1,207 results
All reviewsocean drivesouth beachperfect locationfirst floorvalet parkingart decolummus parknoisy at nightbeach chairs and towelsrooms are smallearly checkspring breaknight lifehotel is greatboutique hotelhappy hourroommate
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed at the Room Mate for a few days the first week of April. This is a lovely, boutique hotel that is located right on the strip at Ocean and 9th. The location is right across from Lummus Park and once you walk through the park you are at the beach. The rooms are small but beautiful and you can't beat the price of this hotel for its location. I didnt give the hotel a five because we were two single ladies staying on the first floor of the hotel. There is a public bathroom in the first floor where we stayed and the door that leads to the guest rooms doesnt lock. Anyone could just walk down the hallway to where our rooms were located. My only other complaint was the noise from the cleaning staff at 7 am in the morning. They were very loud and woke me up from slamming the door that leads to outside and their cleaning supplies. I would recommend getting a room on a higher floor. We enjoyed the decor of the rooms. The room was very clean and beautifully decorated. All of the toiletries were Room Mate branded in cute little cubes. This is the place to stay for a good price and good lodging right in the middle of all the action!! Travel tip: If you are flying into FLL (Ft. Lauderdale) take the Go Shuttle to and from the hotel/FLL airport for just $20 each way. We paid $80 for a cab to drive us to the hotel and took the bus and the train back which was less expensive but took us almost 2 hours. Enjoy your stay!!

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank The_J_in_JACK
Natalie M, General Manager at Room Mate Waldorf Towers, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your very kind review. We appreciate you taking the time to do this.

We are very pleased to hear that our teams were helpful. It is always our aim to make our guests feel like they are in a home away from home.

I am deeply sorry to know that during your stay you found the noise from the kitchen staff. Also I will be checking into having an access key to enter the first floor area. Our guests safety is priority. We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you again in the near future; we will make sure you will satisfy with the room.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Our room facing the 9th Street side was quiet from 5AM to 10:30PM. Around 11PM, Mango's Tropical Cafe, right across the street, comes alive with music, cars/motorcycles coming & going and people shouting. Even though I brought my white noise sleep machine, I still could not get a decent night's rest.

If you like to party and stay up late, this is really a great location (right across from Lummus Park Beach). If you have a regular biological sleep clock, then probably a good idea to avoid this hotel.

PS - some rooms may have a pungent air freshner smell because the cleaning crew tries to cover up previous smokers' odor (it's supposed to be a non-smoking hotel)...do ask for a new room because the smell lingers for hours and caused us headaches.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank YRLovesTravel
Natalie M, General Manager at Room Mate Waldorf Towers, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Dear guest,

I am deeply sorry to know that during your stay you found the noise on the street from the nightlife of South Beach and I will make sure to improve the issue of noise and overall installation in the hotel. We also will be following up with the cleaning staff in regards to the smell of freshener in the rooms as this is a sensitive subject to our guests.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Arriving at hotel after a long trip I was told they did not have my reservation. I had booked on booking.com for one night and then added one more night directly with the hotel. The front desk person initially told me not to worry that he would take care of it. Then 20 minutes later he said there was nothing he could do as the hotel was already over booked and they were going to have to "walk" other guests who thought they had reservations as well to another hotel. He did find my reservation for the second night. I asked if he could get me into the other hotel as we had been traveling for so long and didn't want to begin searching for another hotel. He said no, that he could only get me into another property at the same rate IF I had a reservation! They lost the reservation for the second night yet there was suddenly nothing they could do. I would have to find somewhere my own room for my arrival night and then come back the next day to honor the reservation that they did have in their computer.
I told him that I did not want to have to spend two nights in two different hotels and he said that I would have to as I would be charged if I cancelled the next nights reservation! I spent another 45 minutes in the "lobby" with the blaring music coming from the restaurant right outside the door, trying to reach booking.com to get it straighted out. Finally I got on line with hotels.com and booked another room at a second hotel. Did get that conformation and after driving another 20 minutes arrive at what appeared to be a lovely hotel only to be told that they were overbooked as well!!!!
Ugh. The front desk person at that hotel was at least sympathetic and called expedia (yes folks all these on line booking companies are owned by expedia) andd after being on hold for 48 minutes I finally spoke to a human being who told me I could not cancel the reservation at the hotel that I was standing at who had no rooms as I was speaking to expedia and my confirmation was with hotels.com and she would have to transfer me, I did not want to wait another hour to get it straighten out so I again went on my iPad to try to find a third hotel. I was now three hours into this and am still being charged by three different hotels and don't have a room!
Now for my impressions of roommate.
There is no parking other than valet. Although there was a spot in front, the hotel restaurant has tables blocking the walk all the way to the curb so if you have luggage it is a feat to actually get past the tables. The music is so loud that my daughter and I commented that we would defiantly have to request a room in the back of the hotel so we could get some sleep. This became a non issue later on as we would not be spending the night here. The front door was broken but they did have a little sign telling you that. There was only one person on the front desk. when he couldnt find the reservation and I told him that indeed I had called the hotel dot re toy to add that night, he told me that they couldn't have made that mistake as they werent "trained" that way. I calmly explained that I had not booked the second night with booking.com because the room type I had already booked was not available. When I had called change the reservation I was told that I would have to upgrade to a more expensive room, which I got a price for and agreed to pay fornthe upgraded room for bith as I did nit wish to have to move after one night. Obviously I did not make this up. The hotel just messed up but would not help in any way. There was no manager on site as the front desk person tried to call him and got nowhere. I asked to use a restroom andthe flithy condition I found it in made me question if the rooms would be similar. The front desk person walked away to assist another guest and was gone for 10 minutes when I decided to go to the second hotel and straighten it out later. My overall impression with this property is that overbooking is common, parking (28 a night) is difficult, loud party scene (some people like that granted), no management backup if you need assistance, lobby littered with trash, and a disgusting lobby restroom.
Stay away!!!!

Room Tip: Confirm with hotel that you have a reservation and they actually are going to honor it before you try to park there
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank keysk8e

Dear guests,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Our guest’s feedback is extremely important to us and as you can imagine I was very sad to read that you felt that the hotel did not hold up to your expectations. We have tried reaching out to you to get a little more information in regards to the issues you had encountered. If you would please contact me at your earliest convience

I had conveyed your dissatisfaction to my Front Desk department, Please accept my apologies again for any inconvenience caused and rest assured that we will as always be working hard to ensure the highest standards are maintained here at Room Mate Waldorf

Best regards,

Reviewed June 26, 2012

I had researched places to stay in Miami for days and hours and I couldn't believe it when I found this hotel! My hubby, best friend, and I stayed here for 3 nights in two rooms. The prices are absolutely a steal for the extremely well decorated and modern hotel on Ocean Drive!

Accommodations - I cannot say enough good things about how beautiful this room was. Hardwood floors, beautiful headboard, modern bathroom...
The rooms are just super modern, spacious, and beautiful. There is a safe in the room as well - although my friend's safe was not bolted down to anything.

Service is not the greatest - the staff seemed overwhelmed and undertrained.

1.The lady that checked me in didn't know how to charge my credit card and asked me to come back in an hour when someone else knew. It also took her about 20minutes to try and figure out our reservations.

2. My friend left her luggage in their holding room and when she went back to get it - she couldn't find it - we found it just sitting in a different corridor of the hotel! We can only assume that another guest had taken it by accident and - lucky for us - just left it (instead of having it completely stolen!). There needs to be a better security system for holding and retrieving luggage.

3. We asked for beach towels and after an hour we still didn't receive them - when we went down to reception the lady (same as the one who checked us in) saw us and said the towels were coming now!

So despite this - I give this hotel 5/5 because the rooms are so nice, the price is so low (especially for miami beach) and the location can't be beat.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank CarinaInRedDeer
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am very glad to hear you found the hotel generally good.

Our guests feedback is extremely important to us and as you can imagine I was very sad to read that you felt that the hotel did not provide the best service during your stay with us, I am happy that overall the Hotel and its location was amazing for you.

I have conveyed your dissatisfaction to my Front Desk department,. Please accept my apologies again for any inconvenience caused and rest assured that we will as always be working hard to ensure the highest standards are maintained here at Room Mate Waldorf Towers
Kind Regards,
Natalie

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Lovely art deco boutique hotel right in the middle of South Beach. Beautifully decorated rooms with lovely shower. Good restaurant on site perfect for people-watching. Beach opposite, valet parking and friendly staff. Only negative was lack of room safes.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear guest,

We are very pleased to hear that our team was helpful and you enjoyed the amazing shower in the rooms. It is always our aim to make our guests feel like they are in a home away from home.

I am deeply sorry to know that your room did not have a in room safe. I have ordered new safes for the hotel .so in the future all guests will have this available for their security . We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you again in the near future; we will make sure you will be 100 percent satisfied with the room.