“Decent”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #90 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stayed here with a few friends over Memorial Day weekend a while back. We arrived on a Thursday to beat the crowds. They offer a shuttle service to and from the airport which is advertised as free but when you check out they add some type of service charge which would equal the amount you would probably spend on a cab anyhow. (again I am unsure if this is still the case). There's a nice pool and they have an area of the beach (across the street) to use as well with towels and whatnot.

The place itself was very nice, everything was clean. No issues with the staff whatsoever. I even spoke with someone in the marketing department about a package deal prior to booking and they were very helpful. There are restaurants. The only thing I ate there were some french fries, but they did give me a voucher for a free meal upon check in which was nice of them. They had a very good happy hour deal going at the bar. (I don't know if that's always the case) Our room had the most comfortable memory foam mattress I have ever slept on in my life... But you don't go to South Beach to sleep anyhow. At night the place has plenty of music and transforms into somewhat of a lounge.

The prices were competitive with similar hotels in the area and they have a few offers going on that may attract you. Overall I don't think its a bad place at all. My only gripes are that I wish they would inform you of that service/checkout fee and the lights went out one night we were in the room but it took about 15 minutes to get somebody in there to fix them for us, and they gave us each another voucher for a free meal.

They require a credit card on check in and this caught a lot of people off guard for some reason so you can expect a line if you go during a busy time of year.

We spent 5 nights there and enjoyed ourselves. Memorial weekend is a crazy time to go there. I'd probably return in early fall or even winter when things are quieter and less crowded on South Beach.

Room Tip: Hang out at the bar!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank defEddie
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Hello DefEddie,

Your extensive feedback is greatly appreciated and we are very happy that you chose to share it with us! We do indeed charge a $15.00 resort fee which covers all of the wonderful amenities that our guests love to enjoy such as- R/T shuttle service (savings of over $60.00), complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8PM nightly, beach lounge chairs and towels (savings of over $30.00), beach cruiser bicycles, WiFi, etc. I see that you were content with the cleanliness of the hotel! We do provide the best mattresses for our guests to get the best nights sleep, they are Tempur-Pedic. I am terribly sorry tor read that your lights went out, but I am very glad that we were able to compensate you with a complimentary meal! Memorial Day Weekend is a crazy time in South Beach, and one of the funnest as well! We hope to have you stay with us again in the future!

There are newer reviews for Catalina Hotel & Beach Club

Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are a little tight if there are four of you as there is really nowhere to put your cases. But having said that I thought that it was a comfortable a nice hotel. Three swimming pools, free towels and sunbirds on the beach. And an hour of free drinks in the bar every evening. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Sorclive

Hello Sorclive,

Your wonderful feedback is greatly appreciated and we are very glad that you chose to share it with us! Though some of our rooms are a little tight, we have other rooms that are more spacious. We have all types of rooms to accommodate all guests. I see that you were able to check out our 2 swimming pools and take advantage of our lovely amenities! Please come back and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed May 1, 2013

The hotel has an excellent location and the rooms are nice. We were concerned about noise because there are several restaurants and bars on the property but it wasn't an issue, our room was quiet. The bellhops were very nice and helpful and the doorman was very helpful and friendly. Our main problem was at checkin. We booked on Priceline and were able to choose a room with two double beds. When we arrived we were told there were no double rooms available and that when using Priceline you could not specify room type. After showing the manager the reservation that stated two beds she said that this wasn't available and shouldn't have been an option to us. She did however put us in a room with a king and a sofa bed, which worked (though, as expected, the sofa bed was quite uncomfortable). I'm happy that she found a way to accommodate us but it's frustrating to book ahead of time, spend hours in the car (with two 17 month olds) and arrive and have this kind of hassle. She said she will contact Priceline about this issue. Sounds like a communication problem... Over all the hotel is nice, but if you are traveling with young kids, be forewarned, it's not a kid kind of place. The room had a lot of niknaks that they could have made a mess with and the shower was in the room so one of us had to take the kids out so the other could shower (otherwise the kids would have been running in and out of the shower, they thought it was a great hiding/peekaboo spot). Also, there are steps to get into the main lobby and no ramp, so stroller access was difficult. Though, the doorman helped us up with a smile. One of the restaurants, Maxine's, looked like it had good, affordable food but we were unable to eat there. I stopped by and asked the hostess if they had highchairs and she said they did. But when we arrived for breakfast we stood around for 15 minutes while they searched and then were told they could only find one highchair and it was in use, so we left without breakfast. Overall a nice stay but with some headaches.

• Stayed: April 2013

Good Afternoon NatalieChristine,

Thank you for your extensive feedback on your recent stay with us! The location of our property is prime and in the middle of all the action. I see that you did not have an issue with noise at all. Our bellmen and the rest of our staff is always eager to assist you! I am very happy to read that you were given such service while staying with us! I am terribly sorry to read that you were not given the room type that you booked. I would like for you to please contact me directly so that I can look further into your reservation. My email address is Katrine.Beltran@southbeachgroup.com. Although you did not get the room that you requested on Priceline, I am glad that our staff was able to accommodate you to something that was similar. The rooms does have a lot of nik naks around.

I look forward in hearing from you!

Reviewed May 1, 2013

4 girls travelling to Miami for a 5 day getaway - we certainly got what we paid for.
Compare to other hotels and the prices I think we lucked out. Now, the Catalina isnt anything above and beyond but it got the job done and the location was great!
We werent so happy with our first room (red & white) so we decided to pay an extra few bucks and stayed in a more classier room with a king bed and pull out - which i would recommend.

We ate the Kung Fu restaurant in the Catalina and although it was pretty pricey, the sushi was amazing!!
We also definitely took advantage of the happy hour in the lobby (7-8) - a definite bonus for us girls and a great lil pre-drink game time.

If you are Miami to party I would definitely check out LIV in the Fontaine Bleau hotel - it was a huge club and stunning! We just so happened to be there the night Miami Heat won a game so it was a serious good time. (It may a little difficult to get in if you dont have hook-ups so I would try to get some before hand)
We also visited Fontaine Bleau hotel during the day and pools were gorgeous! There were huge water tanks with oranges in them available to you to fill up your water bottles and huge big comfy beds to lounge on.

I liked the fact that our hotel wasnt too too crazy and sometimes lounging by our pool was very relaxing and peaceful. It was a good place to rest after a long day at the beach.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Hello Spaunkos,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback, for all of our future guests to read! Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your 5 day getaway! I see that you were content with the location of our property! We are conveniently located in the heart of South Beach- within walking distance to all of the hot spots. The sushi and the food at Kung Fu Kithcen & Sushi is absolutely amazing! What did you ladies order? All of our guests love the complimentary cocktail hour that is provided at each bar from 7-8PM! It seems to me like you had a great time on the girls getaway!!

Reviewed April 30, 2013

The Catalina Hotel & Beach Club had everything I needed during my extended B-Day weekend April 25th-29th - (it had been recommended to me by a friend who stayed there and said he was very happy and would return, so I gave it a shot and he was right on.)

1. Location: close proximity to South Beach (about a 3 minute walk across the street), beach chairs and towels included. Walking distance to shopping & restaurants on Lincoln Rd (which I did everyday for brunch at Balans - highly recommend), and about 5 minutes walking to begin cruising down Ocean Drive for bars & restaurants. The liquor store is only a 2 minute walk away if you want to stock up for the beach or in your room, very convenient. The was also a Walgreens down the street that was open 24 hours. Cabs are everywhere if you don't feel like walking, and I heard the $2.00 bus ride is pretty convenient although I did not try it. I pretty much walked everywhere and it was beautiful outside, sunny yet nice and breezy. The ocean was absolutely gorgeous and the people watching is the best I have ever experienced!!
2. Hotel Staff: Amazing people & excellent service! Keith was our bartender on the rooftop by the pool and he mixed up the best drinks I ever had! Great service and kept everyone entertained & happy. Johnson D. was excellent, he was all over the place working at the towel station and barbacking with Keith, very friendly and nice making the guests feel welcome. Jerry was another staff member all over the hotel downstairs by the pool and up at the rooftop pool barbacking as well - we had a great time chatting with everyone, they certainly showed us a good time and kept us coming back!
3. Hotel itself: The hotel itself more than served its purpose. When I first arrived I was worried about the size of the room because it was small in comparison to what I am used to; however, it is a boutique hotel, very cute and art deco style, comfortable beds and no complaints while I blasted music whenever I was getting ready to go out in the morning or evening; (they have an iHome dock in the room which was great.) It was my sister and I in the room and of course we completely overpacked so it was just a matter of trying not to get too cluttered. There was no bureau in the room, but there was a large open closet with hangers and shelves which worked out fine.
4. 24 Hours of doing whatever you want: The hotel was great because they serve food and drinks pretty much 24 hours/day. After a late night bday celebration along Ocean Drive we arrived back at the Catalina no earlier than 5:30am and were easily able to continue having drinks and even ordered a food from the restaurant while sitting on the front patio area with the other guests having an excellent time; (all the while music still pumping on the outdoor speakers!) So much fun. And the music never bothered me while I was up in my hotel room either, couldn't even hear the live music inside the lobby during happy hour until I opened my hotel room door.
5. Late check out: The hotel was very accommodating as I had an evening flight and was able to extend my stay until 5:00pm for only $80 which was worth the option of having a shower after walking around and going to the beach.

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club: Thank you for a great BDay weekend, I will be back!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Denise J
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We (45 year old couple) stayed at the Catalina the last weekend of April. We booked last minute and had limited choices. We stayed in room 363 in the Maxine building. The room was clean and OK. Bed was very good. Housekeeping came every day in the later afternoon and did a good job. The shower had very very hot water which was sometimes hard to turn down. The shower head was a rain shower up high on the ceiling. Only negative was that water splashed everywhere, but not a big deal. The hallway smelled very musty. That was definitely the worst part of the room. Like most reviews I read, the hallways were poorly lit to conceal the dingy hallway carpets. WiFi didn't work in our room. We never really followed up to complain about it. WiFi worked fine in the hotel.

The rooftop pool was small. There were 12 nice bed type areas to lounge on. The bar was decent. We went late afternoon and got a bed once, which was nice. The second time we went we couldn't get a seat. The crowd at that pool was young - late twenties or early thirty's.

The other pool was weirdly secluded tightly between two buildings. Very little sun gets there. We called it the geriatric pool because the crowd was noticeably older there. I say crowd, but there was never a lot of people there. We relaxed at that pool after long hot days at the beach.

The free bike was nice. You won't win a bike race with them, but it was a convenient feature.

The free drinks between 7-8 were limited in selection, but they had good live singing and the bar tenders were very friendly. Angie was extremely nice and made our last night at the Catalina very fun.

In general every person working was friendly. The bell hops said hi and asked if I had questions. The front desk people were very helpful.

For the price that we paid, I think that the hotel is good value.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was a bit unsure choosing the Catalina as the TA reviews are quite mixed. In the end decided to go with it for several reasons: acceptable room rate for the area ($175 for the deluxe room, supposed to be below average in early April – although there was a $15 resort fee added on later), free airport shuttle, and walking distance to the Avis rental car office (renting there is much more economical than from the airport – if South Beach is on your itinerary and you don't plan to drive there – saving more on parking expenses). On arrival at the airport we had to wait about 40 minutes for the shuttle but it came and delivered us 30 minutes later in front of the hotel. We asked to be housed in the Maxine building (North bldg) as that seems to be most people's preference (although the South bldg – the Dorset – seemed to be just as good) and were given the "penthouse" – room 400, the only one on that floor. It was probably the smallest "penthouse" I've ever seen, but came with hight ceilings, a private porch with a pair of lounge chairs, dark hardwood floors, tiny closet with a safe, two walls of picture windows overlooking Collins Ave and a cute chandelier over the bed, quite fancy, intimate and unique. Although did have a hard time figuring out where to put our few pieces of small luggage as they would be in the way no matter where you placed them. Basically this would be the room of choice if you plan to spend all of your time in bed (it took up almost the entire room), helped by the tons of snacks etc for purchase laid out on the sideboards. Bed had a strange feel to it, I would say it's soft but not the bottomless sinking kind, and seemed to mold to your body - once you get used to the feeling it's actually not uncomfortable. If one of the main complaints people have about this hotel was noise, then this was the perfect room as it was high up and very quiet. You have no neighbors and whatever noise you might hear from the bar downstairs or the street was faint enough to not be a disturbance.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay there. It's an attractive property, with sumptuous lobby furnishings and decorations, and a fun atmosphere. Location's good (this is the area with the much more high priced hotels such as the Delano and the Sagamore - quieter than below 13th street), service was fine, wifi was fast, and the comp happy hour (drinks only – limited selections) from 7-8 pm a nice touch. If you eat in one of the restaurants during the happy hour (we tried the Maxine – good food, live music, and great for people and fancy sports car watching) you can bring the drinks to the table (although they won't serve it to you there). Too bad we only stayed one night, had we had more time, we would have also made use of their free bicycles as well (one of the amenities covered by the resort fee).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple