“One of a Kind Hotel”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #90 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed at the Catalina Hotel with my two girlfriends this past weekend (Friday-Sunday) for the second time this year.
This is truly a gem in South Beach! Not only is the hotel in a great location (walking distance to Lincoln Rd, Espanola Way, the beach, Ocean Drive, and many of the great restaurants and bars) but it feels like you get more than your money's worth when you stay!
The staff is very accommodating... we arrived in the early morning due to our flight time and the lovely lady at the check-in counter allowed us to check-in early complimentary (we were very appreciative as we had been up all night). We stayed in the Catalina building but we heard through the rumour mill that the Kung Fu Sushi rooms next door are more spacious (though our room was more than fine). The hotel was also more than happy to hold our luggage when we were checking out as well (our flight wasn't until Sunday night).
The rooftop pool and bar was closed on this particular weekend (a huge let down as it's really a great spot during the day) but we were given directions to other great spots to try instead at their sister hotels.
There is also free bike rentals, a complimentary local shuttle service and a good restaurant right next door if you don't want to adventure far for food (though you need to try Nexxt on Lincoln Rd... best salads of my life).
If you want a good pre-party at night, look no further than the Catalina. Ummm hello, free happy hour from 7pm-8pm? Great music and crowds can be found hanging out until around 11:30 and the whole lobby is one big social butterfly scene. You're sure to make some new friends and have your night started on the right foot. And let it be known, you can lock yourselves out of your room 4 times in a row at 5am and the 24-hour front desk will never pass their judgements on you (we learned that one ourselves).
The staff really makes every attempt to ensure you're having a good time and is always there to make sure your day/night is set up for success. If you need any advice on where to go, what to see, or how to get there be sure to see Mike T at the concierge- I've stayed at many hotels and he is definitely one of my favourites for knowing his city! Both times I've stayed he gave some great suggestions and is very friendly and approachable to everyone! He even took the time to help us when we were scrambling to figure out how we would be getting from South Beach to Fort Lauderdale Airport (otherwise, for anyone flying into/from Miami airport this hotel offers a free shuttle). Huge lifesaver- we're super grateful to him!
If you want to party (and let's face it- you're in South Beach, why wouldn't you?) speak to Frank. He knows the day and night party scene like no one else. He really made sure my girls and I got into the right places for our preferences and kept us in the Miami-mode right until a couple of hours before our flight! If he tells you a place is going to be happening- don't doubt him. He knows his stuff!
Basically, you can't go wrong by staying here. Clean hotel with fun decor, amazing staff, close distance to everything, and great rates.
Last time I stayed at this hotel, our group ranged from 8 to 75 years old... if everyone of all ages can love it, they're seriously doing something right!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (4,882)

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I booked this hotel for my sons and their friends to celebrate their graduation and one turning 21. When they got their they only had 1 king size bed rooms. We called Jenny and she made it right. After several times being transfered; we got Jenny. She made sure the boys had extra pillows and blankets to make a palet for the night and made sure the next day they got a room with two queen size beds. On top of that she gave them a meal certificate to enjoy breakfast in the morning. This was their first grown up trip and she helped to reduce my stress!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Hello Tracey S,

I would love to wish your son and his friends a HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY AND GRADUATION!!!!!
Thank you so much for your kind and honest feedback! We are always willing to accommodate our guests to whatever it is they are requesting, if it is a possibility. I am glad that Jenny was able to do so for the boys the next day. I am sure that they enjoyed breakfast at Maxine's as they have a huge and flavorful menu. It is always hard to let your kids go on a trip on their own, especially for the first time. We were able to make everything right and make sure that you also had peace of mind. :) We hope to have the boys back and you as well, sometime soon!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed here with three other friends for my birthday week in May. It was a good price for the place and location. It is at least five blocks away from the immediate action on Ocean Drive. But the weather and the scenery always made the walk worth while. Upon entering the venue, the decor is attractive with a 1950's style. I paid an extra $20 for an early room check-in and I was on my way. The rooms are really small, but if it is 2 people or less it should not be an issue. The beds are also extremely comfortable.

Of course I immediately went to check out the pools. The Bamboo pool is very cute and quiet, but it lacks sun. Which is why everyone usually ends up in the roof top pool. The roof top pool has these little cute beds you can hang out on. They are usually available, but make sure you reserve them during pool parties because then you'll have to stand or sit in a table by the bar. I just wish the roof was not divided as it is making the pool area somewhat cramped. The roof top bartender Angie was very cool and always accommodating. She is popular for a reason, she rocks. Make sure to take advantage of the 7 pm- 8 pm free drink happy hour.

I ate at Maxine's Bistro and I had a burger that was fairly decent. They have a $10 special on burgers on thursdays. But it can be fairly pricey otherwise. The walk to Ocean Drive is preferable. They have $10 entrees and $5 appetizers through out the strip. As well as the 2 for 1 enormous drinks. The beach near by is much better and less congested than the beaches on Ocean Drive.

I also kept a look out on my bank account because I read through many reviews they tend to over charge, but that wasn't an issue. The website as well as the head in the front mentioned there will be a resort charge of $15 a day.

Room Tip: The main building gets really loud up until about 2 am because they have a live dj. it is every nigh...
1  Thank Jojo H

Hello Jojo H,

HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad that you got a great rate to stay with us during your special time! We are always willing to accommodate our guests with early check- in's, upgrades, room moves, etc if we are able to. We do offer rooms of all sizes depending on what the guest is looking for. Some guests would rather have a smaller room, while others want a larger and more spacious room. Both of our pools are great and they both have different atmospheres, also depending on what the guest is looking for. We find that the guests that come to the Bamboo Pool would like a more quiet and shady place to relax. While the pool goers at the Rooftop Pool want to soak up the Florida sun and get some color. Angie is great and all of our guests love her and the service that she provides. I will definitely let her know of your kind praise! The food at both restaurants are delicious and portioned at large. We do indeed use the best and freshest meats, vegetables, etc for the best tasting meal! :) We never overcharge our guests. Sometimes our guests forget about the $15 resort fee and 13% taxes that is added onto their bill. Some guests also consume items from the mini bar thinking that they are free. We hope to have you back next year for another memorable birthday celebration!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I traveled down to Miami in mid-May on a work/play trip and after coming across a rate of $57 for the Catalina, I just couldn’t pass it up.

I was nervous about staying there because it does have a reputation as a party hotel, and while I like to have a good time, I need quiet when I sleep.

I arrived at MIA around 1:00 and found the door where the free hotel shuttle comes to pick you up. It arrived on time; however, the A/C was broken. Although it wasn’t terribly hot out, since most of the bus windows didn’t open it was a little stuffy inside.

The driver was nice enough and after a quick stop at the Riviera I arrived at the Catalina. Check in was relatively uneventful. A tall lanky fellow with a moustache checked me in and offered an upgrade from the Catalina building to the Maxine for $10 per night. I accepted and off I went.

Upon arriving at my room on the third floor, I was pleasantly surprised. The décor was up to date and my room was on a corner, which gave an extra set of windows for more light. The bathroom was small but that was expected at a historic hotel.

I went out for lunch, did some walking around South Beach and then came back to the hotel to rest for a little while. Upon turning down my bed I was greeted with a dead bug under the pillow. YUCK! I understand this is South Florida and there are a lot of bugs so I could have dealt with just flicking it into the trash; however, as I turned down the rest of the bed there were streaks all over the sheets as well as a tremendous amount of hair. It was obvious at this point the sheets were never changed from the last guest (and the next day when I met the housekeeper for my floor this was no surprise. Very rude woman.)

I went to the front desk and they sent up a maintenance man with a bottle of Ortho Max bug killer (maybe using consumer grade vs commercial grade products is what the bulk of the problem is) as well as a housekeeper to change the sheets. I helped the housekeeper make the bed and we doubled up the bottom sheet because who knows what else was done on that mattress.

7 PM came around and part of your resort fee of $15 each night is a complimentary happy hour from 7-8 PM. I usually drink wine but unfortunately wine and beer are not included in the happy hour, just well drinks.

The bartenders were friendly enough; however, another employee (off duty) was seated at the bar eating dinner and complaining about everything from fellow employees to her friends ex boyfriend, etc. After a while she demanded the TV be changed to a station that suited her. During this time there were patrons who were standing because there were no available seats at the bar. I found it to be very unprofessional to A) have an employee taking up space that should be reserved for paying guests and B) to have to sit there and listen to her go on and on about all her problems. I’m not here to listen to that, I’m here to have a good time.

Anyway, I went to dinner, came back to the hotel and watched a little TV before bed. The problem with the TV is the channels are repeated 3 or 4 times on different station numbers. There was also no TV channel guide in the room, so I had to call down and request one. Apparently there was only one left in the hotel so hopefully when I checked out the housekeeper brought it back by the front desk.

About 2 AM, 3 AM and 6 AM there was a tremendous amount of shouting in the hall as drunk guests pranced about. Thankfully the air conditioner was extremely loud so it drowned a good deal of it out.

The next day I got up, did some work and then decided to take advantage of the beach. With the resort fee you get two beach loungers and towels so I lounged at the beach for a while.

I saw the housekeeper for the floor and she was rude, obviously doesn’t like her job and obviously doesn’t clean well. She is probably good friends with the girl at the bar the night before.

I denied housekeeping for the day since I would check out the next day. I did get sunscreen on the floor (I use the micro mist kind which you just spray on and let dry) and got a towel to wipe it up since it made the floor very slippery. The dirt that got on the towel was astonishing. I wouldn’t recommend walking barefoot in the rooms. It’s obvious now why the floors are a dark color.

I went about my day, went to happy hour again (there was a tall bartender with curly hair that night who was quite nice,) went to dinner and then bed. Again that night there was yelling and screaming in the hall in the wee hours of the morning.

Some other things:

The room itself presents a cohesive design, but maintenance is an obvious problem. The wallpaper was pealing, the curtain track was bent and near impossible to move the drapes, the drapes weren’t all attached to the track, the floor was filthy, the mini-fridge didn’t really work, the mini-bar had some snacks that were obviously very old, the furniture was scratched up, the bed was extremely low to the ground, and the closet was very dark, as was the room.

There was a lot of furniture in the room and it makes it feel extremely small as opposed to just somewhat small. Something like the giant floor mirror they have in there should really be hung on the wall to maximize space.

The bathroom had cracked tiles, the shower “door” was horrible and water got all over the place after every shower, the rain shower head, while a nice touch, is impractical (when was the last time you took a shower in the rain?) you have to raise your arms and bend in all sorts of funny positions to rinse areas like your armpits, and the lighting fixture in there used a halogen bulb which really heated the little space up.

On my check out day I decided to take a bike out since it was also included in the resort fee. The bikes were pretty beat up but it was a nice touch to have them.

Upon checkout there was a line of people and only one guy working. Some young girl went to the side of the counter and he immediately waited on her. I said if I would have known I could skip the line by just going to the side I would have. He wasn’t amused. To add insult to injury the concierge was at his desk playing with his phone as opposed to coming and helping check out guests. (He did get the bikes out and was nice enough but little things like seeing him play on his phone while guests wait in a long line shouldn’t happen.)

The shuttle back to the airport was late but at least this time it had A/C. One of the valets was pretty rude and was making sexual remarks about guests. Not professional at all.

Overall the Catalina is trying to elevate itself to a place it’s not. While I appreciate the touches like the tempurpedic bed, and sleek design, focus needs to be place on maintenance, functionality and guest interaction. I would say about 60% of the staff cares and about 40% couldn’t give one iota about the property. That 40% significantly drags the hotel down.

Upon leaving I found out that apparently the Catalina had a TV show. It’s interesting watching it and although I’m sure much of it is scripted, some of it is a pretty accurate depiction of what the hotel is really like and that’s not a good thing.

**Note that I stayed on a Tuesday and Wednesday night.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank GardeniaPalm
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I'll start with the good...for the most part the staff was very friendly. Eddie with Concierge was VERY helpful. The Happy Hour nightly at the hotel is a great pre-game before you head out on the town, we drank so much there we barely touched the alcohol we brought for our room. The hotel is a great location that is within walking distance of many MIA hotspots. The next morning we ate breakfast at Maxine's at the hotel. Don't get sticker shock from the menu because the portions are ENORMOUS...it's totally delicious and worth the money. We also booked a private bachelorette party/cocktail party with the hotel. The food was delicious, the DJ took all our request and made sure we kept dancing and Luis our waiter was amazing the whole event!!!

Now the bad...the hotel is actually 3 separate buildings so after walking into the main lobby for check in we had to walk back out onto the street to our room...I found the whole setup a little weird. The elevator in the hotel was VERY small and it was barely enough room for 3 girls + their bags...there was no ice machine open to the public so every time we needed ice we had to call down to a desk and wait one time up to 30mins before the ice came, this was also the same wait for extra towels/washcloths. Throughout the weekend our key kept being deactivated and we had to go to the front desk several times...sometimes in the middle of the night for a new key...also once or twice our toilet broke and we had to jiggle the handle old school style.

Overall it was a great party hotel but lacked some basic luxurious. Would go back with my girlfriends but not as a family or romantic destination.

2  Thank Shanell K

Good Afternoon Shanell K,

Your honest feedback is greatly appreciated! Eddie is a great bellmen and is always eager to assist our guests. I will definitely let him know of your kind praise! The complimentary cocktail hour is the perfect time to mingle around, and get to know your temporary neighbors. The location of our property is very central, just blocks away from all the hot spots. The restaurant offers great food and party setups for all of your needs. I see that you booked a private party package with us. The Catalina does consist of 3 buildings. Depending on what room type you booked determines the building you will be staying in. We do not have ice machines open to the public, as we have had guests tamper with them in the past. We are a call away from having ice brought to your room. In the cases that all of our bellmen are busy it might take a bit longer for you to get your ice. In this case, you can simply bring the ice bucket to the bar in the lobby of each building. The bartender would love to provide you with as much ice as you would need. I am terribly sorry that you were not informed of how the keys are deactivated while checking in. If you have the keys next to your phone or credit card they are most likely to get deactivated. In regards to the toilet- was the front desk notified about this issue? We would have definitely sent our maintenance to fix that immediately for you.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Excellent location; on Collins avenue, across the street from some of the best hotels in South Beach. We arrived in the height of Urban Beach week; not really our scene so we asked for and received a quiet room. The room itself was nice but not extraordinary. The window faced a cement wall and really didn't get much sunlight. The Catalina is actually a series of three buildings right next to each other, and our room was over a sushi restaurant. The tempur-pedic mattress was very comfortable. We didn't take advantage of the complimentary cocktail hour because it was too crowded and noisy, but we did think that the daily resort fee was a good value for the beach chairs, pool, and wifi that we made great use of. Service throughout our stay was fully acceptable. We'd stay here again - but when we do plan another trip to South Beach we might also look for a more mature setting. We're not old but our club/scene party days are mostly behind us.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Arthur8129,

Thank you so much for posting your wonderful feedback on Trip Avisor for all of our future guests to read. I see that you stayed with us during Memorial Day Weekend, which is crazy here on South Beach! I am very glad that we were able to accommodate you with a quiet room, and that you were content with it. We wish you would have joined the pre-party in the lobby for cocktail hour. Perhaps next time you will. :) The Dorset building is more relaxed and quiet for our business people, or for our guests who are here to relax. Perhaps the next time you come to South Beach you might want to check out the rooms in the building.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Check in was not until 3pm--$80 bucks could get us into the room when we arrived at 10am. They held our bags for us and we changed into our bathing suits went to the beach and pool instead of early check in (super +) ! Hotel staff friendly upon arrival. Room was ready by 3pm. Bags in the room within 10 min of check in. DJ in the lobby was great! Bartender in the lobby during the day was a rude, bartender during the free happy hour was fabulous. Maxines was AMAZING! especially at 4 in the morning! Try the hummus!!!!!!!!! Walking distance to Lincoln which was amazing! Walking distance to a liq store to get your pre gaming material. Beach was a 5 min walk, beds were always available ( we would arrive by 11am the latest) Room was just OK, super small, no where to put your luggage, beds are not comfortable but its do-able! If you plan to stay in your room the whole time i would upgrade, if not this will be fine to sleep for the few hours and shower ;) Rooftop pool was small but good enough for a dip.

Check out was at 11 and they also held our bags since our flight wasnt til 9pm that night.
All the door guys were great but Miguel was my favorite!
They have a free shuttle for pick up and drop off to/from the airport.
Cabs were always available outside.

We will def. return :)

Good Afternoon Stefanie G,

Your wonderful feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you for taking your time to share it with us and our future guests! We are always willing to accommodate our guests if we are able to. I see that you decided to go for a swim while waiting for your room to be ready- great idea! Our pools can definitely make the time go by fast, while your having fun! Our bellmen are always quick in bringing your bags up to your room, as soon as you've finished the check- in process. They are great and always smiling! I am terribly sorry to hear about the bartender in the lobby that was rude. Do you remember what he/she looked like? Maxine's is the perfect place to go at any time for your late munchie needs, or for any meal throughout the day. We are in the perfect location to which you are able to walk to all the hot spots. Our rooms come in all sizes to accommodate all of our guests and their needs. Some guests want a smaller room, as others want a larger more spacious room.
We cannot wait to have you stay with us again!