“The Catalina Hotel Rocks”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #89 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed September 26, 2007

We only stayed at the hotel for one night and half a day, but the one night was great. We went there and they told us we could either park with the hotel or gave us the option to walk a couple of blocks and pay a lot cheaper. It was very nice that we gave us the option. Walking in the the lobby was amazing, vibrant colors and a lot of foliage. We were given 2 beach towels and chairs to use at the beach which was nice. After the beach, we got to come by and sit by the pool. The pool was fantastic with the cabanas.
The room was a good size, and great colors, all white except for the bright red lamp shade which was neat.
Not to mention the free cocktail hour from 7-8. was fantastic. I would recommend this hotel!!! I just wish i was there for longer...

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (4,785)

Reviewed September 19, 2007

I made a reservation with a travel agency in Brazil. It was confirmed wit breakfest included. When i arrive we got some surprises. The parking is very tiny, and charged. I have to leave the car on a public parking 5 blocks away. The checkin is on a building, and our rom was in another building. This is ridiculous, i have to walk on the street with my lugagge. The rom was small, but clean. Also the bath.

• Stayed: January 2003, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2007

Arrived at the hotel to book in, loud music pumping out in the reception/bar area, making it difficult to hear the staff while checking in. Had to wait around 10 minutes to check in as it was busy with only two staff behind the desk ( although there were around another 5 staff in the lobby/bar area ).
Found staff rude and not very helpful at all.
Our room was in the hotel next door (Catalina owns three hotels in a row) this was formally the Maxine Hotel. Room was ok, all white, spacious although no space to hang ANY clothes as the cupboard had been converted into a mini bar/ ironing board storage area!! But was clean and serviced well. Downstairs there is a bar/restauraut with access to the outside pool area. Again some, not all staff rude, with poor levels of customer service. The worst thing is the music pumping out the speakers from early morning to late at night. I couldn't even listen to my ipod while outside sunbathing due to the fact the music coming from the poolside speaker was to loud! Mainly R and B and dance music....I like Kanye West but not all day.
The hotel is aimmed at young people(18-30) but doesn't say this anywhere on their website. I saw a lot of older customers book into the hotel with a look of shock and dissapointment on their faces.
Overall I would stay at Catalina if : your under 30 and like the vibrate music type scene.
-as a group of friends out for a good weekend/week and like to party.
If you want service and a peaceful stay...........go elsewhere!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank miami_viceEngland
Reviewed September 13, 2007

We booked a room at the Chelsea Hotel and when we arrived they were overbooked so we were "upgraded" to the Catalina.
It was one of the WORST hotels ever. The rooms were furnished horribly with an eerie red light, the floors creaked, the bathroom was tiny and unclean. The AC didn't work, the red shag hallway carpet was stained, and the service was not so good.
It was to the point that we hated going back to the room - no matter how tired we were.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank KalaniM
Reviewed August 27, 2007

Months ago, I made my reservation and was looking forward to my stay this August. I arrived late at night at the hotel after a delayed flight. Upon check-in, as I waited and waited and waited to check-in, I had time to note the prominent list of rules "you will pay this, you will pay that" posted above the desk and thought, "uh oh not the most customer service: oriented environment." While waiting, I also noticed that the lobby felt like a youth hostel in Europe -- one of the cheaper, grungier ones. I also had a chance to listen as one of the workers complained about another guest asking for a new duvet to replace one that had something wrong with it. I should have left then!

Finally got my room key and the trek to my room (which was in another building). Spent some time looking at the closet -- it was organized in such a way that there was no way to put anything in it -- there was a shelf with a safe directly under the hanging rod. I also spent some time trying to get the room brighter -- surprising how dark and grungy a room can look even with all white walls and white floor if it doesn't have enough light. Finally, I pulled back the duvet and smack dab there I saw a bedbug. I immediately called the lobby to report the infestation and the man said, that was fine, you can check out. While I was getting all my luggage back together, another very unpleasant individual called back and said I couldn't check out and would be charged for my non-stay in the hotel. I insisted that I would check out: I would never stay at a place with bedbugs; I do not want to have my house infested when I return from my break.

I dropped the key off at the front desk and told them again that I was leaving and I would /will dispute any charge with my credit card company.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank SavvyTravellette
Reviewed August 23, 2007

Trendy hotel that is fine for a night or 2. Had a superior dbl room and still had a tiny bathroom. Beds comfortable, room clean, pool crowded. Beach proximity good and free chairs great. Happy hour good. Halls way too dark. Would suggest this hotel for short stays only. Asked for a quiet room and got one. Noise not a problem.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank tennisgalDallas
Reviewed August 21, 2007

Very dirty. Filthy.
Air condition did not work in the standard room, and it was miserable.
Reserved a deluxe room, but was unavailable at the time of check-in.
Terrible management.
Would never recommend this place.

Also, one of our prepaid rooms was not available, despite a prepayment. Still fighting to get the full amount credited back to my credit card.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends