“Wonderful hotel, fabulous service”

COMO Metropolitan Miami Beach
Ranked #4 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
“Wonderful hotel, fabulous service”
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had prepaid for 7 nights in another hotel on Ocean Drive but checked out after 3 nights due to the excessive noise and moved to Metropolitan by Como for our final 4 nights. This decision was the best one we made as it transformed our vacation.

From the moment we arrived, the staff could not have been more helpful. Polite, friendly, smiling faces, respectful, conversational but not overly familiar if you know what I mean. Perfect balance. The entire hotel is nicely fragranced and overall has a calm ambience. The rooms were very clean, the bed was firm, the bedding of good quality and ours had a balcony that overlooked the ocean. Apart from the staff, the best aspects of the hotel are the pool area and private beach access. We spent most of our time going from the beach to the pool and back to the sunbed - tough choices! Lunch by the pool side is great - I recommend the burger and the pizza. There are limitless cups of fruit infused water and nuts available at no cost. On the rooftop there is a hydrotherapy pool overlooking the ocean, a very effective steam room and 'tropical' showers.

The hotel had only been open a few weeks when we arrived but if they can maintain these standards, it will be a massive success. The only negative I can think of is that there could be more food options for vegetarians (my wife being veggie found it a little limiting) and perhaps slightly bigger breakfast portions but that is being very picky and no different to other restaurants we tried out on Miami beach.

If you like a more boutique feel, a quieter location and fantastic service, this will suit you 100%. Well done Como, keep it up! My wife and I are missing it already and hope we can make it out there again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vikram A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
cpb82
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Just got back from our trip to Miami Beach, so and thought I would write a review about our stay. The hotel is beautiful and the pool is to die for... spent most of our time sipping on cold drinks by the pool. There are a few things that bothered us a little. First off, our room was not cleaned for about 2 days. We had the "C" out on our room and nobody bothered to come in and clean it. We went to the front desk to let them know and they serviced our room immediately. Another things I think that should be offered is a drink menu by the pool. They offered drinks, but I am not familiar with many cocktails, so some choices would have been nice. Lastly, on the website, there was a beautiful picture of a juice bar on the roof. We ventured upstairs to try it out... but there was NO juice bar. I'd say that is false advertising. We would stay there again, but we would hope that those kinks would be worked out.

Montego Bay, Jamaica
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I was able to get in on the "grand opening offer rate" - $215/night which a was a great deal! The prices are now double that.

Positives
Location - if you are like me, and like the quiet but easy access to the action by a 10 minute walk boardwalk is nice and safe. Then the location is perfect. It has direct beach access as well from the rear of the hotel.

Rooms - brand new, even smell new:) amazing decor, clean lines and fresh. Decent size rooms, that are also quiet - no exterior noises from the street or other rooms. Bathroom could have a counter top for the ladies who have stuff. Toiletries are their original como shambala and are very luxurious. I bought a set from the spa before I left - they were so good

Did not plan on eating there, because so may great options in southbeach, but, the breakfast was good! Fresh tasty pastries and omelette, freshly squeezed orange juice. Service in the restaurant was a bit hiccupy - but I imagine will sort out over time

Overall a great experience and I would stay there again! And try the spa!

Room Tip: I got a basic room on the corner and low floor and it was great, so I imagine the others are better...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Mobaychic
Javier B, Manager at COMO Metropolitan Miami Beach, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Mobaychic,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a glowing review following your stay with us. Design is a key pillar found throughout COMO Hotels & Resorts properties worldwide and that is no different here. I am glad you were able to enjoy. The portion of our beach is different from any other part of Miami Beach and glad you were able to experience first hand.

I will follow up with our restaurant team regarding your notes concerning the service. Constant training has been essential to get us to the level where we are, and I greatly appreciate you pointing out an area that may need additional assistance.

Do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of assistance with any future reservations.

All the best,

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I recently spent 2 nights here. What a great find through our Hotel Tonight app! The entire staff treated us like we were someone special. We have never had so much personal attention. We loved the breakfast and Nancy spent a lot of time talking to us. Through our conversation we happened to mention that we were celebrating our anniversary and she had a cake made for us! We spent one entire day relaxing by the pool and the pool staff was just as friendly and attentive. Diego handled our check in and arranged transportation for us to see a Marlins game. Be prepared for above normal prices for the food purchases. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived so we had lunch at the pool bar. We both ordered the lobster roll sandwich that came with plantain chips. He had a bloody mary and I had a glass of iced tea and our bill was over $80, before tip. Breakfast at the Met was enjoyable but be prepared to pay $6.00 for the French press coffee which was very good but we both had a second serving which came to a total of $24.00. In conclusion the location gives you relaxing serenity as well as the proximity to all the things South Beach has to offer. This will be a must stay again in our future

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We've had some great hotel experiences, but it will be hard to beat this one. If you want to feel pampered, this is the hotel for you. The staff is top notch. Everyone from the front desk to pool side went the extra mile to make our trip special. The property is gorgeous. The food is excellent,

Special thanks to Nancy, Leticia, Justin, Paul, Kevin, Toby, Richardo and Javier for making us feel so welcome and making this short vacation one to remember!

1 Thank BiskitOhio
Dear BiskitOhio,

On behalf of our entire team, we greatly enjoyed having you on property and greatly look forward to your return. Our opening has been tremendously exciting for all of us and glad you were able to partake in the experience. The enjoyment of your vacation is of utmost importance to us and glad to hear you managed to enjoy every minute.

I have passed along your kind remarks to each team member you mentioned -- I couldn't be more proud of each one.

Many thanks,

Madrid
Reviewed April 17, 2014

A totally refurbished Art Deco Hotel.
The rooms were very comfortable. TV had plenty of channels. Toilettries and the bathrobe were excellent!
Close to the center, calm and in the beach front. The swinmming pool was excellent too. Great food served.
The staff was very helpful and friendly.
We will repeat!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear dittohr,

Thank you for your kind remarks following your recent stay with us. We take great care in our amenities and the little details that make a difference in your overall experience. I am glad you were able to enjoy. The swimming pool and cuisine both happen to be some of my favorite aspects of our property.

Look forward to personally welcoming you back on your next visit.

All the best,

Westchester County, NY
Reviewed April 15, 2014

In general, Sobe hotels are not that great. They spend all their attention on public spaces, but no left over for good service or rooms. And prices are very, very high.
Our one night was just as expensive. I booked this property over the Ritz because of a feature in the NYT praising the service. The service was indeed impeccable. Everyone from valet to bellmen, to the front desk to the beach staff was fantastic. Just lovely. My room was not ready upon my arrival so I went straight to the beach. Their section of the beach is fantastic - not all crowded. The lounge chairs are cushioned and comfy and the towels are plush. My beach-side lunch was very good. Gio and Domi provided excellent service. The $25 charge for an umbrella was irritating, however.
I was upgraded to "lakeview" suite. The suite is a good size but I was underwhelmed. The building is a lovely Art Deco building but the low ceilings and lime green walls didn't say "relax" to me. The living room furniture looked like cute but uncomfortable late Deco (1940s) patio furniture. I would have stayed in the room, but I was worried about noise from Collins Avenue. I switched to back regular balcony room. Just as kitschy but did not face Collins Avenue. Instead it faced the condo next door. That's city living for you. However, the next morning I could angle my chair and get a great view of the ocean from my balcony. I'm not a kid, and I'm not interested in hipness or cuteness for the sake of it. I need cleanliness, comfortable and above a certain price point (certainly at this price point), luxuriousness. I think the room should be re-done in a more elegant, less cutesy-kitschy style.
I did like the location - a little north of the madness.

My kids did not accompany me for this part of our trip and this is not place for them. This is a place for grown-ups.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Javier B, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Miami Beach, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear denany,

Pleasure having you stay with us during your recent visit. I greatly appreciate you sharing your feedback with us so that we can use this to improve in certain areas. We take great pride in our hiring and training with each team member and I am glad to hear thatt you were able to enjoy your interactions with them. We also enjoy our nickname as the "cocoon" on Miami Beach as we are far quieter and off the beaten path, while remaining within walking distance to all that Miami Beach has to offer. Our beach is a perfect example of this.

As for the additional charge for the umbrella, this is only true on the beach where we work with a third party vendor that operates most locations on the beach. We cover the cost of the chair service, but leave the option of the umbrella up to the guest. We are currently working on a package that will make these services inclusive in your rate. Our team recalls your visit and I know tried to do everything in our power to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Gio and Domi both greatly appreciated your kind remarks.

On behalf of our entire team, we look forward to your return.

Warm Regards,