Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Hotel Croydon(Miami Beach)
$261
$198
  • Pool
Gale South Beach(Miami Beach)
$229
  • Restaurant
The Hotel of South Beach(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
$229
$195
Official Hotel
$189
$279
$296
  • Beachfront
The Miami Beach EDITION(Miami Beach)
$499
EDITION
  • Pool
The Standard, Miami(Miami Beach)
$289
$292
$272
Travelocity
4,941 results
All reviewsrooftop poolhappy hourmaxine buildingkung fusouth beachfree drinkssushi restaurantfree shuttlefree beach chairsbachelorette partylincoln roadocean driveart decodorsetmaxinesbartendermiami
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 8, 2007

If what you're looking for in a hotel is a nightclub with beds, this place might be perfect for you. For us, it was very disappointing. The room was clean but small, especially the bathroom. But the worst part was the atmosphere. People smoking pot in the hallway, loud music blaring at all hours, people talking full volume in hallways, etc. Service was lacking. We stood at the front desk to check in for 15 minutes and neither clerk acknowledged us. Yes, they were on the phone, but they could have at least offered us an "be right with you" to acknowledge our arrival. The bellboy took us through two buildings out of three before finding the right building and our room. The valet's, despite an hour warning, still made us wait 30 minutes out front for our car and when it arrived, they grabbed for the tip money before even getting out. The restaurant was overpriced with obnoxious, booming music. This was not a place for rest and relaxation, and definately not for honeymooners like us or for families. Younger, wilder crowd looking to act like fools will love it.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EfoYao
Reviewed October 4, 2007

This place is a such a joke, but I actually really liked it.

Was down in South Beach with three buddies, had originally planned to just grab a few drinks with them and than head back up to Boca to crash at my parent's place, but about 15 drinks and 8 hours later, we were in no shape to drive back and needed a cheap place to crash. First tried the Ritz Plaza across the street. I had stayed there before and knew the place to be a cheap dump, so figured it would be no problem. Ended up getting into a fight with the front desk agent and got thrown out of the lobby, so that wasn't going to work.

Had heard about the Catalina and it looked pretty cool, so gave it a shot. All I can say is the highlight of the stay was watching this particular front desk agent check my buddy and I into a room at 4 in the morning. What a debacle. Hillarious, but a debacle. I hope I can do this justice...

So we walk in and ask for a room. The clerk, some spanish guy, was asleep slumped over his chair, but when we woke him up, he got up startled, and clearly embassared, tried his best to act professional. I think his main job is like the night accountant and he may never have been trained to deal with guests directly, but oh, did he give it a shot.

Rising from his slumber, he jumped up, straightened his tie, tucked his tee shirt into his dress pants, and bent down to his shoes to pull up his socks. random. than with the biggest contrived smile ever, welcomed us to the hotel and set about using the computer to check us in. Took about 20 minutes and as he passed papers back to us to sign and made keys and type on the keyboard, my friend and i couldn't help but notice this guy's hilarrious movements. They were all very like deliberate, but totally clumsy. Like when making the key, he flew his hand and the key into the machine, pulled it out with a big flourish and than waving it over his shoulder, formally presented it on the desk, in a very celebratory hand-waving fashion. we were totally cracking up.

Next, he sent us to a room in the bldg next door, but our key didnt work and the door was locked, so we came back to the front desk. He was further embarrased by this fact and after another 10 mins on the computer, looked confused, he called the room directly (at now 430 in the morning) and said "what is your last name, what room is this" and than prompty hung up. my friend dave and i were rolling on the floor.

eventually he got us settled into a nice room in the main building and everything worked out from there. room is very cool looking, all white, comfy beds, view of the wall of the bldg next door though. awoke early the next morning and after a 15 min line for check out, we peaced. clientelle looked young and eurotrash.

highly recomend, cant wait to go back!

Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank gahlisary
Reviewed September 28, 2007

I was really disappointed with the Catalina, after looking on the website I was hoping that this hotel would accomodate the start of a much needed holiday. We checked in, the staff are so miserable! Our 1st room the electrics werent working, after that we were offered another room which had no A/C or fan we were then moved to another room all in all taking 2 hours!

Our final room had A/C that only worked for 2 hours a day we had to request that our rooms were cleaned at least twice a day, the 'free drinks' at happy hour were so watered down they may as well have been soft drinks and the staff act as if they're paying you to stay there!

To top it all off you could probably stay at their sister hotel the Whitelaw for half the price!

This hotel pretends to be something its not and has the cheek to charge you for it!!

I would definately not recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Anya00
Reviewed September 28, 2007

Stayed Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights.
Thursday morning asked for the glass table in the room to be repaied as it was in a dangerous condition. Friday repeated request. Not fixed by time we left.

You book in in one building but are put up in one next door. The halways there are red, smelly and badly lit.

The room was clean but the standard of wokmanship was below my standard and I am only an average DIY person. Two windows were cracked an there was black mould in the shower with the silvering pealing off the mirrors.

The one day we went to the pool the shallow end was crowded with teenagers mouthing obscenities and being totally rowdy. Mothers were taking their small children to the deep end out of the way.

Our experience did not start well when the courtesy bus was 20 minutes late and then failed to stop. We ended up taking a taxi.

The "coup de gras" came when I went to pay. Despite showing them an internet invoice showing the breakdown and final figure they insisted it was incorrect and wanted a further $55.00. I asked to see the manager who appeared after 30 minutes. He would not budge and after two minutes said"I have better things to do than stand here with you" and left. I ended up paying as we had a ship to catch and did not have time to call the police.

On returning home, besides the original amount the had debited my credit car with a further amount of $32.10 without permisssion. When I queeried it it was deleted infering that thew eror was my fault.

I then wrote to "Mr Miami Beach" who contacted the COE of the group ging him 10 days to reply to my complaint. He didn't. "Mr Miami Beech" then lost interested despite me emailing him.

Then yesterday, out of the blue, the $55.00 was credited to my credit card account.

The room was clean and served it's purpose. The area was great but their customer care was appalling.

We would certainly go back to South Beech as our memories were good - but not to this hotel. Their attitude spoilt the begining of a great holiday

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank Geofb
Reviewed September 27, 2007

If your looking to party, have a great time and get excellent treatment, stay at this hotel. From the time I walked in till the time I walked out, I had a blast. The people at this hotel treat you with royalty and the beds in the rooms are amazing and the room is extra clean. They have a free happy hour that starts at 7 and its top shelf liquor. If your looking for a quiet hotel this isn't the one but if your looking to party, know where the hot spots are and be in a great location then this is the one. I had friends staying at the Ritz down the street and they came to my hotel every night for the food and the atmosphere. You can't go wrong with this place.

Pros: Location, Crowd, Happy Hour, Service, Beds,

Cons: Rooms are a little small but who stays in there room in South Beach!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank damill23