“Boom boom house BUT not a hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #83 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Montreal
“Boom boom house BUT not a hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I booked a room not knowing that music is played here until 5AM in the lobby, which means no way to watch TV, relax, or sleep. The base is so loud, it resonates in my brain even with ear plugs. It is horrifying.
Who cares about the look of the room (which I found very small and not cosy) when one cannot rest.
The fact that the hotel charges an extra $35 for overnight parking is a rip off!!!

I discourage anyone wanting a calm night stay to book here

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Slavicainc
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hello Slavicainc,

I am terribly sorry that you were not aware that we are in the middle of Winter Music Conference and Ultra. Our website mentioned this and also stated that there would be DJ's spinning all throughout the night. Unfortunately we use an outside company that handles the parking for us and they do charge $35.00 per night to park. We hope that you would give us another chance in the future, to experience what the hotel is really like when the music conference is not going on.

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Bethesda, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I booked hotel through Hotwire. It is the first time I used Hotwire and picked based on location, which was perfect and 3 1/2 star rating, which this hotel was not. Right on Collins Ave. 2 blocks form Lincoln Rd. I couldnt ask for better spot. The hotel is 3 buildings and all are a little run down. They definitely had the vibe of retro South Beach and with a little updating would be very cool. I liked the Maxine building's restaurant and lobby bar. They were perfect for south beach. The hallways were very dark and my room also was. I was given a handicapped room even though I'm not handicapped. The bathroom was large, but basically one big space for a shower, toilet and sink. The floors got very slippery after the shower. The towels and bathroom toiletries were below par. The bed was comfortable, but everything from the TV to furniture was dated. The pool above the Dorsett building was nice, but not alot of spots to around pool. Decent music. The bar was nice, but two bartenders didnt know how to make simple drinks. Staff was decent.

Room Tip: Front of hotel can be loud with music and festivities. If you want quiet get room towards back.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hello AllanH328,

Your feedback is appreciated and we thank you for taking your time to share it with us! I see that you were content with the location of our property! We are in the heart of South Beach, within walking distance to all of the hot spots. Maxine's Bistro & Bar is great and they have a huge menu with so much to choose from! We are currently working on adding more lighting into the rooms and the hallways. We hope that you would stay with us again in the future!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Its a very vintage looking hotel so i loved that! food is great, when we went to the outside pool were greeted at the pool by Jorge that worked there. he was very helpful and welcoming, gave us a great service and made sure we were taken care of. The room service is great and they give you good deals on tours and site seeing if you're in a group.

Good Evening Mamamia2013,

Your 5 star feedback is greatly appreciated and we thank you for sharing it with us! I am glad to read that you had an amazing time while staying with us! The food here at the restaurants are great and they have such a wide variety. Jorge is great and everyone loves him. I will make sure to inform him of your kind praise! He treats all of our guests with outstanding service and makes them all feel like they are at home. We hope to see you soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I would like to say the people the work here r nice... If you end up stayin at the hotel u have to go to the pool and see Jorge he is very nice and he makes sure u feel comfortable and makes u feel at home..

Hello Sarahagos010,

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us and all of our future guests! I am glad to read that you had a great time while staying with us! Jorge is a great asset to our team and all of our guests absolutely love him. Please come back and visit us, and Jorge.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights before a cruise the beginning of march. The location was great. Plenty to see and do within walking distance. We used the rooftop pool for a couple hours on the first day but felt really out of place. (We're in our 50's)It was a young crowd,most of the girls were topless and the music was really loud. (Boy, I sound and feel really old now!) The bartender was great and kept passing around small sample drinks. The room was great.. Clean and plenty of room. Beds were comfortable.But the room was very dark...even with all the lights on. The only complaint I had was with the window air conditioner....it would start making a horrible grinding noise in the middle of the night and we would have to turn it off. The concierge set up a Everglades tour for 1/3 of the online price.For the price ($250 a night) I don't think I would stay here again.The beach was close but crowded.

Room Tip: Our room was in the 2nd building facing the pool area( which nobody used because it was mostly shady...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Tlane2805,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! Thank you for choosing to stay with us 2 nights prior to your cruise. I am glad that you were content with the location of our property! We do have a lot of younger people staying with us but just because you are older in age, doesn't mean that you can't hangout with the youngin's. :) I am sure that you have a young soul! Our bartenders definitely know how to cater to our guests and make them all feel great! I see that you were content with the cleanliness of your room. We are currently working on correcting the issues with the air conditioners. Can you please provide me the number to the room that you were staying in. We are in the month of March, which is the highest and heaviest season here on South Beach. We hope that you would come back and stay with us again!

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Yes, I know the price for this place is amazing but even inspite of that, I wish I hadn't stayed here. My biggest complaint was the bathroom set up but maybe the rooms all differed and I wasn't aware? I went to Miami on a girls trip and we shared the room. I was really disappointed to find that there was no separation from the shower, sink, and the room. The toilet was in a separate room. It wasn't horrible but it was just that little bit of privacy that I value highly that this room lacked. Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ADesai90024
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Hello ADesai90024,

Thank you for taking your time to post your honest feedback! I am sorry to read that you were not content with the setup of our bathrooms. Some of our bathrooms are as such, we have rooms that have a different setup. We would definitely hope that you would give us another chance!

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Came down to Miami the first time I had great time. Stayed at this hotel 2 nights it is in a great location, very close to the beach, and nightclubs. The hotel staff super friendly! Terrel is very good, very generous and helpful. I enjoyed the rooftop pool bar the bartender make really really good drinks.

I'll be coming back for sure.

Hello Kman4,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback for all of our future guests to read! I am glad that you had a great time while staying with us!! Our location is central, within walking distance to all the hot spots on South Beach! Tyrell is a great asset to our team, and all of our guests love him! I am glad that you were able to enjoy our rooftop pool area. Please come back and kick it with us again soon!

Regards,