“Chesterfield is Charming-Could use some light!”
Review of Chesterfield Hotel

Chesterfield Hotel
Ranked #72 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed November 29, 2005

Two friends and I stayed at the Chesterfield in October after our cruise. I read some reviews and decided to give it a shot. Having stayed at Haddon Hall the year before, anything else was a serious improvement. We arrived a few hours early and had no problems checking in. The bellman took our bags to the room on the elevator. Note: If you're claustrophobic or weigh more than 110 lbs., DO NOT TAKE THE ELEVATOR. It's like a padded coffin that creaks! Our room was small, as most boutique hotel rooms are, but it was very chic and clean! The white linens and the contemplorary touches made squeezing 3 people in a double-bed room bearable. The bathroom was very European--the entire bathroom was a shower: no doors, no tub, no partitions. And everything gets wet. ANOTHER NOTE: Put your belongings underneath the sink to keep them dry during a shower. We didn't interact much with the staff, but they were courteous enough when we did.
The hotel's greatest asset is its location. We were close to all the action and then some--the hotel has a bar in the lobby where party-goers frequent nightly. I'm glad we booked on the 3rd floor away from the elevators. Although we could still hear the thumping of the bass until 3 a.m., all other noise was not a factor. The beds were comfortable and there were no awful smells (a la Haddon Hall). The cleaning service did a good job. We never saw any bugs of any kind, thank goodness. I have two small complaints: the art deco look is fine, but that's still no reason to dim the halls to nearly pitch black. The orange walls is one thing, but for safety sake I hope this hotel invests in brighter light bulbs. And why put the room numbers are on the bottom of the door? That's just plain silly.
Overall, I had a good time. I would stay again, but I would book two rooms if traveling with more than 2 people.

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

New York, georgia
Reviewed October 13, 2005

The hotel is fine , clean and fun, the staff is very nice even though the manager dont help on anything. I've tried around 10 times to talk to a ghost manager called Chris he never showed up which means that he don't care about the place. Anyhow i had fun. Watch for the roaches and bugs that are in all the rooms. bring your own spray.

• Stayed: September 2005
newark, nj
Reviewed September 12, 2005

took my girl to south beach for her first time, and both of us enjoyed it. it was my second time and this was better than the first. the guy @ the front desk hooked us up with comps to mansion and crobar. very friendly staff and this hotel is dead smack in the middle of everything. this is a hotel for the younger crowd. so if your old and dont like staying up until 5:00 am, dont come here because you wont like it.

• Stayed: September 2005
Toronto
Reviewed July 23, 2005

i just came back from my trip to miami and stayed at the chesterfield. i had a pretty good time. the rooms were small but comfortable and very clean. and all the comments about the bathroom are all true. no shower curtain or curb to contain the water from spraying all over the bathroom so if you don't put your clothes and towels away properly (place it under the sink) it will get wet. plus there was no room for my toiletries. the continental breakfast wasn't the greatest but it's a nice treat. i enjoyed sitting outside and "people watch" as we ate our breakfast. "happy hour" drinks were a bonus as well but all vodka based drinks. they also had an in-house dj. he was spinning pretty good house music. the location was great. it was walking distance from the shops along collins and lincoln st. and the beach was just two blocks away. I'd recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: July 2005
Reviewed July 6, 2005

We stayed at the Chesterfield for a night--that's all I can take of South beach. We stayed there Saturday July 2nd. Granted it was a holiday weekend, but it is like that year round. The rooms are as seen on the website, pretty good location. However if you do stay here ASK FOR A ROOM ON THE 3RD FLOOR AND IN THE BACK-AWAY FROM THE LOUNGE. We stayed on the the 3rd floor--right at the top of the stairs--which is directly above the lounge and DJ. You could hear the music crystal clear blasting thru the walls until 4am. I would ASSUME if you had a room all the way at the end of the hallway on the 3rd floor, the muisc would be drained out. It felt as though you were at a bad house/college party, to drunk to drive, and had to pass out there! UGH! All in all it was fine for a nite or two. I would NOT recommend it for a longer than that. Splurge for the expensive rooms if you plan on staying for a week. Who could take South Beach for longer than a few nites?? It's fun, beautiful--but SOOOOOO overated AND more expensive than NYC!!!

Reviewed May 23, 2005

This hotel was in a great location close to everything. But the staff is mediocre at best. Not very helpful. The rooms were small but clean. The bathroom situation in the shower didn't bother my husband and I too much. Just leave your clothes outside the door or in the sink. But I suppose if I were there with a group of friends it would have been a little cramped. The free drinks every night were a nice little bonus. Like I said if you are looking for luxury this isn't the hotel for you. But if you are looking for a cheap boutique hotel you will enjoy the stay.

• Stayed: April 2005
2  Thank bebe624
Reviewed May 19, 2005

My fiance and I stayed at the Chesterfield for the 2nd time,not what we expected. We were awaken every morning at 8:30am by garbage trucks and beer trucks in the alley. Then again around 9:30am from housekeeping. What kind of hotel has housekeeping come at 9:30 in the morning? We're on vacation, we want to sleep in a little. The worse of all was the night b4 we checked out, we stopped at the front desk and requested a late check out and were given 3pm. At about 12:30pm we received a phone call from another front desk clerk demanding we exit the room immediately and we were being charged $20. Well, this woman wouldn't even hear our explanation. She said there were no comments in the computer and wouldn't even listen to our explanation. She was rude, cut me off and treated me like I was a child. I've never been more insulted. We asked to have a manager contact us, that never happened. Never again, I would rather pay a few more bucks have a good night's rest and leave enjoying my vacation..not in frus

Stayed: May 2005