“Right hotel, wrong location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Room Mate Waldorf Towers

Room Mate Waldorf Towers
Ranked #47 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“Right hotel, wrong location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Okay I have to preface this review with the following disclaimer 'I'm not 18, I don't enjoy clubbing and I don't partake in illicit substances'.

Now that that is clear, I find myself wondering how I ended up on Ocean Drive Miami Beach Florida to begin with. We arrived at our hotel at 3 am after a supremely delayed flight from New York. I had kept the hotel informed via email of our anticipated late arrival though received no reply. Arriving exhausted and frazzled, all I hoped for was a friendly smile and a reaurring 'it's okay your here now' acknowledgement.

Instead, we lugged our bags up the stairs and to our room with no assistance offered, all the while being careful not to step over the drunk teenager passed out on steps outside or disturb the homeless man asleep on the lounge in the hotel lobby.

The person who greeted us at the front desk seemed oblivious or disinterested in our circumstances. The music from the club next door all but drowned out any attempted conversation. When asked if the noise from the street was audible from the room, we were advised it was not an issue. Interestingly, moments later we were charged for the full stay upon check in. Interesting because in all other hotels I've ever been to across the US, payment is on checkout. My cynical mind wonders whether it was a preemptive move on the hotel's part, to make just that little bit harder to check out early and get a refund.

The noise from the street was CLEARLY audible from our room, so sleeping or watching tv were out of the question.

The room itself was without fault - spacious, moon, clean, well equipped and stylish. I just wish it was one street back from the main strip.

Being on the main drag, the restaurant directly below the hotel ( which I believe is unrelated to the hotel) has front of house staff permanently stationed on the stairs touting for business, so it becomes quite an effort to negotiate your way around them ever time you want to enter or leave the hotel.

If you are on spring break, or an opiate user then you will probably not care about the incessant noise and throngs of inebriated patrons revelling in the non stop party downstairs. I am neithe,r so for me, it's a big fat no thanks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank Sandra W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Greek first
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed 2 nights, 3 couples and 3 nearly grown up kids. Not the type of place for young children but a great experience for older teens or young adults. In a great busy exciting location. Don't get 1st floor room unless you want noise outside your window half the night and NO view. We got moved to 3rd floor 2nd night, it was fabulous with a beach view and no street noise. Worth paying the extra. The staff were fabulous and tried so hard to help by upgrading us, they couldn't have been better.

Room Tip: Ask for beach view 2nd or 3rd floor, don't stay there if 1st floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed at the Waldorf 10 days. Location is perfect if you like party, balada, rumba or carrete! Just in the middle of the Ocean's restaurants, you can pick every night a different place for dinner time surrounded by music and the hot Miami's weather. And if you don't like parties, nevermind, location still is the best...just crossing the street you have a complete long/clean beach of Miami just in front of you, any time, just few steps away.

Most of the Hotels at the Deco neighborhood are pretty similar in size, construction quality and probably on charges also. Difference here is you can count on the front-desk a very friendly personnel any time you need something. Lazaro is particularly a very proactive manager looking for any help or service they can provide to their customers. I had an issue with the air conditioner and they didn't give up until it was solved completely. Fernando, the Hotel's director personally supervised any opportunity and his customer service attitude is a permanent plus to assure a pleasant stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
lazaro F, Front Office Manager at Room Mate Waldorf Towers, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear guests,

Thank you for your very kind review. We appreciate you taking the time to do this. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Room Mate Waldorf Hotel and that you found the hotel was very comfortable and modern.

I am very pleased to hear that our teams were helpful. It is always our aim to make our guests feel like they are in a home away from home.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Room Mate Waldorf Hotel on a future visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Loved my stay here. 4 days, friendly staff at front desk, excellent food and service from waitstaff. Rooms were small but perfect in every way. I look forward to coming back, loved sleeping with you. Thank you!!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear guests:

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Room Mate Waldorf on Tripadvisor.

Our guests’ feedback is extremely important to us and I am very glad that you found the hotel was very comfortable and modern and clean

we hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you again in the near future.
Love to sleep with you.

NY, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Today I called the hotel & spoke W/ Elizabeth in reservations/front desk inquiring about rooms. She was extremely delightful & pleasant! I look forward meeting during my stay in Miami. Thx for the hospitality.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guests,

Thank you for your very kind review. We appreciate you taking the time to do this. I am delighted Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to hear that our team was helpful. It is always our aim to make our guests feel like they are in a home away from home. We see you soon

Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. The staff (we met Juan Carlos) was really friendly and helpfull. The location is superbe!
Hotel looks great, modern! Rooms are clean.
As the Waldorf was built in 1920's, we found is was not enough insulated. I could hear the person in the room next to me yawn, and the ceiling was cracking everytime someone walked by in the room above us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eekje
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

There's nothing new I could show you about Miami, but i can suggest you to stay in this hotel with the most amazing beds, the perfect location (fun, fun, fun) and the most charming staff you've ever met. His new manager, Fernando, makes you feel as if you were at home.
I've spent 7 days working in Miami and got time to go sunbathing eveyday -the beach is 3 minutes walking distance.
Really good choice!!!