“Not up to Marriott standard, few places to eat nearby”

Courtyard Cadillac Miami Beach/Oceanfront
Ranked #81 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tampa, Florida
“Not up to Marriott standard, few places to eat nearby”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

We are Marriott gold members so have stayed in ALOT of Marriotts, therefore I feel pretty confident in saying that this one just is not up to scratch ...it simply trades on its location next to the beach.

Firstly, its not accessible - steps up, steps down, steps everywhere you go. Occasionally there are ramps if you look hard enough, often not. Then there is the pop music blasting into the lobby - maybe this is to appear "hip" in Miami, but its not exactly a calming atmosphere when you arrive late at night.

Rooms are TINY - New York sized, barely big enough for the bed + a sideboard for the TV, so don't think about opening out your suitcases because there will be no place for them! It seems like they just wanted to squash in as many people as possible.

We were given one of everything (toiletries, coffee) in a room reserved for 2 people. I phoned down to order more coffee, which we then finished, and the Housekeeping replaced it on our second morning with sachets of Decaff, in addition to not particularly cleaning the room. So I had to call down again (and tip again) for something that should be automatically provided.

These sound like small gripes, but it just got progressively more irritating.

Also be aware that there are few restaurants within walking distance in this corner of Miami Beach - you need to either get in your car or eat at the hotel's in-house restaurants - and if you do bring your car, be prepared to pay $40 a day for valet parking ($32 + taxes, tips etc). All in all, not worth the money for the standard you receive.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank senti2comun
Joseph L, General Manager at Courtyard Cadillac Miami Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear senti2comun,

Thank You for your loyalty to the Marriott Reward program. I truly apologize that we did not meet your expectation. We have a beautiful historic hotel in a great location and hope that we get another chance to host you again. I apologize about your in-room coffee and housekeeping service. I will also share your feedback with our service team as we are located in walking distance to dozens of restaurants and nightclubs. Lastly, I will share feedback with everyone at the property as we always strive to improve our service. We hope to see you again

Best Regards

Joseph LaFleur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights while on business and was able to have some pleasure as well. This hotel is located on northern end of south beach away from all the hustle and bustle, but all that is accessible with a short cab ride. The hotel has a new tower, which I opted not to upgrade to for $65 per day, but available if you want a large new room with nice ocean views. I stayed in the original tower and the room was typical for a courtyard, but had balcony overlooking pool and great view of ocean. There are two pools to pick from if you like, with plenty of space and seating. I prefer the ocean over pool. Beaches were nice and clean and water was beautiful turquoise blue. There is a tiki hit offering half priced drinks for happy hour and great tasting burger, fish tacos, salads etc, and a great sub shop/ convenience/ beer/ wine (limited selection) store (Primo Cafe) directly across the street for something quick that won't bust your wallet. While it's not luxury, it is comfortable and safe and offers a great beach and value. I have stayed here before and will do so again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank EricG123
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

We went back to the Courtyard after our cruise. Again they checked us in early. This time we got to try the new tower. Room was gorgeous. There is currently construction next door which we were warned about but even with that the ocean view was stunning. When the construction is done it will be awesome. One negative no ice orvending in
new tower. Don't understand that but housekeeping offered to get ice for me when I asked where it was located. All in all I would not only go back but I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Ruth H
NH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

My family and I booked this hotel very last minute - as in, the night before we were to arrive. We are a family of 5: my husband and myself and our 3 kiddos, ages 9, 12 and 15.
Check in was a breeze; we booked a room with 2 beds and asked for a roll away bed for our youngest.
We were pleasantly surprised to receive a free upgrade upon check-in! The woman at the desk said that the room we booked would be a bit small, so she upgraded us to a room in the Tower, floor 10.
We walked into the room and we were very pleased. The view was fantastic! We could see the ocean and the beach, the pool and more! The room was spacious and the bathroom was large (especially considering the fact that there are 5 of us, 2 of us being teenage boys!)
The room smelled clean - often times, hotel rooms smell musty or just yucky (that is a technical term) but this room smelled fresh! Just like fresh linens but it wasn't a perfume smell.
The pool was fantastic, the beach was perfect and we really enjoyed our stay. We will definitely return!
My only complaint is the fact that the shower water was lukewarm, it never got hot. Minor inconvenience considering everything else.
We lucked out this time around! We were in a time crunch, so I booked this hotel the night before. Stay here with confidence and enjoy!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank allsunny1234
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

My Vietnam Vet Cousin ce to visit me in Naples and he said "let's go to South Beach. I was never there." So I quickly got on the laptop and searched for the perfect place to stay for two nights. We wanted two rooms. This hotel looked so good online and it is but the room is very small but clean and guess what? No Blow Dryer in the one room...., really???? I couldn't believe it. He had to wIt for his room . First they told him the seventh floor then they gave him a room on the fourth floor . Which was nice . Had a blow dryer and a couch. If you look at the rooms online it looks like all the rooms have a balcony. don't believe it because neither of ours did. Then for the one whole day that we are here all you hear is the BACKHOE next door... Poor guy he was in Construction for 30 years and then we bring him here... Oh boy .. Not so relaxing.. I saw that Joe the manager answered a couple of people on the reviews and he said "call me directly with a ph number that brings you to a recording" I tried to call Joe directly before we made the trip. Joe what's your extension ??
If you don't mind the sound of construction all day it's fine but if you are looking for a relaxing quiet place look elsewhere .,.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank LynnandDee
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is right on the beach, and our room had a lovely balcony that looked out over the ocean. We were escaping from Midwest cold and were delighted with the view--definitely worth paying more for. The beach is very nice, with hard working employees to set up your beach chairs and an umbrella (2 chairs and one umbrella cost $45 for the day). Occasionally a waiter from the waterfront bar/restaurant would appear and take an order for a drink or food. They didn't seem set up to do this quite as often as I would think possible/desirable. There was only one waiter there the day we were there, but easily 100 people on the Courtyard part of the beach.

The concierge was very helpful, providing a recommendation for a local place for a pedicure for my daughter and I. The front desk clerks were friendly for the most part, and guest services (whom we called repeatedly due to numerous small problems with our room) was always cheerful and eager to help.

But this is not a five star experience. While the room was clean, housekeeping was spotty. One day they neglected to leave a bath mat, one day they left dirty glasses in our room, one day they left wet towels on the floor. The air conditioning in our room was broken, and even after being fixed did not adjust the temperature in the room to the level indicated on the thermostat. The only room service is offered by the neighboring Carrabas, which is fine for one meal but not something you want repeatedly. I found it odd that there was no menu in the room. We had to call the restaurant and a Carrabas employee brought us a menu. Then we called in our order and she came back up to bring us our food in take out containers.

Overall, the hotel, pools, beach & personnel were pleasant, and we certainly achieved our goal of a relaxing long weekend away from the cold and snow. But the small issues we experienced mean I'd be more likely to try another hotel next time.

One other note. We did not rent a car and had no problem getting taxis to take us where we wanted to go. With an expensive valet and challenges with Miami Beach traffic and parking, the rental car was not necessary.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Julie_7070
Yuma, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed at this property multiple nights in Feb 2014. Breakfast was a bit disjointed but complete and full buffet was the way to go, sitting poolside an excellent bonus I recommend to all. Rooms are solid, beds comfortable, great nights sleep, and best of all the internet service was top notch. For a business traveler looking for a getaway while working, I can think of no where better. Minutes from south beach, and with its own beach and great pool, I can't say enough. Staff was friendly, parking could be cheaper, self park is simply a horrid option so felt a bit gouged on the valet.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business