“Nice hotel, rather calm, good standing except wifi not included”

Z Ocean Hotel South Beach
Ranked #12 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I stayed in one of the penthouses. The room was great, there were even two sinks in separate bathrooms, HD tv set, a full minibar and a private jacuzzi on the rooftop.
The main negative point of this place is the wifi available for 14$ a day !!!
The breakfast at the front proch café which is just downstairs is good but don't order breakfast in your room. There is not much to eat and the food is not even good.
Very quiet room unlike some other places on Oceans Drive ! Depends what you are looking for !

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cassandre L
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear Cassandre L,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, your kind words are greatly appreciated. Thank you for the feedback and we are happy that you enjoyed your Rooftop Terrace Suite. You'll be glad to know that effective January 1st, 2014 WiFi throughout the hotel will be given out to all guests that join our IHG Rewards program. As for the Front Porch I am sorry that you had a poor room service experience during your visit, if you would like to discuss further please email me at frank.fuentes@ihg.com. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Z Ocean Hotel South Beach

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Z Ocean is a top rate hotel. Let me say this the Customer Service is Outstanding!!!! All the Front Desk Personnel were excellent. Mickey the concierge is great. The Bartender Istvan well lets just say his friendliness and mixing skills are top notch this guy can make a cocktail do not miss out on him. Front Porch Cafe is a must for breakfast the portions are very generous. As for the hotel itself the rooms are spacious enjoyed the cooler, microwave, and double restroom with mirrors kind had a his and her feel which is great. The roof top terrace was a nice view to catch the city and lounge out during day. The one thing that I didn't like is the pillows are not comfortable I had a kink in my neck and the spacing between the headboard was off I figured it would be flush with the bed but there was a generous size split that had me confused. Other than that i did not let that get to me because the staff was great and accommodating. The hotel is a great location away from the loudness but close enough to the action in SOBE. Your close to many other restaurants and entertainment action. The valet was quick to get our vehicle. Would i stay here again of course.

Dear travelcouple89,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach your feedback is greatly appreciated. We truly do care about all our guests and the staff work very hard to always exceed guest expectation. It brings us great joy to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you loved your suite.... our bathrooms are the best especially when you have to share those double vanities come in handy.... I'll pass on your comments to the team especially our bartenders who are true mixologists. I apologize for the pillow situation and next time let us know and we will accommodate some extra pillows so they don't slip behind the headboard. We hope that the Z Ocean Ocean will be your Miami home away from home. On your next trip please shoot me an email so I can see to your arrangements personally.

All the best and happy holidays.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Don't know where to begin with this hotel. Outstanding service, rooms, restaurants and staff.
I looked to find flaw. 6 jet shower his and her separate bath vanities. full bar in room with Nespresso Coffee Maker on wet bar 2 TV sets and Bose Radio System.

Restaurants downstairs The Front Porch Café was outstanding. My wife pointed out people showed up in cabs to have Breakfast and Lunch ?? We tried it and sure enough I would take a cab myself for this restaurant. Service beyond great. Going to Miami Just go Z Hotel on Collins Ave don't waste time anywhere else.

Room Tip: just stay here Really !
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear LRUSSO-REALTOR,

Thank you for taking the time to review to review the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach. Your review is AWESOME... you wrote "I looked to find a flaw" and since you didn't list any I guess it was a perfect stay!!!! We are very proud of our little boutique hotel nestled in the heart of south beach and our hotel restaurant the Front Porch Cafe is really the best place to have breakfast or lunch guests/tourists come from all over Miami to have a meal here.

Forbes Travel Guide recently (11/2013) wrote that if your only visiting Miami for 24 hours our Front Porch Cafe was the place to have breakfast. Even Will and Jada Smith interviewed (American Way Magazine) both said the Front Porch was their local favorite while in Miami so your in great company when it comes to our restaurant.

Our showers are truly wonderful.... I call them the car wash, lather up and turn on the six jets and rain shower and just turn slowly....pure ecstasy!!!

We look forward to welcoming you both back soon here at the Z Ocean.

Happy holidays,

Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is not a cheap hotel but excellent for the price. Not much to look at outside but stylish lobby and wonderful rooms. We had a rooftop terrace which was a lot of fun. Have been in Florida for several weeks now and have to say that the bed is the most comfortable we have had. We have found the staff , especially the concierge very friendly and effective.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear SteveHutchison

Thank you for your kind words on your recent visit to the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach your feedback is much appreciated. We are glad to hear that you were able to stay in our Rooftop Terrace Suite these rooms are our signature suites, with private deck with a hot tub, wet bar, retractable sunshade and a daybed why go anywhere!!! We should sell our bedding we get so many compliments on how comfortable they are it's a shame not to have a Z-Bed at your home. Since we don't you'll have to come back and visit soon!! We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Take care and happy holidays,

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Was greeted by the valet who was friendly and helpful. Was taken to reception where the staff were fantastic and gave us a glass of champagne whilst they took our details. We went for the rooftop terrace suite which was incredible and so unique for a hotel. They told us that anytime we wanted the jacuzzi filled they would be up to do so.
We were also given directions to the z-ocean sun loungers on the beach where we were supplied with towels and had people to supply us with drinks to our loungers (which could be charged to the room).
As an added bonus, as we were on our honeymoon we were surprised when we had a knock at the door and were given a chilled bottle of champagne!
Overall, awesome resort. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Go for the roof terrace suite if you want something special.

Dear Chris P,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Z Ocean Hotel and "Congratulations" on your wedding and choosing us to celebrate your honeymoon!! Your feedback is greatly appreciated. It brings us great joy to know that you two had such a good time at the hotel and that the service was outstanding. The staff work extremely hard to ensure that they exceed all guest expectations. Our beach club is truly unique all you need to do is present your room key and your then provided towels, chairs, umbrellas and food and beverage all by the dedicated team that has the rough job of attending our beautiful beach daily. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future perhaps first year anniversary??

All the best and happy holidays

Reviewed November 18, 2013

This is a great hotel - the Rooftop Suites offer fabulous space to spread out and relax during the day, and the hot tub to enjoy when the sun goes down. It's nice having somewhere semi-private to sunbathe, though the ocean views aren't anything to write home about (at least not from PH #1 where I stayed). They call it 'partial' view for a reason!

The rooms are satisfactory, and the bathrooms exceptional. Front Porch Cafe is great to eat in (though hopeless at room service, you could end up with anything - IF they pick up the phone), and the location can't be beaten.

I stayed at this hotel as part of a long trip following stays at the Mondrian and the Standard, which are infinitely cooler but don't offer the same personal space and location. It's really about deciding what drives you more - a cool scene, a full-scale spa, or privacy & personal luxury? Z Ocean suited me, and I'm due to return there shortly for another 8-day stay - it's a good way to start or end a trip when you just want to relax. I'm using it as a pre-Basel warm-up, to get a tan and relax privately before moving to the Shore Club where the party scene will no doubt be more 'ramped up' than here during Art Basel.

I'd definitely recommend this to the more sophisticated traveller who appreciates peace and quiet, private space, fantastic bathrooms with top-of-the-line shower, but still wants to be within footsteps of the action.

I would recommend everyone here books either the Rooftop or lanai suites - I can't see the point of choosing a private, quiet hotel like this unless you go for one of those.

The lady who cleans the top floor is exceptionally friendly and even asked me if she could get me anything when I spent the last day of my stay suffering with flu. She's very sweet and attentive, and I hope she's still in situ when I return next week!

Room Tip: Rooftop Terrace suites are the only way to go
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear IKON12,

Thanks so much for your kind remarks about your stay at here at the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach. We’re really proud of the warm, intimate boutique atmosphere we create at the hotel and we’re so glad to hear you enjoyed your luxury visit to the vibrant center of South Beach, Miami. You really did visit the best pre and post staying at the Z Ocean all great hotels here in Miami and as you stated all offer something different for the traveler. We strive everyday to make our home feel like yours, while exposing you to the spectacular sights, sounds and tastes of South Florida. Thank you for all of the kind words about the staff they work very hard to exceed guest expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and I will be sure to share your review with our team.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed at the Z Ocean Hotel while on vacation in South Beach and I had a great experience. This hotel is at the start of the Ocean Dr. strip which means that you are in all of the action without actually hearing all of the action.

Check in: The staff were very friendly and helpful during the entire check in process. When we arrived our room wasn't ready yet, however the staff will call you to let you know when it is ready later on, which was such a nice touch. You are able to use all of the amenities while you wait as well.

Room: We were in the Lanai suite with a view of the pool/hot tub. The room was very spacious, complete with his and her sink areas, a massaging shower with multiple jets, a stylish kitchenette, sitting area, comfortable bed and my personal favorite: a Nespresso machine. The only thing to be aware of if you book the Lanai suite is that since it does back onto the pool/hot tub, privacy is limited while this area is open. Although there are signs letting other guests know that the chairs outside your balcony door are for your use only, they seem to ignore the signs and use your area anyways. We had to keep our blackout blinds during the day and use our lamps, which didn't quite seem to make any sense at this "green" hotel.

Pool area/Beach: Both the pool and hot tub were very nice to use. Both were clean and there is a little bar area with very good piña coladas. The hotel backs onto Ocean Dr., so the beach is about a 2-5 minute walk. The hotel provides towels and umbrellas as well included in the resort fee.

Overall: I enjoyed staying that Z Ocean Hotel. I really enjoyed the location of this hotel as during the evening, we could step outside and enjoy the action that South Beach has to offer, but still have a very quiet sleep at night. I will definitely be back to the Z Ocean when staying in South Beach, but I do not think I'll choose to stay in the Lanai Suite again.

1  Thank GuyaneseMadness

Dear GuyaneseMadness,

We really appreciate you taking the time to review the Z Ocean South Beach. Thank you for your kind words about our staff and your interaction with the team during your visit. In south beach there are many boutique hotels that offer great pools and restaurants ours being one of them we are pleased you stayed with us. As for the Pool Lanai Suites they are amazing with the access to pool deck and hot tub but as you stated a bit not so private if you want to relax on your terrace. You should have told us and we would have happily moved you to a more private suite for your convenience. We strive to make our staff and the levels of service the key difference when it comes to our guests. On all you really seemed to have enjoyed the Z Ocean and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.