“Worst Holiday Inn” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #102 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Deerfield Beach, Florida
“Worst Holiday Inn”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I could write a book about the horrible service at this hotel.

Upon check in the boy at the front desk really had no idea what was going on. I had two reservations, for two nights in a row. I had to book it this way because one night was for business and one was for personal. The guy couldn't grasp this and it took three people to get us checked in. The room we were placed in was incredibly small. Two of the outlets in the room didn't work, and only one person could fit in the bathroom at a time. We called and asked for a mini fridge for our room, and was told it would be $10 a night. While they were bringing it up I found in the hotel guide that it was only $5 a night, so I insisted on this price. Once they brought it up there wasn't much space to put the fridge anywhere, and they had to plug it into the outlet on top of the desk. Now we can't sit at the desk.

Since all of the outlets were in use or broken, I plugged in my cell phone in the bathroom. We went to dinner and I left my phone charging because I wouldn't need it. When I returned around 11 I found that my sink had been leaking the entire time I was gone and my phone was sitting in a pool of water and now the sim card is destroyed. Upset, I went to the front desk to complain. They told me they would send maintenance up to fix my sink, but didn't say anything about my phone. A little while later a man shows up in a yellow Miami beach t shirt and a tool belt. No name tag or any type of identification. He came in and fixed the sink then left.

The next morning I went down to the front desk again to try to get something figured out. The front desk manager talked to me for a few minutes, apologized and upgraded my room. She asked if I wouldn't mind talking to the hotel manager and I obliged. She walked me to his office and I immediately felt like I was in the principals office. I wish I would have written down his name so I could tell you to steer clear of him. If I had his name I would have called corporate about my horrible experience. He started grilling me - Why was my phone plugged in in the bathroom? What did I expect to get from this? Followed with - There is no way my employees would come to your room without identification. I felt like the HOTEL MANAGER was calling me a LIAR! Are you joking? He kept asking what I wanted - I told him I didn't want ANYTHING, but for this to be avoided for the next guest. They ended up comping my parking for one night and giving me an upgraded room. Yes the room was nice, but I expected so much more from a IHG property. I hope this is a franchised hotel, as I feel IHG would be underwhelmed with the level of service given by hourly and management employees. I will never ever ever stay here again, and I will forever tell people to stay away.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Lauren R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Hungarian first
Vina del Mar, Chile
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

I just checked out and had a BAD experience. For starters, staff was unfriendly (not a single smile!). Then came our room (434) which was ok-sized but old and dark. It had a leak from the A/C, walls were thin (I could hear Security people's radios from the other side and kids jumping at 8 am upstairs). The bathroom is the other downturn: the shower has a weird system to turn it on (you have to pull the knob VERY hard... Not suitable for non-wrestlers) and drainage was slow (had to wait 3 mins between showers to use it again). The room doesn't have a closet and the safe is on the floor.

At least the bed was comfy!

P.S: wireless was off all night long!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Roberto S

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Had a Ocean View room which was very nice. Amenities at the hotel are very good, great pool area with easy access to the boardwalk and beach. The Concierge was extremely helpful. Service was friendly and efficient. The hotel is very clean.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank CazzThom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

The reviews I read warned me. Perfect location and service. Had fun at the bar. It is 2012, and WiFi should be easy. Had troubles throughout the stay. I was on business, so it was a big loss. If WiFi is fixed, o would recommend to all. What a cool place!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank carlospncreek
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Spent two nights at this hotel. It is in an excellant position with the boardwalk and beach at the back. Although it does not have balconys the view from the windows overlooking the gardens pool and beach are fine. The hotel is clean has a lovley bar in the foyer which offers a complementary light snack. Meals can also be eaten there. The buffett breakfast is good too.The hotel is in an ideal spot to stroll along the boardwalk which runs paralell with Collins avenue and will lead you to the art deco district and then on to Ocean drive. 'Mangoes' on Ocean drive is not to be missed. We went at lunch time and then again in the evening. The shows performed on the bar are spectacular.

Room Tip: A room at the rear of the hotel is recommended and top floors are best.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jacqui S
Bountiful, Utah, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

I brought my wife, kids, and parents here for some beach fun. We had adjoining rooms facing the ocean and pool (free upgrade, thanks Priority Club!) and enjoyed our stay here very much.

I would have preferred queen beds, but the rooms were a little small already even with full beds.

The entire property is smoke free . Unfortunately not everyone respected that and several foreigners smoked by the pool despite the intentional absence of ashtrays. I wish the hotel would have put some "no smoking" signs around the pool deck. The rent-a-cop security guard spoke limited English and wasn't very interested in asking people to move to the designated smoking area.

Valet parking was prompt and convenient. The front desk gave me free laundry soap since I was a Priority Club member which I thought was a nice touch. The two laundry machines and driers worked great.

We didn't eat in the restaurant but did use the free drink coupons given to us at check-in for some tasty piña coladas at the pool side bar.

The ocean is right behind the boardwalk behind the pool. The beach was lovely.

I would definitely book this property again if going to Miami Beach.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Dallas S
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night in early October 2012. We were staying overnight after our flight to Miami from UK, before going on to the Gulf Coast the following day. When we have stayed over in Miami before, we have used a hotel near the airport but this time we thought it would be nice to visit Miami Beach as we had never been there before.
I wont go into too much about the hotel because I know what to expect when you book on-line and pay $174. You get a fairly tired room, overlooking a roof in an uninspiring hotel. More suited to business than leisure. Wi fi was free but this was the only plus point.
On arrival, we pulled up outside and were confronted with valet parking, even though there is a public carpark opposite. This was not compulsory but we were strongly advised to accept the daily charge of $29.
As usual, we were tired and hungry and our preference would have been a snack rather than ending up in the resaurant with a 3 course meal. We didn't figure it out till it was too late but it would have been far better and much cheaper to have pizza and beer delivered to the room.
Our chances of getting off to sleep that night were ruined by the people in the next room arguing and shouting at the kids in Spanish. The connecting door prevented any sound proofing and I called reception. About an hour later the shouting was still going on, so this time I called reception and did a little shouting of my own. Following that I heard the phone ring next door and we didn't hear another word from our noisy neighbours.
Next morning it was impossible to get the shower working. The maintenance man came in and admitted that you virtually had to pull the thing off the wall to get it going. Dreadful all round.
Concerning breakfast, make sure that you dont get charged twice. We handed over our vouchers only to be presented with a bill at the end of the meal.
When we checked out we were asked "was everything alright?" When I said that it wasn't she said she knew all about it but there was no apology or offer of any kind.
We put it all down to experience and couldn't wait to get on our way. Fortunately the rest of our holiday was just perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a connecting door.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple