked it anyway.

I will probably never stay at this hotel again. My job has me travelling a lot and staying in hotels a lot and this hotel, honestly, had the WORST service out of any hotel I've ever stayed in.
My friend works for a hotel chain at home and was also appalled at their lack of service.

Everyone at the front desk was rude (i.e. letting me buy the internet
for a day knowing full-well it was NOT working which gave me the hassle of tech-support and having to get it refunded eventually), the
pool-guy was rude (he would see us standing at the hut waiting for towels and would take his sweet time to come over), the beach guy almost never brought us change for our umbrella ($15/day?? that's expensive)..I had to chase down one of his associates for it. The servers in the hotel bar at the Maxine (the building we stayed in) were rude and I would never suggest eating there. My friend and I ordered breakfast which was overpriced and served lukewarm and I asked for a glass of milk but received a tall glass of ice-water (and at this point I'll mention we were the only ones eating breakfast...I guess that should have been a sign).

The rooms were gorgeous, the beds were comfortable, the shower was interesting and took a while to get used to it so you dididn't splash
all over the floor. The hallways are indescribably RANK...that blood red shag carpet is disgusting and made the hallway smell like mildew.

I'll give it some positives though, besides the room: it does have a great location. Walking distance to a lot of other nicer hotels and it's not far from the gorgeous Miami beach.

When you factor in all the pros and cons about this place, there were defintely more cons. And if you can get a rate like $65/night, once you add in valet parking ($26/day..at least with in & out privileges), plus the resort fee, you're still looking over $100/night.

If being trendy and hip means staying in a hotel like this...I think I'll take my non-trendy-non-hip self over to a Ramada or something.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank natchee
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 11, 2007

Where do I began.. I heard of this hotel in STAR Magazine. The pictures were great and it said that 'A list' movie stars have stayed there. I seriously doubt it. It was entirely misleading!!!!! The lobby is disgusting and dirty. The red shag carpet hasn't been cleaned probably ever! The front desk staff are extremely rude and not helpful. It was hotter in the lobby then outside. The room was extremely small! and loud music blaring in our bathroom at all times. We waited at the pool 20 minutes before being acknowledged by the waitress. Forget the restaurant, they ignored us too, even after we asked for a menu. The valet took an hour every day to get my car and I called 30-40 minutes in advanced each time. The valet staff and the front desk staff couldn't careless either. One of them even turned away when I was speaking to him. Just flat out rude. The hotel manager did credit one day of valet parking. We changed rooms 3 times because the first room was like a sauna. We moved to the Dorset building, at least the a/c worked and it was quiet although there was no armoire or closet to hang our clothes. The next night, the lights broke in the bathroom and I ended up changing rooms again at midnight. The front desk clerk was extremely rude when I called. At least I got through to the front desk, half the time the number was busy. I couldn't purchase internet access for 3 days. They leave the maid's carts in the hallway with dirty linens exposed and trash. This definitely is not a classy hotel. I would give it a '1 star' rating and that is being nice. The bell hops/boys who opened the doors, were the only friendly and helpful staff. Everyone else needed a lesson in customer service and etiquette.. I'm not sure how a hotel like this stays in business. Do yourself a favor, just don't stay here!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The rude staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank beachgirl322
Boulder, CO
Reviewed July 7, 2007

It was amateur-hour when we stayed at Catalina hotel:

First the door to our room would not open. 3 keys and 30 mins later we got in, no thanks to the staff of the hotel.

The poolside service was pathetic - nobody there that had a clue as to how things work, for example to get beach chairs.

Room cleaning was beyond pathetic: one day we got all our towels removed and no fresh towels. Nothing happened for 2 hours after requesting new towels, and I had to personally go fetch them from the front desk.

The internet was not working at all throughout our stay, and again nobody had a clue on how to help us.

The valet guy said that parking was $18 a day, the sign said $22 and we got charged $26. Go figure.

Even their followup survey has the "Tell Us Your Age" question twice.

Those guys are a long way from being competitive in a service industry.

• Disliked — The service was horrendous. Totally amateur hour.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Thanosd
South Jersey
Reviewed July 4, 2007

We booked this hotel using the rates given on travelzoo.com which ended up being 129 the first night 89 the second night and 49 for the third/fourth nights.

I would pay NO more than that for this hotel. The room was clean and quite large - I requested a Deluxe King room. We were in 275 and had a view of the wall of the vacant building next door - which was horrible. I did see the stray hairs in the bathroom others complained about - that is from the maid NOT using a clean mop when she cleans the room. Stray hair doesn't skeeve me out - so I just wiped them up with a tissue. No big deal.

The hotel is actually three hotels - the Dorset - the Catalina and the Maxine. We stayed in the Maxine. The carpets are red shag (as other's have stated) they ARE ratty and the hallways are very VERY dark..I do believe that is to hide the dirty carpets. BUT - I wasn't in South Beach for the red shag carpet and goodness knows I wasn't walking around the hotel barefoot.

The room was bright white and the bathroom was VERY small. two people can NOT fit in the bathroom at the same time. The shower was cute the first day then it became a pain after that - there was ALWAYS a ton of water on the floor after a shower due to the European shower door. My fiance has never used that type of shower door - hence water everywhere. The rainshower head was nice and we never ran out of hot water. The sink took some getting used too - if you turned it on too quickly it would splash everywhere. Just small things to get used to.

The odd thing - they don't provide washcloths. The first night/day we arrived I called and requested 2. It took them 30 minutes to bring them to me. The 2nd night I left a note for the maid and she left them. The 3rd night I left another note - the housekeeper left none and I had to call down again - it only took a few minutes this time. Again the next day I left a note - no washcloths AGAIN - over a thirty minute wait.

Now - let's talk about the pool. I did not use it but it was a good size to splash around it. The first day we were there the fella that hands out the towels/chair receipts for the beach was VERY nice. Then on Monday/Tuesday we had a young snotty pool boy.

The food. We ate there once - overpriced like everything else in South Beach. We ended up finding breakfast for $3.25 on Washington between 15th and 16th - eggs/bacon/cuban bread/french fries/coffee for $3.25! Yup. If you eat anywhere else - you're crazy! We also found a supermarket that sells hot Latin food for $5.75! Ribs/chicken or fish with two sides. The market is around 15th and Washington too - alas...we found these places Monday night and we were leaving on Wednesday.

The front desk staff. There was a rude young front desk boy - very nasty - like I was working for him. He gave out wrong information with an attitude. I had asked them for the nearest H&M store. I was promised they would google it and call me back. No call. I called again - with a promise from another person they would call right back. No call. I went down to the front desk and the RUDE boy said they are only located in Chicago and New York - very snotty too. WHAT??!! HUH??!! Uh no...they are NOT only located in those places. He would have been best to reply - there are none located in Floriday ma'm. Instead of being snotty about it and giving out wrong information.

I called the front desk once to ask the time fo the sunrise in the morning - I'm not sure if it was the same boy (I say boy because he wasn't older than 20 - still a baby in my eyes) - the response I received - I don't know 6 or 630. HUH?? You don't know? Google it then stupid!!! 6 or 630??!! What kind of answer is THAT?

The mini-bar in the room is very convenient. Just remember to replace whatever you take - I think they charged $3.00 for a soda. There is a CVS/Walgreens two blocks away and the supermarket on 15th and Washington. There is also a liquor store 1 block away - the fridge in the room keeps everything nice and cold.

We didn't have a "flat screen" tv in our room but someone we met at the hotel - they had one in their room - no big deal to me - but a HUGE deal to my fiance (men and their tv's)

We never had a problem with noise in our room - I couldn't hear the music of the club/bar from where we were located.

The beach is a block away and the beach chairs are complimentary - but the umbrellas are $15.00 a day.

Would I stay here again? Nope. There are better hotels right across the street on the beach side :) and the three rude staff members left a bad taste in my mouth. Would I recommend this hotel? Absolutely - as long as you understand NOT to ask the front desk any questions and expect a professional answer.

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — The rude staff.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple