“Totally worth the money”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #89 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed March 8, 2009

I found all of the staff to be courteous and helpful, including the front desk. The rooms were not dirty, it is just clearly an old building. I am also not the type to take pictures of the corners of the bathroom. The point of my vacation was the beach, and for that, this hotel was fantastic! It was a very short walk to the beach, in a nice central location for food and shopping. The elevator, while small, was prompt and quick. I also found that I had no problem with noise, despite being in the Catalina and not one of the neighboring buildings (other reviews have noted being unable to sleep). I also enjoyed that, while I didn't have a view, when I opened the shades the windows filled the room with sunlight (not just a tiny little box window). For the price I paid, I was surprised at how little problems I had, frankly. If you are looking for prime luxury, go to the Ritz. If you want a nice place to sleep and hang out, stay here!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank agrussell
Write a ReviewReviews (4,784)

Reviewed March 7, 2009

Me and my husband stayed at Catalina just for 2 days and was enough to never came back again.
The hotel is a mix of motel and club. The entire hotel is dark, is impossible not have a headache there. First we got there, they gave us a room at first floor at front pool, but was impossible stay in this room because it was impossible to open the curtains with people looking at us. I have to ask them to move us. They gave us a room at third floor, so we could at least open the curtains and let the sun light came in.
The cleanliness of the room was terrible. Rest of lettuce and hair at the shelf, at the bathroom and for all floor. I hate every minute in this hotel.
Oh! And about that smell? The entire hotel smells a strong product or parfum, probably to hide that poor cleaness.
When we were making our luggage to check out, we found an underpants at floor, between bed and curtain. It was disgusting!
We´ll never came back at this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2009

Horrible customer service and the front desk staff do not know how to properly use the system. We were wrongly charged for the hotel room, which was already paid through priceline. We were repeatedly told by the staff that they had resolved the issue with priceline, yet they still charged us for the room without our knowledge...not a fun surprise to discover after returning home from vacation.

Countless hours have been spent on the phone with numerous staff members, yet little progress has been made because no one understands the problem or knows how to resolve it. As a result, we've been the ones working on an issue that should solely be between priceline and the Catalina.

I would not recommend this hotel if you expect quality customer service, or simply staff that have been properly trained for the job.

I will say that the concierge, Charlie, was helpful in addition to one other staff member-- besides those two, major training needs to be done!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2009

Recently returned from a weekend trip to South Beach. I've stayed in many hotels in South Beach and Coconut Grove and I'd rate this hotel a 6.5 out of ten. For one when booking a room in South Beach, "Art Deco" means old hotel where we throw on some paint and some trendy furniture. The location is ideal. You are within walking distance to everywhere. The rooms are very, very small. The service is "fair" at best. That seems to be standard in South Beach. Overall not an awful stay, and I would recommend if you are looking for something in the $125 a night category.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I would echo the other reviews. Dark, dark hallways to small room with tile bathroom. Rusted fixtures in bathroom, despite very loud, clanky exhaust fan. Room smelled like Chlorox, but another guest warned me not to complain, or I would be moved to a worse room, as her friend had. Hotel entrance through nightclub/bar in each of the three buildings, and second floor room got the benefit of the bar's music.
Location was near Lincoln shopping, but adjacent to boarded up buildings and homeless rest stop (and urinal).
I, too, had to wait a long time, twice, for check-in. The desk staff rushed through his introductory remarks in a bored mumble, so I never really figured out what was offered when. Check-out was speedy, since I was the only one checking out at 3:30 am. I was charged an extra $10 after I left, probably because I jiggled the honor bar to stop the rattling noise in the middle of the night. There were no drawers, or shelves to put clothes on, because the one available shelf was for the snacks for sale tray.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I travel often as a corporate pilot, visiting many hotels, so this one was a treat. After staying in many typical hotels, ie. Marriott, Hilton, and Double Tree, I was ready for something different. This place was in a grand location, close to Lincoln Street,Ocean Drive, and of course the beach. The Decor is Art-deco and some what "old" but "new" You will just have to experience it for your self to know what I mean. We got two standard rooms on price-line for $50 per room and it was well worth it. From the mini-bar, and snacks, to the lounge overlooking Collins Ave, which is A1A beachfront, it was Super. I would stay here again if we return in the future. I don't drink alcohol, but they also have a free happy hour, if you desire.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank natornator
Reviewed February 21, 2009

This Hotel is great for the money I spent. I called ahead to see if they had availability and got a walk-in rate for 44.00 a night plus an extra 10.00/per day resort fee.
This hotel consists of 3 buildings in a row each having it's own identity with two pools. Each Building has it's own restaurant/bar and front walk patio. The room I had was modern and clean. The only thing I can complain about is the noise. Walls are very thin and you can hear the person next-door. You will definitely hear the sound of doors slamming during the night. The staff at the front desk were amazing and very helpful with any questions I had asked.
You are central to everything South Beach has to offer, with your major hotels right across the street. You are a 3-5 minute walk to the Beach, CVS Pharmacy, Walgreen's and Shopping.
The famous Ocean Drive strip isn't far at all....it's a nice 5-10min walk either on the street or the pathway that runs all along the beach. Bring your camera because there's plenty of things to photograph.
I've been to South Beach many times and would stay here again for the price....Would I stay for 150.00 a night??? I'd shop around if I had the time....

RayRay