“Pay the $50 to upgrade rooms”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #89 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Myself and my boyfriend stayed for 3 nights in the Catalina Hotel
Check in didn't take long and we got asked if we wanted to pay $50 dollars to upgrade rooms and stay in the building above Fung Ku which was the best decision we made. Was a room on the 3rd floor, very nice, clean and big was very happy with it.
The rooftop pool was brilliant, we ordered food from the pool and it didnt take long to come and we very nice.
The hotel is for younger party people who want to stay up and don't mind loud music because the bottom floors of the hotel you can hear all kinds of music and it is very loud. I wouldn't stay here if you have children.
There is wifi, its very close to the beach and Lincoln road shops and restaurants.
Not a chilled hotel and don't ask the doormen to book you cabs anyway, book your own!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the D building on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Thank you for your recent visit to The Catalina Hotel, and for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay! I am glad that you enjoyed your upgrade! The Dorest building has the rooftop pool, and FUNG KU restaurant. We offer WiFi and many other great money saving amenities. We look forward to your next visit soon.

Katrine

Write a ReviewReviews (4,786)

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Currently I'm at the pool bar at the Catalina and must I tell you my experience has been fabulous. Even though the room and service isn't all that... But once you get to the pool bar you have been transferred to another side of south beach. Here at the pool bar Johnson and Erez have been a blast and made my day at the Dorsey side. Best bartenders you can spend some time with, they want to make sure that you have the special treatment. Thanks guys you're the best && I most certainly look forward coming on my next free day!!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank zaitarocks

Hello zaitarocks and thank you for choosing to stay with us! The bar on the rooftop is lovely! We can make any of your favorite cocktails, so you can sip on while soaking up the summer sun! We strive on providing outstanding service, so it pains us to read that is not what you were given! We look forward in having you stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

I don't want to rip on this hotel to much because it has potential. But I have to say that a hotel that caters to loud music and drunk loud ppl in the lobby area is a place you do not want to try to receive R&R. I understand their concept of party and good time. But either you're a hotel or club. I think they should become a club because it's about the music than a guest sleep and peace of mind. My wife and I had our first honey moon and we chose this place to try to sleep ( wow ). At bed time we had two genre of music playing loudly at the same time. Hip hop in the lobby, and Latin music next door. We're on the first floor next to all of it so you can imagine the night mare of tossing and turning all night. The staff is mediocre at best. Complimentary drinks at happy hour but 3.00 for a bottle of water. Needless to say we lost weight with constant trips to Walgreens. One of the shuttle drivers act like we were bothering him when we asked for a ride. Their shuttle is constantly on charge. Be lucky if u get a ride. They have two dark skinned fellows that stand behind this podium on the porch. They look like bouncers. They look mean and don't speak. They have this whatever look on their face as if to say you're a guess here, so what. I hate the one blah bartender loir. He calls you his friend when u put a dollar in his jar besides that he's a jerk. If you ask him for something, one word answer, NO. Then he turns away with his nerdy black framed glasses. I was a shuttle driver at the Hampton inn. When a guest ask for simple things, if the hotel didn't have it we went out to get it. Example: a guess told me she needed tampons it's an emergency. I'm a man and I told her with no hesitation to write the brand down she needed and I'll get it for her. Needless to say she was grateful. I didn't accept her tip. It was my pleasure because I can tell she was having a rough day. You see catalina it's about the guest. You go above and beyond. 3 star hotel, 5 star hotel. Doesn't matter. Human decency should be automatic especially when running a business. I'll speak to a passing stranger on the street if we make eye contact. Most times your staff didn't look or speak to us at all. Except if you got the tip money ready. This is a tip hungry community. Our room was cozy except for noise. You need a couple premium channels for cable. Stop being so cheap. Make more things complimentary than guest having to frequent Walgreens that the shuttle wouldn't take us to. It's not far to walk but when I say I want a ride I want a bloody ride. That's the point. Aron the desk clerk was very professional and accommodating. Juan the concierge was professional and accommodating. Eddie was awesome and the poster Guy of how service to should be at a hotel. He always spoke and ask how we were with the greeting of sir and mam, with a firm hand shake. You can tell he love what he does. I love that work ethic conviction. I still hate loir bartender customer service isn't his calling. Back to Eddie. Eddie we made it to our flight on time no problems. We didn't need that taxi after all. Glad we saved our money taking the free shuttle that forgot to get us earlier. Eddie it only took 13 min to get to the airport not 50. I don't know if you were trying to split the money with the taxi driver because you were trying to hard but it's cool I forgive you because you're a likable guy. When we got home and laid in bed( yay). I ask my wife did she hear that. She replied what. And I said absolutely nothing, we both laughed.No place like home. Took me a week to get my sleep back on track. If you want noise and a nonstop party go to the catalina. If you want to party and then go to your quiet hotel to call it a night, go some where else. Catalina surprisingly some ppl like. It's just not for us, but I wish it much success. No salt lol. Catalina ,you guys don't have to reply with an explanation. We strive to be the best and accommodate all our guest crap. I get it lol. This is my opinion and my opinion is not your reality. The people will still go to your hotel. Because this is the world we live in. This review is just to get things off my chest not to bash you. I did say some nice things also. All in all it was not the hotel to stay to have our first honeymoon. My wife and I been married for 11 years and finally had the funds to travel. The only regret I'm sorry to say was the catalina hotel. Peace and love get better and fire loir. Until never time. Good bye.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 19, 2014

There is a free WIFI at the room, the hotel is in good location but the room is terrible and there is bad smell inside the room and at the hotel. the valet and parking price is really expensive.
The hotel is really close to the beach.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank ariel h

Good Afternoon ariel h,

We value all of our guests feedback and thank you for sharing yours with us! We do offer a load of great amenities, WiFi being just one of them. Our housekeepers work hard to deep clean every room, before turning it over to a new set of guests. It pains us to read that is not what you were given! I will make sure to share your comment regarding cleanliness to the Director of Housekeeping. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back so you may reap the benefits of our continuous improvements here at The Catalina Hotel.

Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

I was able to get an excellent rate on a third party site which was much better than anything else in the area. The valet parking was a little steep at $35 and the service wasn't great. My husband went went down at 11:30 am to request the car for 12. He was told by the valet to 'wait a minute' , meanwhile 2-3 other people were served while my husband continued to wait. When he finally made the request, the valet just told him to come back as 12. We came back at 12, ready to check-out but had to wait in the lobby for 10 mins or so for our car. Not a big deal, but if you're charging a premium, the service rendered should be impressive, I think. There are parking garages within walking distance that charge about $20 but no in/out privileges according to the front desk. Other than that, the beds were comfy, the room was small but clean, the bamboo pool was great and I had the best pina colada ever at the bar! The beach chairs were also a nice addition at the beach which was a short walk away. Would recommend if you're traveling on a budget!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Heather N
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2014

Hello there Newtie-Princess79,

We would like to thank you for the time you took to share your feedback with us! Our rates are always very reasonable! I will make sure to share your feedback regarding valet, with the parking manager. I am delighted to know that you found the room clean and the pools great. We are a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel room. We o offer rooms that are larger in size. Our Living Large room is 245 sq ft and our El Grande room is 280 st ft. We hope to have you stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed July 17, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised with our experience at the Catalina. We checked in early through Jean up at the front desk. He was very helpful and accommodating! The room was clean. Would stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback with us Noelle M! We are very glad to know that you had a lovely time here at The Catalina Hotel! Jean is absolutely amazing, and I will make sure to inform him of your kind words! We would love to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 17, 2014

I come to miami a lot! So I've stayed in quite a few diff hotels here. I absolutely love this hotel. Not only does it have great amenities but the service is always a1!! Jean at the front desk is amazing. No matter wT the problem he always had a solution and a smile. The people are probably the main reason I stay here. I'll def be back to see Jean on my next trip to Miami!!

• Stayed: July 2014

Good Day Courtney O! Thank you for sharing your lovely review with us! We offer unbeatable prices with great money saving amenities to go with. I see that you were able to able to enjoy the great service that our team provides! We can't wait to have you stay with us again!