WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel Astor

Hotel Astor
Ranked #68 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Arlington, Virginia
“Will come back for awesome service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I were pleased staying in the hotel. The service was excellent and the staffs are very nice. They provided guidance for us to check local activities. We stayed at the suite room (we are newly weds). First time get-in, it is clean and spacious. We had a great time enjoyed our times. Can't wait to come back when the weather is better. Got a lot of raining in Sept. Thanks for the beautiful hotel, we had good time enjoying our relaxing time inside.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TinaMikee
Lta791, Manager at Hotel Astor, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Guest. we do appreciate your positive feedback and we are happy to hear that you liked the service and the accommodations. We are constantly working hard to improve the quality of the hotel and the service. Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I've stayed in Miami a few times, twice in Miami beach and this is the best Miami hotel I've stayed in outside of the big chains such as Marriott. Was here for at least a week and it's a great location, convenient for most attractions in the South Beach area. It's a short walk to the beach and there are plenty of eating places around. Had simple buffet breakfast here each day. Nothing spectacular but if you just want something to stave off the hunger until lunch then it does the job. Bedroom was clean and fresh and thought the bathroom was great. Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adrian D
Lta791, Manager at Hotel Astor, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Adrian, We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the time at the Astor Hotel. Thanks for this wonderful review looking forward to meet you during your future stay. Best Regards
Aberdare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here for two nights after travelling down from Miami. My son, aged eight years was very impressed with the huge size of the room and bathroom. It was cleaned every day and fresh towels left. Could also have beach chairs and towels if you wanted to go to,the beach which was two blocks away. Excellent location for Ocean Drive and all the clubs and restaurants. The front desk receptionist was very helpful and the maid was very eager to get into the room each morning. Breakfast was offered to us, complimentary,coffee and Danish but we never took it up. Wi fi in the rooms and one computer downstairs in the lobby. The air conditioner was very good and fairly quiet. All,in all good value for money in such an expensive location.(we took advantage of the valet option for the car, as it was less hassle then parking on the street with a meter or in the parking lot.)

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor, as you can hear the people walking in the room above, the only negative!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Starlene M
Lta791, Manager at Hotel Astor, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Starlene, Thanks for taking the time to review the Astor Hotel . We are glad to read your comments on your recent stay at the Astor Hotel . We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and you liked hotel location and service. Best Regards
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed in the Astor during our visit to Miami Beach in July. The hotel seemed small in the website but was very nice. The rooms were spacious and clean. Loved the lobby decor and new Italian restaurant. This is a great hotel to stay and also a great location.

Room Tip: be ready for the beatiful beaches in Miami Beach
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Leonard W
Lta791, Manager at Hotel Astor, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Leonard, We appreciate you taking the time to review the Astor hotel. We are very happy to hear the positive feedback about the restaurant and rooms. Looking forward to see you again during your future trips. Best Regards
Columbus, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

I enjoyed a very pleasant stay at the Astor Hotel. Visitors should expect to park at a nearby parking garage or have your vehicle valeted and there isn't a pool or patio, but the beach is within 2 blocks and the service and accommodations were wonderful. I stayed for business purposes and would recommend this venue to anyone looking for an economical choice without compromising on quality.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Thieser
Lta791, Manager at Hotel Astor, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Thieser. we do appreciate your positive feedback and we are happy to hear that you liked the service and the accommodations. We are constantly working hard to improve the quality of the hotel and the service. Best Regards
New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

I booked my hotel a month in advace and when I arrived at the hotel at 2pm was told that I would have wait until 4. That was ok because it was policy and procedure. At 4 I went to the counter for the agent to explain to me that there was only a King room for a guest of 5 including a child. I was told that there were plumbing issues and that the plumbers were working on it and I told them I was willing to wait, then was told that it wouldn't be until the next day. I explained that it would not work we both were calm during this process and I asked for a refund and was told that only management will be allowed to refund once again I was willing to wait ( I'm very patient), then was told the manager would not be in. So I stepped to the side and called the police because policy states that if I don't check in at a certain time I would be charged fully w/o a refund. The police arrived and also complimented me on how calm I was; by the time they got there the lobby was now filled with guest waiting for a room. This hotel only has 15 rooms and rooms are sold thru expedia, trip advisor, booking, directly with hotel, and other 3rd party cites so its understandable why they are always overbooked. There is a sister hotel across the street that was also overbooked but they assured me that I would have a room there, I went there to find other guest complaining about no water, lights etc. and notice that the same manager I was told was out for that day was across the street. He did not want to give my refund, after the police talked with them I received my refund at 7:15pm. I worked for a independently hotel and I know all about the excuses they come up with to have an excuse, independently hotels sells room like the airlines sells seats. They often overbook with the thought that people wouldn't show up and profit is made. Don't stay here unless its in the middle of the week. I can say so much but my mind is moving faster than my hands.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank OkeefePlazaHotel17
Lta791, Manager at Hotel Astor, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
We sincerely apologize for your experience and we are looking forward to have another chance and show you the real Astor hotel experience. I apologize for the confusion but we did have 2 rooms in hold for you in different hotels same category same room type. There was a overbooking made by a travel agent and we went our way out to correct travel agent mistake and relocate guests and be responsible but unfortunately in situations like this is very difficult to make everyone happy. The manager was 4 hours away in a business meeting but the manager in duty came within 15-20 minutes to refund the stay. I would like to have the chance to speak with you directly about your stay and hope that you will contact me at your convenience.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Pros:

1) 3 blocks from beach
2) Free beach towels and chairs
3) AWESOME air conditioning

Cons:
1) Poor Management - took 2 hours to check in. People (thankfully not us) did not get confirmed and paid for room reservations. No advance notice to these people who called the police because the hotel was not refunding their money on the spot.
2) No security/no one at desk - at 3 AM, drunk guests roaming the halls and knocking on doors
3) Security did not do anything even on confirming the EXTREMELY strong stench of marijuana wafting down the hallway. They knocked on door and the guy opened it and said he would open the windows.
4) No maid service - how is this a hotel ?
5) The faucets in the bathroom were only loosely coupled to the wall - they came off.
6) No pool - but there is a pool fee - to use the pool at a sister hotel which is terrible

All in all, if you are single or if your expectations are very low - then stay here. Else do not.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelBeforeKids
Lta791, Manager at Hotel Astor, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking a moment to share your feedback after your recent stay. We apologize about the long wait at the check in but sometimes there are situations and errors made by booking agents and not always is the hotel fault. We do have a full maid service and a turn down service until 11Pm. I would like the opportunity to speak with you directly in regards to the issues that you experienced during your stay with us, as we would like to have you back again during your future trips. Feel free to contact us during your future stay in South Beach

Regards