“Getting better with each change of management.”

Z Ocean Hotel South Beach
Ranked #11 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Vienna, Austria
“Getting better with each change of management.”
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I have stayed at all four incarnations of this property since it opened around 2006. Originally it was The Regent, then Vincci Beach, and then Hotel de Soleil. A few weeks ago it was rebranded as Z Beach Hotel. Fortunately, each time I stay my experience becomes more pleasant.

There's really not a better location in terms of diversity in all of South Beach, which I why I continue to offer my patronage despite less-than-stellar previous experiences. The hotel is located at 15th and Collins, just a couple blocks away from the beginning of Lincoln Road and just off the far, quieter end of Ocean Drive ... across the street from the beach. Thus, there are plenty of things to keep you busy within easy walking distance without the obnoxious noises that surround most of the hotels on Ocean between 5th and 12th Streets.

The rooms are generously sized and have very comfortable beds with feather duvets both under the sheets (on top of the mattress) and on top. There's a Nespresso coffee-maker that gets replenished daily, a powerful rain shower with accompanying massage jets, generous amounts of Aveda toiletries, two large plasma TVs, a functional work counter in the kitchen area that serves as the desk, and a large balcony with table, chairs, and loungers. Wireless internet was free, though I never got a great signal and opted to use my Sprint wireless service instead. Just about the only downfall was that my room had no bathtub.

Housekeeping was exceptional for SoBe. Each day the service was fantastic and thorough. I never had any problems like I have often had at the other dozen or so properties we often visit on the beach. Additionally, the front desk staff was courteous and eager to satisfy, although a few things still fell through the cracks (namely, my dry cleaning was temporarily delayed because of miscommunication but was corrected within 24 hours). In fact, all the staff I encountered were helpful and in positive moods.

The primary restaurant in the hotel, Table 8, was rather quiet on this latest trip. In the past, this was one of the most difficult restaurants to book in all of SoBe. I suspect the general economic downturn is at play. There's now also a sushi bar in the hotel called Zushi Flirt. Just about everyone at the pool was raving about its quality, although there was the natural grumbling about the price, as well. Given the kitchenette in the room, I suppose it's possible to make your own (small) meals and reduce eating costs. But you'd have to request the tableware and pots. Plus, there's a warning on the small refrigerator that it's not really a refrigerator but rather only a cooler. I'm not quite sure what that means -- my milk stayed fresh for three days in there. Further, eating out is one of the highlights of South Beach so why bother cooking!

The pool was inviting, with the temperature being appropriately warm five of my six days. The beach across the street has ample chairs and umbrellas. The mandatory $15 per day resort fee pays for those, and you share the facilities with a couple other neighboring hotels. It was never crowded and it is well run.

Overall I enjoyed myself here and observed a marked improvement in quality and hospitality. Note that this is a Crowne Plaza property, so you might be able to use your Priority Club points to upgrade! If you're looking for a comfortable, modern room with a small kitchenette, cozy bed, and excellent location -- as well as a reasonable price -- Z Ocean should be on your list of candidates. I will certainly return.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank VonderHogl
Claudia0468, Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, May 28, 2009
Your comments are most grateful. We enjoy getting positive feedback and are very proud of our new brand and its positive changes. We are sure upon you return, our service will continue to improve and your experience will be a most pleasant one. We will share your comments with our associates and we thank you for your patronage and your feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 25, 2009

Great costumer service, they went out of their way when they knew we were getting married at the beach, we even got chocolate covered strawberries courtesy of the hotel. Our suite was great with great views to collins ave. The only problem we had was that the a/c wasn't working great the las three nights, they came three times and finally fixed it at the end, but I'm sure it was just my suite. Other than that I would totally come back to this hotel. Everybody in Miami is soooo nice and helpful!This hotel is in an excellent location,in the middle of South Beach. Just 2 blocks from Lincoln Rd, and Ocean Drive is the hotel's back entrance. Visit Espanola Way and eat at Tapas & Tintos, awesome Spanish food. Also, go to Mango's in Ocean Drive, we had a great time, great food, drinks and environment.Try to do Duck Tour, Everglades Tour and Key West from Miami tour, we loved everything. By the way, getting married in South Beach was the best experience of my life!

2 Thank Billy684
Congratulations on your wedding. We are very excited to have been a part of this very special moment in your life. South Beach is wonderful for ceremonies and we are most grateful that your days in our property were memorable ones. We hope you return upon each anniversary celebration and that you allow us to be of service. Congratulations again and wishing you and your partner many years of happiness!
Arizona
Reviewed May 20, 2009

We stayed in a "penthouse" suite for a night prior to flying back home from Miami intl, after a trip to the Bahamas. The room rate was $420 per night, for that we got a small suite, with views of a construction site next door. The Spa/Jacuzzi was ok, on a "private" terrace above the room, which just about every hotel in the area had a great view of.

If you stay here, prepare to get nickel and dime'd all the way, with that room rate I don't expect to pay $5.50 for a bottle of water!

Considering the room rate we had high expectations, and considering the amount of other great hotels in the area, I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

1 Thank rockstar75
Thank you for your comments. We apologize that your stay was not as you expected. We are unaware of any construction in our area; perhaps you meant the empty lot next to the property; it would have been a pleasure to change your room to a better view upon availability as our main goal is to ensure all our guests are pleased. Perhaps during your next visit to Miami Beach, you will allow us another opportunity to ensure your stay is most pleasant. Thank you again.
Wareham, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 20, 2009

I just returned from a 2 night stay at the Z Ocean and in a word it was fantastic. I had read online where the owner wasn't thrilled about bringing in the Crowne Plaza group, but I must say that he is truly mistaken. From Victoria and Alex at the front desk, to the unseen employees who set up our rooftop jacuzzi, the service was excellent. The exterior and the interior of the hotel show an attention to detail that is usually reserved for a $500 a night hotel. The Z Ocean experience is close to that in price, but I found the value to be as good as anything you'll find on South Beach. There is also a modern flair to the Z Ocean. From the automatic doors, to the very well designed and appointed rooms. It all adds to the SoBe experience. Upon arrival we were upgraded (by the incredibly friendly and professional Alex and Victoria) to the rooftop jacuzzi suite. We had booked a spa suite but the upgrade was thoughtful and appreciated. The suite was beautiful, and the rooftop was complete with a generous area that housed; a wetbar, table and chairs, lounging mattresses, and fresh towels to go with even more jacuzzi side mattresses. All of the bath products in the amazing bathroom (complete with rain shower and two make-up areas) are Aveda and the bed was extraordinary. I would recommend this hotel to any couples that are looking to be in the middle of it all, but also enjoy a quiet and extremely comfortable stay. Thanks Z Ocean.
ps This hotel was also very quiet. We slept like babies!

1 Thank BostonTheo
Thank you for your fantastic feedback and your kudos for Victoria and Alex. We will definitely share the information with them. It is our pleasure to provide great service and we hope that you return very soon and enjoy our property once again.
Thank you again!!
Bloomington IL
Reviewed April 28, 2009

Great hotel across the street from beach. Room was clean, large, and modern. Great full body shower. Balcony overlooking beautiful outdoor pool and jacuzzi. Nothing to complain about with this property.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dyana1968
Claudia0468, Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, May 11, 2009
Thank you for your great feedback! We truly enjoy sharing your comments with our staff. We hope you return to South Beach very soon and stay once again at our property!
Birmingham
Reviewed April 28, 2009

There's an awful lot to say - but others have said it better than I. The pool is great, the feel & style of the hotel is modern, the restaurant and bar are cool and relaxing. The room was swish. Overall, 9 out of 10.
Where the '1 out of 10' is lost is that the hotel 'too cool'. For example, our spa suite had two flat-screen TVs - one with cable, digital, cinema sound etc.. As a result it took me 10 minutes just to get a channel to display as the two multi-function remotes were far too clever for my addled old mind.
The Tassimo coffee maker I'm sure is wonderful, but give me a kettle any day.
Minor gripes.

To all UK visitors... don't forget to add the 3 lot of taxes to the room rate (an additional 15%) + $15 resort fee !

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Claudia0468, Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, April 30, 2009
Thank you for your comments! Your feedback gives us a great opportunity to follow up with our team and ensure quick instructions to our guests are given for the "cool" tools we provide! We hope you return next time you visit South Beach and that your stay is a perfect one with us!
Thank you again for the great feedback!!
New York
Reviewed April 23, 2009

The fact that the hotel is super clean, humble and informative staff, and an unbelievable location....is a bonus! What really makes this hotel stick out is the private hot tubs in the rooms and the pool with the glass bottom. Come on...there's a voyeur in all of us!

I didn't have to go anywhere to find great food. Two unique restaurants, Zushi Flirt and Table 8... great food and sexy people.
Besides the pool and hot tub, we spent a day at the hotel's beach club across the street. Great all around. Will definitely recommend it to all my friends.

oh...the hotel even has their own private garage underneath the hotel, so we didn't have to wait for the car at all. Last time we stayed at a different hotel, the valet took 30 Minutes to get our rental and we almost missed our flight.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Claudia0468, Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, April 27, 2009
Thank you for your feedback; we appreciate receiving your comments and love to share them with our team. We take great pride in ensuring all our guests have a fantastic time and experience in all our venues. We hope you will return soon and choose once again to stay at our beautiful property.
Thank you again!!