“The rooms have character”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #86 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“The rooms have character”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

If you like the nightlife this hotel has 2 bars that are open 24/7. Rooms are ok-they have been recently renovated. Thin walls though, can hear voices from other rooms. Bathrooms are very small. Hallways smell musty. Can't tell you a price since I used airline points to purchase it. Only a block or 2 from Lincoln Road mall.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Ace43526
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Hello Ace,

Thanks for posting your feedback for all guests to read! The Catalina actually has 4 bars, for all of your sipping needs. We also offer complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8PM at all of them. Were you able to enjoy and sip on some comp cocktails? If so, what bar were you at? I am sorry that you found the hallways to smell musty. We use odor eliminating products daily in all of our hallways. We are also working on changing the carpets in the hallways.
We are conveniently located smack in the middle of everything. Walking distance if not a 5 minute cab ride away from all of the action! :)

Have a wonderful day!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reading, UK
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I've done my research and read previous reviews of the Catalina so it came as no surprise to me that our room was small. To be honest though, there really isn't any room to swing a cat in the rooms here!

While the Catalina was clean and compact the room was, um, different given that the ceiling was red and the lampshade red and half way down from the ceiling. I felt like I was staying in a bordello!

The beds (Tempur mattresses, I believe) were comfortable. That said, I don't think that house keeping cleans underneath them that well as my Dad found a spare Panasonic remote control hiding but I guess that is because there is no room for housekeeping to maneouvre. Bizarrely there was a portable AC unit by one of the beds that only worked intermittently so I work up drenched in sweat quite regularly. The room (215) was incredibly small and had a limited view of the pool. This combined with the 'redness' of the room made it all seem very claustrophobic.

The bathroom was clean and had a lovely raincloud shower. The Catalina claims to be an environmentally friendly hotel because of it's sheet/towel changing policy but is happy to waste plenty of water as there isn't a plug in the hand basin in the rooms and toilets in the communal areas.

The hotel does Happy Hour betwen 7pm and 8pm with most drinks being free. The bartender is from London and a real character (black lady with fantastic hair, unsure of her name), you can talk for ages with her. That said, the hotel should take some responsibility for the behaviour of their patrons. 1 girl was comatose in the bar area and 1 man who was clearly on something was allowed to carry on acting in a truly odd manner. The same girl was escorted out by her husband then vomited outside, in front of everybody. The Cockney bar tender gave her a sick bag and sluiced the pavement down. Above and beyond the call of duty in my opinion!

Did I like the Catalina? Yes. It is a quirky, boutique style hotel in a good location. The rooms are a bit odd but again, quirky in a good way. The size is too small but tolerable for 1 night with 3 adults sharing 1 room.

I think this is a lively hotel aimed at the 'clubbing' generation. I would definitely stay here again if it was for a short stay. Anything longer I would choose a different hotel. Miami is a great city with a sexy, European vibe and I would love to visit again.

Tip - Ask for a quiet room as the location of some would be very noisy.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room as some rooms WILL experience A LOT of noise.
Good Morning Esmel,

Thank you for being so kind to post your honest feedback for our future guests to read! I am sorry to read that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us! I am sorry that you found your room to be small. The Catalina offers many different size rooms to accommodate each and every guest. Perhaps the room that you chose was not large enough for you. We only use the best mattresses- Tempur Pedic. All of our guests love them and say that they end up spending more time relaxing in the bed then they would of thought. Did you speak with the front desk or the operator to see if it was possible to change you to another room? If so, who did you speak with? The bartender that you are speaking of is Jade- she is amazing!! All of our guests love the drinks she makes and her eccentric energy! When you decide to come back to The Catalina please let me know! I would love to personally handle your reservation!

Have an amazing day!

London, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Recently two of my friends and I stayed at The Catalina South Beach (ages 26-27). We were very disappointed when we arrived in our "On a Budget" room to find that it was nothing like the picture with white and red accents, rather, brown tones, with a musty smell, damp sheets, a dirty bathroom, A/C rumbling loud enough to wake you in your sleep and door keys that would not work.
Fortunately, the staff there, specifically Tyrell were more than accommodating, and were ready to make our experience much more enjoyable. We were upgraded to a business suite, and I will say that these rooms are spacious & clean with nice decor and comfortable beds, located in the Dorset Building.
Be aware that there are three seperate buildings to this hotel located beside each other, the Dorset is located to the right and houses the Sushi restaurant as well as the rooftop pool and we felt that this was the best building to be in, the main hotel houses the lobby, the bar where Happy Hour is located, as well as more rooms, and the third building to the left has Maxine's restuarant in it, as well as the Bamboo pool and inside seating to eat/ drink - this was the building that our first room was located in, so stay clear!
Happy Hour is well worth it, the drinks are very strong, and you walk away feeling as though you were really given something for free, the staff seem to enjoy working there, and are very easy to talk to.

The downfall is the area, if you're looking for the South Beach vibe, you wont find it here, the hotels surrounding The Catalina are rundown, and although they look like they were once being renovated they now look abandoned. There is no colour until nightfall when some of the hotels light up but even then we were left wanting more.

The hotel is in walking distance to shopping on Lincoln road, Walgreens, a Liquor Store so this was nice. You can also walk to Ocean Drive which takes about 20 minutes. Once you get to Ocean Drive you feel like you're finally in Miami, this is where you want to party.

Be aware that The Catalina has club promoters working there, and they will try and get you to pay them so they take you to clubs and give you free drinks, Frank is the best promoter but we didn't always get what we were promised, having to move to a different club the first night because the free drinks we were told we'd get was no longer being offered, and clubs dont get busy till after 1, so when you go out around 11 with the promoters you often walk into dead clubs....

Finally, try and plan your trip for a time other than Hurricane Season, we learned the hard way that September does get a lot of rain, and although it didn't ruin the trip entirely, we didn't quite get the hot sunny beach weather everyday that we had planned for!

Room Tip: Rooms located in the Main Building will be the loudest... Rooms in the Dorset Building seem the ni...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for providing us with your honest feedback! I am sorry to read that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us! I apologize that you were not able to get the room that you originally booked. I am extremely glad that Tyrell was able to assist you in changing your room and got you an upgrade! Each restaurant and bar on property provides complimentary cocktail hour to all guests from 7-8PM. The hotel to our right is an upcoming hotel that is going to be amazing! They are currently working on it and it it not abandoned. We have the Claremont to our left and they just finished renovating the interior of that hotel. They really improved it and made it really cute. The outside is not landscaped which makes it look not as cute. A lot of our guests that stay here love our location. We are in the middle of everything! Unfortunately, September is rainy season here in South Florida. We hope that you would give The Catalina another chance! IF you ever come to South Beach again please let me know, I would love to handle your reservation!

Have a great evening!

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We spent a few nights at the Catalina last week. Staff was very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed the happy hour and the restaurant. The location is very good. Room was very clean. The only one disadvantage was - if you want to go to the pool, you have to go to another building.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lijana535
Good Afternoon Lijana,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback for all of our future guests to read! I am extremely happy that you had a great time while staying with us! Glad that you enjoyed happy hour and the restaurant. Which bar did you sip sip at?
We hope to have you back to stay with us again sometime soon!

Have a great night!

mdjammer
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Catalina a Wednesday night prior to a cruise. It's in a great location - near the beach, nightlife, etc. We didn't know what to expect after seeing their Reality Show. It ended up being better than we expected, especially for the price we paid. Our El Grande room was in the building to the left of the main one. It was a large and comfortable room. The room and the hotel have a funky vibe to the decorating which didn't bother us. The lobby and hallways could use a little sprucing up. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Good place for a pre or post cruise stay or for a partying crowd.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for posting your feedback! I am glad that you were able to stay with us prior to your cruise! Where did you cruise too? I am glad that you liked the decor! Our staff tries there best to make each and every guest feel as if they were at home! I hope that you come to stay with us again, for longer time! :D Hope you had an amazing time on your cruise! If you ever decide to come back to The Catalina, please let me know and I will make it extra special! :)

Have a great evening!

Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 24, 2012

On 8/31/12 I had the pleasure of spending the night at The Catalina. This was my 3rd or 4th saty there. I love this place! It is reasonably priced, centrally located, has a great vibe and friendly staff. The Catalina is always my 1st choice of where to stay in South Beach. I live in Delray Beach, so I am somewhat local. I love coming to The Catalina for a mini vacation! The rooms are clean, tatstefully decorated and it is just so fun there! I always bring a friend to stay with me and they are always so impressed with the Catalina. The Catalina is a gem amongst the over-priced South Beach hotels! Already planning my next trip!
Rachael G Delray Beach, FL

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Rachael,

Thank you for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am so glad to read that you are a returning guest! :D We are located in the middle of almost everything- if not a 5 minute cab ride. A lot of our guests that book here love our location. We hope that you come again for your 5th time! Please let me know when you do and I will make it extra special! :)

Have a great day!

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Just spent a girls weekend at the Catalina. The hotel had great amenities - happy hour, beach chairs, pool. It was also in a great location - close to lots of restaurants, shopping, and bars. I was surprised that the hotel needed some basic maintenance - super sloppy paint jobs, broken tiles, really old carpet. One of the beds in our room was broken and there were ants in our room. Overall, it was fine (and fun) for our girls weekend or would be fun for a couples getaway. I would not recommend for families.

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for leaving your feedback for all of our guests to read! I am glad that you enjoyed the amenities that we offer here at the hotel! All of our guests love the complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8PM. Which pool did you like the most? The bamboo pool or the rooftop pool? We are in the middle of renovating. We are choosing the carpet so that we can change it soon. Would you be so kind to provide me with your room number? I would like to inform our maintenance department of the bed that you mentioned to be broken, so they can repair it- if it hasn't been done already. I am glad that you girls has a fun weekend regardless of the small issues that you encountered. We hope to see you girls again for another girly weekend!

Have a wonderful day!