“Perfect location!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Oslo
“Perfect location!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Clean hotel with friendly staff. Really good food and prices at the restaurant, and in the weekend its packed with guests at the restaurant from early till late.
The rooms are spacious with a big balcony, the bathrooms got a good size and the bed was very comfy. The service was very professional and polite.
The location is one minute walk to the beach and 5-10 minute walk down to the main part of south beach where all the partying is on. It was perfect staying at the end of the strip while being able to walk to everything. Comfy sunbeds at the beach included in the resort fee, which we really enjoyed!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear gun0,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, reviews such as these make us very proud as we strive daily to over deliver on customer service and hospitality and to say PERFECT is truly an honor!! Being that South Beach has numerous boutique hotels, our goal at the Z is to separate ourselves from the competition by offering service levels that are second to none. We hope to invite you back to south beach soon so you can enjoy the Z Ocean once again.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed at the Z Ocean Hotel in South Beach for a long weekend in May and generally had a good experience. I had a rooftop penthouse that was incredibly spacious and comfortable; the furniture and decor is showing some age and wear but otherwise no real complaints. The shower was fantastic (rain shower head, plus body jets, etc.), and the Aveda bath products were also a great touch. I loved the privacy of my rooftop deck, even though the view of the city left a little to be desired, as did the traffic noise. The location on Collins was fantastic, though, with a lot of good restaurants, shops, the beach, etc. within easy walking distance. Great place for a solo traveler but would also be really good for groups of friends or couples.

Service was excellent throughout the stay: from the the front desk staff to the bellmen to the concierge - all were pleasant, helpful, and went out of their way to help provide a good experience. But the real high point from a service standpoint was housekeeping. If the light for room clean-up was turned on (which is a great feature, incidentally), they consistently responded to it *and* finished their work inside of an hour, and they were very thorough each and every time. Really stellar folks in housekeeping - couldn't say enough good about them.

My only real complaint about the hotel was the design/quality of the fitness center. It is located right near the main hallway and lounge/bar area, which wouldn't be so bad except that it's largely an open-air room, which sounds great in concept but isn't terribly practical. First, it can get pretty hot in there in the afternoons since it is exposed to outside air/temperatures and is largely just cooled with ceiling fans. Most days, I went in the morning, though, and it wasn't too bad then. However, a few different times, people were smoking on the sofas right outside the fitness center, and I got a very strong smell of the cigarette smoke while exercising. The fitness center itself, while small, is fairly well equipped, but both of the yoga mats they had for guest use were in horrible shape - literally falling apart and just filthy. They were cheap quality mats to begin with, so management really needs to spring for another $15 and replace them. To be fair, the black residue that is all over them seems to have come from the flooring in the center and isn't necessarily dirt/grime. But either way, you're just covered black filth and bits of the decomposing mat after doing yoga on them. The open air design also meant that there was a lot of external noise invading the fitness center. One day I was in there, there were three different kinds of music playing and competing with each other - one from speakers piped into the fitness center, one from the nearby lounge/bar, and one from someone sitting right outside the fitness center who had brought their own gear. It was incredibly distracting for a yoga practice, to say the least. Thankfully, that was the worst of it, and most mornings, it was fairly quiet and peaceful in there.

Food was decent, if nothing spectacular, at the adjoining Front Porch Cafe, and the service there was consistently good. The menu is huge and pretty vegetarian-friendly. They have a fresh-pressed vegetable juice on the menu that was great, and the fruit bowl was also fabulous with exceptionally fresh and good quality produce. The house-made veggie burger was decent as well.

The spicy Ginger Martini in the lounge was divine, and the bartenders were always pleasant and attentive.

Given the fitness center issues, I probably wouldn't stay there again. (I can only assume there are so few other complaints about the fitness center, because most people go to South Beach to party and not work out!) But unless you are really religious about using the fitness center on your stay, I wouldn't let that deter you; it's a very good place otherwise.

Room Tip: penthouse can't be beat
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank srindar
Dear Srindar,

Thank you for your honest feedback on your recent stay here at the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach it is much appreciated and very helpful, as it allows us the opportunity to improve as a hotel. Firstly I would like to apologize for the issues that you had with our fitness center and the condition of yoga mats, this concern is taken very seriously and we have recently purchased new mats are currently in the process of making some changes to improve our equipment. We would hope that our fitness room would deter you from returning to our hotel on your next visit we would be delighted to provide you with some passes to fitness club a few blocks away that I am sure would meet your requirements for working out. As for the detailed review of our suites and staff thank you so much I have passed on your kind words to the department heads to share with their staff. The Front Porch Cafe is a great local spot for many years and we have been fortunate enough to have them with us now for nearly three years. The best breakfast and lunch on the beach far none!!!! We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future, please feel free to reach out to me for your next trip to south beach so that I can see to your arrangements personally.

All the best

South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I was quite worried about our stay as I'd heard some stories about South Beach hotels having bad customer service, small rooms, noise and poor views. We hit gold with this hotel. Champagne on arrival, service with a smile, lovely spacious room and an ideal location. The staff were quick to attend to anything that you asked them for, including filling the tub or changing the cover on the sun lounger after rain. The room was always cleaned before 1pm. We enjoyed champagne in the jacuzzi on our rooftop terrace with views of the Atlantic Ocean every morning before breakfast. It doesn't get much better. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever stayed in and the breakfast the tastiest ever. The beach is right across the road and the attendants were really friendly. Shame the week had to end, really ...

Room Tip: ALWAYS go for a room with a terrace. They're so good, you'd be a fool not to.
Dear VikiBirchall,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, the feedback is greatly appreciated. It pleases us to hear that we exceeded your expectation in regards to service, this is what we aim to do for all guests that step foot in the Z. The kind words about the staff and what great service you received was truly appreciated. Like you said to bad it was only for a short visit , we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My son and I vacationed in Miami Beach last week. We stayed in one of the roof top suites at the Z Ocean and enjoyed every minute of it. Everything was perfect! The suite was spacious and the furnishings are ultra-contemporary and sleek with a great bathroom. The hotel staff was fabulous………Four stars to Mickey, Jessica, Gabriela, and Kristin! They are professional, friendly and take extra care to ensure you have a wonderful experience. Whenever I visit Miami Beach I plan to stay at the Z!

Mrs. Pryor and Christopher

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Regina P,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay here at the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach. We are very happy to learn that you and your son enjoyed our suites and location in the heart of South Beach. The words you chose "ultra-contemporary and sleek with a great bathroom" truly describe our hotel I would like to thank you for the recognition and hope to welcoming you back soon.

Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Everything was fantastic, Starting with Kristen at the front desk. Even the Beach Guy said that the Z is tops when it comes to service. Been to Betsy and the Tides and the Z beats them (as long as you can get a rooftop/penthouse) The rooftop with the rollaway covering made it awesome. We had a Bachelor party staying next to us..great guys and they partied, however, the sound was very minimal due to the construction of the building. Close the glass doors and keeps all the noise out.

Also, perfect location on 14th/Collins. Lincoln Rd a few blocks away, stroll to the Raleigh another few blocks and just around the corner of Ocean. Three liquor stores on the block and the Front Proch Cafe was awesome for room service..

Been to South Beach over 10 times and this will be our new ground Zero.

Room Tip: PH 11, 10, 9 are the best in the hotel. Spluge for the rooftop.
Dear sirideal,

Thank you for your candid review on your recent stay at the Z Ocean is much appreciated. Wow the hotels you compared us to are all excellent hotels with great reputations and to be your favorite thank you very much!!!! I completely agree with you in regards to our rooftops with rolling shades and hot tubs, sound system and sunbed are amazing.. I've shared your wonderful comments with the front desk team especially Kristen who says hello.... don't be a stranger we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Lakeland, FL
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel after a cruise, so we were checking in around 10 am. The valet and baggage guy were courteous and prompt. The people at the front desk were great, and I was told I would be called when my room was ready, which I've heard from other places and probably means I'll have to call them around 3 or 4 pm to see if my room was ready. I was shocked and impressed that they called me at 11 am to tell me the room was ready! When we got back, they sent the luggage right up.

The room was gorgeous. We stayed in a rooftop penthouse with a partial ocean view. The kitchen area had a microwave, refrigerator (and not just a mini bar, so we could actually use it), glassware, sink and bar seats. The room was good sized with an entertainment center separating the living room with the bed. The bathroom had two sinks and counters separated by the toilet. The only down side of this room was there wasn't quite as much privacy with the toilet if someone else was in the bathroom, but there are two sliding doors that separate the bathroom from everything else, so that helped. The bed was very comfortable.

The best part about this room was the balcony/rooftop. The balcony was good sized with a table and three chairs. There was a spiral staircase that took you up to the rooftop, which was about the same size as the room underneath. It had a Jacuzzi tub with plenty of room for two people, another mini fridge, and an oversized padded chaise facing the ocean, and the view was great.

Overall, Z Ocean is a not-too-large hotel that has a great location. The room was beautiful, was spacious, and had things most hotels could only dream of providing. I will definitely be staying in this hotel again the next time I visit Miami Beach!

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for kind words on the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach is truly appreciated, it always pleases me to hear when the staff execute and create the perfect guest experience and our check in procedure is wonderful. If your rooms not ready when you arrive just start your vacation and we will call you as soon as your ready for you.... I am glad that you felt a warm welcome from our team they are huge assets for the hotel.

As for your detailed description of our Rooftop Terrace Suite it could not have been more perfect... the space it provides is truly unique and no other hotel around us has this feature. You didn't mention if you had a chance to use your hot tub.. perhaps ocean was too beautiful to resist. Lakeland, FL. is not to far away and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Z real soon....

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We decided to go to Miami for our honeymoon and this hotel, in my opinion, is the best spot on the strip.

The layout is amazing, all suite rooms with marble floors, dual plasma screens, dark wood cabinets and a shower that can fit 4! The shower, with 3 front nozzles and an overhead is without a doubt, all the reason you need to stay at this hotel.

The balconies are huge, all of them in each room and stretch the distance of these oversized rooms which was a huge plus for us. You can upgrade to get one with a hot tube outside.

The location is amazing, across the street is a NYC Dinner that used to be a club and on the other side is the beach! Down 1 block is Lincoln with all the best restaurants and people watching in South Beach and Washington is 2 blocks in the other direction...this is the spot to be in you want the best of South Beach!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Jimmye1212,

Your review of your recent stay at the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach is greatly appreciated, a real boutique experience is what we try to create everyday day for all of our guests. Our unique hotel truly does have what other don't a true suite experience with over-sized room, large showers (room for six in some units) and balconies on every suite is what makes the Z truly special. Second is location walk out our doorstep and everything is a short walk away night clubs, shopping and best dining in all of South Beach. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Z in the near future.

Director of Sales & Marketing

PS... you really know the area if you remember when Jerry's was a nightclub (warsaw)