“Well, it is South Beach” 3 of 5 stars

Clifton Hotel South Beach
Ranked #166 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Turkey
“Well, it is South Beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Compared to the swanky hotels in South Beach, this is a budget option. Should have paid more as my wife gave me hell for a month after. You get what you pay for! The location is good and a multistorey carpark nearby means you do not have to pay for valet parking. The room was clean; a bit small but adequate. Reception guys were good, the girl surly. Breakfast, in the lobby, a joke; we tried it once then eat out. This is not a bad place, just not very good. And not worth the $145 per night I paid. Don't bother with the Miami bus tours, expensive waste of half-a-day, as all the action is nearby.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I stayed in this "Place" which reminded me of a Brothel first off Poor Low lighting . Red lights down hallways. Room so small u cant move and nowhere to put things. (was told a room could fit 5 people , we were over crowded with 3 and NOWHERE to put bags ) Dirty curtains (outside window was a alley and windows have not be cleaned in god knows how long) Robes were from other hotels & looked dingy, along with bath towels and washclothes that were as thin as tissue. We had to walk to walgreens and buy sheets and towels and washclothes. The staff was not friendly at all, was unknowledgable to any question we asked. (channels on tv, times or locations of something) There is NO ice machine & u have to get ice from the "bar" which is only open whenever & the staff acts as if its an inconvienence to get you ice. There was a concierge but not available when we wanted to plan events so we planned our own & when calling the front desk for a address of an event we had planned we were connected to this Consierge whom stated everything needed to be booked thru him & he hung up on us leaving us to miss the event we prepaid for ! Then we were asked to see "sister properties" for time share or something since we denied, the gentleman started to curse at us & call us names. (only to apologize as we checked out days later , which was clearly on there camera @ front desk) We were charged $8 for water (when u get 1 free water bottle a day which we had to remind the houskeeping to give us daily) But upon chk/in & chk/out we took pictures of mini bar so was later refunded after throwing a fit at the desk. The beds are mattresses on a base low to the floor with old bedding. The bathroom had poor lighting and a cracked shower door and when we used towels to clean up the water the towels were black from the dirty floor. When we were checking in we waited over an hour for Housekeeping to check the room & twice during our stay they entered the room without knocking. The patio furniture was removed to use at the "sister hotel" which left guest sitting and smoking on the front entrance steps & blocking the doorway. There is no continential breakfast and whats for sale is just a insult at $2 for a cup of juice or small box of cereal @ the bar. THE PICTURES ON LINE ARE VERY DECIEVEING As soon as we checked out we called Choice Hotels to complain & also contacted the hotel Management. Choice tryed to offer us a $50 gift card but for the $900 we paid for 4 days & the fact that EVERY hotel was booked (Memorial Day Weekend) we had no choice to stay there . a $50 gift card was not acceptable . So with hope the HOTEL management would want to SATISFY there guest we contacted a MATT C. He offered no compensation (didnt even try ) actually ignored my emails and calls for 2 weeks ( I have copies of all emails) then Matt proceeded to threaten me with contacting my General Manager as I am a Hotel employee(With Choice Hotels) & I guess I should have no opinion or should have not expected any compensation. And Matts Then denied me to speak with any other Manager or OWNER. I tryed to go thru Chamber of Commerce in Miami & everything led me back To Matt C. . I think this place lacks ANY respect for there guests & working in a Hotel I would do everything in my power to make my Guests happy (as I Do) I would NOT EVER stay there again obviously & I surely would NOT recommend it eithier! I did not even want to share the disappointment I had on tripadvisor in hope the "Management" would try to come to some type of agreement to satisfy the diappointment & horrible stay we had, But I dont think Matt C cares too much about the guests only collecting our money!

Green Features: There "Eco Friendly" hotel leaves u feeling like u are in a Brothel or Nightclub with low lighting & makes me wander what filth u would see if they had brighter lights !
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Steelerbaby

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Jersey City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I was there for 5 nights paid $161 plus resort fee. Let's start with the location is excellent. 2 blocks from the beach. Couldn't ask for more. But rooms are small & along with the bathroom needs brighter lights. With 2 people in the room we had to live out our suitcases for 5 nights had no place to put clothes. Had a friend staying in the joining room the front desk had no key to open the door between rooms. Suppose to have a fridge it won't get cold and when I asked the front desk about it I was told it's not a fridge but a cooler. The fridge/cooler still had stuff from the previous guest in it and smelled every time you opened it. The beach towels where better then the towels in the room for drying yourself after a shower. No staffed bar even on the weekend when told that it would be open on the weekend it wasn't. The staff was friendly answered questions, gave direction with a smile. Would only stay here again for no more then a weekend. Rooms should be between $79 to $89 per night.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eddienycnj
Little Rock, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I promise you don't want to stay here. The rooms are small with poor lighting. The bed is a boxspring on the floor. The lobby is small, the bathroom is small. We checked out and stayed at another hotel. The photos on the website are enhanced. Don't fall for it.

Now the location is good. Two blocks from the beach and close to Lincoln Road but that's about it. Oh they also say they are the only ecco friendly hotel. That's a plus if you care. These rooms should be $89 a night and even then I'm being generous.

There's also road construction going on right in front of the hotel. The staff says it's been going on for awhile.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank L T
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We used hotel points to stay here. We were not impressed. It's trying to be cool hotel but doesn't quite achieve it. The rooms were poorly lit, beds were low platforms with hard mattresses, the led strip lights were exposed so lights shone in our faces- plus it had exposed metal conduit with drywall showing. Curtains had limited function. The ac was super loud but it drowned out the early morning dumpster noise. The ceiling fans were overly complicated with special buttons and the motion sensor turned the light on in the middle of the night. The tv had a poor signal- especially when my husband was trying to watch a football game- had to leave to go to a bar to finish the game. Staff was courteous but did not seem genuine in helping you.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hummingbirdgirlll
Matthew C, Manager at Clifton Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Hummingbirdgirlll,

Thank you for your recent review. I'm sorry to hear that our property was not a good fit for you and your husband's recent visit to Miami Beach. The Asian inspired decor and minimalist design of our rooms are quite often what we're complimented on most. I would like to have had the opportunity to address your concerns during your stay, however I do appreciate the time you've taken to share your opinion.
Everywhere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

The location was great! It was a very fun trip and near everything except the stadium. There are great nearby restaurants and clubs. The staff is very nice and friendly. It was also very peaceful to sit outside and watch cars go by and yell Roll Tide or Go Irish. It was great experience and I'd love to go back.

Also it is very cool how the beds are basically on the ground I've never experienced anything like that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Matthew C, Manager at Clifton Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
jmgriffin9,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review! I'm so happy to hear that we were able to meet or exceed your expectations so completely. We are proud to be your destination of choice here in Miami Beach and are looking forward to your return trip.
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Green Hotel, everything is solar energy, Eco friendly so don't expect it to be bright and cheery, I could not see my face in the mirror to shave in the bathroom, the sink in the bathroom is so small that I did not have room to place my bag with my personal hygienic belongings. Our room was very noisy from the sound of our air conditioning, the hallway and the next door rooms. the TV is not easy to get it to work because of the solar system you have to wait for it to warm up for about 3 minutes, complicated when you don't know. Rooms are clean and OK for the price. after we complained about the noise and the size of the room we were given a larger room for the same price, and it was better, but the bathroom was the same, very tiny 5 X 4 and the bedroom is approximately 11 X 10 OK for one bed, too small for two beds,and there is no bed, only a box spring on the floor and the mattress. Overall for the price in the area, its OK. I do not want to discourage anybody from staying in this Hotel, just want to give more info.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Luistr
Luistr,

Thank you for your recent review and for taking notice of all of our eco-friendly features. As a LEED certified property and a member of GreenLeaders at the Platinum level we are committed to doing everything possible to operate at the highest level of sustainability. I'm sorry to hear that you were inconvenienced in any way by other guests in the hotel but am happy to hear our staff was able to offer you a free upgrade in consideration.