“Amazing , amazing, amazing!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Catalina Hotel & Beach Club

and 1 more site!
Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #83 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Amazing , amazing, amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed at the Catalina for the weekend it was so amazing ! The rooms were very nice and clean , the beds were so comfortable , everytime we went down to the restaurant to eat the service was impeccable! The sushi restaurant is out if this world amazing ! The location of the Catalina is amazing you are literally walkin distance from everything ( or in our case $5 cabs)

The concierge Tyrell was beyond amazing , he went out of his way to arrange a really nice dinner our first night there and got us vip entrance to cameo. He also helped arrange a trip to the everglades . He did all of this with a big smile on his face and always no problem :) he made us feel comfortable asking for anything (big or small) at all hours of day or night and always responded quickly !

In conclusion we will definitely be staying the Catalina again when we return to south beach!

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Hello there CHERSHKOP,

There is nothing that we love to read more then 5 star feedback! Thank you for sharing it with us and all of our future guests! We are so glad to read that you had such a great time with us! Our staff works hard to make sure that all of our guests are having a great time! Tyrell is absolutely amazing and all of our guests think so as well. I will make sure to inform him of your kind praise! We hope that you make us your go-to hotel when visiting Miami again in the future!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

My son and I purchased tickets on-line from Catalina's website for their NYE 2014 party. We did not stay at the Catalina because it was over-priced for the holidays, instead staying at the Hilton Downtown Miami. We were lured to purchasing NYE tickets at the Catalina due to their advertisement of premium liquor drinks, including full dinner buffet for $95. This turned out to be false advertising. The bartenders informed us premium drinks would cost us extra. This was between the hours of 8pm to midnight when we were supposed to have premium drinks included. This event was a disaster. There were unbelievable line-ups for not only drinks but for food and to use the limited washrooms. The dj on the patio was not a real dj, He said the dj did not show up. I could go on and on but when I asked for a refund I was told "no". I will be contacting the appropriate authorities as, clearly, they had oversold the event based on false advertising.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hello juanajuanaToronto,

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy yourself at the NYE party and we are surprised as we have received tons of positive feedback from the attendees. Exceeding guest expectations is extremely important to us and we would love to offer you a discount on a hotel stay if you will be in town again to make up for your negative experience

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

Tyrell is the man to ask about anything you would like to do in Miami. He is a charming, knowledgeable and friendly guy who is always there to give you the best advice and make you feel comfortable while here in. Miami. We booked various trips and excursions and he

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Hello there Jeevan,

We would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us, and all of our future guests! We are extremely glad to read that you were given great service by Tyrell the Concierge. He is simply amazing and all of our guests seem to think so as well! He is in the know of the hottest places to dine, party and lounge at! I will definitely let him know of your wonderful praise!!

Cumming, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

When our flight to Atlanta got cancelled we decided to make the best of the situation and spend the night on South Beach. While enjoying sunset cocktails at Monty's at the Marina we cranked up the laptop, went to Priceline, bid $110 and got the Catalina on Collins a block north and east of the Lincoln Road mall area.

Despite having filtered results for free parking on Priceline our only option when we got to the hotel was $35 for overnight valet. That taken care of we were quickly registered and given room 369. This is when we learned that the property actually consists of 3 separate adjacent buildings - the Catalina, Maxine and Desoto. All older buildings and each with a bar/restaurant on the main floor. We walked next door to the Maxine, through the main floor restaurant/bar and past the hidden pool area (that would have been fantastic had we been staying the next day). Very hip and fun vibe. Free happy hour drinks from 7-8pm, free WiFi, pool table, really neat bar stools and throne-like chairs.

Small elevator took us to the 3rd floor and a small room like those in Paris... modern decor in an old building. The bed was super comfortable memory foam with top quality linens. Being right on Collins there was a lot of street noise but not too bad, the in-window AC unit was pretty loud though. Our view was the wall of the building next door.

Walked the Lincoln Mall then had dinner on the patio of the main floor restaurant, Maxine's, that operates 24/7. So-so but that's another review.

Check-out the next day was quick and easy.

Room Tip: To reduce street noise and have a view try to get an interior room overlooking the pool/garden court...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Good Afternoon boxsteratthebeach,

We value all of our guests feedback and would like to thank you for sharing yours with us! We offer unbeatable prices, in a great location with lovely amenities that are included. We are indeed a 3 building hotel and depending on the room type you have booked, determines the building you will be in. I am glad to read that you were able to enjoy the amenities that we offer. We provide the best Tempur Pedic mattresses and all of our guests love them, and sleep so great on them. Please come back again soon for another memorable time!

Washington, DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

First of all, before I launch into my negative review of this hotel, I want to emphasize that this does NOT pertain to its staff.The hotel is what it is. They just work there, and I have to say, when I made them aware of how unhappy I was with the place, they bent over backwards to do what they could to make it right.

I was overnighting in Miami, before, flying out the next day, after a week in Key West (where I had stayed at a wonderful place that I looked forward to coming back to at night and waking up in, in the morning). I booked this hotel through Hotel Tonight. That was the start of the problem because my opinion is that HT did not give an accurate portrayal of this place, and you can't always tell by price (i.e., "you get what you pay for") because I've seen prices offered at ritzy hotels that were in the same bracket in HT's discounts.

Hotel Tonight described the rooms as small but cosy, with bright red and white highlights. One of the photos showed a bright corner room with sunlit windows and an expansive bathroom. In point of fact, the rooms in the main building (the one I was originally assigned to, and all the ones I saw through open doors in the hallways), were small, stuffy rooms with an absolute minimum of natural light, and a toilet that was in one of those closet kind of enclosures. Some had these heavy drapes that made the rooms seem even darker and more depressing, but opening them was not an option because every room out of five that I saw was like a NewYork City tenement walkup where the one window faced an air shaft, a brick wall, or looked right into another room a few yards away (hardly an inventive to keep the drapes open).

I was eventually shown a somewhat larger room, that had a little more natural light, and just bit the bullet and took it, because by this time, while I thought of just eating the nonrefundable cost and going elsewhere, I was beat after the drive from Key West.

I had looked forward to ending a great week on an up note, arriving in South Beach, relaxing in the room for a while, and then hitting the streets. Instead, I got out of the room as quickly as I could (thereby missing a $30 voucher the manager left for me when Hotel Tonight called the desk to report my dismay) and stayed out as late as I could so I'd just get to sleep on my return.

Hotel Tonight told me that most of the feedback they had about this hotel was positive and that I was the exception. I take their word for it, but I guess it's a matter of taste and expectations, and the fault for the expectations is on the head of HT. They provide a useful service to get same day last-minute rates, but they also have an inherent conflict of interest, since they and the hotels need each other, so the best tactic for using it is to only choose offered hotel with which you are familiar, or can get a second opinion from a friend or elsewhere.

Room Tip: If there is a good room, I didn't see it. Also, a good number of the rooms (which Hotel Tonight...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Hello there BarryD,

Thank you so much for the time you took to share your honest feedback with us! I am extremely sorry that your stay was not a 5 star one! We do offer rooms such as the one that you are mentioning, but you have to understand that not every single room is going to be exactly like the one that is in the picture. I am glad that we were able to provide you with another room, that was a bit larger and had more sunlight. We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback with us!

Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

We've had a very good price for a room in a hotel so well located. The room was big and clean and the staff was excellent! Though, we could easily hear noise from outside the room. Because it's a party place, I would imagine one could be disturbed while trying to sleep. Nevertheless, I would definitely recommend this hotel if you want to be where all the action in at in SB. Especially if you want to enjoy the nightlife in Miami and if you can get a low fare through retailers like we did.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Good Afternoon EEE P,

We would like to thank you for the time you took to share your feedback! We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us! We are just blocks away from all the action, yet far enough when you want to escape it. Please come back soon!!

Islamorada, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

My friend and I were looking to get away for the evening. We found a great deal for a one night stay at the Catalina and decided to book. We had a quick and easy check-in with Jean. A wonderful young man to speak with, he will help you with anything you need!
The beds were comfortable, the rooms were clean, the bathrooms were stocked with the necessities.
We were happy with the service and the stay.
We would recommend to anyone looking for a casual and clean hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Good Afternoon MisiaPinero,

We value all of our guests feedback and there is nothing that we love to read more, then 5 star feedback! Thank you for sharing it with us! We are glad to know that your stay with us was enjoyed! Jean at the front desk is absolutely great, and all of our guests seem to think so as well. We would love to have you stay with us again when coming to South Beach! We hope to see you soon!