“Great location and staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalina Hotel & Beach Club

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #85 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
London
“Great location and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed in a family room which was really quiet overlooking the pool. Given that the hotel is right on Collins and two minutes from Lincoln Mall that is an achievement! We were also only a minute from the beach where we got complimentary towels and chairs. The room was a little tight for 4 but great value. The attached restaurant Maxine's had good food and friendly service and is a great place for people watching. We also enjoyed live music during the complimentary happy hour. The concierge was really helpful and when my daughter left her phone in the room the hotel kindly offered to mail it back to the UK...THANKS! Looking at other reviews I agree the corridor is alittle dark...but not the end of the world and nolight pollution in your room when jetlagged. Its worth noting that our rooms had really good blackout blinds and the beds were super comfy. I'm sure its easy to find a few other small faults but given what we paid that would be churlish....

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Hello TaveldadLondon,

Thank you for your wonderful 5 star feedback! We are really glad to read that you had a great time while staying with us! We are conveniently just steps away from Lincoln Road and other hot spots here on South Beach. The amenities that we offer are great and all of our guests love them. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary beach chairs and towels. We do offer rooms that are larger in size for those guests that want more space. Maxine's restaurant has a wide variety of great food and they are open 24 hours. We are working on adding more lighting into the hallways of the hotel. We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (615)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Northampton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hotel looks great as you go in and the location is good. The corridors are dirty with the carpet looking like it hasn't been hovered in a year. The room was dark and small and just felt dirty. On pulling the top bedding back there were a couple of dark hairs on the sheet and dirt where peoples feet must have been in the bed. We were only staying one night (thank goodness) so put up with it. The walls were paper thin and you could hear all your neighbours.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Bluesky77
Good Afternoon Bluesky77,

Your honest feedback on Trip Advisor is greatly appreciated! Thank you for sharing it with us and all of our future guests! I am very glad to read that you were content with the location of our property! We are in the heart of South Beach within walking distance to all of the hot spots around town. I am terribly sorry that you found the corridors of our hotel to not fit your standard for cleanliness. We do deep clean our carpets on a daily basis, and we do have a professional company come out to clean them on a weekly basis. We are working on changing the carpets in the hallways. We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then the average. We do offer rooms that are larger in size. Perhaps you chose one of our smaller rooms. Our room attendants change the sheets every day, and the rooms are inspected by a supervisor before they are given to other guests. We hope that you would give us another chance in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I only know the restaurant of the Catalina but I can tell you I had the best sushi of my life and I've been to many places!!!! They were fresh, tasteful...just perfect. Only thing that I didn't like was that we ate just right next to Collins Avenue and it's traffic.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank disGraziana
Hello disGraziana,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am very glad to read that you were content with the sushi at Kung Fu Kitchen & Sushi!! They do have amazing rolls and also great Pan-Asian food to choose from! We do offer inside seating for those that prefer to be away from the street. We hope to have you dine with us again!

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The customer service here is great! Jonathan, Jerry and Keith in particular were all very accommodating and friendly. Jerry and Keith serve great drinks and even fixed an umbrella for my friends and me when we were in need of a little shade. Jonathan was very helpful in providing us with a (better) room when the shower in ours was not working properly. I would definitely recommend this hotel. The food and service is the best!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I'm writing this review to help others avoid the same mistake I made. I did a lot of research, read all these reviews, and narrowed down my hotels to South Seas and Catalina Beach Club. I chose South Seas because it was ON the beach. Big mistake. I moved to the Catalina the very next morning. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Here's what I loved about Catalina:
- The rooms newly remodeled with very comfortable beds. I stayed in Dorchester building because I needed double beds. The Maxine building also has very nice rooms but only king beds in Maxine. Avoid the Catalina building - that's the oldest building with the red and white "film developing" rooms and dark hallways that you hear about. Take it from me, do not be scared off by reviews that say the rooms are bad. They are done in a modern decorating style, but the rooms in Dorchester and Maxine buildings are brand new, comfortable, and very nice, just avoid the Catalina building (the three buildings are very close and share the same pools but they have their own lobbies and are not physically connected).
- Wonderful staff - every single person was wonderful to us (me, sister, and my son), especially Winston at the front desk, and the concierge.
- It's totally unique - each building has nightlife in the lobby, live music, restaurants, great atmosphere.
- It is a loud hotel, that is true. Loud music playing in the lobby of each building, but once you get off your elevator and up to your room you honestly cannot hear the music or noise coming from the lobby below. The rooms are very well sound-proofed. I don't know what other people are talking about when they say "thin walls" - that was definitely not my experience in the Dorchester building, and I was there for work.
- Excellent location - a block or two from all the nicest hotels Delano, Ritz, Lowes etc. and the beach is right across the street with easy access to the beach front path. Could not be easier to get to. On the beach, you are given a voucher for two chairs and towels daily and beach toys for the kids included with your room rate.
Aside: The Espanola area is very cool for dinner or farmers market, don't miss it.

Here's what I did not like about South Seas:
- The rooms are impossibly small, even by South Beach standards
- The rooms are rundown - the dust ruffle on bed was badly stained, ceiling had water damage, bathroom door was dilapidated, no window treatments (rooms not as pictured)
- The common areas are also rundown, the whole hotel needs a remodel - i.e. the ottoman in the lobby is stained, the carpets in the hallways are dirty
- The professional photos are completely misleading. Those are not the standard rooms. The lobby, front desk, and outdoor areas do not look like that.

If you are trying to choose between the Catalina and the South Seas, which are comparable in price, then the Catalina is a far better experience

Room Tip: The newer buildings are Dorchester and Maxine, both have nice rooms, many have pool view. Only king...