“We are sooo going back as soon as I can!”
Review of Hotel Astor

Hotel Astor
Ranked #59 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We stayed at the Astor Hotel, SoBe, 2 days at the end of June. We wanted some relaxation but also some fun. SoBe and the great nightlife offered the fun and the Astor Hotel the relaxation. Check-in was quick and without complications. The first thing we noticed was that the hotel was beautifully decorated but, more importantly, it was impeccably clean. Lobby was beautiful! We were heading to our room in no time. With check in we learned that complimentary continental breakfast was also offered. Nice! BTW, coffee was great. We took the elevator to our 2nd floor room. The elevator is small but totally functional so no worried there. If I had to change something it would be the lighting inside the elevator because it’s a little dark. On the contrary, the hall’s decoration had a bright-sun bathe-beachy feeling. I loved the room!! It was certainly quite spacious. There was a small fridge available- one that we could actually use!! I dislike those places where they fill the small fridge with overpriced peanuts and beer when all you need is a place to keep your water bottle cold during the night. The bed was extremely comfortable. Everything in the room was great and very clean. Like most hotels, basic amenities were readily available. Nevertheless, I will take my blower with me next time we go because the one there is not so great. I loved the room decoration the colors in the room were also in tone with the beachy- relaxation environment. Oh! The bathroom was super clean too and we had plenty of towels. On our first night there we explored the hotel a little. The hotel has one of the most BEAUTIFUL outdoor restaurants of the area. Unfortunately we had other plans so we couldn’t dine there but we’ll do it next time we go. The “gym” is not suited for workout fanatics but we are not like that so we didn’t mind. After a great nap, we headed out to the SoBe nightlife. What can you say about that ??!!! We got back like at 4am but before heading to our room we lounged in the patio in front of the hotel for a little bit. It was simply nice. This hotel has an AWESOME location. It is 2 blocks from Ocean drive. Close enough to walk to the fun and all the shopping and the beach and only far enough from all of it to have a nice relaxed goodnight sleep. Oh well what more to say? Time went by way to quick and it was time to get going. We took a cab to the airport (flat $32 rate) but we learned that the hotel offers complimentary rides to the airport on Tuesdays and Thursday. We are definitely going back as soon as we get a chance and you better believe we are staying at the Astor Hotel.

Reviewed July 2, 2010

The Astor has gone downhill. Used to stay here when the previous owners knew how to run a hotel. The Astor advertises the same service and amenities the previous owners did, however on arrival we were faced with a rude, morose, yawning woman who was disinterested in greeting guests. The décor of the room was tired, thermostat hanging from the wall; gaps under doors where carpet had been replaced with cheap laminate mean that it was nearly possible to see the shoes of other guests as they passed your room. Bathroom light was so dim we had to buy a large mirror to use in the bedroom.

No waffle weave bathrobes as advertised, no shower gel (shampoo, conditioner and body lotion is provided, but for goodness sake, we had to buy shower gel). Empty mini bar. When I asked misery on the desk why certain things weren’t provided she said the hotel was still under renovation! We were still charged the same rate as if everything advertised had been provided.

A hotel of this size should know who is in residence, however each day you have to go to reception to ask for a coupon to have breakfast, which consisted of coffee in polystyrene cups, toast which you have to make yourself , cereal and very mini muffins. It’s all a little like getting food at a homeless shelter.

There was one guy on reception who knew his stuff and was really pleasant and efficient, but the woman, forget it. I saw the expression of surprise at her attitude on the faces of a couple of guests. They looked a bit bemused.

I’m sure there are some rooms at the Astor which provide all the amenities advertised, but I think the hotel is being dishonest in its advertising by saying that all rooms are of the same high standard. I notice that the Astor has not responded to any of the negative reviews posted so far.

Reviewed June 24, 2010

Stayed there with friends for New Year's and I'm still shocked when thinking of it. The location is quite good and I have to say that the price was somewhat okay for NYE. However, there were some drawbacks:

- minimalist style rooms, bathroom door didn't close (didn't fit into the door frame although the hotel was renovated in 2009, so how come?!)
- breakfast area is very nice, but you have to be fast if you want to grab something to eat (more refills!)

This actually wouldn't keep me from recommending the place...but one thing surely does:
The receptionist (1 Jan 2010) was the rudest and most indifferent staff member I've ever met. We had problems with the valet parking located in front of the hotel as it took them more than 1 hour to get our car.
I asked the receptionist for help. He just said that they weren't responsible because it wasn't the hotel's very own valet parking. Well, the fact that they offer their valet parking service when you're checking in kind of implies that there must be some business connection. At least that's how I feel about it.
Anyway, the thing about good customer service is that you should go out of your way in order to help your customers even if you're not directly responsible (The customer is king, right?). And trying to help is what the receptionist didn't even consider.
Fortunately, the lady working for the spa was so kind to help us and spoke to the valet parking staff (I guess Spanish is the key) and so we finally got our car.
As mentioned above, this was the worst customer service I've ever experienced. And it absolutely keeps me from recommending the hotel. It's a shame.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 22, 2010

First of all when we arrived @ 6 p.m.with 2 rooms reserved under 2 different names (we came with friends from Az) Neither room was ready so we had to change our dinner resevation. The manager then gave us tickets for one free drink each, which we could not even use because the bar and rest. had been reserved for a private party. Finally got in one room after an hour so we could change for dinner. After going to the other persons room realized the air not working in either room. Had to change rooms after dinner. Bed covers had stains. Lighting very poor. No night stand at all in one room. Nothing matched. Floors inreally bad shape with fake wood coming up. This place needs a major overhaul. Looks nothing like the pictures. Way overpriced. Continental break fast is a joke.

Reviewed June 22, 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Hotel Astor for 3 nights and had a great stay the place had that nice art deco feel in the lobby and from the exterior, the rooms are clean and modern and great for the price. There is also a fantastic bar and Cuban style restaurant accessible through the hotel that I would recommend for a meal and few drinks! The service was good also, check in was smooth and simple and the concierge provided recommendations on places to eat etc… We came to South Beach last year and stayed on Ocean Drive so were a little concerned that we would feel out of the way being on Washington Drive but it was fine and only a couple of minutes walk to all the action on Ocean Drive. I would recommend this as a great place to stay for a few nights!

Reviewed June 16, 2010

It's so unfortunate that such a beautiful hotel in a great location is run by multiple (not just one bad experience) persons that have no motivation and are extremely incompetent. Here is a brief run down of my stay:
- Lost my reservation
- Never followed up to confirm my reservation once I discovered that they lost it
- Unable to check availability for a room for a friend that wanted to stay there for one night (How is that not possible???!!)
- 5 pm desk person took an order for a taxi and didn't tell the night shift person to make the reservation. I had to get my own taxi reservation
- Unable to give me a receipt upon check-out. Spent 2 hours on the phone days later trying to track one down
- Stained sheets
- Just plain worthless people
- Don't even try to use the fitness center... they souldn't advertise it

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2010

I reserved and paid for six nights at Hotel Astor for friends visiting from Russia. I made the reservation because my friends, a middle-aged couple, neither speak English, nor use credit cards. At check-in in they left a security deposit of $600, or $100 per night. At check-out, they were given back only $430. They were aware $15 (plus tax) would be deducted each day for Wi-Fi, and beach amenities. But the other $75?
The hotel cannot account for it. (The hotel's reservations manager declined to provide an itemized bill.) In short, the person working the desk took advantage of the language gap, and the pressure of a waiting cab to the airport, to pocket $75 for himself.
The Miami police say it is a matter for small claims court. I have reported the hotel to the Better Business Bureau (with whom two other incidents have been reported). Any suggestions for other avenues of recourse?
Overall, my friends were happy with the hotel's location, but not their room, which was run down; light bulbs were missing from fixtures, a spigot on the bathroom leaked, and the toilet ran constantly. If only they spoke English they would have had a decent chance of defending themselves against thieving management.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple