Okay I have to preface this review with the following disclaimer 'I'm not 18, I don't enjoy clubbing and I don't partake in illicit substances'.
Now that that is clear, I find myself wondering how I ended up on Ocean Drive Miami Beach Florida to begin with. We arrived at our hotel at 3 am after a supremely delayed flight from New York. I had kept the hotel informed via email of our anticipated late arrival though received no reply. Arriving exhausted and frazzled, all I hoped for was a friendly smile and a reaurring 'it's okay your here now' acknowledgement.
Instead, we lugged our bags up the stairs and to our room with no assistance offered, all the while being careful not to step over the drunk teenager passed out on steps outside or disturb the homeless man asleep on the lounge in the hotel lobby.
The person who greeted us at the front desk seemed oblivious or disinterested in our circumstances. The music from the club next door all but drowned out any attempted conversation. When asked if the noise from the street was audible from the room, we were advised it was not an issue. Interestingly, moments later we were charged for the full stay upon check in. Interesting because in all other hotels I've ever been to across the US, payment is on checkout. My cynical mind wonders whether it was a preemptive move on the hotel's part, to make just that little bit harder to check out early and get a refund.
The noise from the street was CLEARLY audible from our room, so sleeping or watching tv were out of the question.
The room itself was without fault - spacious, moon, clean, well equipped and stylish. I just wish it was one street back from the main strip.
Being on the main drag, the restaurant directly below the hotel ( which I believe is unrelated to the hotel) has front of house staff permanently stationed on the stairs touting for business, so it becomes quite an effort to negotiate your way around them ever time you want to enter or leave the hotel.
If you are on spring break, or an opiate user then you will probably not care about the incessant noise and throngs of inebriated patrons revelling in the non stop party downstairs. I am neithe,r so for me, it's a big fat no thanks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Room Mate Waldorf Towers is a historic property that has been recently renovated achieving the green building design certificate, situated next to the beach that offers a perfect balance between a historic building and a modern hotel. The hotel is ideally located in South Beach, within walking distance of trendy shops, nightclubs and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Room Mate Waldorf Towers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Room Mate Waldorf Towers Hotel Miami Beach
- Roo Mate Waldorf Miami Beach
- Roo Mate Waldorf Hotel