“So much potential”

Ranked #86 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Long Beach, CA
“So much potential”
Reviewed January 1, 2006

While the list below will show far more negatives than positives, the bottom line is that I had a pleasant stay at the Catalina (Christmas break, 2005) and would gladly return - which I can't say about some other Miami Beach hotels I've stayed at. Guess I'm just being a bit hard on the hotel because it has potential to be so much better.

Pros
VERY comfortable beds
Nice stark interior in rooms
Pretty lobby and pool areas
Great location - across street from Delano, National, etc.
Good restaurant meals (though the lamb was very seasoned - bad breath for 24 hours!)
Personable staff (but see below)
Free happy hour (again, see below)
Basic continental breakfast (coffee, bread, yogurt)
Towels and beach chairs at beach

Cons
Housekeeping - the room was quite clean, but a couple lights were burnt out when we checked in; each day fewer towels were left in the bathroom (on the final day housekeeping left no washcloths, hand towels or bath mat); once removed the soap from the sink and shower without providing replacement soaps; etc.
Staff (waitresses, bartender, check-in) - while quite friendly, all seemed as if they had just been hired the day before. None of them were able to answer a question without first asking a supervisor.
Happy hour - while free, consisted of one "house" vodka or rum and a mixer of soda or juice per person. Beer, wine and mixed drinks not included.
Hi-speed internet access - a WHOPPING fifteen dollars per day. I can justify this rate over the length of one's stay but per day is ridiculous.
Parking at $22/day - understand parking is limited in SoBe but this seemed kind of high, especially when it took over 30 minutes for them to bring around my car. Instead, park yourself in the public lot on Collins and 8th(?) for $8 a day - a bit of a walk but you'll be at your car in half the time it takes the Catalina to bring it to you, for far less money.
Resort fee - $5 non-negotiable charge per day. This is just a form of gouging as far as I'm concerned. If there are inherant costs in "free" happy hours, continental breakfasts, etc., either add them into the quoted room costs or don't offer them - don't suprise guests with a "resort fee" at time of arrival.

1 Thank MZR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed December 26, 2005

We stayed at the Catalina Hotel and Beach Club and have to say that the Manager has no clue on how to run this hotel. She is very unfriendly and rude to her staff which explains why the staff is so rude to its guests.
Our room was very small and the floors are disgustingly dirty. We had ants everywhere and had some CD;s and a few other items stolen from our room.
We were here for 3 nights and I would never stay here again. There are so many other hotels in the vicinity that are so much nicer.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Reviewed December 25, 2005

We were in Miami for five nights and stayed in three different hotels. After the third hotel, I had to admit that the Catalina was actually, not that bad. But our first night there, at the airport, was very indicative of the poor customer service we received from the hotel (and not to mention South Beach overall). The airport shuttle broke down about 100 yards away from the pick-up point and it was made very clearly, that the hotel was not responsible for providing this service (it is complimentary) and cab fare would not be reimbursed. On top of that, the shuttle driver drove away after many of us walked away to get a cab!
Like the other reviews state, the beds were great, linens were nice, and overall, the rooms were pretty clean and stylish (although not the most practical - no shelves in the shower to place soap). We had towels and bath products, the TV worked fine, no bug problems and it wasn't loud at all (but we were on the opposite side of the very loud lobby/bar area). Walls are kinda thin though, could hear the neighboring room blowing their nose (but I think that's pretty much all of Florida construction).
Anyhow, if you're looking for a decent deal, the Catalina didn't seem like a bad option. We weren't expecting the resort fee but since all the hotels charge it there, at least their fee is only $5. And supposedly, the shuttle is included in the resort fee (which makes it a better deal than the other hotels that charge $10 without a shuttle service even though we weren't able to use it). So still can't get over the poor customer service. The fact that they weren't even willing to accommodate us with the shuttle situation or reimburse us for the fairly expensive cab fare ($32 not including tip) was just unreasonable.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed December 18, 2005

I stayed at the Catalina for a quick weekend get away from my drama filled life.. I am glad I decided to stay here. The staff was very friendly, all very helpful, and concierge services was quick. The room was cool, I adored the bed. I got some really great sleep, so comfy... There was an ant problem in the bathroom I noticed, however not to the extent where I felt the need to complain. I have stayed in other hotels around FL with the same issue. The pool was nice, the free hot dogs were cool.. I overall just enjoyed my stay. I would stay again..

3 Thank nicole b
Reviewed December 13, 2005

I went to Miami for vaction with some of my friends, and we had an amazing experience at the Catalina. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and the staff is so friendly and helpful. The Catalina is definitely a keeper. I'll be staying there everytime I visit Miami.

• Stayed October 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 12, 2005

I never imagined having such a pleasant stay at a Miami beach hotel. Before I stayed at the Catalina, I had numerous bad experiences at other hotels in Miami. They were either too crowded or too small or just plain dirty. At the Catalina, I didn't experience any of that. Everyone was nice and the rooms were great. Plus, I got the best massage I've ever had right in my room. Definitely will stay there again the next time i'm in south Florida!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 12, 2005

With so many splendid hotel choices in the Miami area, it's hard to pick the "perfect" spot, but the Catalina Hotel and Beach Club is about as perfect as it gets. Of course, it helps to have the "perfect" company, as I did, but nonetheless, from the impeccable modern designs and ammenities to the super-friendly and efficient service, the overall vibe is very enticing. You can't go wrong with this one!

Stayed October 2005