“Good Location”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #89 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed here for 3 days after a Caribbean Cruise. Was quite shocked at first as we were in the Maxine part of the hotel. Rooms very dark, corridors very gloomy and dark too, gave the impression that maybe there was something to hide. Once we got over this part the rest was all good. Restaurant and front of house staff really nice. Special thanks to Pedro on Concierge and an extra special mention for Tyrell Yerby also on Concierge. When I got back to the UK I had a problem with some incorrect payments made to my credit card. Tyrell was more than helpful and had it all resolved in 10 minutes all the way from the other side of the pond. Great guy!!!
Great location for South Beach and not too far from anything.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Good Afternoon David D,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor!! We are extremely glad to know that you chose to stay with us after your cruise to the Caribbean! We are a 3 building hotel and depending on the room type you booked determines what building you will be in. We are working on adding more lighting into the rooms as well as the hallways. This project is going to take a little bit of time, but we have already started and should be done within a few weeks. We have nothing to hide in our hallways. The personality of our hotel is dark yet sophisticated. Our Concierge team is amazing! Tyrell and Pedro are great assets to our team and I will make sure to inform them of your wonderful praise!!
We hope to host your next visit to South Beach!

Have a great weekend!

Katrine

Write a ReviewReviews (4,781)

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was in Miami with some friends for the weekend and we stayed here. Everything about our experience was horrible except for Tyrell at the desk that tried to do damage control for our group of 3 rooms. First of all, they make you pay up front at check in. Never have encountered this before and thought it was very sketchy. The men at the front desk were not helpful at all. Juan checked us in and he was very rude. He seemed inconvenienced that I was there and asking questions. At one point I had to ask him to speak up because he was mumbling and not making eye contact. The rooms are extremely small and we had double bedrooms with 4 people in each, there was zero rooms for bags. More than half the lights did not work in the room. There is music at all hours of the day. We unfortunately had a Rock Star Room right about the Maxine patio. The music started at 7am and so there is no way to be able to sleep. The hallways are dark and smell awful, the entire hotel smells.I just felt like it had a dirty dingy feel. Our room keys were deactivated about 3 times a day and we would have to go back and fourth from each building to get a new key that would only work once. I would not recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kathryn P

Good Afternoon Kathryn P,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are glad that you chose to share it with us! I apologize to read that you didn't have an amazing time while staying with us! We only make you pre-pay when there is a big event going on in town. From our past experiences we have come to find out that it is better that way, and more secure on our end. I apologize that Juan at the front desk was rude. He is never like that and I will definitely have a talk with him. Our hotel is indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel room. We do offer different size type rooms to accommodate all of our guests. Perhaps the room type that you chose was too small for your fit. In regards to the lighting in your room- did you inform the front desk or the operator about this issue? Our maintenance team would have fixed it immediately, if not we would have moved you to a room where all of the lights were working properly! We do play music in the morning at ambient level and it is calm morning music. Nothing too loud or crazy. We are currently working on the lighting in the hallways as well as changing the carpets. This is a project that will take some time but we have already started, and should be done shortly.
The keys do deactivate when they are put next to your cell phone. Not all cell phones will deactivate the keys but phones such as the iPhone and Blackberry's do this. The front desk agent should have informed you about this upon checking you in.

Thank you so much again for your feedback!!!

Have an amazing weekend!

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Spent New Years at the Catalina Hotel. I felt they had a great deal going with open bar and buffet until midnight. The hotel is located on Collins Ave and is central to just about anything on South Beach. I felt that the Asian buffet was pretty good and really enjoyed the rooftop pool area. They had lively music and a live band outside. Overall had a great time. I would be concerned about the noise if I stayed in this hotel... but then again it is South Beach so you probably wont be spending much time in the room anyway!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Hello Littlelady82,

Thank you so much for taking your time to share your feedback with us! We definitely appreciate it!! We are glad to know that you chose to stay with us for New Years!! The party at the hotel was definitely a great one!! Everyone really enjoyed it all, from the music, to the food, to the performances. We are very glad that you had a great time as well!!
We hope to see you next year for New Years, if not sooner!!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 19, 2013

If you arrive expecting to see the quality represented in the professional photos .,,,,you are in for a surprise. Although, the staff was super helpful and friendly. We were only there for a night so did not get full benefit of all amenities. Our room was several notches below those in photos and more akin to what you would expect at motel 6....maybe 8 Room was clean and bathroom newly remodeled. Beach is a block away with coupons for chairs. The "Pizza Bar" three blocks south was well worth the walk. Lasagna at Maxine's next door was pricey but enough for two and first rate. I had the Cuban Maiha Maiha and do not recommend.

The free shuttle was major benefit to and from airport increasing the value of this hotel stay. Art Deco...yes it is.

Room Tip: at a highly discounted room rate it is worth the stay.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Good Afternoon Zekewolf2,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! We are very glad that you chose to stay with us on your visit to South Beach! Our staff works hard to provide you with outstanding customer service! We offer wonderful amenities to all of our guests and glad to know that you were able to enjoy at least a few of them.
We hope to have you stay with us again!!

Have a great weekend!

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I booked through Priceline for $100. My fiancé told me to be careful with boutique hotels in SoBe...but I completed my transaction anyways. I was only going to be in South Beach for one night, cause I was boarding a cruise the next day. I was so impressed with the hotel! This will be my Miami hotel!

The Hotel:
Free shuttle from the airport. They do confirm that you are a guest of the hotel before you get on the bus. When you arrive, they quickly take your bags and you enter the hotel. It's really cute inside (a lot of red and white) but it is tiny! They require a hold of $100, which you can give in cash and they take $15 out for the resort fee. I did not see an elevator, my room was on the first floor. The hallways are narrow. Very narrow. The room was bright! Very white and clean looking. Hardwood floors, white walls, whit linen. There is a cash bar, and a small tv. The bathroom is very small and I noticed small insects on the mirror. The view is bamboo limbs as our room faced the bamboo garden. The air was pumping and the sheets were clean. Breakfast next door is amazing! The hotel offers a very small continental breakfast, but if you want a whole meal, go next door. It's a block away from the beach. The hotel offers two beach towels and two umbrella covered beach chairs per room. They have a stretch golf cart that takes you to their sister property which is down the street and close to Mangos-you have to go to Mangos South Beach!

I will be returning!!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Worst hotel I've stayed at on South Beach...Do not stay here if you need internet. Does not exist here. Third world countries can manage internet buy this hotel cannot. Service for South Beach is terrible. They are doing you a favor, and you will not forget that. Wow...a world traveller and probably the worst service I've come across.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank H2O_log
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

The one good thing with this hotel, is the location. Very close to the beach, where the hotel provides beachchairs for free, shopping, bars and restaurants.
But almost everything else is pretty bad. It is really overprices (314$/night) which is far to much for the low standard. Our room was really dirty(we got black feets by walking across the floor), smelly, damp (towels never get dry) and really dark. We had specifically asked for a top floor room and added 20$ to our reservation, but they still gave us a room downstairs right next to the Maxime bar (just round the corner of the actual bardisk) When we asked about it they told us that there were no top floor rooms available, however we did not have to pay the extra 20$, i don'y know if they thought that was "kind" of them. We made our reservation in april so i find it hard to believe that all of the top floor rooms were booked since then. But what do i know?
The hotel web page also promised that there would be a chilled bottle of vodka waiting in the room when we arrived, there was not. We did not need it but it still should have been there.
I had high expectations of this hotel and but unfortunately the experience was a disappointment.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank LisenGBG
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Good Afternoon LisenGBG,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am very glad that you were content with the location of our property! We are within walking distance to everything. Our staff works very hard to ensure that each room is deep cleaned after every check- out. It is then inspected by one of our housekeeping supervisors just to make sure proper cleaning was done. Then the room is put 'clean' into the system. Did you inform the front desk staff about that? If so, who did you speak with? We do cater to our guests as a first come first serve.
In regards to the chilled bottle of Vodka- you should have gotten that upon arriving to your room.
Can you provide me with the last name under your reservation? I would like to take a further look into who was assisting you at the time of check in, and why there was no bottle in your room.
We hope that you would give us another chance in staying with us again!

I look forward in hearing from you!

Kind Regards,