“Prime location and service... More bang for your buck!”
Review of Chesterfield Hotel

Chesterfield Hotel
Ranked #70 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Let me just give you the facts about why Chesterfield is now my favorite hotel in South Beach.

Prime location- Right near all the retail shops on Collins. One block away from The Famous Mango's! One block away from the beach.

Customer Service- We were supposed to stay just one night but ended up having to stay an extra night due to AA cancelling our flight. Luckily ALEX was there to accomidate us with an affordable room. He gave us recommendations of what to do and who to speak with at AA. I think he felt bad for us :) He also reminded us of FREE HAPPY HOUR. Yup I said FREE!

FREE DRINKS- Well Drinks from 7pm-8pm

FREE SHUTTLE SERVICE- To and from the airport

Rooms- Cute and stylish

Reviewed June 4, 2010

We just checked out of the chesterfield hotel and I could not wait to write about our awesome stay. I was initially distraught about having to stay another night in Miami due to bad weather conditions going to jamaica but Alex who works in the front desk hooked it up big time! We ended up with an awesome suite. With 2 king beds and an extra pull out couch and a beautiful clean bathroom!! All for a very low price!! All I can say is Alex is the man!!

Reviewed June 3, 2010

I stayed here for WMC 2010, booked kinda late and not many choices left. Regretfully I ended up staying at the chesterfield. For starters I called a week before making sure I got booked with a double bed room. I even called the morning of my flight to make sure the room I asked for was taken care of, and it seemed as though everything was squared away for my stay. Upon my arrival the double bed was no longer available and was told to wait till the next day and they would see what could be done. Neither of which were in a polite or professional matter. The staff were very rude and just down right nasty. The next day I was told nothing could be done and had to stay with the room I got. I have never had service like this before with any hotel stay. Day 3, I saw a mouse in the room. As other reviewers stated I also saw roaches in the room, never enough towels and the room lighting and design was not conducive to a comfortable stay. The hallways smelled of marijuana and was very obvious because of lack of air circulation. Room where very stuffy and muggy even with the air conditioner on. Music stayed on till 5-6am on a nightly basis. The "non" happy hour was complete crap alcohol if the drinks even had alcohol in them. On my last day I heard and saw mice again. I attempted to call front desk to inform them with no answer. The room keys also stopped working several times. Too top it off I checked out and my bill was zeroed out. Later to find out I got charged $67.80 to my credit card. So the past 2 months I have been trying contact management for the reason of the charge. No response to my calls and at times no answer at hotel lobby. Messages have been left and never responded to. This hotel clearly has terrible service and do not show any regards to their customers.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2010

My boyfriend and i have been to South Beach, Miami many times, all of them enjoyable experiences, including this one...outside of the hotel. We've never felt so unwelcome and disrespected in all the years we've visited.

Day 1 - Check In: We arrived early, so we knew there probably wouldn't be a room available for us, okay, we can deal with that. They did not, how ever, offer to check our bags so we could do something else for the afternoon, instead of sit in a hotel lobby. Which by the way, the lobby was dirty and the sofa cushions were ripped up and repaired with tape.

While we sat in the lobby, we ordered a few drinks at the bar, 3 each....for $60!!!!! How absurd! They failed to give us a detailed receipt, now i realize it's a tourist spot and i don't expect a $3.50 bottle of Miller Lite, but no WAY would i think they would serve $10 Coronas and Heineken!

Day 2 - Went into the closet to grab a pair of shoes, and i found a live roach crawling on the floor...disgusting!

Day 4 - Got our room cleaned, but no clean towels?!

Day 5 - Happy Hour: We enjoy going to this hotel because of happy hour, but on this particular night, our bartender served us what we thought was Vodka Sprites, but were Vodka Tonics, which we did not order. He did this two nights in a row. On the 2nd night, after our 2nd drink (mind you, these drinks are tiny), he decided to skip over us and wait on 7 other people, while he knew we were waiting to be served, but instead played with his iPhone, his name was Justin.

Day 6 - We came back from the beach to find that both of our rooms keys no longer worked and they had locked our door, we still were booked for one more evening, and had to get new room keys.

Once entering the room, we found a detailed receipt for the mini bar for 4 flight bottles of liquor, 2 bags of M&Ms, and a bottle of water. In all the years we've ever gone on vacation, we've never used a mini bar, we bought all of our own food & drink. We then went to the front desk and ask them to remove from our bill, which they said they did.

Day 7 - Check out day: i was about to take a shower, and we noticed that there was a dead roach stuck between the towels...so i didn't get to take a shower because i felt the bathroom was contaminated.

When we went to check out, they DID NOT take of the mini bar purchases and i had to ask them again. And at check in they failed to tell us that there was a $15 surcharge for SHUTTLE - WIFI - PHONE - HAPPY HOUR. All of which are listed on the website as FREE. none of this is FREE folks, you are actually paying for those drinks and the shuttle drive every single day.

This trip was fully paid for and they try to nickle & dime you where ever they can. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. It was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at as well as dirtiest and most unfriendly and unwelcoming staff.

We were sorely disappointed and very upset the first day and the 6th day because of there shenanigans, they practically ruined our last night of vacation because of there poor work ethic.

The nicest thing about this place....was leaving.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laurielu1227
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I reserved the Jr Suite. The pictures on the website were greatly exaggerated. The Jr Suite is extremely small. NO microwave or even a coffee table big enough to fit a small purse. While taking a shower the drain was clogged up. I brought this to the managers attention. I was moved to a larger room, still no microwave. Non of the rooms have central air. The ac unit is really loud but no louder than the people that hang out side of Chesterfield hotel til 5am. It was extremely loud and just plain ghetto. What topped it off was the 15 a day resort fee, ( this is not a resort) 30 a day parking and other small fees that was not included in the package. OVerall I paid about 500 for a hotel a little bit above Motel 6. WIll definelty not stay here again or recommend this hotel to even my worsed enemy.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Love Love Love! This place was great! I have 3 points that make me give it a 4 instead of 5. First, I was dissapointed by the breakfast buffet. Paid $11 and there was no fruit. Meat and bread mostly. But I made a plate big enough for me and my friend in the room and made it work. Second, we had a "quiet room" away from the noise from the bar and Collins but that had us in the alley. It was great for some thing like we cut thru the alley and another one and we were on Ocean! But the first night I had a window cracked and heard some alley fighting.. kinda freaked me out. But we closed the windows the rest of the tirip and didn't have another complainet. Lastly, there was a downpour during check-out and the front was completely flooded. I took off my shoes to run to the front and my entire foot and ankle was covered w water. The bellmen carried our stuff from our rooms to the front but were not able to use a luggage cart due to the rain. I tipped them well but wish we didn't have to deal w that in the first place.
The consierge was GREAT. I'm horrible to not have gotten his name but young spanish male curly hair. Helped me w everything and it all worked out perfectly. The Vip card situation isn't as free as it comes off but w all that SouthBeach has to offer all at a high cost... the card helps u get into places it wld be near difficult and a longgg wait w.o. it.

Miguelangelo69, Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2010

Dear jackieee1312
Thank you for your positive feed back, and the compliments to our staff.
We are always looking for ways to improve our customer service.
Let us know when are you comming next so we can make your stay more enjoyable!.
Miguelangelo Hinojosa
Guest Relations

Reviewed May 1, 2010

First, what is good about the place. Great Collins Avenue location. The decor is hip South Beach. I'm not an interior designer, but even I can tell a lot of care went into the look of the lobby and rooms (not the hallways, though). Some of the staff was very nice and chatty. They had a happy hour when select drinks were free; yes these were cheap watered down vodka-based drinks, but at least the option is there. The rooms featured flat screen cable TV, an iron and ironing board, blowdryer, shampoo and conditioner. Free Wifi. There is a refrigerator, but it's clogged with typical overpriced hotel-room items so there really isn't any room for your items. The room air conditioner is noisy, but it keeps the room fabulously cool if desired.

Now the negatives. Bugs in the room. My white Macbook had dark brown insect sheddings all over it in the morning. Yuck! The shower water actually floods the entire bathroom after about a minute of operation because the shower floor is not slanted to the drain. Either the contractors didn't understand the principle of gravity or the building is listing to one side. The older manager-type person who sometimes checks people in/out was unpleasant and pushy. The $15 per-night "resort fee" is a joke. There is absolutely nothing "resort" about this place. No pool (they apparently have a hot-tub on the roof, but that was closed for my entire stay), no fitness center, no business center, no beach, no nothing. Yes, there is a spa, but you pay for that if you choose to use it. I'm sure the manager will respond with something like, "You get Happy Hour and an airport shuttle with the resort fee." First of all, not everyone uses the Happy Hour or the shuttle (I didn't use the latter) so guests who don't use those are actually subsidizing those who do. And don't call it a "free" Happy Hour if we are in fact paying for it. Drop the "free" and make the drinks cheap (they certainly are cheap).

If you understand and can tolerate the shortcomings of this property in advance and the rate (add $15 per night to whatever is quoted) is cheap, then it's an okay place. I in fact understood this might not be the best place to stay, got an okay rate and don't feel too ripped-off, hence the relatively generous 3 stars. I had to answer honestly "no" to the "Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?" question because I would tell friends to spend extra money to stay elsewhere unless they would put up with what is off about this property.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Miguelangelo69, Guest Relations Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2010

Dear Glencie
Thank you very much for your recent review, and we appreciate all of your imput.
We are working hard on fixing all of these isues. We are also working on the showers problem.
Please contact me so we can make sure your next visit to South Beach is as enjoyable as possible,
Miguelangelo Hinojosa