“Beautiful Hidden Gem. But LOUD! LOUD! LOUD!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Astor

Hotel Astor
Ranked #75 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful Hidden Gem. But LOUD! LOUD! LOUD!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I found this hotel on Orbitz by accident because all of the hotels on Ocean Drive were booked. I was surprised at how gorgeous the hotel was. The lobby decor is nice, the lounge is gorgeous, and the rooms were clean and spacious. The staff was friendly and accommodating as well. However, after having to get up at 3am to catch our flight, we turned in early only to learn that the downstairs lounge plays loud techno music until 5am all weekend!!! We complained to the front desk and they apologized and waived our resort fee. But it would've been nice to get a little rest while on vacation. I hope they do construction to work on the noise problem. The walls are so thin that the music rattles the walls (depending on the location of the room). After the first night, we were moved to a higher floor but it didn't make much of a difference. The music still kept us awake. IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A BEAUTIFUL HOTEL WALKING DISTANCE FROM THE BEACH AND DON'T MIND STAYING UP LATE, THIS IS A GREAT PLACE. BUT IF YOU WANT TO GET A GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP, DON'T STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Request to stay on the highest floor to avoid the noise in the lounge!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
LVPGM, General Manager at Hotel Astor, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Tiffany,

Thank you for taking the time in writing your review. It is of course with great disappointment that the noise during your stay was too much for which I can only apologize. I can inform fellow trip advisor users that we are already changing the way we play our music and allocate quite rooms to those people wanting to rest and those people who want party.
We always strive to be perfect knowing that we do make mistakes and your review only allows us to become better.

I am very happy to learn that like many of our customer the look and feel of the hotel exceeded expectations and that you enjoyed the service that you received.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Hotel Astor and do not hesitate to contact me for a good night sleep! In the mean time I am glad that you are home safe in Chicago.

Liza Praman - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The staff is nice, the hotel looks good, the room was OK, but the downstairs discoteque playing very loud music with an insisting bass made sleeping almost impossible. We checked in Thursday and the first two nights the music stopped at midnight, so we decided not to ask for a new room. But we should have, because Saturday night it went on and on and on until 4.30 AM. We tried earplugs, but the bass was so loud that it could be felt through the mattress and pillows. If you plan on partying all night, then this could be a hotel for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor so you are not right on top of the discoteque
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank CBS-DK
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I am a frequent South beach visitor and I have stayed at different places before. I have previously stayed at Astor and because of the service and the cleanliness of this hotel I have decided to bring my family back here before our short cruise. We stayed at Astor before and after our cruise.

I would like to give a shout out to "BURAK EVENS" he was extremely friends, courteous and helpful. We were able to check in at 9:00 AM in the morning which was great because that's unusual with any hotels and I do understand it depends on rooms availability. In addition to let us check in early he have upgraded our rooms as well without us paying a penny extra. I really appreciate his great customer service and the service from the entire staff and it starts with the Bell service staff.

I had a great stay here and will always recommend my friends and family to stay.

Thank you.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Kuei1982
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights in may. The hotel is very clean and very well situated. They even lend you chairs, towels and umbrellas for the beach! The staff were very nice and helpfull! The manager was constantly greating us, asking about our day and making recommandations of areas to see, activities to do which we really appreciated. We did however have a problem with the hotel. On the 1rst 2 nights we were there, the bar or club in the basement of the hotel was playing its music so loud that we felt like we were in the club in our room on the top floor. The room was even trembling because of the vibration ( I am not exagerating ) it went on until 3 or 4 AM. So we barely got any sleep. However the remaining days it quieted down and we had a nice stay. The wifi wasn't great in our room but it was good in my parents room so i guess it depends were you are in the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ms_Amy-A
liverpool uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I have just spent a 2 week vacation at the Astor , my 3rd stay at this hotel , and even tho under new management , my stay didn't disappoint .
I love this Art Deco treasure , perfect location , close enough to everything , yet just set back enough not to feel too touristy .
Rooms are spacious and my king size deluxe room seemed huge with it's corner leather white sofa fitting in well with the Miami vibe .
All the staff are very helpful and polite , thanks in particular to Diandra the bar tender , who looked after me well at cocktail hour , and who may I say is an asset to this hotel . Give that chik a pay rise!!!! I will look forward to staying here on my next Miami visit . Well done guys!!! And thankyou ..

Room Tip: I would stay on the top floor as there is a nightclub attached to the hotel and the music gets loud...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank peter h
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My name is Jacob Bossman, I am a british business owner from London, UK. Quite frankly the astor hotel had too many hidden charges they hit you with right upon arrivial. My cost went from $1676 to $1900. Miguel one of the senior management advised me that I had to put a deposit down of $200 just in case anything in the room gets damaged. Miguel then advised if there were no damages I would get this deposit back, he then gave me a letter of receipt and advised that all I had to do is show this on my departure and I would be refunded my deposit. Come the day of my departure I was told I could not get this back. The receptionist Chris was very helpful and if it was not for him this review would of been much worst. Other than this matter I paid of the supreme deluxe room, on two days my air conditioner was leaking. The lift was out of commission for 5 days of my 13 night stay. When you pay close to $2000 dollars for a room you expect the facilities to be top notch. The wifi in my room was not great either. The manager Miguel was very reserved and had very little if none customer service skills. This a side I would like to highlight that the Receptionist Chris was exceptional at his job and I would love to see him promoted to manager as his customer service was the best I have ever experienced. In addition to him Racquel was amazing always smiling, very friendly and extremely helpful. Racquel always made an effort to engage in conversation and was a pleasure always. Evens the door man was a character and always made me laugh every morning, and the bar staff in particular Deanna was amazing at mixing drinks and was great very entertaining. Unfortunately I will not be staying every again at the hotel astor, but I will pass by at the bar as this section is great and I will revisit the amazing mid level staff. Its a shame... great mid-level staff, but poor management and maintainance.

Jacob Bossman

London,uk

Room Tip: Do not get a room here they will cheat you out of hidden room charges. Get a room at a different hot...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Jacob B
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We came from New Zealand , have been to several hotels in USA before , the Astor is the best !! Everything was perfect , great staff, excellent clean room , lovely bar and lounge area, would truely recommend !

Room Tip: Excellent value, room we had third floor, corner. had lounge , microwave , fridge , safe
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple