“Upgraded to a sister property, but please read” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Shelley

Hotel Shelley
Ranked #92 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Cedarburg
“Upgraded to a sister property, but please read”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

We attempted to stay at the Hotel Shelley for one night. Upon arrival, and after nearly an hour of searching for our reservation, the front desk staff discovered that our reservation was made for the day I MADE the reservation, rather than the day of our actual reservation, despite the confirmation email I received.

To the hotel's credit, they attempted to accommodate us at this point by giving us a room on the first floor, directly behind the bar. When I protested due to the obvious noise problem - I KNOW this is South Beach, I KNOW what kind of hotel this is, but please, nobody wants that room, which is probably why it was available - the hotel told me that as a family, we probably should have picked a different hotel. What? Our family = 2 adults, and one 15 year old. We're not talking toddlers that need a nap. It was 3 p.m. and the DJ was already playing music in the lobby. We had a pretty good idea of what the activity level would be at midnight and later.

After a second attempt to give us a room on the second floor, which we would have gladly taken if it was ready (we went up to find the beds completely stripped and the room clearly not cleaned) we asked for a refund. We'd been in the lobby over two hours at this point. Ultimately, the general manager offered to upgrade us to a four-star sister property, the Riveira Hotel, which we gladly accepted. It was more "family friendly." Geez, Get off it.

So, I am leaving a review despite not having stayed at this property. We would have liked to stay there - the location was perfect, the decor had the funky, cool, vibe we like. We wanted to be in this neighborhood, near the beach. WE KNEW WHAT WE WERE RESERVING. At the same time, it's not unreasonable to expect that a reservation made months earlier will be for a room that's ready, not the one that nobody wants.

But this hotel has some fundamental problems. I tried calling the hotel no less than six times the weekend before our reservation to confirm it (as I did with everything on this trip). Every attempt was voice mail purgatory, and no, I don't believe as I was told via a follow up email, that the "phone system was down." I just don't think they answer the phone. The phone at the front desk didn't ring the entire time we were in the lobby, and for a busy, small boutique hotel like this, that seems a little unrealistic. Other reviews have also pointed this out. I also attempted to communicate via email, and got no response to that.

So on the upside, the general manager and the front desk staff member really did to their best to address our problem. We were completely satisfied with the end result. But it was a problem that should have never occurred in the first place. If you read the reviews here, it seems like those people who have a reservation executed without a hitch have a fairly good experience at this hotel. And then there are people like us. Hope you don't join us if you attempt to stay here.

Room Tip: If they attempt to give you a room on the first floor by the bar, don't take it unless you plan...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank HolidayRoad
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Good Afternoon HolidayRoad,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, and all of our future guests! I am very glad to know that we were able to accommodate you with a room. We are sorry that the room was located behind the bar, on the first floor. We have a DJ spinning in the lobby to keep a cool vibe going on when guests walk in. We are located in the heart of South Beach, and we are more of a party hotel. I see that we were able to upgrade you to our sister hotel- Riviera Suites. It's a lovely 4 star property, located just a bit further North. I will definitely make sure to pass on your feedback to the rest of our team, so that they are aware.

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I have stayed at South Beach Group hotels several times in the past, including the Chesterfield and the Catalina - my favourite. This was my first stay at Hotel Shelley. Upon arriving I immediately found the front desk staff was not attentive, despite the fact I was the only one requiring service and checking in at the time. Instead, he chose to walk away from the desk and began chatting with another staff member, making me wait. When he did complete my check-in he barely spoke and acted as though it was a hassle and I was inconveniencing him. The rest of the staff were very cooperative and relatively pleasant.
Location is certainly the highlight. The never-ending construction on Collins Ave does make walking around the area a bit annoying; something the city should be addressing in a high tourist area. Hopefully it will be completed soon. The hotel room was small, which is to be expected, but clean and decent for the price point. As with the other SBG hotels, the bed was clean and comfortable, which is key. The bathroom could use some attention and maintenance. The screws holding the towel rack had pulled out of the wall at some point in the past and were simply pushed back in, so it was hanging from the wall in the shower. The faucet was also loosely sitting on the sink, which I attempted to tightened myself. A few small details, but these could easily be addressed to improve the experience for future guests.

Upon checkout the girl working the front desk was very polite and pleasant, which was great.

I was incorrectly billed for items from the mini bar after checkout, which has been addressed with management to have reimbursed.

I'll be choosing the Catalina for future stays.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
Hello there JeffMyles,

We value all of our guests feedback and we would like to thank you for sharing yours with us! We are delighted to know that you are one of our loyal and returning guests of SBG. We strive on providing outstanding service, so it pains us to read that is not what you were given! Perhaps the front desk agent was assisting another hotel matter, and needed to speak with the other employee about it. The City of Miami Beach is preforming construction to improve our roadways. They should be done before we know it, and everything will be better then ever! We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel room. I will make sure to pass on your feedback to our other staff, so that they are aware of this.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Hotel took an hour to check in, despite no line. Service slow and rude at the lobby bar. Hotel key cards failed frequently. Tried to charge extra charges on checkin despite prepay. With so many other options in sobe, don't stay here. Not worth it

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Hello there tombizzle,

We value all of our guests feedback and we are terribly sorry that your time spent with us was not a 5 star one! We have been experiencing some issues with our system, causing checking guests in and out to take a bit longer then usual. We advise guests not to place their key cards next to their cell phones, as this is how they are deactivated. We do charge a $15 resort fee that covers all of the amenities that we offer. All of the sites clearly state that.

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

I stayed at Hotel Shelley for one night. My boyfriend and I wanted to jump around hotels in South Beach so after being disappointed with our stay at the Whitelaw Hotel we were hopeful Hotel Shelley would be more true to their pictures, cleanliness, service, etc. Alton Bates at Hotel Shelley allowed us to drop off our luggage in the morning before check-out, and agreed to sign for my suitcase that was lost in flight the previous day....we were able to go out and explore south beach without worrying. When my boyfriend became very sick around noon, we went back to the hotel eager to get a room. Alton was able to get us checked in early and we got a large corner room. Alton helped me carry our luggage upstairs and helped us get into the room. After a long day of taking care of my boyfriend, I was able to get a free mixed drink for happy hour in the lobby. :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Christie C
Good Afternoon Christie C,

Thank you so much for the time you took to share your feedback with us! Alton is absolutely amazing and all of our guests seem to think so as well! We strive on providing outstanding service to all of our guests, so we are glad that is what you received! I will make sure that Alton is aware of your kind praise! We hope that you would choose to stay with us again in the future!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

I had a great experience with Hotel Shelley. The hotel is clean and the staff is friendly. Bed is cozy. I love the fully stock mini bar in the room. Hotel is located 1 block from the beach. There is free wifi and airport shuttle. This hotel is really a great deal. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014
Hello there Marie1216,

Thank you so much for taking your time to share your feedback with us. We are delighted to read that your time spent here was a 5 star one!!! All of our staff work hard to make sure that everyone is having a great time! We are located just blocks away from all the action here on South Beach. Please come back for another memorable time!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

What an amazing place to stay! Hotel Shelley really exceeded our expectation! It is our first time traveling to the USA, Miami was our second stop. Physical appearance of exterior & interior of hotel is as per images on website. Check in & service was excellent - Alton was very helpful & thorough! He even assisted us with our suitcases up to the 3rd floor! Our room, bathroom etc was clean. Overall this is an excellent place to stay. Location is perfect! And if you don't mind hustling & bustling of the nearby night life vibe then this is a great option for travelers on a budget! Thanks again Hotel Shelley & Alton! You made falling in love with Miami even better! We hope to see you again sometime! Shanaaz & Nizaam

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Good Day Shanaaz D,

There is nothing that we love to read more, then wonderful 5 star feedback! We are extremely glad to know that you had such a great time here at Hotel Shelley! Alton is lovely and all of our guests seem to think so as well! I will make sure that he is aware of your kind praise! We are located in the heart of South Beach, just blocks away from all the hottest spots. Please come back again soon for another memorable time!

Cape Town, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Visited Miami for a few days and opted to stay here. We had a fantastic stay. The service at the front desk was excellent, especially Alton. He was very friendly and helpful. The room was amazing and surpassed our expectations. Overall, it was fantastic, memorable and we would return.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Hello there nizaamd,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, and all of our future guests! We are delighted to read that your time spent with us was a great one! We strive on providing outstanding service, so we are glad to know that is what you were given! I will make sure that Alton is aware of your kind praise! Please come back again soon!