“Vacation Saver, excellent service, advice and support.”

Casa Grande Suite Hotel of South Beach
Ranked #126 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Alexandria, Virginia
“Vacation Saver, excellent service, advice and support.”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

A major hiccup in a trip booked through VRBO caused the owner of the VRBO rental to move us from her (double booked) ocean front suite in the Bentley Hotel to an alley view suite in the Case Grande. On the night before our flight, the VRBO property owner informed us that she had booked a suite at the Casa Grande Hotel. We immediately went to TripAdvisor and were concerned about how our stay would end up after reading the reviews. That being stated, I am now going to give you a play by play of our stay at the Casa Grande Hotel.

My significant other and I arrived on Sunday January 6th 2013 in the early evening. We greeted the desk attendant, Myrveline with a smile and warm welcome. She immediately reciprocated as if we were longtime friends and made us both feel very welcome. After a brief conversation I asked if there were any upgrades available since people watching from a window is extremely challenging when the window faces an alley. Myrveline informed us that the Casa Grande was booked solid for that evening however she would be able to move us to an oceanfront room sometime the next day. Because she could not give an exact time she took my cell phone number so that she could call when our new room was ready. She also informed us that we could store all of our luggage behind the desk while we were out and about. Then she recommended a restaurant, which was very inexpensive and came with very high ratings/reviews online, and it was within walking distance.

Monday January 7th my significant other and I checked out and left our suitcases and a cooler full of food and Ice with the morning desk attendant. He gladly accepted our 4 large bags and cooler and said they’d be waiting for us when we returned. He also reminded me that they were not sure when the person who occupied our future room would check out but ensured us we’d get a call as soon as the room was ready. We left the hotel and went to seaquarium to get soaked by Lolita the killer whale...... (and were very successful....). At some point in time during the wet madness, Myrveline called to tell us our new room was ready however I did not receive the call since I was drenched and my phone was locked away deep in my camera bag. About 30 minutes later Myrveline called again and I heard the phone and answered. Now let me make this clear, she called not once but twice! She also called during a show so I'm sure it was difficult to understand me over all of the sea lion noises and music in the background but she kindly relayed the message and told us the room would be waiting for us when we returned.

When we returned to the hotel we were greeted by Myrveline who seemed excited to give us our new room. Once we entered the new room we found out why she was excited. The view was amazing! The view was better than the VRBO room we had originally booked. Also you could look down and watch the street action from the comfort of your own room, it was perfect. The interior had some minor challenges such as a closet door that easily came off the tracks (but was easily put back on) and the mattress was slightly uneven (legs were very very very slightly elevated) but that wasn't necessarily a not good thing since we did just turn a 12 team member 200 mile Ragnar Relay and elevating your legs reduces inflammation. There was just enough plates and cups to serve about 3 at a time but since there were only two of us, that worked out well. All of the dishes were in great condition. One item that was missing was a cutting board which is probably why the knives were not as sharp as they could have been.After we got settled we went back to the desk to thank Myrveline again but she had gone home for the night and Enrique had taken her place. Enrique was also very nice and offered us passes to the local clubs without us even having to ask and told us a little about the area.

The rest of the days we stayed there were more of the same. Excellent service, frequent inquiries about how our room was and if we needed anything else to make our stay more comfortable. The service and hospitality I received from this hotel ranks higher that the Hilton hotels and Marriott hotels I have stay at in the past. One word of caution, if you like to sleep with the windows open and you go to bed before 3am, expect to hear talking and street music come in through your window. We personally find that relaxing and because of that, we didn’t sleep to music as we usually do but if you want quiet, you probably want to avoid any place that is in the heart of the Miami South Beach strip, but with the noise comes some fantastic people watching!

Valet parking at the hotel is 25 dollars a day. This allows you to come and go as you please. At first this may sound steep but the parking garages in the area are a flat rate of 20 dollars per 12 hours and the garages are about 3 blocks away. So if you come and go just twice in the parking garages, you will pay 40 dollars in parking.

I did ask the hotel staff about the reviews on TripAdvisor and from what I gathered, it appeared that guest came into the hotel with a not good attitude. The world tends to be a mirror and will reflect back what you display to that mirror. So maybe (just maybe) if those people came into the hotel expecting the best and being friendly about it, they would have received the best.

Overall this hotel met my expectations (because I expected the best) and we definitely got the best. I will definitely stay here again.

I also wanted to thank Myrveline one more time because she really made our hotel stay a truly exceptional experience.

Room Tip: 1. Rooms located on the 3rd floor and above have no A/C noise 2. Rooms located on the 3rd floor and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We checked in for two nights through Bookit and had to be moved from the first room we were given (406). The carpets were dirty, dirty, dirty, stains everywhere. The furniture was from the 1970's with cigarette burns and all. We would not stay in that room and asked for another. We got 306. Had to wait for the cleaning lady to finish cleaning and saw that they do not have a vacuum but sweep the carpet with a broom, doesn't that make you want to take your shoes off!!!!. Tile in the bathroom which should be been white was dirty brown. There was no alarm clock and the sheets on the bed looked like they had been taken out of a bag, so wrinkled we were very nervous about sleeping in the bed. Because we had made our reservation through Bookit which described this as a luxurious hotel we could not get our money back and had to make the best of it. The resort fee was a total rip off. The pictures are very misleading. If you have a choice do not stay here!!!!!!

Room Tip: Nothing good to say from what we experienced
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank twotravellers1234
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed December 13, 2012

You know you've made a terrible choice in a hotel when they conviently state on a small plaque by the front desk their hidden 'resort fee' of $25.
The plaque states its to cover the cost of; coffee, cookies, oranges, beach towel, local phone calls and wireless.
Realistically there is a beaten up catering coffe urn in the lobby along with 2 corner store bought cookies, 1 sad looking orange( isn't Florida the orange state?) no beach towels to be found and no wireless in the rooms.
On our second day they agreed to let us move rooms because of their wireless issues(still had problems with it in the new room)and lack of hot water when we both took a shower but not before the General Manager, Marissa Torchio, was prepared to kick us out when I complained that our 'resort fee' should be waved as they couldn't offer the services they state on the plaque that it covers.
Maybe they should spend the 'resort fee' on the resort and get a new router and hot water tanks!

8 Thank Danielle P
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

Went to Casa Grande Suite Hotel, right on South Beach, during my business trip to Miami Basel. Literally 10 steps to the beach!! It's not the fanciest hotel but you get what you pay for. Rooms are large; I had a 2 bdrm suite, with full bath, kitchen, living room and HUGE balcony, perfect for sunbathing or relaxing. I would suggest a party of 4 or more to stay here, it's like your very own apartment on the beach. Near groceries, restaurants and shops.
Ocean Drive is pretty busy so be sure to walk on the sidewalk closest to the beach unless you want pushy reataurant hostesses trying to sell you their happy hours etc one after another.

PROS:
-convenient location
-valet
-responsive staff
-clean rooms
-cable tv
-huge spacious balcony
-full kitchen

CONS:
-one elevator
-no breakfast

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 6, 2012

As this was our first trip to Miami and after reading so much about South Beach, we decided to stay at a place where the action were. There were many hotels to choose but because we only had 3 nights to stay, we just picked one that is so called reasonable priced hotel to stay.

We arrived in South Beach after a 5hr drive from Orlando and could not checked in as the room was not ready yet and told to come back at 4pm which was fine by us as we had some problems with the car rental company to settle anyway.

We came back to the hotel at about 4.30pm and our room was ready for check in. We were given a room that faces the wall of the next building. Now for the review of the room.

1. The room that comes with the kitchen facilities sorely lacked the facilities..no pot was given, no kitchen cloth to use to clean up the kitchen after cooking.

2. To pay USD$25 per day (resort charge) is really expensive and some more it is compulsory to pay but pay for what kind of service?

3. I booked this room thru Expedia but after listening to a conversation at the reception, i think if you decide to stay in South Beach and it is not a peak season, you can get a better rate by calling direct to the hotel than going thru a 3rd party. I paid SDG$636 for 3 days and the rate that the reception can offer was SDG$175 per day.

Overall, the hotel is in a great location but now that I have been there, I will not stay at Collins ave and instead will stay in other streets that might save you the hassle of traffic jams and expensive hotel stays.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank janeteu
NY
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Do not listen to the reviews the people write that is negative. This hotel is located right in the middle of Ocean Drive. We just came back from a weekend stay and I have nothing but positive things to say. I clearly saw on my bookit confirmation the terms and conditions that said the hotel charged an extra person fee, a resort fee, security deposit of 150 per night and IF I used valet there would be a charge. As a matter of fact, I could not book this hotel unless I accepted these terms. So we were well aware of this and prepared at the time of check in. If people do not read the terms and conditions that is there problem. How can you blame the staff and try to slam the hotel over that? Anyhow, besides those fees mentioned the hotel is great. We stayed in apartment 409 and it was very comfortable for the 4 of us and we had a really great experience. Especially with the help of Ronnie at the Front Desk he went above and beyond to help us in everything we requested from taxi to sightseeing tours.
Casa Grande for making this vacation a trip i will never forget
David Di Bella & Family

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank David D
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We bought a deal with this hotel on Living social two months ago and before booking a room we even called the hotel to confirm that they have a room that would suit this deal. They assured us that it's all fine. The day before we were supposed to check in they called to inform us that our reservation was cancelled for some lame reason! What kind of service is that??

4 Thank SvetaLG