“Perfcet for Cuban food”
Review of 1826 Restaurant and Lounge - CLOSED

1826 Restaurant and Lounge
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Situated on Collins Avenue at the bustling center of South Beach, 1826 Restaurant & Lounge offers contemporary American cuisine with a focus on elegant dishes in a stylishly modern setting.
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Not too expensive! Exactly what we had in mind. Delicious local flavors! I had a garlic shrimp, my friends had poirk and fish. All perfectly prepared. Fast servise

Reviewed July 23, 2014

The idea of the restaurant is to provide a tasting experience, therefore small sized portions are available so we can taste a little bit of the menu options. Just loved it. You eat a little bit of each plate without becoming bloated. The veggie spread is delicious is was the shrimp. However, the dessert (almond something...), although ok, was not as delicious.

1  Thank MaMMJ
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Our best meal at SoBe. We had tapas dishes including avocado, duck, chicken and burrato cheese. All were delicious and I especially recommend the meat dishes.

My only dislikes:
- Mandated service charge. Sorry, this is what prevents an Excellent rating, despite the service being great (and I would have tipped anyway...)
- Later on in the evening it changed from a classy restaurant to more like something you'd see from E! with wannabes from a particular family reality show walking around, being loud, showing off etc. Just to be aware that you'll cross these types the later you eat, with everyone showing off their handbags, ferrari vs porsche car keys on the table etc etc.

We were celebrating a special occasion and the staff went out of their way to congratulate including a message on the dessert - many thanks this is great service.

1  Thank p0lak
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Okay...I don't know where to begin. I had seen this glass structure on Collins for quite some time and was always wondering what would occupy this beautiful structure on 18th and Collins avenue.

About a year later, I saw on various social media "1826". I asked some friends where that was and they informed me 1826 Collins. I still didn't put two and two together but when a girlfriend of mine wanted to check out the restaurant called 1826, we were pleasantly surprised. I finally got to see what fulfilled the 3 floor glass stand alone structure on Collins.

The ambiance is magnificent. I'm very used to the plush white leather furniture and South Beach gold digging scene which quite frankly I am sick of. This scene and decor completely remind me of major cities like New York. The rustic modern yet elegant feel really surprised me. The crowd did as well. Everyone was pretty attractive and well dressed. No they weren't wearing dresses that were so short that when they bend over you get a free show...they were dressed very chic. Our waiter Fabiano was awesome. It is very rare that I am treated to great service in Miami let alone Miami Beach but he was a pleasant surprise. I had the Sav. Blanc (the $14 a glass wine which was reasonably priced) and my girlfriend had the Rioja. The wine was great and they even brought over a little stool for her purse so that it would not get dirty on the floor. Nice little touch.

Two types of bread came, one with bacon and one regular. Also two types of spread came, butter and a roasted vegetable spread. I was hesitant to try the vegetable spread as I generally do not like anything except for butter or oil with my bread but I decided to give it a try and it was delicious.

For starters we had the tuna tartare with tapioca chips. It came with edible flowers and had a wonderful presentation (see photos). I'm generally not a fan of tuna and rarely try/eat it but it was so well presented that I decided to give it a try. It was really good. Very light and refreshing.

Now let me brace you for my main course...I am a pasta junkie... Like it could be worse than a drug addiction (ok I'm joking but I'm not). I could bathe in a tub of pasta I love it that much but then my brain kicks in and I realize that I would gain 500 lbs so I try to limit this pasta intake. Ok so anyways, they had a pasta on the menu with scallop dumplings and lobster. What?! I had him repeat it like 5 times. Am I in heaven? I thought. Like seriously...dumplings? Pasta? My head was spinning just thinking about it and almost exploded when I took my first bite. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH $#*&! I was so tempted to just pick the plate up and lick it clean but then again, I thought okay Melanie pace yourself. It was honestly the best pasta that I've ever had in my life. Seriously. Wow. If you dine at 1826 and do NOT get this heavenly dish, I feel bad for you. You will miss out on the most amazing pasta dish, ever. It was also a perfect proportion. I hate getting presented with a HUGE plate of pasta because like I stated already, I love pasta and I WILL eat the whole thing. No bueno. This was perfect. The portions are smaller at this restaurant and made for sharing but I did NOT share this pasta (okay one bite).

After dinner, we had a drink upstairs at the lounge but it wasn't that busy because it was still very early. It was great because we were able to just relax with a cool glass of wine with a nice view of Collins avenue. The staff seemed very eager and happy to help and even when I was browsing the menu in the restaurant the gentleman who poured our water (and was not our waiter) gushed about his favorite dishes. It's that kind of passion that is generally lacking in the Miami service industry. It restored my faith in Miami service!

I cannot wait to return! I am already dreaming of the pasta.

1  Thank Melaniethefoodie
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We went to 1826 Collins on a Thursday night and it was quiet. We were nicely greeted at the front door and taken to the second floor to the main dining room.

Our server explained to us that between 3 and 4 dishes should be enough but if we wanted to order as we went along it was fine which was good advice. I thought the menu was slightly limited.

We had the Wild Morel Mushroom Ragout ($18) to start followed by the Slow Roasted Lamb Loin ($27) and Grilled Short Rib ($29) with potato puree and it was plentiful.

All the dishes were very rich but my favourite was the Lamb Loin. Presentation was excellent.

Service was good but the music was way too loud for the main dining room on the second floor. It was loud enough for it to be distorting coming out of the speaker which was not good.

There is also a little balcony looking out onto Collins Avenue for those who smoke or want some air.

After our food we went to the upstairs bar. It had a nice decor but it was pretty empty at 10pm so we didn't stay there. I would go back to try the bar at a busier time as it looked very trendy.

I have to admit to being a little tired when we went here so on another day it may have had 5 stars.