“Great hotel - Would go again!”

Z Ocean Hotel South Beach
Ranked #8 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
's Heerenhoek (NL)
“Great hotel - Would go again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2009

The hotel has a great location when visiting Miami beach: you are right in the middle of all the action at ocean drive and on a walking distance from Lincoln road with dining and shops. The rooms are fabulous, we had a room at pool level. The rooms are great, spacious and have a separate sitting area, 2 flat screen tv's, a large massage shower, and a very comfortable bed. The room we were in was also very quiet. If there is one negative point about the hotel: dont go there for the breakfast as it in really nothing special. At last we had fruit and a croissant delivered to our room and that was a lot better than wat we were offered at the restaurant.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Claudia0468, Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, June 30, 2009
Thank you for your feedback and for recommending our property for your stay! We will share your feedback with the restaurant; they are well known for the excellent food and I am positive they will want to ensure all our guests are completely satisfied! We hope you return to South Beach as your favorite destination and that you choose our property once again for your stay real soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
nashville, Tn
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

We have driven by this hotel many times on our frequent (2 or 3 times a year) trips to South Beach. We have always stayed at moderately priced hotels and thought this time we would step it up a notch. Our attitude has always been that with lower priced hotels you get what you pay for, so we never really complained. But paying almost $300 a night for a hotel is a lot of money. With that kind of money, we expected much better service. We were sorely disappointed. The disappointment started the moment the front desk clerk opened his mouth. They had our rate wrong ($100 more per night) in their system. We knew what rate we were quoted because we had to pay one night in advance. We had to argue with the desk for about 30 minutes before getting our room. The room itself was great. Although I am not sure why they have a kitchenette with only 2 spoons as utensils???, no plates to speak of, no refrigerator except the one with the way over-priced honor bar stuff. They also have no hooks in the bathroom to hang towels on, very strange. The pool area was great, but with our room directly off the pool, we had to fend off other hotel guests from using our patio, it would be nice if the hotel provided signage stating these patios belong to the guests of a room (it should be obvious, but I guess its not). Our phones did not work properly in the room. The cordless phone's battery lasted about 5 minutes then would go dead. The corded phone didn't work at all. We called the front desk on the 2nd day of our visit and asked for the manager. The front desk clerk impersonated the manager. We had a question that he couldn't help with which was strange. he said he would call us back with an answer later. About 3 hours later we called back and actually got the manager. We explained our situation to her. She made a lot of excuses. They finally gave us a discount on our room as compensation for their lousy customer service. We really didn't want any compensation, we wanted what we paid for, which is proper customer service, not an arguement. (Which is hard to find in Miami Beach in general) I guess we would be better off staying at the less expensive hotels. At least we know not to expect more of them. We would also say that the hotel staff need to keep the pool area patrolled better than they do to prevent families of 10 or more (with children present) from smoking pot and screaming to the top of their lungs. (this deters the enjoyment of the pool area for others)

1 Thank billy8271
Claudia0468, Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, June 17, 2009
Thank you for your comments. You have some great suggestions such as the one of the pool patios which we will implement immediately. We are also constantly reinforcing our standards to ensure customer service training is always up to the highest expectations. We do have 24 security patrolling our property and would not allow any misbehavior especially in public areas. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience; we pride ourselves in being one of the top properties in South Beach and hope you allow us the opportunity to ensure your next stay exceeds your expectations.
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

First off this hotel was great, the room was beautiful and really clean. The ladies who clean the room really go all out and do a great job. Unfortunately there are some very disappointing aspects to this hotel. First of all the only option there is valet parking and when I asked the Valet man how much it is per day he ignored me the question and told me that "I do not have to pay until check out", the few times that I did use my car the valet people were not friendly at all and literally WALKED and took their time getting my car. Upon checking out I got the bill for valet which totals $58 PER DAY!!! FOR THREE DAYS MY TOTAL WAS $174 JUST FOR PARKING!!! Next, when checking in they ask for your credit card to hold for any incidentals but, they do not tell you how much they hold until you are signing the reciept, where I realized the hotel HOLDS $150 PER NIGHT!! The other problem was there is no room really no room service there like the hotel says. The hotel has a resturant in it that u can order food from but this resturant is only open from 8am to 11pm, and when I tried to order food at 10:30pm they told me the kitchen was already closed. I was disapointed because I felt tricked when I got the bill for my stay, and the staff was very sneaky when telling you the price of things; they would make sure to tell you after they already took your credit card. Also when asking the girls at the front desk for information on jet ski rental places close by they were rude and acted as if I was bothering them. They did nothing to help and told me they "really did not know any places close by. This hotel is great and I loved the room but the service was really lacking! I will not stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. We are truly sorry you had that experience while staying on property. We do charge for valet parking as do all our competitors on the beach; however, it is at $32 per night as per our web; please do contact our offices and we will review your account with any discrepancy to ensure accuracy. I have shared your comments with the valet company, although an outside vendor, they are an extension of the hotel and we will ensure this is not a common occurrence. We do hope we get the opportunity to rectify your experience and that you allow us one time to ensure your stay is most pleasant!
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2009

My husband and I originally stayed here (when it was called the De Soleil) for several days during the Winter Music Conference. If you want to stay in the center of it all, this location is perfect. It's right on the corner of 14th street and Collins avenue, close to Lincoln Road, beach, shops, restaurants, bars, clubs and etc. We did not even need to rent a car because we were within walking distance to everything.

We stayed in the Spa Suite, which was our favorite room for privacy (we saw them all).
It has an oversized balcony that overlooks Collins Avenue with a 4 person roman hot tub, 4 chairs, two tables and two long chairs. There's a curtain that closes off the entire balcony for privacy or you can leave it open for a great tan. The bathroom has two parts, two sinks and an oversized shower with a seat that is enclosed in glass. the shower is a great experience with 4 jets, rain bath and a shower hose (it feels like a car wash for the body). The bedding was soft, clean and better than home. The couch was just as comfortable. The kitchenette has a sink, 2stools, countertop, small icebox, cappuccino machine, mugs, glasses, plates and silverware. There are two TVs, DVDs and a great surround sound for listening to them or playing music. Staff will bring you new clean robes and slippers as many times as needed and they clean the rooms so thoroughly. I always came back to find Belgium chocolates waiting for me on my bed, complements of the housekeeping staff. The staff there was extremely friendly and assisted me with all my needs.

While I was in South Beach, I went to see a timeshare property and the Z Ocean Hotel far surpassed that property. I would rather stay at this hotel than anywhere else in the future. The pool was clean and nice, including the outdoor hot tub. The food was excellent. The beach is 1 block away and the resort fee of 15$ daily entitles you to 2 cushioned chairs with an umbrella (a 30$ value on the beach).

We liked this hotel so much that after we check out and into another prepaid hotel, we just could not get comfortable. So we checked out without being able to receive a refund, lost our money and checked back into the Z Ocean Hotel (known as the De Soleil at the time). We stayed in the Penthouse suite the first night back and switched to the Spa suite after that because the roof top terrace w/ hot tub can be viewed by neighboring hotels and lacks privacy. They said they were looking into fixing that problem. Also you have to pay a resort fee on your first day which you cant use because check in is around the time is the beach chair company closes That was my only complaint. Maybe they'll revise that policy in the future to be more fair. That was my only complaint and no hotel is perfect. I've stayed in many hotels in South Beach and I go there every year. This is the best hotel we ever stayed in there and when you compare this to other luxury hotels, it is worth every penny. It is a bit expensive and did require us to save our money ahead of time. They will also give you a tour of the rooms if you are already there and you want to see them before you book. These rooms are good for any occasion, whether it be pleasure or business.

WRITTEN BY CINDERELLA & JUAN N.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cinderella7707
Claudia0468, Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, June 11, 2009
We hope you return very soon. We are very excited to hear your comments and the details of your experience. We truly take all suggestions and implement new ideas to make each stay completely perfect. We hope that if choose South Beach as your next destination, you allow our property to be your host hotel once again!
Thank you for your feedback!
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2009

Love this hotel. Booked it under its old name - De Soleil - becuase it was on Ocean but at the quieter end and near to Lincoln Mall. The price matched similar hotels, so I was surprised by the spaciousness of the rooms, particularly the bathrooms, the facilities (two tvs for example) and how attentive the staff were - the maid was really meticulous. The bar and restaurant (Table8) were lovely but the pool was the real delight. I didn't expect such a lovely environment atop an Ocean Drive hotel. Had a fantastic stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank 44Jon
Jersey City, NJ USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2009

I stayed here one night on Memorial Day 2009. I was able to book partially thru Priority Rewards points I had accumulated; I did not have enough for one free night, but I was able to purchase enough points to get enough for one free night; the total came out to about $105, which was great since the cheapest room available for the night was $600. I wasn't sure if this was a typo or not, but after staying in the room I can only imagine that it wasn't.

Arrival-
The front doors open as you walk in; the front lobby is small but modern. Check-in was a breeze, and we received a room on the 3rd floor with a balcony and city view. Location is right at the start (or end) or Ocean Drive, while still being close to Lincoln Road and on Espanola way (convenient to bars/restaurants).

Room-
The room was huge - larger than any other I've stayed in previously. It had a kitchen area with fridge and microwave, living room area, large comfy bed, 2 sinks (great for a couple who doesn't like sharing sinks to get ready!) , toilet and a very large shower with 6 showerheads. Everything about the room seemed to scream luxury, from the 2 flat screen TV's, to the Bose speaker system - top notch. On top of that, it had a balcony, although admittedly the view from the balcony was only of Collins Ave and of some adjacent buildings.

Amenities-
The pool area is simple but nice. The main pool is on the 2nd floor, and has glass panels on the bottom. This is made so that people in the lounge area near the lobby can see you as you swim by - pretty cool stuff and would make for a really cool picture of you/ spouse/kids! (unfortunately I didn't take any). Adjacent to the pool is the hot tub, complete with a waterfall - also very cool. The pools are overlooked by a number of rooms as well. I didn't venture to their restaurant or bar.

Overall-
I left extremely pleased with this hotel. The going weekday rate seemed to be around $180, and at t his price (or even more) I'd consider going back. If you can use your points it would make the deal even sweeter.

Pros:
Location
Excellent room accommodations
pool area

cons:
none really

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shadowsjc
Claudia0468, Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, June 2, 2009
Thank you for your great feedback. Memorial Weekend is a big event in South Beach and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the amenities our hotel has to offer. We are glad that you are part of our preferred membership and hope that you will soon be able to return and enjoy staying with us once again. Thank you again, we will share your comments with our associates.
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

I have stayed at all four incarnations of this property since it opened around 2006. Originally it was The Regent, then Vincci Beach, and then Hotel de Soleil. A few weeks ago it was rebranded as Z Beach Hotel. Fortunately, each time I stay my experience becomes more pleasant.

There's really not a better location in terms of diversity in all of South Beach, which I why I continue to offer my patronage despite less-than-stellar previous experiences. The hotel is located at 15th and Collins, just a couple blocks away from the beginning of Lincoln Road and just off the far, quieter end of Ocean Drive ... across the street from the beach. Thus, there are plenty of things to keep you busy within easy walking distance without the obnoxious noises that surround most of the hotels on Ocean between 5th and 12th Streets.

The rooms are generously sized and have very comfortable beds with feather duvets both under the sheets (on top of the mattress) and on top. There's a Nespresso coffee-maker that gets replenished daily, a powerful rain shower with accompanying massage jets, generous amounts of Aveda toiletries, two large plasma TVs, a functional work counter in the kitchen area that serves as the desk, and a large balcony with table, chairs, and loungers. Wireless internet was free, though I never got a great signal and opted to use my Sprint wireless service instead. Just about the only downfall was that my room had no bathtub.

Housekeeping was exceptional for SoBe. Each day the service was fantastic and thorough. I never had any problems like I have often had at the other dozen or so properties we often visit on the beach. Additionally, the front desk staff was courteous and eager to satisfy, although a few things still fell through the cracks (namely, my dry cleaning was temporarily delayed because of miscommunication but was corrected within 24 hours). In fact, all the staff I encountered were helpful and in positive moods.

The primary restaurant in the hotel, Table 8, was rather quiet on this latest trip. In the past, this was one of the most difficult restaurants to book in all of SoBe. I suspect the general economic downturn is at play. There's now also a sushi bar in the hotel called Zushi Flirt. Just about everyone at the pool was raving about its quality, although there was the natural grumbling about the price, as well. Given the kitchenette in the room, I suppose it's possible to make your own (small) meals and reduce eating costs. But you'd have to request the tableware and pots. Plus, there's a warning on the small refrigerator that it's not really a refrigerator but rather only a cooler. I'm not quite sure what that means -- my milk stayed fresh for three days in there. Further, eating out is one of the highlights of South Beach so why bother cooking!

The pool was inviting, with the temperature being appropriately warm five of my six days. The beach across the street has ample chairs and umbrellas. The mandatory $15 per day resort fee pays for those, and you share the facilities with a couple other neighboring hotels. It was never crowded and it is well run.

Overall I enjoyed myself here and observed a marked improvement in quality and hospitality. Note that this is a Crowne Plaza property, so you might be able to use your Priority Club points to upgrade! If you're looking for a comfortable, modern room with a small kitchenette, cozy bed, and excellent location -- as well as a reasonable price -- Z Ocean should be on your list of candidates. I will certainly return.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank VonderHogl
Claudia0468, Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, May 28, 2009
Your comments are most grateful. We enjoy getting positive feedback and are very proud of our new brand and its positive changes. We are sure upon you return, our service will continue to improve and your experience will be a most pleasant one. We will share your comments with our associates and we thank you for your patronage and your feedback!