“Great location, the hotel appeals to those with acquired taste.”
Review of Hotel Shelley

Hotel Shelley
Ranked #90 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Great location, the hotel appeals to those with acquired taste.”
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was located in a great place down Collins avenue right around the corner from the beautiful south beach. With access to local shops and bars was a real treat. The hotel did have a great feel downstairs with a open bar and dining areas. There is wifi available (only downstairs - nothing in the rooms!) and the rooms were annoying to access with the swipe card. The rooms were very small and the room has the weirdest smell to it (maybe the aircon?) the place is loud downstairs with music and outside but strangely enough upstairs its quiet and peaceful. They have a happy hour between 7-8 but with the cheapest alcohol and the staff are all friendly and nice. I would recommend this place to stay for a cheap night picking up the local talent - don't take your families there unless you want to sleep on the floor!

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Am an experienced traveller and understand what you should pay for to what quality. Usually not complaining that much but following has to be said.

Arrived during Miami Winter Conference and you'd expect a busy hotel. But what happened was that we had to pay 60$ extra per ro and night to get that extra queen size we'd already booked and paid for thru Expedia. Hotel meant that booking thru third parties don't guarantee that you get what you actually paying for since it's all about what's available. Obviously they had beds available but we still had to pay extra....

Once in the room you could tell that it was a really low standard for 400$ per night. No storage at all, beds that they probably bought at some cheap mall and paint to cover the poor walls.

Later I ordered a beer in the bar (which had about ten people throughout the whole week...) and it costed me 13 dollars for a local beer. I asked about the price and they said it was due to these busy weeks which I understand in general but not when your paying less in the fanciest clubs around. Obviously know nothing about how to generate sales.

Location is good but that's about it. I'd recommend everyone to go elsewhere. Not because you can't stay there but because they drive sales in a poor and cheap way.

[--] place in other words.

1 Thank SMB0000

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Hornchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Our first time in Miami, don't ever moan about the traffic in London. Thank goodness we had a sat nav otherwise may have got completely lost. The hotel is on the beach side of Miami on a busy road. Having found the hotel which is in the Art Deco Area the question of parking came up. We were offered 3 options, park in the street on a meter (if you can find one), park in a Public car park but if you leave it you may not get back in or Valet parking. Although this was $32 per day it was the best option as you could have the car when you liked. When we checked in Dusto who was on reception was very helpful.
The hotel room was tight for space, but comfortable. As it was Spring Break time there were a lot of college/university youngsters there. Happy Hour each evening from 7-8 - not all drinks and small measures. Room and bathroom was clean and comfortable

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kenilworth, New Jersey
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is a charming little hotel with good customer service. The staff was always accommodating and friendly. The rooms are a bit small, but for the price we payed we didn't expect anything grandiose. My only complaint was they added on some service fees after we already payed and booked (although I here this is what hotels are starting to do similar to what airlines have done). To make up for the fees we made sure to take advantage of the complimentary drinks during happy hour. Overall, it's a great hotel if you're looking for a cozy and clean place to stay, and you are staying in Miami to get out and explore.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Janet P
Passaic, New Jersey
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We booked this hotel a couple of hours before our flight and were nervous about arriving so early since check-in was at 3pm. Nevertheless, we were able to check-in ahead of time free of charge. The rooms are small and dark but who goes to South Beach with the intention of staying in the rooms. The room was very clean and our beds were extremely comfortable. We have never experienced such great customer service from the hotels staff. Christina the Bartender was AMAZING! She was really friendly and made great drinks! Overall we had a great time at this hotel and for the location the price isn't too bad.

• Stayed March 2013
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hello Abbyflo,

Thank you for posting your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am very glad to know that you had a great time while staying with us!! I see that we were able to accommodate you with an early check- in, free of charge. Our rooms are a little bit smaller then your average hotel. We are indeed a boutique hotel and therefore our rooms are smaller. I am glad that you were content with the cleanliness of your room, as well as with the service that was provided to you. We hope to see you soon!

Katrine
Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I booked this hotel on Last Minute Travel for November 2012. I had never stayed in South Beach ever before. I have only stayed Downtown Miami and wanted to experience SOBE. We arrived late on Nov 21/12 and learned that we missed the shuttle and due to the fact that it was so late we took a taxi. When we arrived we stood at the front desk for almost 1/2 hour waiting to be assisted in our check in. The hotel is so dark its hard to see anything and maybe they could not see me? Well we finally got our keys and trudged to the upper floor (they have no elevator) with the bell boy assisting with our luggage. We got to our room and the bell boy opened the door only to hear a scream from a lady who was laying in the bed!!!!! We scrambled out the door and stood in the hall way in shock! The bell boy went back downstairs to retrieve another room. Well long story after waiting another hour we finally were into our room. By this time it was almost midnight and we were exhausted. We got into this room to find it smaller than the smallest dorm room I have ever been in! We could not put our luggage near the bed as there was no floor space to be seen, so we pushed it all into a tiny closet. The room was poorly lit with only one tiny lamp in the room and no ceiling lights. We decided to maybe go to eat as the hotel was very loud and we didnt think we could get any sleep. We went across the street and found a really nice restaraunt and had a nice meal. We returned to our room at 1:30 am and decided to fall asleep. This proved to be very difficult as the bed was a futon mattress on a platform bed!!!!! When my boyfriend moved I rolled off. It was so uncomfortable but we made the best of it. I called LMT to change the booking for our post cruise to ANYWHERE but here!!!!

We woke up at 5:00 am because we were so uncomfortable and I went to the front desk to get a letter stating that we did not want to remain at this hotel for the remainder of our trip (to send to LMT to justify another booking). THERE was NO one at the front desk!!!! I rang the bell, I phoned from my phone, there was no one around at all, and I stayed there for 1/2 hour. I did get concerned that they left the Credit Card manifests and receipts on the desk for everyone to view (was right in hands reach). I was appalled!!!! I went back to our room and began to pack for our departure to anywhere. My boyfriend and I left the room and walked to the beach just to get out of that room. We returned around 7:30 am and found that there was one staff member there, I told them that we were going to be checking out right away and they told me to talk to the manager when he arrived at 9:00am. We went back to our room and thats when i just about vomitted! I had lost my luggage key in the bedding so i was pulling it off when i noticed something on the sheets. I asked my boyfriend if he had a bloody nose in the night he said he hadn't and thats when i revealed huge blood spots on the sheets, under the pillow and on the blanket!!!! My boyfriend said "well thats what must be on the walls too" and sure enough there was blood on the bathroom walls as well. I noticed vomit on the curtains and thats when I just had enough!!!!

We grabbed our luggage and hauled it downstairs and then demanded to speak to the manager immediately! The manager was called and he came over from the Chesterfield Hotel across the street within 1/2 hour. I had taken pictures with my phone and began to show him the pictures, he apologized profusely and had a bell boy come get our luggage and he set us up in his other hotel right away. (I will do a review of the Chesterfield Hotel in another review).

When we returned to Canada I called LMT and spoke to the lady who booked us at the Hotel Shelley and told her our issues there. I emailed her the pictures and told her that this was the worst hotel I have EVER stayed at. We did receive a refund for our nights stay and we made note that we will never stay here again and will warn others from staying here as well.
Regarding the hotel shuttle, the bus runs every 2 hours not every hour like stated on their site.

Room Tip: To choose the best room, its best to book elsewhere!