“casa hottie”

Casa Grande Suite Hotel of South Beach
Ranked #133 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed June 11, 2009

Just came back from my trip to Miami with my husband. We flew down for a weekend get-away. What a wonderful experience. From the location to the hotel, the couples massage we recieved from julia, to the staff, the food on Ocean drive, just everything! I can't say enough about the hotel! It is not just an ordinary hotel with a room, this is a suite (as a matter of fact, all suites) we stayed in unit 301, which is so great all oceanfront with a ful kitchen and a large living room and dining room area.

Can't wait to go back! Thanks Casa Grande for giving my husband and I a very well needed rest!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Casa Grande Suite Hotel of South Beach

Reviewed June 9, 2009

My Maid-of Honor found a great deal for rooms at the Casa Grande online. I think it ended up being $200/room for two nights. We had a group of eight girls heading down to Miami for my bachelorette party (4 girls in each room). My friends are mostly teachers and nurses, so going for a 5-star suite at the Ritz Carlton was not an option. This was a great, much less expensive option for us but is no more than a 3-star hotel at best. If you can find the same rate we did, its definitely more bang for your buck than any of the fancier hotels in South Beach.

Positives:
- The hotel kindly upgraded one of our rooms to the penthouse (I think its the fifth floor) suite. It was overlooking the back of the hotel (opposite of Ocean Drive) but it has two spacious rooms with queen beds, a large living area and kitchen and a decent bathroom to share. By no means luxiourious, but perfect for us. I would not "pay up" for this suite, as we also saw one of the smaller rooms on the fourth floor with two double beds and it was perfectly fine.
- The hotel has a perfect location for exploring South Beach, right on Ocean Drive and a short cab ride (15 mins) from the airport. We walked everywhere and there are great restaurants and clubs right in that area.
- Beach towels provided at front desk. You sign them out for the day and return them to the hotel when you come in.
- Free delicious oranges in the lobby

Negatives:
- The hotel check-in was extremely slow and the guy at the front desk acted as though he was doing us a favor.
- Decorating is cheap
- Limited service
- Not fit for a romantic weekend in South Beach
- Did not try the spa, but would not given all the other options in the area

Reviewed May 18, 2009

I took a chance at staying at the Casa Grande after reading the other reviews. What I mostly read was people not having rooms available when they were arriving, but I figured that it wasn't a busy weekend (week before Memorial Day) and if they didn't have the room available than I could probably find another hotel nearby, besides, I was able to get a good rate.

Luckily for me they did have the room available and I was able to get an upgrade to a one-bedroom suite (was originally going into a studio). When I arrived, there was nobody at valet for a few minutes and I didn't want to leave my car in front of the hotel without it being attended. I was worried that I would have problems with valet, but it turns out that I didn't need my car until the day I checked out of the hotel. Ronnie checked me into the hotel and he was awesome. He has the best outlook and was always smiling and laughing and seemed to have nothing but positive energy and a great vibe.

The room was great. It was a 1-bedroom apartment! Had a full kitchen, which I didn't use except the refrigerator (who wants to cook when on a minivacation), a living room and bedroom. The room was clean, and the bathroom was very nice. The bed was comfortable but could have used an extra blanket. The housekeepers were friendly even though they didn't speak english and the maintenance guy (don't know his name) during the day was fantastic and friendly when he came to help me with the internet.

Overall, i liked the place a lot. It's right in the middle of South Beach (Ocean Drive) and even though it was loud outside, I was able to sleep in peace and quiet inside.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2009

We went to Casa Grande on a Saturday night for Mother's Day. The room was booked well in advance and was booked with an expectation of an 850 foot King Suite. The internet photos make this place look just AMAZING.

When we got there, we were checked into the smaller suite. Apparently, they decided to downgrade us to the junior suite. The room definitely needed to have the carpet replaced and the room painted. Although the beds were nice, the carpet was disgusting.

As soon as we got there, one of my friends wanted to take a shower. The shower did not work at all and they had to call maintenance. When we asked for a different room, we were told that they were sold out. In other words, too bad, so sad.

We went out for a little while then and came back to get ready. When we got to the room, we realized the overhead lights did not work. When we called the front desk, they told us they hadn't worked in "months" and the owner didn't fix them. Again, too bad, so sad.

As we were getting ready, we were overwhelmed with the smell of cigarette smoke. Apparently, you can smoke in all of the rooms, the hallway and, YES, even the elevator. Even if you smoke, you would be overwhelmed by smoke.

When we checked out in the morning, we found out that this is a condo-hotel and all of the rooms are privately owned. Apparently, our owner doesn't care about anything but making money. To add insult to injury, they charged us an 8.00 resort fee when we checked out. I wonder if that was for the broken lights, broken shower or the overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke.

On a positive note, the spa was wonderful, the beds were comfortable and the place was fairly quiet. Still, we went there for pampering for Mother's Day and were hoping for something that was just a little bit more. That's what the website makes it look like.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Blancheee
Reviewed April 30, 2009

Our rooms were booked 2 months in advance with confirmations. Upon arrival after 14 hours travelling we were greeted by Ronnie on the desk who promptly told us that only two of three rooms were available and they were not of the type we had booked, ( sound familiar ? ). We were told that the two rooms were upgrades and the third room was at a lower grade hotel so our party would be split up. Our upgraded rooms were useless as we had boked rooms with two queen sized beds but ended up with 1 bed and a sofa bed ( very uncomfortable ). We accepted these rooms with no other alternative and on the understanding that 1 nights stay would be re-inbursed for the couple having to stay in a different hotel. Having now returned we have now found that no refund has been issued, ( sounds familiar again ). Also don't understand the resort fee as we moved on to fort lauderdale from here were the hotel was less costly far superior and there was no resort fee. We were visiting Miami beach for an experience. However our experience was all bad. Beware when booking with this hotel. Reading other reviews our situation seems to be a regular occurance.

1  Thank phil_in_hull
CasaGrandeManager834, Manager at Casa Grande Suite Hotel of South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2015

Dear Past Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Casa Grande. I am so sorry you were not accommodated with the apartments you needed to make your stay a comfortable one. I kindly ask should your travels lead you back to South Beach to please reconsider giving us another chance. Contact me directly so I can offer you something special for your stay fiflsteve@aol.com
All the best,
Steven Annicharico
Assistant Manager

Reviewed April 28, 2009

I stayed here with my family during Spring Break. 1st problem-they did not have a room ready for my mom. They said they were short on help adn there was only one maid on duty. So after waiting for about an hour, we cancelled her room and she stayed in the room with me and my husband. 2nd problem-the 1st room they tried to put me in the carpet was filty. I am very particular about my room being clean and I have a pet peave about dirty floors. However, the 2nd room the put me in was okay. There was something sticky on the floor though. I was so frustrated with the hussle and bussle of trying to get a decent room, that I figured it would be better to go ahead and clean the floor with a wet papertowel myself than to wait on the only maid they had. We didn't stay the entire night since we had a long drive ahead of us so I didn't get a chance to see if we would get the fresh oranges they boasted about. Overall, this hotel can use some updating. The carpet in the hallway by the elevators (3rd Floor) was filty. BEWARE every room is not the same so you may have to look at a couple to get a decent one. The location is GREAT but I will not stay here again. Definitely not a 4 or 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2009

I booked months in advance. And then . . .

"Sorry, we don't have 2 queens available, so we upgraded your room to a suite"

"What do you mean? I have my booking confirmation number for 2 queens"

"Sorry"

I was not surprised since I read other reviews about missing reservations here. I was just relieved that we had a room.

Our "room upgrade" was actually a king bed and a sofa bed, facing the ever-so-noisy Ocean Drive.

We did not have a good night's rest . . . any room facing Ocean Drive is noisy and the staff did not tell us this. It would have been helpful.

They switched our room to two queens the next day, but we had to return to the hotel and transfer our belongings. Inconvenience much?

There is NO ventilation in the hotel which meant AC was blasting on us 24/7. The front desk was helpful in getting our taxis and towels, but lacked smiles and knowledge.

We were not given a map nor any helpful information around the hotel.

The room was spacious. The bathroom and mini kitchen were both decent. I liked the fact that we could stock food leftovers and beverages in the fridge.

We were charged a "resort fee" upon check-out, which I don't get, but whatever, not returning here.

2  Thank Betty N