“Nice-but noisy walls!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Southwest Florida
“Nice-but noisy walls!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2010

We were booked for two nights at the Courtyard Miami Beach. It was of course an Art Deco redo, nicely appointed, but the strong scent of fruity air freshner hit you as entered the lobby. I know it's an old building, so I guess they have to overscent it to avoid a musty odor.
The room was small but well decorated, the balcony with glass railings and the slider were sparkly clean- until my toddler granddaughter visited and put tiny handprints all over- I still feel a bit guilty over that. The mirrored closet door and the heavy bathroom door clunked each other constantly, kepy waiting for the tinkling of shattered mirror!
My husband has a bad back, so we always bring an air mattress and pump in case he can't tolerate the bed. As it usually goes with him, he needed the air mattress. ( I loved the bed -so I had a king to myself!) BUT, our pump wouldn't work! The staff went all out to accomodate him. They didn't have an air pump,but they brought up a fancy-looking rollaway in 5 min. As it turns out, he had to take the roll-away mattress and put that on the floor and he slept fine...until....
At 5:45am on a Saturday we started hearing small elephants prancing around! The noise came from above , sometimes seemed from the sides or the hall, couldn't figure out where the random knocking was come from. The room seemed to shake a bit! Figured someone's kids were excited about going to the beach and were up early racing up and down the halls above. i guess it is hard to soundproof an older building. We diidn't stay the second night. My point is- remember this if you are booking Spring Break season!
Otherwise this is a beautiful hotel with very helpful staff. The valet and porters were fast!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Nurse3811

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

If location/night life/restaurant choices matter to you... SKIP THIS PLACE. If you are looking for quiet, oceanfront place to relax, this is perfectly fine. If you don't mind walking, taking cabs or the bus to the local scenes/clubs, then you won't mind this place.

FIRST IMPRESSION:
If you arrive after Happy Hour (any time after 8 pm), there will be no bellhop. Sure, there are hotel employees who will watch your cab pull up. They will watch you take out your bags, and yes, even watch you drag the hotel "cart" (atop which you yourself store your own luggage)... then, when you attempt to push the cart into the hotel (NO RAMP, by the way, good luck if you are a person in a wheelchair!), AND ONLY THEN, a magical hotel staff appears and tells you "only hotel personnel can use the cart. Don't worry -- we'll bring it up to your room." No way. My husband spent a better part of 10 minutes unloading and loading the cart of our luggage, and our (toddler) son's car seat, luggage, stroller, etc. There is no way we're going to tip you for wheeling the already loaded cart into an elevator and in our room. Don't insult us!

We were promptly ignored for at least a good 3-5 minutes while I waited patiently in line at the reception desk. There were 3 or 4 people "working" (I use that term loosely, as they were standing around, chatting). At least, when I was finally addressed, the lady (Johanna) was very nice and professional.

BREAKFAST:
This is the only meal that is served in the hotel. It is actually pretty good! If you are not into a big breakfast, it may not be for you. It is $35 for 2 people, including gratuity (MORE TO FOLLOW). Luckily for us, as I am a Marriott Rewards Member, it was included in our rate. So it was a good deal. Our son (<2 yrs) obviously ate for free (how much could he eat, really?). Nothing changed as far as menu, so by the 4th morning, we were kind of tired of it. But it was our last day anyway. They have a waffle station (always a line -- you'd think they could get TWO waffle makers maybe?) which had a fixings area too. There was a plethora of cold cereals (no cheerios though -- how strange!!), and 3 different types of milk, plus chocolate milk, and 2 types of yogurt (Both Danon: activia & light/fit). There was a made-to-order omlette station (hubby did this, I never did). There was a bread/pastry section: bagels, white/wheat bread, rolls, mini-pastries, mini-muffins, donuts... Also, a buffet station of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, corned beef hash, and potatoes (sort of like home fries, I guess). A waiter brings you a carafe of coffee and takes your juice order. Which was nice if it's included as part of your hotel rate. Tipping on top of that is PURELY OPTIONAL. Don't feel pressured to do it!

BOARDWALK:
Very nice. Relatively safe during the sunlight hours (daytime). There are rest points along the way and trash cans. Very well kept.

OCEAN:
Accessible via the boardwalk. Maybe another 1-2 minute stroll, if that, beyond the hotel pool.

POOL:
Very clean, but very small. If you have a child/toddler/teenager, this is perfectly fine. If you are there with your significant other (no kids) in the mood for romance... um, this is not the scene for you I’m afraid. The pool staff, particularly Norberto (??), work very hard to please you. Sometimes around lunch time, the staff bring out popsicles for the guests (right, NOT JUST for the kids!). It was relaxing, despite the splashing and the giggling from the kids playing around.

WALGREENS:
Very short (5 minute?) walk from the hotel. I think it’s 3 or 4 short blocks. Very do-able. One afternoon around 2 pm, there was a crack? addict slumped on the sidewalk 5 feet from the entrance. That was a little un-nerving when you have a baby in a stroller. The next day, I ventured out in the middle of the heat (late morning): no addict. Maybe it only happens when the weather is cooler? It was scary and a little bizarre.

CARABBAS:
The restaurant located within the hotel. Great to go to, esp on a rainy day! They are very child-friendly. Service was quite attentive (but not annoyingly so). Basic staple un-imaginative (but hearty) Italian fare. Perfectly edible. Nothing to write home about but you won’t get sick.
CARABBAS GRILL (between the pool and the ocean) was always busy at lunch. Here’s a tip: Order the children’s menu – the kids burger is THE SAME SIZE as the adult one! Had I known, I think hubby & I would have ordered 1 adult and 1 child (I couldv’e easily split the kids’ with our 20-month-old)... instead, we shelled out over $30 for just 3 burgers (b/c of the surcharge – see below), and no drinks...

PRIMOS ITALIAN:
Directly across the street. VERY REASONABLE prices! They have souvenirs, wine/alcohol, sandwiches/salads made to order, pantry items (milk, bread, etc)...

FOUNTAINEBLEAU:
Worth the price! It was a short walk for us (10 minutes?). You cannot access it from the boardwalk (unless you are a guest at their hotel). Very glitzy, glam, with a fast, exciting pulse. It was loud/noisy inside, but we requested to be outdoors, overlooking the pool & ocean. We got lucky to dine on a day that wasn’t particularly hot or humid, and it was heavenly! Again, very child-friendly AND ATTENTIVE: a pleasant surprise! There was a kids’ menu – our little one had the $12 spaghetti... OMG, very tasty noodles! He slurped, and we enjoyed our meal as well. We ordered a price fixe (restaurant week-type special) and were never pressured into ordering wine or extras. The service was very kind and though quite attentive, barely noticeable. It was a perfect magical evening!

MANDATORY GRATUITY:
THIS is, hands down, the biggest turn-off to Miami. Sure, it’s not so bad when you eat at a restaurant... but our complaint is when you get take out from Carrabas (to bring back to the room), BAM! You’re going to get smacked with the surcharge. Un-real. Otherwise, I guess it’s fine.

CAB RIDES:
It is mandatory for children under age 5 to be in a car seat (I looked it up). It was, admittedly, a pain in the butt to carry it with us everywhere. So we didn’t. Oh boy! We got MAJOR ATTITUDE from a couple of cabbies. Just so you know.

BUS:
From what we could tell, very easy to get (across the street), but we were traveling with a toddler, so that was not going to happen. And with the attitude we got from cabbies, I didn’t want to venture with the bus drivers and experience ALL THAT.

In short, we didn’t really care for our Miami trip. WHY? We don’t club. We don’t drink (much). It wasn't a wedding vacation. We weren't there for a bachelor(ette) party or a boys/girls weekend out. We travel with our young toddler. As far as a beach-type vacation, Miami (and the property) was nice and relaxing. Overall, we were very pleased with the location EXCEPT for the food choices (we get bored easily). We only stayed 4.5 days and 4 nights. I think we could have cut the trip shorter by 1 day. All in all, this hotel was mostly worth it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank KangarooNYC
Forest Hills, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

We traveled here in February 2010 to get away from the cold in NYC. Miami is absolutely gorgeous so we were not dissapointed. The Courtyard Oceanfront is located within a historic hotel, and the view from the room overlooking the Atlanic was AMAZING.

We used the hotel pool, which is small but nice. The beach is also literally STEPS from the hotel. We ate by the pool and also ate at the hotel restaurant (long wait due to a boating conference in town, but we recommend a drink at the bar.) Overall, the experience was a good one and the staff were friendly. We also recommend renting a car to drive around the area - valet parking and though street parking is a little more difficult in South Beach, it beats the walk down. It's also a short cab ride if you prefer - lots of great restaurants and nightlife in the area.

The rooms were very clean. Not the biggest, but well furnished and very comfortable as well. Basically the view makes it all worthwhile and you'll still have a relaxing time in the room.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank katensteve
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

A great Marriott hotel set apart by excellent customer service. From arrival to departure the staff at this hotel were excellent in every way. The tiki-bar attached was good value and the food was good. What set this hotel apart was the managers attention to detail as far as customer service. Emails before arrival asking if we like any information, and quick responses to questions too! I'd have to try hard to think of anything negative, my biggest gripe is free wireless internet but no VOIP allowed. Oh and the "special gift" for Marriott rewards members.... anyone like to guess........a bottle of water (with a pink ribbon!). I can only wonder why they bother I was so stunned I think I just stared at it and said "thanks"!! I'd recommend this hotel if you want somewhere well priced, quiet and not too far from Ocean Drive.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2010

The hotel has the usual Marriott advantages... comfortable beds, great A/C, big breakfast buffet, nice pool and friendly staff. Pool, bellman and desk staff were especially helpful and friendly.

The hotel is about 25 blocks from the heart of South Beach. The blocks are short and it was an okay walk, or better yet, take the bus.

TIP... don't rent a car, take the #150 Express bus from the airport for $2.35 to a block from the hotel. It is an easy walk from the Indian Creek Dr and 40th Street stop to the hotel. Also, the #120 runs up and down the beach for $2 a ride. Check the Miami Dade Metro Bus website for schedules and stops. Service stops about 10:15 PM so we walked some an took a cab back to the hotel after hours.

Restaurant tip... Tropical Beach Cafe, 2891 Collins Ave. Great Cuban food in a no-frills un-fancy store front. Read the rave reviews for breakfast and lunch under Trip Advisor Miami Beach restaurants. We loved it and went there twice.

The beach location is great and the boardwalk, north or south, is a beautiful way to see the beach on one side and the art-deco hotels on the other.

We are glad we stayed at this hotel!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank travel47Seattle
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed in Miami for the first time and we can’t wait to go back. Since we’ve never stayed in Miami before, and had no clue where to stay, we based our hotel choice largely on reviews. First I want to thank all the HONEST reviewers, because it allowed us to have a positive Miami vaca experience. Because there are so many options in Miami, I had to make a wish list on what I wanted out of our hotel stay.

1. Cost effective
2. Oceanfront…direct beach access
3. four star hotel rating (for cleanliness/amenities)
4. location to restaurants/nightlife

I know this is a long review, but I wanted to make sure I covered everything, in the hopes of helping another Miami newbie plan their visit.

PROS:

*We chose a Marriott hotel because we trust their brand, and they did not disappoint. Let me first start by saying this hotel is BEAUTIFUL. This trip was to celebrate my birthday as well as our anniversary and it was a great experience. With that said, I wanted to have serenity BUT close enough to the south beach action, in case we wanted to venture out. The Courtyard offered all of that.

*The rooms were very clean, and the ocean view from our room was picturesque.

*The beds were comfy, clean, and did I mention the ocean view (even while lying in bed) was impeccable.

*The pool area was clean and welcoming as well; you have the option of lying on a hammock and reading a book or relax in the jacuzzi. The beach was just steps away, pass the pool area, up a few stairs, pass the Tiki bar, and ‘WA LA’ the ocean greets you. Staying at this hotel gives you the 4 star resort ambiance, without the expense.

*Pool chairs and umbrellas were complimentary.

*Pool/cabana guy was great, very helpful

*Great location for what we wanted….quiet when we wanted to relax but close enough to noise when we wanted to get loose (however a nice walk to the action of SOBE (down the boardwalk by the beach) or you can take a cab ($6-$7) to 15th street and walk from there…we found all the action to be between 15th and 8th street…make sure to turn down 15th (or whatever number you are on 14th, 10th etc.) to ocean drive and walk up ocean drive…adjacent to Collins ave). …the hotel is 39th/Collins. People watching, with our cocktail of choice, were very pleasing; trust me when I say there is NEVER a dull moment in SOBE.

CONS:

*It was raining when we checked in and our first room was leaking water from the windows (but the hotel immediately switched our room with no problem).

*The staff was “mediocre”, because we both felt they could have done a little better at responding to and answering questions.

*Pool closes at 9pm (which I think is a little early for Miami (you can hang out/lounge in the area after 9pm but no dipping). Since Miami weather is known to be usually inviting I would have loved the pool to stay open at least til midnight.

*You had to pay for chairs ($10 ea), umbrella ($10), and/or cabana ($15) for the beach

*The hotel and most of Miami/SOBE charges 18% gratuity on EVERYTHING..shocking to us (so watch your credit card and/or hotel daily charges closely). There is a $50 per day deposit in addition to your hotel charge, however, you can charge incidentals to your room. We paid cash so we can get our incidental deposit back—well what was left over---but we had to leave a credit card on the room if you wanted to charge incedentals from the hotel restaurant Carrabas….(good food but don’t open til 4pm and the staff was not helpful, we asked to charge our meal to the room and the server said b/c we didn’t have a credit card on the room we couldn’t charge to it, so I had to go to the front desk to add my credit card…this did not make me happy, thus we didn’t eat at Carrabas again after the first night). Also, the hotel café offers a breakfast buffet (until 11:30am on weekends), good but pricey as well….$14.50 per person plus 18% incidental…again only ate there one time, we found more price friendly options and convenience venturing outside to eat.

Great places to eat (you won’t be disappointed):

-Emerils (in hotel Loews on 15th and collins) – price ranges from $28-$50
-Big Pink (on 1st and collins) – price ranges from $10-$20

Overall Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront met/if not exceeded our expectations and we will stay their again. It offers most of the amenities that the upscale SOBE hotels offer (Ritz, Hilton Bentley, Delano, Shore Club, Loews, Gansevoort, Tides, etc.) without burning a hole in your pocket. Remember to trust your instinct in choosing a hotel in Miami and don’t settle, b/c I made several reservations but was not confident until I found the Courtyard Miami Beach…it had everything I wanted….cost effective, oceanfront-direct beach access, 4 star accomodations and hotel rating, location to SOBE; our hotel stay set the precedent in us having a fabulous vacation.

Hope this helps your vaca planning, Miami was awesome, I couldn’t have asked for a better experience and we can’t wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank SuperstarSI
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

Divine hotel a little on the pricey side but well worth the money. The rooms are spacious and comfortable minus the luxury of a fridge or microwave. Front of line staff are polite and always willing to help where as management need to update their personal interaction skills. Half hour walk to to the shops but in the heat my advice is catch the bus :) or you will use all your energy before shopping.

• Stayed June 2010