“Cocktails and sunshine at the Catalina”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #91 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed January 14, 2008

If ur young,free and single then the Catalina is perfect. Nice white rooms, lovely pool, free cocktail hr at the bar every night. The bar staff are good fun and very helpful. Nice hangover food available by the pool. However there is loud music played constantly - DJ in the bar til 3am and the radio is played by the pool all day from 9am, so if ur after a quiet holiday this is NOT the place for you. Great location too.

Stayed: January 2008

Reviewed January 13, 2008

We were travelling with a group of 13 persons. That caused some troubles with checking in. After one hour we still did not had our rooms. The rooms were pretty clean. But there was some bodyhair on the ground 8-) Some toilets were not working.

The hotel is close to the beach and in the surroundings of some good restaurants. The bar is great and they have good music. There is also a nice pool.

I would recommend it to my friends over here in Holland.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 2, 2008

3 Double Standard Rooms

The Catalina is actually 3 properties side by side. We stayed and the main one (centre)

We booked through Hotwire ($79 over Xmas!) and I was really worried when I then read the reviews on TripAdvisor. Especially since I was taking my In-Laws with us.

Yes, it is very loud at night on weekends (and sometimes during the week) if you are near the lobby (our room was the CLOSEST one to the lobby - we had brought earplugs - no problem)

No, there were no bedbugs in any of the three rooms we had as a group. (I have a feeling people mistakenly think that sand flea bites are bedbug bites) Rooms were quite clean and modern. Bathrooms are small and ok, but not gross or anything. There is no door on the shower.

It is a hotel for young people, but I thought the service was fine and the pool was nice (ground floor - didn't see the rooftop one next door)

Valet was a bit slow and $26. Also they chaged an additional $15/night fee for Hotwire which I was a bit pissed about.

6/10 overall
9/10 for value

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank eric_yld
Reviewed December 19, 2007

I wish I had read these reviews before I booked my night at the Catilina. The hallway was creepy and dirty. The room was small and shocking white and red. When I was awakened for the third time by crashing and banging above me, I finally called the front desk. I was told, "yeah they're probably moving some furniture or something and they should be done in 30-45 minutes." That was at 1:00 am. No kidding. This hotel is a very expensive place to park your luggage while you spend time (and sleep) somewhere else.

Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank HolyMoleyBatman
Reviewed December 11, 2007

I dont even know where to begin. I guess I could start with my arrival at this subpar motel. We arrived a little early so we had to wait until our check in time. The motel staff was unfriendly to say the least. We asked if they could store our bags for us so we could go out and enjoy our time in Miami. They took our bags for us assuring us they would be safe and put into storage. When we returned all our bags were sitting in the main lobby of the motel for anybody to go through or take. So dont ask them to keep your bags.
The airport shuttle isnt very frequent. If you need a shuttle make sure you read the fine print before booking to make sure the shuttle comes at the time you need it.
Lastly, the front desk staff was rude and unprofessional. I am a frequent traveler and never have I been treated so rude or unprofessional. Then if you take it up with management they have a dont care attitude so its a no win situtation. If you tell them how unprofessional they are, they threaten to call the police and have you kicked out.
Stay anywhere but here even if it cost you a little more money. Its not worth it!!!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mac2481
Reviewed December 9, 2007

I had high hopes for the Catalina....but they were dashed from the moment the driver of their shuttle bus picked me up at the airport. He seemed almost reluctant to pick up my bag and place it in the cargo compartment of the shuttle vehicle -- what, am I supposed to bus my own bag? Also, shuttle service is not very frequent, so be sure to plan ahead, or you'll be waiting for a lot longer than you want to!

When I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted by a front desk clerk with loads of attitude -- he seemed put out that I was checking into the hotel -- barely made eye contact, never smiled, and answered my questions with short, choppy -- yep, attitude-ridden- responses. A total jerk.

After I got off the elevator on the second floor, I was greeted with a vision straight out of a David Lynch film -- dingy, dard, RED hallways that smelled totally rank. Nasty! Scary! What is this, a bordello?

The room was minimal and pure white -- just like the pictures -- but the way the room was decorated seemed to be a cosmetic remedy to some serious structural problems lurking beneath. No closet, and the shower stall was ill-designed as well. Water got everywhere.

Finally, shortly after checking out the next day, I realized that I had left my toiletry bag at the hotel. I called TWICE to ask if housekeeping had found it, and was told both times that it hadn't been found in the room. Complete lie!! And, they didn't even offer to take down a number where I could be reached in case it was found.

In a nutshell, there are FAR better hotels to stay in while in South Beach -- if you're young and don't give a crap where you sleep, and also don't mind bad karaoke songs blaring into your room late into the night, this is the place for you. If not, stay away!!!

Stayed: December 2007
3  Thank kaytiej
Reviewed December 5, 2007

Worst hotel experience I can ever remember! Poor room service, morons at the front desk, screwed up reservations, broken elevator, cold showers, no internet service, loud obnoxious college student drunks fighting in the hallways, horrible valet, broken room keys, small rooms, etc. all await you at the Crap-alina...

I will echo the sentiment of another review and say that the location is good. The Delano and other nice lounges are very close. That's where it ends. Stay somewhere else and get a cab to the Delano if you must. This place was on par with a community college dorm room.

To start there is no driveway to pull into to valet your car therefore you have to dodge traffic in the street to get out of the car and find someone to come and get your car for valet. Once at the front desk you may as well be talking to a brick wall. The hotel screwed up our reservations. We had booked 4 nights and they gave us three (this would turn out to be a blessing). The kid (and I mean kid) at the front desk assured us he had booked us for the 4th night but that we would have to switch rooms.

As we went to our room we had to endure the slowest and most cramped elevator I have ever seen. Then we had to put on our night vision goggles to find our way down the hallway to our room. They must keep the hallways dark so you don't realize what a pit this place is. After we found our room we entered to find ourselves staying in a closet. The two positives were the plasma TV on the wall and the pillows. The toilet is right out of a prison movie. The shower had no water pressure and intermittent hot water.

Our first night we enjoyed dinner and drinks at the Delano and then came back to the room around 1:30. At about 3 we were awoken by a raging fight outside our room by a bunch of drunk college kids. We called the front desk to send up security but they never came.

We awoke the next day to find that the elevator was broken. It would never be repaired. For the rest of our stay we would have to walk up and down the stairs. I needed to prepare for some business by using the internet. Despite trying for an hour I couldn't get access nor explain to the morons at the front desk what needed to be done to fix the problem. I found a Starbucks down the street with wifi. At the end of the day we decided to try the pool. The roofdeck pool was saturated with loud music and drunk kids. We tried the other pool with more success but yet more of the same too.

On several occasions both my girlfriend and I couldn't get our keys to work in the door and had to keep walking down the stairs to the other building to get the front desk to give us new keys. After our first day there the maid had yet to clean the room nevermind give us new towels, soap or shampoo. When we called the front desk only empty promises were made. Thankfully the maid left the door to the supply room open. We had to help ourselves.

The second night we were awoken to yet another fight in the middle of the night in the hallway. Again the front desk failed to send security. When we awoke the next morning there were holes in the wall where the kids had punched holes.

By the third day we were miserable there. We called the front desk to see what new cellblock they were sending us to. The kid had not booked a room for us for the 4th night when we arrived as he said he did. Of course he wasn't working either. They told us they had no more rooms and couldn't do anything for us. We had enough and stayed at the South Beach Marriott down the street. I would highly recommend you skip the Crap-alina and stay at the Marriott for not that much more money. It's a world of difference. The Crap-alina is cellblock D.

• Stayed: December 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank soxfaninny