“Hidden gem in Miami Beach with AWESOME suites, incredible location!”

Z Ocean Hotel South Beach
Ranked #12 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California
“Hidden gem in Miami Beach with AWESOME suites, incredible location!”
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Ok, WOW was the first word that came to me when I entered my suite at the Z Ocean. If you haven't considered this hotel, you need to. First, the location coudn't be better...you are in the heart of South Beach without being in the loud booming noise of restaurant row. I've stayed in hotels right on the restaurant stretch and will not do it again unless I don't plan to go to sleep until after 1am every night. But the Z Ocean is just on the very edge so you are literally steps from the ocean, steps from the restaurants and shops. It's the closest you can get to the best that South Beach has to offer without having to be IN the chaos. Second, I doubt you can find a better suite in South Beach without paying an unbelievable amount. The rooms are all suites and my suite had a rooftop jacuzzi! That's right!!!! Outside on the patio was a spiral staircase that led up to a private rooftop party area complete with PRIVATE jacuzzi, dining area and lounge area. Every room on the penthouse floor gets this! The rooms themselves are also very cool because they have two flat screen TV's, wet bar, his and hers bathroom areas, separate living area... it was just very spacious, contemporary and beautiful. Oh, and they had a very interesting box bedside that you could purchase that had some sexy romantic items in it. VERY COOL!!! You must check it out. I love this place and the staff is terrific, too!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We were very happy with our room,the showers were amazing.We spent the extra and got the room eith the rooftop spa pool,it was well worth it.We had a great time at the hotel and would stay again,

1 Thank Jennie078
Miami
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I actually found this location last second on tripadvisor and boy am I glad I spent extra time here before I chose a different hotel.My girl and I celebrated our 6 year anniversary and because it was last minute getaway we only stayed one night. We did not leave the building but once and that was to go around the corner for some wings. I hav a birthday coming up in november and hers in december so we wll be back for 3-4days same spot and hopefully same room. What pushed it to the amazing description was the Partial Ocean view from the rooftop, it was private, romantic, and included nightlight, beach breeze and private jacuzzi. The only reason why its not a prfect rating was bcause we stayed one night only,, but that wont happen again-Cliff n Erica

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We stayed at this location for four nights on an extended weekend getaway.

The location was easily found by our GPS and the hotel in the heart of the action of South Beach, on Ocean Drive, just minutes walk to Lincoln Road Shops, Spanish Quarter, clubs, and dining options. The main entrance is on Collins with a back entrance on Ocean Drive. The valet was always very prompt and courteous, but the valet charge is quite a bit more than nearby self parking options. Given parking was at a premium over the holiday weekend we felt it best to use the valet. Check in was quick and efficient.

There is a small but nicely decorated lobby with a small front desk. Also on the first floor is the restaurant and a bar. We did not try either of these as there were so many options in the area. The bar was always empty. They have a small yet nicely equipped exercise room on the first floor as well, but I can not see wanting to use it given is open air....I would imagine too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. With the promenade along Ocean Drive, just go out for a nice run like I did. They do not have a business center but will print items for you at the front desk. The hotel has a daily charge for internet, but in our opinion there is no reason to pay for internet. They kindly provided us with free internet access as a Platinum Priority Club member, (though we did not learn of that till the second day when we were given a pass code) but there is also free wifi available all over Miami Beach granted after a one minute login process. Both the hotel access and the free Miami Beach access were of good speed.

Initially on booking we were concerned that the hotel pool was rather small, but even on this sold out holiday weekend we were always able to find loungers easily at the pool. They have a pool attendant who quickly clears up any towels left behind by others and ensure that there is no staking out of loungers all day. There is also food and drink service available at the pool. The beach chairs included in your resort fee (yes I hate resort fees....but that is another story) are on the beach front about 3 minute walk from the hotel. The only negative is that the beach side chairs are not set up at opening time and the staff (third party company) is not very fast about setting them up. You get beach towels at the front desk before walking over to the beach. The beach chairs are only available till 5 pm and the hotel pool closes at 7 pm. I think the pool should be open later in the evening.

The staff at the hotel was excellent. When we called down to ask for a second lounger for our balcony the hotel happily obliged and had one up to our room within minutes. Housekeeping was always prompt and made up the room twice per day. If you called down and asked for them to refresh at a particular time they were always helpful. The hotel has electronic do not disturb / please make up room signs.

Our room was on the second floor. At first we were apprehensive of being on a low floor but it turned out that they were spot on in putting us on that floor. They offered us an upgrade to a poolside room (which would give you access to the pool and hot tub after hours) but we decided that we would prefer a balcony that is not part of the pool deck. The room they gave us overlooked Ocean Drive and was a great place to have a cocktail and do some people watching. There was absolutely no traffic or noise from the revelers through the excellent thick glass windows lining the balcony. The pool is located on the second floor so we were about 5 doors down from the pool, yet had the benefit of our room having a balcony overlooking Ocean drive - perfect! The balcony is equipped with a round dining table, two chairs, and one lounger. (but had plenty of room for the second one we asked for.) I would not want one of the rooms on Collins or 15th. I think that the rooms on Ocean or the Rooftop Spa Suites would be best.

The rooms are exactly as described on the hotel website and nicely decorated plenty of storage and a nice bed. The rooms have two HDTV's, a surround surround sound system, and a speaker system in the bathroom. Unfortunately there were no audio jacks to connect your MP3 player. There is a sitting area with a love seat (becomes a one person sleeper), high back chair, and coffee table. There is also safe, wet bar, microwave, cocktail glasses, and cooler. The cooler was plenty sufficient to keep our drinks and a snack cool. There is no real work desk in the room, but given this hotel is not really set up as a business hotel, rather a boutique leisure travel hotel that makes sense. You can work on the table on the balcony. The climate control works well and you can leave the blower motor on for white noise while the climate control is still functioning. The AC shuts off when the balcony door is open but that is fully understandable. The room had no discernable noise from nearby rooms.

The bathrooms are very nice, with two separate sink rooms, (his and hers) separated by the toilet. (doors between each section) The shower is in the right hand side and is a large walk in shower, with a bench, rain shower, side jets, and traditional shower head. Awesome Shower! The floor tended to fill with water a bit with all the shower heads on but not badly. They provide Aveda products in the bathroom and a traditional blow dryer which beats the wall mounted hotel type any time.

For some good breakfast head a couple of blocks down Ocean to Front Porch Cafe. Front Porch also has great happy hour cocktails. Jerry's Deli across the street from the main entrance is open 24/7 and has a full menu, bar, and take out. (We grabbed drinks, pastries, and desserts there a few times) There is a Walgreens a few blocks down the street so you can buy some drinks and snacks as well as a Liquor store so you can buy mixers for your room. There are so many other good dining options available you can read Yelp or Trip Advisor for those reviews. (To avoid the scam tourist traps!)

All in all a great stay at a great hotel.....if we are in the area again we would absolutely stay here! You can not go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank pcsanity
New Delhi
Reviewed June 26, 2010

A real great place to stay if you are planning a trip to South Beach

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SoumyaM
Clearwater
Reviewed June 26, 2010

So the best thing about this was the rooftop Jacuzzi. Penthouse 12 is the best room - we looked at others. The rooms are small but cozy - only a bar with stools and a love seat for sitting though. There are NO refrigerators in the rooms - only coolers - two of them?? Maybe one cooler and one refrigerator would have been smarter! There is one on the rooftop though. But who wants to store their drinks up there and go get them every time! The bed is AWESOME... slept like a baby! The bathrooms were also very nice. The rooftop Jacuzzi was our favorite place to be. There was a great breeze coming off the Atlantic that helped keep the temp down. The staff was quick to set it up for you. However they don't clean up until housekeeping comes by. Well, we didn't want housekeeping at all for our 2 days - why waste the towels. Had to request them to come clean up twice. The front desk also kept telling me that we had a speaker system on the roof which we did not – even sent engineering up to show me! There wasn’t one… the guy said the one in our room was removed for trouble 6 months ago and never reinstalled. We ordered breakfast - ONCE ! Two items were ordered - one for $16 and one for $18. The food came quick, quantity was low but quality was good. The girl taking the order didn't understand the menu though and I had to explain what was supposed to come with the "American" on the menu. I also had to request they come pick up the plates again that would normally be done when housekeeping came through. The BIG HUGE issue was on my itemized bill. I can’t warn you enough on this one, read it very, very carefully. We were charged four (4) times for our breakfast – including the gratutity!!! My last night there, they guy in the room next to us had a party. It started around 4 pm. There were about 25 people on the rooftop balcony area. We dealt with the music and noise for a little while, I called the desk and they assured me that they would be out by sun down. The noise level wasn’t too bad… we could still hear each other talking. They around 8 pm they cranked the music because they couldn’t hear it – over their own talking levels. That lasted about 15 minutes before I called the desk again. The woman said they had already had 2 other complaints and security was on the way up. When I returned to the rooftop (no phone up there which is stupid too) my boyfriend was trying to get the attention of someone in the other room because now the music was so loud they were yelling to talk to each other. Some drunk guy responded to him finally and said we could f’ off because they paid for their room (like we didn’t). All of a sudden everyone left and we went back to quite. I went back to the room a short time later for something and the phone was ringing. It was the front desk. I’m assuming they are going to apologize and tell me all will be ok – no she is telling me that there is no music or speakers next door and that I must have been mistaken. ????? I told her again what was going on then told her what my boyfriend had encountered. She again told me there was no music playing when security arrived so I must have mistaken what I heard. She also told me that it wasn’t appreciated that we were yelling at the people in the room next to us and causing a scene!?!?! I told her we had to yell because they couldn’t hear us over the music. She told me there was no music. I hung up irritated at being called a liar at least 4 times in the call. When I returned to the roof, the “owner” of the room next door was talking to my boyfriend and apologizing for playing the music so loud. Hmmm.. what music?? LOL!! I spoke to the manager the day we checked out regarding my treatment and the whole issue and she apologized but again stated I must have misunderstood the situation. Whatever! Overall the best part was the bed and the Jacuzzi… the staff needs help!

2 Thank Brooksie2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed June 9, 2010

We searched long and hard online looking for an above average (4 or 5 star) 'Ocean Drive' location hotel and decided on spending one night at the Z Ocean Hotel and one at the Tides. Overall I'd give the 'Z' a 7 or maybe a possible 8 out of 10.
Things we liked: the room itself was very funky and unusual and well equipped and we opted for a balcony room with the spiral staircase going to our own PRIVATE roof-top sunbathing area including a wet bar and private jacuzzi!! You'll no doubt read that several people talk about how 'wonderful' the shower in the bathroom is, and they're right, it truly is an amazing experience! The location is awesome, just close enough to the lively nightlife but far enough away that you can get some good shut-eye without that thudding beat all night long! The breakfast here was expensive but also very good. Things we didn't like: The entrance is off Collins Ave, not Ocean Drive, so the first impression is "are you kidding me?? I paid all this price for this???". The staff were 'okay' but just okay. I expected more for the price I paid. The bar was closed when we were there (a Thursday nite) which quite surprised me as it looked like a luxurious place to sink a few martinis. Oh well, their loss. The pool is small but cute. Would I stay here again? Maybe, but only with a private rooftop room.

1 Thank Colin C