“Stay At The Maxim not the Catalina”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #84 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Stay At The Maxim not the Catalina”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2006

Overall I really enjoyed my stay at the Catalina but have to say on entering the main reception with its' tatty rug, scuffed floor and stressed reception staff, I suddenly thought maybe I'd made a mistake.

I was then taken to the other building which is called the Maxim. This felt more like what I was expecting! With the blue sky shining, I walked pass the outdoor restaurant area with comfy sofas where I was to have a delicious burger later; strolled through the chic dining area and glanced at the well stocked bar and tapped along to the gentle ambient dance music playing discreetly in the background as I waited for the lift.

Our room was gorgeous - very modern, white and chic! It is minamilist, so bear this in mind when packing. I'd specifically asked for the deluxe room and if you have the money, I'd go for the larger room. It's equipped with a large television, well stocked mini-bar, table/stools and sumptuous bathroom.

The Catalina feels the younger sister to the more chic and elegant Maxim - although they are the same hotel! the staff at the Maxim were so helpful - the bar and restaurant staff make you feel really welcome and if you were lounging by the pool, they made regular visits to make sure you were fed and watered. You could even have a manicure/pedicure by the pool!

There was even a pool party when we there and even though my pal and I retired to bed at about 1.30 - the party carried on and we didn't hear a thing.

My only quibble was housekeeping! It felt like towels were like gold dust and don't take it for granted they'd be changed everyday - in the end we resorted to hiding a few, to get round the lack of daily change - drastic I know!

Apart from that, I'd stay at the Maxim again - excellent location being opposite the Raleigh, Shore Hotel and just down from the Delano Hotel - all with gorgeous pool bars ... and only about a 10' walk to all the restaurants/bars of Ocean Drive.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2006

Although my stay in Miami was about a year ago, my experience at the Catalina is still fresh in my mind--in the way traumas are. I'm not a stickler in general: I understand hotels are busy places, lobbies can get crowded, sometimes you have to wait to be served etc.

I'll just summarize my experience at the Catalina (described on Orbitz at the time as 4-star):

During my 4-day stay, clean sheets and towels could not be guaranteed before 6:30 p.m. The hotel's complimentary daily buffet was actually hot dogs and store-bought Entenmann's cake--and I was charged $5 daily for said hot dogs, whether I ate them or not. Later I disputed the charge and was refunded the money. Other notable moments included seeing a valet bring a couple the wrong car, and losing power in our room after we turned on a hair dryer for 5 minutes.

I should've known something was amiss when I entered the hotel to register, and witnessed several guests fuming about broken air-conditioning, having the wrong number of beds per room, and unclean rooms (this was at check-in time, 3 pm).Even more dismayingly, there was a general exodus of adult staff on Friday, and a "weekend shift" of managers taking over the front desk--none of whom looked to be over 22.

I don't want to be totally negative, so I'll note that the poolside bartender/griller was extremely friendly/courteous, and the cleaning staff was polite and well meaning.

Sorry if this seems scattered. Just thinking about this place, even a year later, really gets to me. Needless to say, the Catalina won't get my business again.

• Stayed April 2005
3 Thank hill38

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2006

Last week myself and friends stayed at the Catalina Hotel & Beach Club in South Beach, Miami and although it's a beautiful hotel the service is somewhat lacking.
The hotel has a beautiful pool area and a funky bar. The rooms were smallish but adequate.
But the service was not good (apart from the bar staff). Most of the time the reception staff were uninterested and off-hand. Every single day we had to call housekeeping for new towels and wait an hour for them to arrive; they took the used ones away every day but never replaced them?!?!?!
Overall I felt that the hotel was trying too hard to be hip & trendy and not hard enough to look after their guests.
Disappointing.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2006

We stayed at this hotel during the Winter Music Conference in March 2006. We selected the hotel based, in part, on a favorable tripadvisor rating. While we were satisfied with the hotel facilities, decor, location, etc., the service level at this hotel was well below average, particularly for the price point.

HOTEL FACILITIES - The hotel has cool, modern design ( all white rooms, touches of retro styling, lounge and bar, small pool area with cabanas). The location was good (heart of south beach, across the street from the beach (not abutting the beach proper), complimentary beach club).

SERVICE - The service at the Catalina was poor. A few examples:

1. We arrived too early for the 3pm check-in, and stored our bags with the valet. Upon returning at 3 and checking in, I waited approx. 45 minutes for the valet, then manager, to retrieve our bags from storage. Instead of returning with our bags, both the manager and the valet simply disappeared. In the end, I had to find the storage room for the bags in the hotel basement (on my own), retrieve our bags (I easily found them, not sure how the valet had trouble), and take them to our room. Neither the manager or valet returned to explain that there would be a delay, that they would deliver the bags to my room, or that they had simply lost them. (This experience was not unique - another hotel guest, who actually had a flight to catch, was waiting as well).

2. In a 4 day stay, we never received *any* maid service for our room. Granted, we are late sleepers, and generally didn't get out of the room until 2 pm. However, the room was one of the last on the top floor. We asked the maids to return, and they said they would. However, they instead never returned any of the days. The one day the maid actually entered our room, they made one bed, left towels, and didn't clean anything else. When we complained to the front desk, their excuse was that there were personal items on the (other) bed, and the maids couldn't move them or touch it. This was, however, no excuse for not cleaning the bathroom, or tidying up the rest of the room. They indicated the maids had left, gave us towels, and said there was nothing they could do.

3. For a number of other complaints, we repeatedly called the front desk, and waited for 15 minutes or more, without anyone answering, putting us on hold, or ever resolving the issues. We had to call 2 times for toiler paper (the maids never cleaned, so didn't restock it), and eventually just got it from one of the maid's carts.

OVERALL - I give the hotel an "okay rating" because the "cool factor" may be enough to stay here. The service generally may not be as bad as we experience, as this was an extremely busy weekend. Moreover, I hear that this service level is typical of many of the south beach hotels. In the end, if you are an easy going person, with few needs or planning on being in your room only a little, not on business, in no particular rush, and expect little more than a room in a cool South Beach, this may be the place for you. Otherwise, stay away.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2006

The Catalina is a good place to stay if you are looking for the following: 1) Clean Room, 2) Location near Lincoln Road and the beach, 3) Helpful staff. We stayed on the beach all day and spent most of our evening/night enjoying SoBe, so it worked out well for us. It's great for 20-somethings that are looking for a reasonably priced room.
I don't think it is a 3.5* hotel, nor a resort where you plan on staying on the property all day.
Take ear plugs, if you don't won't to be awakened by people walking down the hall and slamming doors at 5am. In addition, the rooms and bathrooms are very small. It was comfortable for two, but I would be very crowded if 4 people were sharing this room.

New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2006

Booked this hotel using Hotwire and was excited at the location for the price. Read the reviews (too late!) and was worried. Had an on-time pickup by the free airport shuttle, which was great. Check-in was easy and friendly enough. Room was clean, although my bathroom could have used some renovations. Had no problem with clean sheets/towels - in fact, had a great experience with housekeeping staff. The hangers don't come off the closet hanging rod, so if you bring clothing that doesn't have buttons, you're out of luck! My housekeeper was kind enough to bring me hangers from her own home! - so kind, and I truly appreciated that. Common areas were not in good shape and the carpet needs to be removed - it's just filthy. A fellow guest at the pool said that she was going to contact the health department and report the hotel for unsanitary conditions. Pool next door was very nice, but waitstaff there never gave proper change - when questioned, they said "I'm sorry" but never made full restitution - what a ripoff and such an arrogant attitude! Beach was wonderful. Had I paid full price maybe I would be complaining - this is NOT a 3.5* hotel, but the location was terrific, my bed VERY comfortable and my room clean.

• Stayed February 2006
1 Thank spike101
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2006

My boyfriend and I visited the Catalina we had such an amazing time. The hotel was in a perfect location, and we loved the atmosphere. The service was excellent. We waited a while for this vacation and staying at The Catalina was perfect. We can't wait to go back again.

2 Thank MIAMIBEACHVACATION