“Excellent location, great staff. However rooms.....”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #89 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Location, location, LOCATION makes it worth staying here. It is nice to have the free happy hour, the bike rental, the airport pick up, beach club. It is also really important to have a restaurant open 24/7 with proper food and not just fast food. I received an upgrade to the hotel penthouse, which was amazing from the staff (they are all very attentive and super friendly). However the hotel does have a sense of decay and old. The room was in poor conditions. There was a funky smeel coming out of the restroom. The painting from the walls were falling, the carpet feels dirty and old. It has a very antique feeling. I believe they should consider on making this a little bit nicer.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if possible.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Hello there Tania O,

We would like to thank you for the time you took to share your feedback with us, and all of our future guests! We are definitely in a lovely location on South Beach! We offer a load of money saving amenities to all of the guests that stay with us. I will pass on your feedback to the rest of our staff. We hope that you would stay with us again in the future!

Katrine

Write a ReviewReviews (4,840)

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Dirty, smelly, staff is non responsive at best. Pretty much the worst hotel I´ve ever stayed. Looks good. Lot´s of good reviews which I just dont understand. We simply got taken for fools. Dont let that happen to you.
Staying in a rented car is heaven compared to that dump. Hotel it does not deserve to be named.

Room Tip: Stay at your own risk.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Good Afternoon Notsag,

We value all of our guests feedback and would like to thank you for sharing yours with us! We are extremely sorry to read that you did not have an amazing time here at The Catalina Hotel! I will make sure to pass on your feedback to the rest of our staff.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Good location, very friendly staff, room was poorly sound insulated, rooftop bar/pool played loud rap/techno all afternoon. Free airport shuttle and bikes were appreciated. Several excellent places to dine within a few blocks.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello there KenTheTraveler2014,

Thank you so much for taking your time to share your honest feedback with us, regarding your recent stay! We are located in a prime spot on South Beach. Our staff is always eager to provide excellent customer service! I see that you enjoyed the amenities that we offer as well. Please come back soon!

Reviewed March 5, 2014

we booked the catalina last minute. it was the cheapest option in the area on collins ave (288/night). they put us in room 100 right off the lobby. i knew this was going to be terrible, but went with it. friday night was fine. saturday night however, not so much. we were awakened at 1:30am by boisterous laughter and glasses clanking. 20 min later i called the front desk and asked them to ask the people to please keep it down. the noise continued. i called again. same deal. they quieted for maybe 45 min then started back up again. at 3:30am i called again. at that point the clerk told me that the bar closed at 3am but they have a liquor license until 5am! obviously, i flipped out and thankfully the noise ended. the next morning i intended to speak with the manager but he doesn't get in until 11am and we wanted to start our day. they did end up waving the resort fees for us (a whopping 50 bucks). in my opinion, not enough but when the manager doesn't roll in until 11am and is only available during peak sun time, what can you do?

bottom line, if you wanna party, stay here. if you want to relax and be a person, do not stay here.

Room Tip: whatever you do, DO NOT let them put you in room 100!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Hello there taracita21,

We would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us and all of our future guests! We apologize that the noise continued until the early morning. We cannot control our guests behavior but we do the best that we can do make sure that things don't get out of control. Guests do indeed come to Miami to party and have a great time. I will make sure that the General Manager is aware of this, so that it doesn't happen again. I am glad that we were able to compensate you for the inconveniences that you experienced here.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

My stay in Miami was unforgettable the people are awesome not what i expected. our stay at the Rivera Suites was good. We received great help by Tyrell at the Catalina who helped us with all our outings. cant wait to go back

Room Tip: does not matter what room your in. cause your never in it.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Good Day MIAMIMARY2014,

We value all of our guests feedback and we are very delighted to know that you were given great service by Tyrell our Concierge. He is wonderful and knows all about the hottest spots on South Beach! I will make sure to let him know of your lovely praise!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I have never left a review before but seeing some of the other reviews really shocked me. My girlfriend and I stayed here during spring break and from the moment we got here till we left we were so impressed. First of all the property is gorgeous. Between their roof top pool, second pool surrounded in towering bamboo, and overall property it was the perfect getaway, we really felt as thought we had spend two or three times what we did and ended up with a little piece of paradise. Jean M at the desk was extremely polite and helpful. We asked him about restaurants in the area and he took his time assisting us, even asking other employees about their favorites. He even told us when to book our rooms to get the best rate, that's something I've never experienced before. We ended up going to Flame, as Tyrell recommended that (along with joes stone crab shack) when my girlfriend asked about the best seafood place, and it was delicious. If like Mr. FrequenTravelere2014 you want a hotel room where you can sit behind you computer all day working, or have who knows how many beauty products I can see how the setup is not ideal but I traveled with my gf who has more product than I knew existed and she had no issue. It is located on Collins street which is very popular and being Miami if people are out partying there is nothing the hotel can do about that. Overall I could not have been happier booking here as I did much research before hand and my girlfriend and I will be staying here every time we come visit Miami. I got my parents to book a night here from all the pictures and stories:-)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Good Afternoon Bart H,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful 5 star feedback with us! We are extremely glad that you had a great time here at The Catalina Hotel. Our prices are unbeatable, for a great time, in a great location with money saving amenities to go with- you just can't beat it! :) All of our staff is always hard at work to make sure that everyone is enjoying their time here, and that everything is well maintained! I will definitely make sure to inform the mentioned staff about your kind praise! We can't wait to have your parents stay with us, and we hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

The entire staff was great. Tyrell was very helpful in planning our weekend from our dining to partying. Alexander saved the trip when he located a lost cell phone. Jerry provided friendly service at the pool. Tanya made sure we were well fed. The hotel was in an excellent location in walking distance to everything. I did not want to leave as the staff was excellent. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Good Afternoon candygirl512,

We absolutely love to read 5 STAR FEEDBACK!!!!!! Thank you so much for taking your time to share it with us, and all of our future guests! We are extremely glad to know that you had such a great time while staying with us! Our staff is always hard at work to make sure that everyone is enjoying their time here with us! I will make sure that all of the mentioned staff is aware of your kind praise! We hope that you make us your go-to hotel when visiting South Beach again in the future!