“Not quite what I expected.” 2 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Astor to your Saves list
Hotel Astor
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   956 Washington Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #70 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Not quite what I expected.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We arrived, and checked in, only to walk into a DIRTY hotel room. There was a dirty towel and coffee mug in the room, someone had also been laying in the bed. We then moved to another room, which was OK. It definitely wasn't 100% clean. There was no hot water. Only lukewarm, both in the evening and in the morning. We only had one coffee cup in our room. The wifi does not work in the room. We needed the shuttle back to the airport- the gentleman wouldn't take our reservation when we arrived, so we made it the next morning. The staff almost did not take our reservation since it was the same day, the gentleman should have taken it the night before but would not. Each staff member would tell you something different.

The pictures you see online are quite attractive, they show the best parts of the hotel.

It really is the little things that add up to be a subpar experience- no hot water, uncleanliness, no soap in the downstairs bathrooms, unkempt areas of the hotel, things that are half remodeled.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gina M
Lta791, Manager at Hotel Astor, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Gina, I wanted to take the time and thank you for your recent stay and for your review, as surprising as it was to read. The hotel has gone in different faces of renovations and changes in order to improve the quality of service and the amenities . Of course is very difficult to make everybody happy all the time and in your case we do understand that we were not able to meet your expectations . Will same day reservations some time are problems because our shuttle has limited seating and a 24 hour reservation is required. We always try to be neither defensive nor dismissive with the reviews and we always take actions to improve things if there is room for improvement. Please feel free to contact me personally next time you travel because I want to take care personally of you and your stay . Thanks again for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Even though it took us a while to check in, we still had a great stay at the Astor. The Hotel were pretty busy when we arrived there. The General Manager was very apologetic about the delay, (apparently there was some kind of conference going on) he bought us drinks at the bar. It was a nice surprise, it very rare to get that kind of attention from management these days. The staff was friendly and helpful. Overall the hotel is very clean, nice designs / furnitures in the lobby and our room. There are plenty of restaurants around, closed to the beach. It's not too loud for being South Beach. I would definitely come back next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: I heard from the other guests, it's got a really nice suite with a huge balcony
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Boca Raton, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Please do yourself a favor and don’t let yourself guided by the good reviews. We booked through Orbitz and stayed at this hotel on our anniversary. To make a long story short the staff is rude and the manager is non existent at least until you dispute the charges due common sense - NO HOT WATER!! THE TOILET WOULDN’T FLUSH, PARKING CHARGES ARE $32/PER DAY AND WHO KNOWS WHERE THEY TAKE YOUR CAR BECAUSE IT TAKES THEM 25 MINUTES NO EXAGGERATION TO GET YOUR CAR. When we called the reception to report the problems with the water and the toilet were told by Cris that the hotel is old and sometimes they have problems and next time we should pay more and stay in a better hotel. So we called manager who didn’t answer, and never got back to our messages. When we checked out we were told that we can dispute the stay trough Orbitz because they can’t do anything due to the fact that we booked through Orbits. SO NOT TRUE! We found out that Orbitz will refund you only if the manager agrees, and guess what the moment Orbits called them the non existent manager all of the sudden appeared and denied everything, in fact he was so rude to the Orbitz agent, that Orbitz gave us a $50 voucher and apologized in an e-mail.
DON’T STAY HERE, IT’S AN OLD HOTEL AND YOU MIGHT BE AS LUCKY AS WE WERE. THESE PEOPLE NEVER HEARD OF CUSTUMOR SERVICE!!!!!

10 Thank Gabriel T
Lta791, Manager at Hotel Astor, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Guest, The new Astor management has completed the soft renovations. I would like to invite you to experience the changes. Please feel free to contact me anytime because I would like to show you around personally. Thanks again for taking the time to review us.

Kind Regards
Luigi T
gm.astor@hotelastor.com
Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I made a reservation through a third party site via Kayak. A week later I called the hotel to ask about parking and confirm the reservation. The staff member on the phone (Liza) was polite, and informed me that she did not have a record of the reservation. I forwarded the confirmation to her and she said that she would make the reservation. She then told me that there was no availability on the date I had reserved. She said that is why she had no record. She explained that she would contact the manager and inquire if a reservation could be made. She explained that she would have him call me back. I have waited for over two days and not received a phone call or email. I already have a flight booked to Miami. I need a hotel. I expected a phone call or email back the same day so that I can plan my vacation. This is unacceptable. If the hotel did not have availability, then the hotel should have removed from inventory available rooms to sell via third parties. This is not my fault as the guest. Would not recommend booking here. I made a reservation elsewhere. And since it is weeks later, rates have increased since the time of my original booking. Hotel Astor won't even call me back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank fresh524
Lta791, Manager at Hotel Astor, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Guest. The Astor Hotel is under new management since yesterday we will make sure that
the problems will be addressed properly . Please feel free to contact me during your future trips because I want to make sure that I take care personally of you and your stay . I have attached below my contact information for your convenience. Thanks again

Kind Regards
Luigi T
Gm.astor@hotelastor.com
Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The room we stayed in at Hotel Astor was clean and well-maintained. The staff was helpful and accommodating. My husband and I arrived in Miami super early and we were able to check in to our room at 12:00 noon rather than at 4:00 PM. The location is great because you can walk almost everywhere from the hotel to the local nightclubs, bars, beaches, shopping, and dining. The price was right for my husband and I. I read previous reviews about patrons that did not have hot water, and I can assure you we did not run into that problem.
The hotel did not have any fancy amenities like a pool, spa, fitness center etc... but all those extras were not what my husband and I were looking for in a hotel. This is a small boutique hotel with character, charm, and personality. I loved that the people at the front desk were personable and familiar faces throughout our stay. The larger hotels tend to be overcrowded and too corporate for my taste, we happened to visit some friends who were staying at the Fontainebleu and it was cavernous and too overwhelming for me. Major sensory overload and such a scene!
We'll take Hotel Astor over any other big fancy resort in Miami for our stay, we had a blast!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Lovely hotel, walking distance to everything. Save money on cabs, close to the beach. Newly renovated with nice decor.The hotel restaurant has good food and drinks, my friends and i had a great time. Priced just right for a quick and cheap get a way. The staff was friendly and they provided great service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rohro
Huron, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed at the Astor the weekend of the boat show. Great location, comfortable bed & pillow, but we were disappointed with our room. The first room had a noisy air conditioner compressor. We were moved to another room, which we thought was going to be fine, but went to draw a bath and there was only a trickle of hot water and then it quit completely. It took an hour to fill the tub one inch. We tried to call downstairs to notify someone and our phone didn't work. The bedside light was burned out, no bedside clock or alarm. The biggest concern was the hot water from the sink had oily debris dripping from it. That was quite scary since I had just brushed my teeh with the cold water. Also, very noisy hallways. Without carpeting you could hear everyone coming and going at all hours. The best part was the restaurant connected to the hotel, dei Frescobaldi was fantastic. The wines, food and staff were superb. I highly recommend this restaurant. Definitely 5 star. Hopefully the hotel staff will be more conscientious with the hotel upkeep. If it was $99 a night it might be expected, but not for $500 a night.

1 Thank 50MLP